Question Smart View not working

Search This thread

emko7

Sep 5, 2010
Ever since I updated to the latest firmware (magisk rooted) my Galaxy Tab S8+ can no longer use Smart View or second screen. It worked fine on the previous firmware version even when rooted.
I've seen a suggestion to add "wlan.wfd.hdcp = disable" to the build.prop file, but I can't seem to edit build.prop even using a root explorer, or not even by using the twrp file manager. I've tried using various buildprop editors, granted them root access yet they still don't seem to be able to change anything in the file.
Is there any other possible fix?

• Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
The open source Material Files file manager has been repeatedly and highly recommended in my phone's XDA section for true root file management. https://github.com/zhanghai/MaterialFiles

It's also available through F-Droid, and the Play Store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.zhanghai.android.files

A lot of root file manager either haven't been updated (or aren't allowed to be - not sure what the story is) to really do full root file management.

Hope this helps. Note, I've installed this app but haven't really done anything with it yet.

Last edited:

emko7

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks for suggestion, but even using Material Files I still get the same error. I granted file access permission and root access to the app, I clicked Remount as RW but it still gives me an error saying read-only file system.
Screenshot_20220703-220944_Material Files.jpg

Jake.S

That is probably because root permissions have been lost. When you root the device and then flash new update it will usually revoke the root access and you have to re-root again with updated root method. Reason is becuase update affects the root access by reseting it. Since if root method has edited any system files to gain root access then update writes over those files which is why root access becomes revoked.

So my suggestion is to re-root your device and try editing same file again and I bet issue you got will be gone.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for suggestion, but even using Material Files I still get the same error. I granted file access permission and root access to the app, I clicked Remount as RW but it still gives me an error saying read-only file system.
View attachment 5651197
I get the exact same thing when I tried to save the modified boot.prop with Material Files, so you're not alone.

That is probably because root permissions have been lost. When you root the device and then flash new update it will usually revoke the root access and you have to re-root again with updated root method. Reason is becuase update affects the root access by reseting it. Since if root method has edited any system files to gain root access then update writes over those files which is why root access becomes revoked.

So my suggestion is to re-root your device and try editing same file again and I bet issue you got will be gone.
I definitely have root access, I granted root permissions to Material Files, but I got the same result when trying to save an edited boot.prop.

@emko7
Edit 1: I just remembered that there is a Magisk Module out there folks have used on Android 12 (at least on the Pixel 6 Pro, which I have) that "emulates" having full root access. i.e. to my understanding, you don't actually do anything permanant to the files that require root, but it effectively acts as if you did. If you edit the boot.prop, technically it doesn't save to the actual original location, but your changed version is remembered and substituted when you boot/reboot.

I haven't re-located what the name of the Magisk Module is - I know it's been mentioned many times in the Pixel 6 Pro section, but I'm not sure if I can come up with the correct search terms to find the posts.

*Some* Android FIle Managers, like my preferred one X-Plore File Manager, makes it look like saving an edited boot.prop worked, but after a reboot I saw that the boot.prop edit clearly wasn't permanent. It's possible and probable that if I just re-loaded the edited boot.prop, I would've seen that my changes weren't saved, either.

Edit 2: After a tiny bit of research, I think it's possible this is the reason full root access doesn't give us r/w access to everywhere is the information presented in this Twitter thread (read the additional comments by Magisk's creator):

Last edited: