SM-T978U Odin Firmware Flash

Search This thread

jmwfl2000

May 14, 2008
Purchased a sim unlocked SM-T978U (Verizon Tab S7+ 5G) and am trying to flash the unlocked or Tmobile stock firmware to it. I've gotten "passed" flashes everything when flashing all of the files from the corresponding stock firmwares, but everything it boots back into the Verizon firmware. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong that would cause this? I've probably flashed this thing 20 times at this point.

jmwfl2000

May 14, 2008
Thought that was part of flashing it with the patched version of Odin with a different CSC version of the firmware, but I've not done this before. Any suggestions or resources you can point to on how to do this? Thanks!

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
  • Thought that was part of flashing it with the patched version of Odin with a different CSC version of the firmware, but I've not done this before. Any suggestions or resources you can point to on how to do this? Thanks!

patched odin only removes hash checks.. all the firmware has multi csc (all the usa csc) so simply flashing firmware doesnt change csc

jmwfl2000

May 14, 2008
    Any suggestions on how to change the CSC? I've hit a wall and haven't been able to find a way to change it and then flash the desired firmware.

patched odin only removes hash checks.. all the firmware has multi csc (all the usa csc) so simply flashing firmware doesnt change csc

jmwfl2000

May 14, 2008
    You need to flash with odin, wipe, then pop the other carrier sim in, on reboot it will boot with that carrier sw.

Ok, so SIM out, Odin flash with the TMB firmware. Then, what do you mean "wipe?" Is that just choosing the CSC file in Odin so that it resets all data, or some step after to wipe it?

jmwfl2000

May 14, 2008
    So I tried again with these steps and had the same result, back into the Verizon firmware.

Removed Tmobile Sim
    Odin flash TMB firmware
    Tablet reboots automatically into VZW firmware
    Then booted into recovery mode and performed a factory reset and cache wipe
    Reinserted Sim and reboot
    Tablet still boots into VZW firmware

I also tried this same process but with the unlocked "USC" firmware with the same results.

Am I supposed to somehow prevent the first boot after odin flash to perform the factory reset? I've tried that unsuccessfully but maybe I have the timing off or something.

Ok, so SIM out, Odin flash with the TMB firmware. Then, what do you mean "wipe?" Is that just choosing the CSC file in Odin so that it resets all data, or some step after to wipe it?

elliwigy

Staff member
    XDA App Taskforce
  • So I tried again with these steps and had the same result, back into the Verizon firmware.

Removed Tmobile Sim
    Odin flash TMB firmware
    Tablet reboots automatically into VZW firmware
    Then booted into recovery mode and performed a factory reset and cache wipe
    Reinserted Sim and reboot
    Tablet still boots into VZW firmware

I also tried this same process but with the unlocked "USC" firmware with the same results.

Am I supposed to somehow prevent the first boot after odin flash to perform the factory reset? I've tried that unsuccessfully but maybe I have the timing off or something.

dunno wat ur flashing but all the firmware is the same.. theyre all multi csc.. so simply flashing different firmwares wont change csc lol

cyb3r5c4r

Sep 3, 2010
    I don't know if this will help but on some samsung phones you can change the csc by opening the dailer and typing "*#272*IMEI number#"
    edit: IMEI must me copied from the about tablet section in the settings. Press on the IMEI for a second and it will be copied to clipboard. Typing the IMEI will not likely not work.

After entering this in the dailer a menu pops up and you can select csc. Note this will usually factory reset the device.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dvalin21

jcrompton

Nov 30, 2004
    Hurricane, WV
    Google Pixel 5
    Any update on this? I purchased an SM-T978U (on Samsung website that is t-mobile S7+)

I expected it to not be carrier or network locked but it was locked to the t-mobile network.
    Would love to flash an unlocked firmware but I can't find SM-T978U firmware, let alone U1 firmware...... I realize that flashing U1 firmware won't unlock the network but T-mobile support tells me the device can't possibly be truly carrier locked because the IMEI isn't even in their system. So I thought maybe the carrier lock is in their app tied to the system instead of the actual device??

Anyway has anyone found the firmware for these devices? Sammobile doesn't seem to list SM-T978 as a device

These devices don't have a dialer so entering the IMEI method mentioned above won't work unless there is a trick?

Reactions: briand92

K3N422

Apr 14, 2011
    Guys, for cross flashing, you must factory reset from within the OS before you flash. the newer security measures will not allow the device to accept even a full flash if the device is activation locked to an account. that is likely why you are flashing and still getting the vzw stuff to come up.

@elliwigy , though the devices are all loaded with multiple csc's, and you can change them on demand (if you know how), that will not automatically load the carrier branded bloatware that comes with each firmware, and certain settings that may, or may not, be enabled or disabled by the carrier. An example being native video calling that the verizon firmware has and the unlocked firmware does not.

I almost always flash my Verizon devices with the U1 XAA unlocked software. Among other things, this lets me get security patches faster, as i get them when sammy releases them, not when vzw gets around to it. I say almost always because there are still a few devices, like my tab s6, that are vzw models with some minor hardware changes that prevent it. But in the case of my Tab S7+ and my Note20Ultra, they are both rocking U1 XAA firmware.

elliwigy

Staff member
    XDA App Taskforce
  • Guys, for cross flashing, you must factory reset from within the OS before you flash. the newer security measures will not allow the device to accept even a full flash if the device is activation locked to an account. that is likely why you are flashing and still getting the vzw stuff to come up.

@elliwigy , though the devices are all loaded with multiple csc's, and you can change them on demand (if you know how), that will not automatically load the carrier branded bloatware that comes with each firmware, and certain settings that may, or may not, be enabled or disabled by the carrier. An example being native video calling that the verizon firmware has and the unlocked firmware does not.

I almost always flash my Verizon devices with the U1 XAA unlocked software. Among other things, this lets me get security patches faster, as i get them when sammy releases them, not when vzw gets around to it. I say almost always because there are still a few devices, like my tab s6, that are vzw models with some minor hardware changes that prevent it. But in the case of my Tab S7+ and my Note20Ultra, they are both rocking U1 XAA firmware.

not sure y u tagged me lol.. i know hiw csc works.. in fact, in my last comment before this one you can see I clearly said just flashing firmware won't change the csc? seems like basically what you said but in a few words 😅

Reactions: gitit20

tieman123

Aug 19, 2008
    Guys, for cross flashing, you must factory reset from within the OS before you flash. the newer security measures will not allow the device to accept even a full flash if the device is activation locked to an account. that is likely why you are flashing and still getting the vzw stuff to come up.

Where is this U1 XAA firmware to download? Specifically for the SM-T978U?

Silivanm

Jul 11, 2018
    I tried resetting before flashing and unchecked the auto-reboot but mine still returns to Tmobile. I just want the call and text on other devices feature.

Edit: I go the feature to work without flashing a new firmware but I am still looking for U1 XAA for the tab if anyone found it.

Last edited:

Eminimagic

Apr 11, 2021
    Purchased a sim unlocked SM-T978U (Verizon Tab S7+ 5G) and am trying to flash the unlocked or Tmobile stock firmware to it. I've gotten "passed" flashes everything when flashing all of the files from the corresponding stock firmwares, but everything it boots back into the Verizon firmware. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong that would cause this? I've probably flashed this thing 20 times at this point.
    I bought an unlocked Verizon Tab S7, probably same seller. Its brand new, stil has plastic on it. Are you wanting to unlock Tmobile 5G bands?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Where is this U1 XAA firmware to download? Specifically for the SM-T978U?
      I don't know if this will help but on some samsung phones you can change the csc by opening the dailer and typing "*#272*IMEI number#"
      edit: IMEI must me copied from the about tablet section in the settings. Press on the IMEI for a second and it will be copied to clipboard. Typing the IMEI will not likely not work.

After entering this in the dailer a menu pops up and you can select csc. Note this will usually factory reset the device.
      Any update on this? I purchased an SM-T978U (on Samsung website that is t-mobile S7+)

I expected it to not be carrier or network locked but it was locked to the t-mobile network.
      Would love to flash an unlocked firmware but I can't find SM-T978U firmware, let alone U1 firmware...... I realize that flashing U1 firmware won't unlock the network but T-mobile support tells me the device can't possibly be truly carrier locked because the IMEI isn't even in their system. So I thought maybe the carrier lock is in their app tied to the system instead of the actual device??

Anyway has anyone found the firmware for these devices? Sammobile doesn't seem to list SM-T978 as a device

These devices don't have a dialer so entering the IMEI method mentioned above won't work unless there is a trick?

not sure y u tagged me lol.. i know hiw csc works.. in fact, in my last comment before this one you can see I clearly said just flashing firmware won't change the csc? seems like basically what you said but in a few words 😅
      in the case of my Tab S7+ and my Note20Ultra, they are both rocking U1 XAA firmware.

I'm pretty stumped like OP. Where are you finding U1 XAA for Tab S7+? Doesn't seem to turn up anywhere. Would definitely appreciate it if you could provide a link. Thanks.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone