Smartphone Lenovo A820

Search This thread

intern25

Aug 12, 2013
I followed benz0076:s thread and installed the rom. And now my phone is bricked.. It looks like installing just fine @ CWD but then the installation is ready and the phone reboots, after the "3G" screen there is only black.

How should I continue from here?

Sorry for being noob, ive searched the forums but all they are using the flashtool and benz0076:s guide was not. Now im completely screwed.

And there was no actual reason to start messing with these roms... Just curiousity. :rolleyes:

I did a backup with CWM and its not working neither. Says about MD5 error.

link to the thread I followed: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301212

Last edited:

wafflestyx

Aug 3, 2013
Got a an a820 today.
Followed the steps here to root techjunction.in/guides/root-lenovo-a820.html
Installed MIUI v5 (v1.3.2) from slatedroid.com/topic/72057-lenovo-ideaphone-a820/page__view__findpost__p__830745
Everything seems fine.
Put in SIM card nothing, Mobile networks > Network operators > Choose Automatically > errror: "Can not connect to network try again later"
(going to manual only shows AT T 2G still same error)

Thinking it might be the ROM I installed Infrared's Lenovo A820 - V2.2 from needrom

Same thing as before, doesn't want to register to the network.
Doesn't seem like it would be a defected unit since when I have is search under manual AT&T 2G shows up.
Is there a patch somewhere for the phone network driver?

I saw a post about losing your IMEI. Under user status > IMEI info > mine is listed so I guess Im ok there?

Any ideas?

intern25

Aug 12, 2013
Already update to my "case".

I tried to fix this problem by flashing with flashtools the Official Lenovo rom. And now even the volume+- & power isnt doing anything... :cowboy:

Flashing went through "the first step" and even the green circle came out. But then I tried to download the flash recovery, the flashtools came up with an error : "BROM ERROR S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032). This guide was from other forum and the guide poster seems to be so arrogant that he dont bother answering to anyone.

Ever since the same error comes up when I try to flash it again... And phone is completely dead. This must be the end of the story here? Whole day fighting with this and have no any other ideas what to try next.

I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, If there is anything to do.

splitpea

Jul 18, 2012
Already update to my "case".

I tried to fix this problem by flashing with flashtools the Official Lenovo rom. And now even the volume+- & power isnt doing anything... :cowboy:

Flashing went through "the first step" and even the green circle came out. But then I tried to download the flash recovery, the flashtools came up with an error : "BROM ERROR S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032). This guide was from other forum and the guide poster seems to be so arrogant that he dont bother answering to anyone.

Ever since the same error comes up when I try to flash it again... And phone is completely dead. This must be the end of the story here? Whole day fighting with this and have no any other ideas what to try next.

I would be very happy if someone could help me with this, If there is anything to do.

Try using flashtools and the new factory S147 rom from the comment section here. I was able to get my phone completely back to stock last night, including recovery, using this rom.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Has anyone had trouble with video playback on this phone? I get really slow playback in every video streaming app I try, and It's been this way with both stock & custom roms.

This is what video playback looks like

I've never encountered this on an android device before, though it seems like it may be hardware acceleration related?

VKoding

Jul 8, 2013
I have got an official rom file on sd card from my phone supplier and when I start the SP Flash tool program that came with it, it gives a error message:
"Access violation at address 005D90CE in module `Flash_tool.exe`. Write of address 00000000.
When I click ok on the error message the window with the message closes also the flash tool closes.

I tried another SP flash tool I have downloaded that works and when selecting the scatter file from the original, it says wrong file format.

So how can I flash this rom ?
It also have some back up and other files with it. Also containes a zip file, perhaps I can install from sd card ?

Did you manage to solvw this?

intern25

Aug 12, 2013
Try using flashtools and the new factory S147 rom from the comment section here. I was able to get my phone completely back to stock last night, including recovery, using this rom.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Has anyone had trouble with video playback on this phone? I get really slow playback in every video streaming app I try, and It's been this way with both stock & custom roms.

This is what video playback looks like

I've never encountered this on an android device before, though it seems like it may be hardware acceleration related?

I did get the phone working after all. The trick was a new preloader from this post. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42026715&postcount=833

I.nfraR.ed

May 9, 2013
Sofia
I did get the phone working after all. The trick was a new preloader from this post. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42026715&postcount=833

I just saw your problem when you have already fixed it, but yes - not all phones seem to work with every A820 preloader/rom version combination.
I've had one A820 from the newer batches which didn't want to work with the preloader from my personal A820 (from the early batches).
Good thing is there are a lot of variants to try, A820 is a rather popular phone. Some people with other phones are not as lucky as we are, because they have only 1 official firmware and almost non-existent custom roms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Btw, anyone willing to test the latest build of 4.2.1? - confirmed not working, link is removed

You should be brave enough and expect your touchscreen to be messed up after the installation.
You should also know how to flash a firmware from FlashTools and advanced recovery, so people with some experience needed.

There's a 100% working solution for "broken" touchscreen which I described here.
By 100% success I mean - so far the success rate is 100% for over 10 phones, but there's always a possibility it doesn't work on your particular sample, although it's 99% sure it will.

I would test it myself, but my phone isn't affected anymore and I'm able to install and use any MTK6589 firmware from other phones as long as it boots to desktop. For example I was able to install official A830 firmware and almost everything worked out of the box, except screen rotation and camera. But it will lead to touchscreen issues on any other "normal" A820, so I'm not able to test.

1. Download the latest test firmware from my dev-host folder: link removed
  2. Copy to scdcard and install through advanced recovery - twrp or cwm, but properly modded, which means - adapted for A820 with proper device model. I've added a device string check in the install script and it won't work on non-proper recovery.
    You can download and install my CWM 6.0.3.2.
    Make sure you have a full nandroid backup on external sdcard before rom installation, this is a must!
    Install script formats system and data partitions.
  3. When the phone reboots, if it doesn't get to desktop, then try factory reset and fix permissions from CWM.
  4. Verify if the touchscreen is fine, if it's not then follow the instructions described in the link provided above.
  5. Report the outcome here.

It is rather difficult for me to test these 4.2.1 versions, because all of them are working on my phone, but seem to mess up other people's touchscreens :(

Last edited:

wafflestyx

Aug 3, 2013
A few posts back I said I couldn't connect to my phones network, and that its only says emergency calls only.
Since then I have tried quite a few ROMs and posted on other boards.
I have used FlashTools for firmwares S135/138/139/147 and still nothing.

If this was a hardware issue would it still say emergency calls only and when I scan for a network, display one?

I'm getting to the point of just cutting my losses and throwing it on ebay or give it to the kids to play games on.
Open to any ideas to try.

I.nfraR.ed

May 9, 2013
Sofia
A few posts back I said I couldn't connect to my phones network, and that its only says emergency calls only.

If this was a hardware issue would it still say emergency calls only and when I scan for a network, display one?

I'm getting to the point of just cutting my losses and throwing it on ebay or give it to the kids to play games on.

Maybe ask friends on different networks/carriers to lend you their sim cards for a while and test if they work in your phone.

intern25

Aug 12, 2013

Have you tried to enable roaming? My phone didnt work at first because of my network works for some reason only in roaming mode.

splitpea

Jul 18, 2012
  1. Download the latest test firmware from my dev-host folder: A820_signed_081513_174918.zip
  2. Copy to scdcard and install through advanced recovery - twrp or cwm, but properly modded, which means - adapted for A820 with proper device model. I've added a device string check in the install script and it won't work on non-proper recovery.
    You can download and install my CWM 6.0.3.2.
    Make sure you have a full nandroid backup on external sdcard before rom installation, this is a must!
    Install script formats system and data partitions.
  3. When the phone reboots, if it doesn't get to desktop, then try factory reset and fix permissions from CWM.
  4. Verify if the touchscreen is fine, if it's not then follow the instructions described in the link provided above.
  5. Report the outcome here.

It is rather difficult for me to test these 4.2.1 versions, because all of them are working on my phone, but seem to mess up other people's touchscreens :(

So I tried this on my A820. It booted up okay but the touchscreen was all screwed up. Thankfully your instructions for recovering worked, so you can count 11 phones and your 100% recovery rate is safe.

I am using your custom recovery and installed the zip with that. any other info I can give that will help? It looked really nice from the boot screen, I just couldn't really use it.

Reactions: I.nfraR.ed

I.nfraR.ed

May 9, 2013
Sofia
So I tried this on my A820. It booted up okay but the touchscreen was all screwed up. Thankfully your instructions for recovering worked, so you can count 11 phones and your 100% recovery rate is safe.

I am using your custom recovery and installed the zip with that. any other info I can give that will help? It looked really nice from the boot screen, I just couldn't really use it.

Ok, thanks for the test. I really don't know where and what to look for in order to make it work on other phones.
No other info required.
Taking down the link now.

I would ask those 10 people (or less) to report it here. Thank you.
That's not the point. They were all non-experienced users and it took a lot of time to guide them through the whole process of restoring the phone to a working state.
That's why I posted here. If you don't want to help, it's fine, I don't obligate anyone to try.
If I've misunderstood the hidden message in your words, then accept my apologies.

Last edited:

EgZipper

Aug 11, 2013
Just received Lenovo A820,its fast,good design,and you can nitice the quality of the camera.I got from etotalk and they installed their rom,i replaced the launcher because it was kinda weird and used Apex Launcher.The battery life for now is good,i have been playing games and chatting on Facebook for 5hours and the battery is almost 50%. So far i like it :)

Sent from my Lenovo A820 using xda app-developers app

golatificon

May 30, 2013
has any1 tried installing navigon? i did install but got Registration error: Network connection bad, something like that, also Navigon works on other phones that i saw

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lenovo A820

So I solved the issue and got everything I actually wanted.

So after some flashes and reformats (of the same rom as I didnt have other) I finaly checked the DA DL All with Check Sum in the upper right corner and reflashed again. Then the phone started ok with the custom rom however with some issues, 1.Invalid IMEI , 2.Play store not actually working , 3. Even more preinstalled chinese apps.

However my concern at this point was the imei. I dont know if the imei was lost after the first reflash or because I formated the flash, all of it in Flash Tools. What I mean is I dont know if youll experience this too, but you should backup your imei(there is some info on the net about a file you should backup, didnt look much into it as it was too late for me) before flashing > I read that some people lost the imei even after factory resetting their lenovo phone (wasnt my case, I actually resetted it bunch of times ahter I fixed the imei).

Because I didnt like the rom, kept looking and finally found the official lenovo one on a russian site (used google translate). I flashed this rom with Flash tools and the phone was back to factory state - IMEI.

Rewriting the IMEI was kind of a pain (not because was finally hard, but because I found the info hard). Its a dual sim phone so it has 2 imei, one of them was below the battery written and the other one dont know. So I wrote the same imei for both (doesnt bother me as I wont use the dual sim function, just the on).

At this point the phone was exactly how I received it , so far I only repaired the damaged I made.

Then I went back in Flash tools and this time I only flashed the recovery and boot image (from the recovery-a820 archive found on needrom site and with the instructions there) - BTW: First time I didnt do this because the custom rom I found there was flashable with flash tools and it contained recovery allready. But now I decided not to install the custom rom anymore, so I just flashed the recovery mode.

Started the phone and discovered Root Explorer and superuser (both in chinese, but figured them out).

Then I reboted in recovery mode because I was curious what the is , also was in chinese.

My next goal was to get google play working. So downloaded google play apk, google services framework apk and google login services apk from different sources and placed them on the sd card. The point was to move those 3 apk files to system/app but since root explorer was in chinese I douwnloaded some other file manager that could access root also, moved the files to system/app and restarted the phone but nothing happened. Checked again to see if the files were still in the system/app folder, they were, but the permission was 600(I belive thats corect , superuser had read/write and the others nothing). So I downloaded a bunch of other file manager so I can change those file permissions but none of the ones I downloaded worked(I mean to change permissions). Eventually I downloaded link2sd , uninstalled the chinese root explorer and with this oportunity all the other chinese built in apps I had no interest in (not the lenovo ones, the woo ones and the ones that didnt even had title in english). Then I installed root explorer in english , and managed to change the permissions on those files to 644 then restarted my phone.

Google play store installed at boot and appeared in the menu (so did the root explorer in chinese, I belive I shouldve replace its apk in the superboot folder, but whatever, dont need it anymore). Runned Play store but it didnt actually start (Kept on saying Google play has stopped working), so I went in settings > apps to clear the cache for the play store app and noticed there the play store size was 00 everywhere so I guess the installation wasnt so successfull. However I then went to the play store apk from sd card and installed it again (normally like any apk), warned me it is going to replaced a system app , I agreed and it installed successfully. Now Play store runs perfectly , downloaded a bunch of apps for testing and really runs perfectly.

So as it turns out to root the phone and install Play store isnt as hard as I made it be. Good luck to you and I hope this info will help you.
    Non-Lenovo rom for A820

If anybody is interested, I made a non-Lenovo based rom for this phone.
    It can be installed through CWM.

Thanks - again - for bgcngm http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2246874 for the base of the rom.

The rom is available here

Please note that this update really change your phone's appearance.
    This is rooted, and does not contain Chinese suspicious softwares.
    It is simple as possible, so if you want to use googleapps, then you shall install it from CWM.
    A820 JB 4.2.1 port from ZTE V987.

Many thanks to bruno, it's based on his B01 ROM!
    The ROM is permanently rooted, multilanguage and has the stock Android look and feel.
    Gapps not included, but you can install through CWM/TWRP, this package works fine: http://goo.im/devs/UniqueDroid/gapps/gapps-4.2.1/gapps-jb-4.2.1-20121129-signed.zip

Keep in mind this is in alpha stage, although everything seems to work. I've verified it doesn't mess up the touchscreen, so it is safe to flash.
    Repartitioned the data partition from 1Gb to 2Gb using the meteos tool. Worked flawlessly.
    Just select the amount, reboot in recovery to do an factory reset. That's it, you done. :good:
    <!>use at your own risk
    If you look some post up you will see some links you can use.

Where can i get those? Can i flash them using CWM during recovery?

Sent from my Lenovo A820 using xda app-developers app

@TheTen: If you have root you can remove the start and shutdown movie and sound (4 files). It will boot an shutdown with the stock Android animated text logo.