• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Smart Display System Dump or APK

Search This thread

gforums

Dec 24, 2006
I attached the lenovo smart display 8 dump file. But it's not img file.

Even if we connect fastboot mode, we can't flash it. I need your help.
Can you let me know how you get into fastboot und are you able to send fastboot commands to the smart display? I was even not successful with that yet.

Thank you!
Christian

ozoz9237

Jun 13, 2016
Attached the usb-c connector to pc(remove the rubber packing on the bottom)and have gotten the smart display in fastboot mode (by holding the volume down and applying power). and then type cmd <fastboot devices>. Be careful to modify something. Boot stuck is very often. We don't have img file, that means you can't turn it back.

Can you let me know how you get into fastboot und are you able to send fastboot commands to the smart display? I was even not successful with that yet.

Thank you!
Christian

Last edited:
Reactions: mu1111

TheGrandSon

Apr 28, 2021
Hi guys. Can you help me a bit??
I've had a Lenovo smart display 8 and it was working okay before. I did not use it for some time until I moved back to my country lately.

I tried to set it up and it seemed to update to the latest firmware. Voice was working but I noticed that the screen isn't responsive. Thinking that something was wrong, I tried to reboot the device but it didn't get any better, so I tried resetting by holding +/- buttons. It went through the setup process again but now at the final step, it won't go any further. It looks like a bug that has disabled the touch screen imo. I've searched and found a lot of people having the same issue with not just lenovo but also nest hub. Do anyone have an idea how we can flash firmware or will Google/lenovo do something to fix this?? (I'm not in the US btw, so I can't send it to service center. And the device isn't distributed in my country. I don't want it to become a brick) It gets even more frustrating that the device is connected to wifi network and can receive audio cast, even youtube cast but the screen will only show Almost done! Finish setup. because it won't respond to touch for finalization.

I saw the link for an open-source somewhat on lenovo website but idk if that is a firmware available for flash or not?? Can someone with expertise advise??

Last edited:
Reactions: djk314

djk314

Dec 5, 2020
Same here with lenovo smart display 7, freeze after few hours since update, lenovo have no solution.....

TheGrandSon

Apr 28, 2021

How are you able to extract this system?? Are you sure this belongs to lenovo 8 or it's from jbl linkview?? Do you know how it can be made to flashable?? I have the same display 8 that is experiencing a bug that doesn't let me to use touch screen and am looking for an old or factory firmware:(:(

Last edited:

CatBug

Oct 18, 2014
Did anyone make any progress with removing Android things and installing normal launcher instead, please?

roymedina

Mar 20, 2018
I can help! Below is as far as ive gotten. When the device reboots, it boots to a black screen - Need to get the launch to launch on startup. In addition, I havent figured out how to get the navigation bar or google play services working.

#tap build number under settings 7 times for developer mode
#connect lenovo device via USB c cable
#open command prompt and run the following command to open the settings app

adb shell monkey -p com.android.settings -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER 1

#with the touch screen unlock bootloader, disable teams app, disable kiosk mode...a number of settings you can change here.
# Find APK files for a new launcher and install

adb install "com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher_7.1.1-3359438-31_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

#set pixel as default launcher
adb shell am start -c android.intent.category.HOME -a android.intent.action.MAIN
any progrees , any help its appreciated i got a demo version (sad)

PeterPoster

Oct 30, 2021
Hey,

have a bunch of smart displays 10. I was able to get them running as a normal android tablet by removing the android things apk and installing a custom launcher. I can share further information if someone is interested.

Some proof: https :// imgur. com/a/t0e6QQu
Can you send me the info how you did it?
(managed to get device in developer mode, but how to connect via Wifi/adb. please help)\
(no USB connector on teams device)

jysstem

Nov 28, 2021
Hi, would be great to use this device with stock android or linux.
WIN_20211128_12_02_44_Pro.jpg
is this helpfully?

press vol up and plug in

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 lenovo 10" smart displays. I purchased them because they are still in store display mode. This mode has the option to test all aspects of the display, gives sound and touch with no issues. I can get into bootloader menu. Only this is as far as I can go. My goal was to set one of these up as just a stand alone android device. Not caring what android version it was running. I thought it would be nice to have a full android tablet available, capable of all android features; by your bed side. If someone is willing to get this going. I would happily send you a Lenovo 10" smart display, so you can do what you like with it.

Hey,

have a bunch of smart displays 10. I was able to get them running as a normal android tablet by removing the android things apk and installing a custom launcher. I can share further information if someone is interested.

Some proof: https :// imgur. com/a/t0e6QQu
    Hey, guys - I've been scouring everywhere whether anyone has been able to perform a system dump of a Smart Display device. Since the Home Hub is using Cast as its method of being display I'm almost positive it won't be able to be engineered on old Android tablets or elsewhere.

However, any other Smart Display should be running the Smart Display APK on top of Android Things. If we can get a hold of that I think we may be able to start porting it over to older devices.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm tempted to go purchase a device just to test.

Hey guys, did you manage to get anywhere with Smart Display APK?
    Hey guys, did you manage to get anywhere with Smart Display APK?

Guys I have a Lenovo Smart Display under my hands. I found the hidden USB Tipe-C port but there's no way to make the PC/Mac to see it. :confused:
    adb fastboot are not working and there's no settings to enable developer options :(
    Btw this thing is indeed Android Things...
    If someone has any idea how to dump the memory this thing I will share the package ASAP and the portings will begin! :)