Smarter Alarm - Wake up to info being read to you

edawerd

Jun 25, 2010
Finalist in Verizon's app contest!

Great news everybody!

Thanks in large part to you, Smarter Alarm has made it to the final round of Verizon's Power Your App contest! That means that its down to 5 apps, and Smarter Alarm is one of them, competing for a $50k prize.

This final round of voting is open to all Verizon customers. If you like the app, I'd REALLY REALLY appreciate if you could go onto your Verizon VCAST app store and vote for "Smarter Alarm" (and "Car Locator" too, my other app that's a finalist).

Incidentally, I believe you can get the full version (no ads) for free from the VCAST app store.

Thank you so much everybody! I really appreciate you taking the time to vote for Smarter Alarm!

Reactions: RayJNT

Shadomastr

May 9, 2010
I'm really loving this app but there's still one thing I would like to have fixed. When I use the app, I can't turn the screen off to black (which I prefer over the dim setting) so I back out of the app to kill the screen, however, it seems as though android is killing the app. I get a notfication in the notification tray about the alarm but the alarm doesn't go off. Can this be fixed? I'm going to try to fix the problem tonight. Perhaps I did something wrong.

Sent from my Epic 4G

farfromuman

May 23, 2008
After the alarm goes off my Google News app/widget no longer works, only the weather part does, then after some time the news tabs show back up. Is this normal?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

edawerd

Jun 25, 2010
After the alarm goes off my Google News app/widget no longer works, only the weather part does, then after some time the news tabs show back up. Is this normal?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Definitely not normal. Are you sure its due to my app? I'll look into this as well.

edawerd

Jun 25, 2010
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to share the latest update, which is something I'm very excited about. Very useless, but exciting to me nonetheless. It's basically a visualization effect while the phone is speaking to you. I've attached a screenshot.

Also, if you have access to the Verizon VCAST app store on your phone, PLEASE PLEASE download Smarter Alarm and rate it 5 stars. Really appreciate your support!

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Great news everybody!

Thanks in large part to you, Smarter Alarm has made it to the final round of Verizon's Power Your App contest! That means that its down to 5 apps, and Smarter Alarm is one of them, competing for a $50k prize.

This final round of voting is open to all Verizon customers. If you like the app, I'd REALLY REALLY appreciate if you could go onto your Verizon VCAST app store and vote for "Smarter Alarm" (and "Car Locator" too, my other app that's a finalist).

Incidentally, I believe you can get the full version (no ads) for free from the VCAST app store.

Thank you so much everybody! I really appreciate you taking the time to vote for Smarter Alarm!
If I had Verizon I would definitely vote for you!

Feature request: multiple custom keywords instead of only one? On my news and weather widget I've added Android and Solar to my news topics.

Thanks!! :D

Lothaen

Jun 4, 2010
plus.google.com
I'm also now using this as my daily alarm :)

but I just noticed this morning that the description for 'repeat alarm' is the same as 'snooze' (I think - its the one above it anyway.)

I guess this is the setting that the alarm now repeats over and over till you snooze it? :)

Keep up the great work!

edawerd

Jun 25, 2010
I'm also now using this as my daily alarm :)

but I just noticed this morning that the description for 'repeat alarm' is the same as 'snooze' (I think - its the one above it anyway.)

I guess this is the setting that the alarm now repeats over and over till you snooze it? :)

Keep up the great work!
Oops! Nice catch! I've updated the description in the next release (along with some other bug fixes, like the screen not turning off)

sonof

Aug 16, 2010
Finnish translation is ready! It was quite an easy task, only 303 strings to translate so I suggest other people to translate it to your language as well! :)

Eagerly waiting for edawerd's implementation.

Lothaen

Jun 4, 2010
plus.google.com
Has anyone else experienced this slight issue where news topics are read out and you get something like:

"Microsoft"

"Lindsey Lohan Hyphen hyphen"

"android 3.0 honeycomb sdk released"

it's probably more to do with the feeds, so unsure if there's any checking you can put in there or not - but some headlines are not that informative.

edit: also had one this morning - "single quote"

As I say - its probably the feed and the formatting of it... but wanted to mention it in case :)

Fantastic app by the way!

Last edited:

bernabap

Jul 25, 2009
Portuguese BRA Translation

Edward,

with your project on crowdin plus the hope to get your app speaking my language (PT-BRA) I felt like obligate to translate. Is done.

Your app works perfect for me, no problem at all. My only request would be to speak portuguese.

Until now I have to use SVOX US Grace voice but I would love to use my SVOX Brazilian Portuguese Luciana voice. Hope you can add it soon. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing!

Robrecht

Apr 5, 2005
Antwerpen
www.dropbox.com
Great app, I am so looking forward to a multilanguage version (don't mind hearing the weather forecast in English but it's just weird for my appointments and my friends' names)! I'll have a look at the Dutch translation as soon as I have the time.

And here's a feature request: I think it would be cool to include the option to start a music playlist after the spoken announcements, so it would really be like having your own personal radio news station.

edawerd

Jun 25, 2010
I thought for a moment this morning Smarter Alarm was going to say 'Today is your birthday' - but it didn't - would that be a really silly feature? :)
Ha! It actually crossed my mind before that I should write the code to do that. Happy birthday, by the way!!