Smart Display System Dump or APK

Search This thread

n0n4m321

Nov 26, 2020
I have 3 lenovo 10" smart displays. I purchased them because they are still in store display mode. This mode has the option to test all aspects of the display, gives sound and touch with no issues. I can get into bootloader menu. Only this is as far as I can go. My goal was to set one of these up as just a stand alone android device. Not caring what android version it was running. I thought it would be nice to have a full android tablet available, capable of all android features; by your bed side. If someone is willing to get this going. I would happily send you a Lenovo 10" smart display, so you can do what you like with it.

Hey,

have a bunch of smart displays 10. I was able to get them running as a normal android tablet by removing the android things apk and installing a custom launcher. I can share further information if someone is interested.

Some proof: https :// imgur. com/a/t0e6QQu

Last edited:

papa2020

Nov 28, 2020
Lenovo folow-up

Hey,

have a bunch of smart displays 10. I was able to get them running as a normal android tablet by removing the android things apk and installing a custom launcher. I can share further information if someone is interested.

Hi there,

Can you share the information on how you've managed to modify the unit for installing a custom launcher? :laugh:

tnx

fraenK

Nov 29, 2020
The Lenovo ThinkSmart View (Lenovo CD-18781Y) seams to be the same hardware (Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 624, Octa-Core A53 1.8 GHz) as the 8 inch Lenovo Smart Display but running ASOP 8.1.
If someone could get their hands on the original firmware, maybe this would help to bring ASOP/Android to the Smart Display as well?
Lenovo's Open Source Code: https://smartsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/smart/smart-office/thinksmart-view/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Software%20and%20Utilities

Last edited:

CatBug

Oct 18, 2014
Hey,

I am very much interested in this. Please share how you did it. Thank you! I myself have Lenovo Smart display 8.

Jossef

Nov 23, 2014
Hey,

+1 - also interested in the process you have done

fraenK

Nov 29, 2020
Anyone tried this?

gforums

Dec 24, 2006
Hey,

Hi there,
Any update on this?
I'd highly appreciate any information on how to get a custom launcher installed.
Tried already getting adb working but did not succeed. Thanks in advance,
All the best,

Christian

Reactions: reebokshoes

fldash

Jun 26, 2008
Hey,

Definitely interested... Watching this thread.

gforums

Dec 24, 2006
I didn't have the time yet, unfortunately. Did you also try adb over wifi during pairing/setup mode while connected to the display's wifi network?
No haven't tried this in particular yet, but should be possible giving it a try within the next few days. Should adb during pairing be possible, I'll let you guys know.

Reactions: fraenK

reebokshoes

Dec 30, 2020
Lenovo folow-up

Hi there,

Can you share the information on how you've managed to modify the unit for installing a custom launcher? :laugh:

tnx

I can help! Below is as far as ive gotten. When the device reboots, it boots to a black screen - Need to get the launch to launch on startup. In addition, I havent figured out how to get the navigation bar or google play services working.

#tap build number under settings 7 times for developer mode
#connect lenovo device via USB c cable
#open command prompt and run the following command to open the settings app

adb shell monkey -p com.android.settings -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER 1

#with the touch screen unlock bootloader, disable teams app, disable kiosk mode...a number of settings you can change here.
# Find APK files for a new launcher and install

adb install "com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher_7.1.1-3359438-31_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

#set pixel as default launcher
adb shell am start -c android.intent.category.HOME -a android.intent.action.MAIN

Reactions: fraenK

gforums

Dec 24, 2006
I can help! Below is as far as ive gotten. When the device reboots, it boots to a black screen - Need to get the launch to launch on startup. In addition, I havent figured out how to get the navigation bar or google play services working.

#tap build number under settings 7 times for developer mode
#connect lenovo device via USB c cable
#open command prompt and run the following command to open the settings app

adb shell monkey -p com.android.settings -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER 1

#with the touch screen unlock bootloader, disable teams app, disable kiosk mode...a number of settings you can change here.
# Find APK files for a new launcher and install

adb install "com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher_7.1.1-3359438-31_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

#set pixel as default launcher
adb shell am start -c android.intent.category.HOME -a android.intent.action.MAIN

Thank you for sharing this!
Sadly, this seems not to work for the Lenovo Smart Display.
We only have the software and cast version number under settings. I already tried here to get into kind of developer mode like under traditional Android.
But in this case it doesn't work.

:( Still no idea for the smart display

Best wishes,
A good new year to all!

ozoz9237

Jun 13, 2016
I attached the lenovo smart display 8 dump file. But it's not img file.

Even if we connect fastboot mode, we can't flash it. I need your help.

Attachments

• msm8x53.zip
    442.1 MB · Views: 224

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 lenovo 10" smart displays. I purchased them because they are still in store display mode. This mode has the option to test all aspects of the display, gives sound and touch with no issues. I can get into bootloader menu. Only this is as far as I can go. My goal was to set one of these up as just a stand alone android device. Not caring what android version it was running. I thought it would be nice to have a full android tablet available, capable of all android features; by your bed side. If someone is willing to get this going. I would happily send you a Lenovo 10" smart display, so you can do what you like with it.

Hey,

Hey, guys - I've been scouring everywhere whether anyone has been able to perform a system dump of a Smart Display device. Since the Home Hub is using Cast as its method of being display I'm almost positive it won't be able to be engineered on old Android tablets or elsewhere.

However, any other Smart Display should be running the Smart Display APK on top of Android Things. If we can get a hold of that I think we may be able to start porting it over to older devices.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm tempted to go purchase a device just to test.
    I attached the lenovo smart display 8 dump file. But it's not img file.

Even if we connect fastboot mode, we can't flash it. I need your help.
    Hey guys, did you manage to get anywhere with Smart Display APK?
    Hey guys, did you manage to get anywhere with Smart Display APK?

Guys I have a Lenovo Smart Display under my hands. I found the hidden USB Tipe-C port but there's no way to make the PC/Mac to see it. :confused:
    adb fastboot are not working and there's no settings to enable developer options :(
    Btw this thing is indeed Android Things...
    If someone has any idea how to dump the memory this thing I will share the package ASAP and the portings will begin! :)