• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

SmartQ Z smart watch

Search This thread

drmpk

Jul 15, 2012
Hubli
Bought this on ebay. Very handy and works both for charging and data transfer.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390208664139.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390208664139.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 205

mjkall

Nov 8, 2008
So my battery was draining way too fast and I disabled We Chat and that Chinese search app and restarted my watch. That solved it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The battery is quite often draining too fast for many reasons. I had the problem that it drained from 20-30% to 0% in some seconds. I calibrated the battery with Akku HD Pro by Smalltech. Battery Life Repair by Blackmart Studio gives also extra power. Both need wifi when running.

drmpk

Jul 15, 2012
Hubli
Somebody please suggest a app that can be installed on watch to control PHONE SETTINGS like wifi, blutooth, gps, mobile data, volume, ringing mode.

Something like this..
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.extras.liveware.extension.toggles49

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-N7100

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Some of you may be having both android and ios device.

Has anyone tried the watch on ios?

Sent from my GT-N7100

Last edited:

Slik1

Sep 16, 2013
Slovakia
I own both of these watches, so I'll try to give you the good and bad of each.

The Sony:
Good
Decent screen, viewable in bright sunlight. Thin body. More refined experience and functionality. 200+ app ecosystem. USB charging. Regular size Interchangeable band. Water resistant. Battery life 1.5-2 days.

Bad
Low screen DPI, images/icons can appear fuzzy. Large footprint. Physical buttons. Trans-reflective watch faces not customizable. Slow and laggy at times. SW2 apps are extensions, not full featured. Restrictive and minimal customization only thru 3rd party apps. Sony's less than timely updates. No storage. no Wi-Fi. BT 3.0. 800mhz cpu. Requires button press to turn on screen. $200.00 is a lot considering what else is available for less.

Zwatch:
Good
$99 is unbelievable. Well built. Excellent screen. Clear and bright. Small footprint. Viewable in most all situations. Highly customizable. 14 watch faces come stock. Select, full function, apps installable from Play. Android Kitkat 4.4. WiFi equipped. 2gb direct accessible storage. 1.0ghz Ingenic processor. 512mb RAM. Create your own watch faces. Widget functions. SmartQ is working hard to further the watch and has released 16 updates since Oct. Built in MP3 player. Interchangeable watch band. water resistant. Auto back-light comes on when wrist @ 45°.

Bad:
Side profile is a tad on the thick side (easier to hide than large footprint.) Requires a medium-low technical skill. Battery life decent only if Wi-Fi is off. Uncommon charging cord, 3.5 mini to USB. No way to turn on speaker phone remotely. Only one physical navigation button.

Here's a side by side comparison I did a few months ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpmmOYJT-us

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Battery life decent only if Wi-Fi is off. How many days :confused:

mghtymse007

Aug 31, 2011
I calibrated the battery with Akku HD Pro by Smalltech. Battery Life Repair by Blackmart Studio gives also extra power. Both need wifi when running.

Did it work? What was the outcome of the calibration?

What do you mean "Both need wifi when running"?

Battery life decent only if Wi-Fi is off. How many days :confused:

Under normal usage (wifi off), the battery lasts 1.5-2.0 days.

mjkall

Nov 8, 2008
So my battery was draining way too fast and I disabled We Chat and that Chinese search app and restarted my watch. That solved it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Did it work? What was the outcome of the calibration?

What do you mean "Both need wifi when running"?

Under normal usage (wifi off), the battery lasts 1.5-2.0 days.

After calibrating the battery meter is going down more evenly and ´Repair Batter´ gives more power. Both need wifi on when using them.

mghtymse007

Aug 31, 2011
More in depth please?

A little research can go a long way...read before you ask, please.

Here ya go, right here on xda...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2538084

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Or here's an app...Dan Ortiz recommends this one:

http://www.makeyourclock.com/

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Or here's an app...Dan Ortiz recommends this one:

http://www.makeyourclock.com/

ZaYAC-ua

Jan 21, 2010
Dneprodzerzhinsk
Firmware 3,0 + GAPPS + Soft + new icons

My firmware is based on 3.0. The main objective was Russification, but then it is not actual.
Added hacked Google Play .
Added Calculator and Browser
Replaced by an icon in the setup menu (see screenshots).
Removed Chinese market and WeChat

Info on 4pda.ru

Download: update.zip

2014-01-20_030558.png 2014-01-20_030613.png 2014-01-20_030620.png

Edit standard clock widget. Added 1 your.
Image not specifically chose, was passion to learn how to add.
Dial to start took the easiest - Pointer, no date, weather and other things.
Took to the article with the theme for Samsung Gear - there is a bunch of those dials ....

Download: View attachment updateWatch.zip
Info on 4pda.ru

2014-01-20_150203.png
P.S. I am bad speak english

gasland

Jan 2, 2008
You can use QtADB (if you use windows)
Just plug your hybrid usb/jack cable into your watch, the other end into your PC, enabling the debug function on your watch (press 5x the "model number" words under the settings/about tablet menu) and then you can install apk's directly from your pc via QtABD.

thanks a lot!

although it keeps on asking for a dir where adb and aapt binaries are where the installer itself has all the libraries included.

i also downloaded adk drivers but no luck

alabak2002

Jun 11, 2006
Leon - Spain
I've just received my Zwatch and while browsing the forum, I have been prompted to update firmware to 2.5-2014-01-03

d2.smartdevices.com.cn/files/SmartQ_Z1_V2.5/update.zip

drmpk

Jul 15, 2012
Hubli
By the way, I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how I can install apps to the watch
Thank you

If you just want to install apps on watch, go the easy way. First remove all the drivers you have installed on your pc. Connect your watch to pc. It would be recognised as a mass storage device. Copy the apk you want to install to watch. Remove the watch from pc. Now on the watch navigate to the apk you just transferred using the file manager. Click on the .apk, watch would ask you to allow installation from unknown sources. Permit it to do so. Go back to your apk and install. If you want to uninstall, use some third party uninstaller (you need to install one seperately). Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N7100

drmpk

Jul 15, 2012
Hubli
Does the original restore tool work with 3.0 update? I tried but could not get it to work.

Sent from my GT-N7100

drmpk

Jul 15, 2012
Hubli
Finally I managed to brick my watch. It is stuck on boot screen. I cannot find any ways to restore it.:banghead:

Sent from my GT-N7100

drmpk

Jul 15, 2012
Hubli
I got it running again:)
Being a noob, I had to reformat :mad: pc to get restore tool to recognize my watch.
But it was worth.
I created my own rom with added small gapps. Playstore works.
From there gmail can be installed.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390296748237.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390296748237.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 135
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390296766851.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390296766851.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 131
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390296786342.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390296786342.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 129
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390296806744.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390296806744.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 125

pez123

Jan 21, 2014
If I factory reset the watch, does this take back to the start of original version or to the latest version on the watch but lose the sync sms , contacts

ALL I want to do is delete the sync of sms and contacts but cant delete it and i can only think about factory reset..

I got it running again:)
Being a noob, I had to reformat :mad: pc to get restore tool to recognize my watch.
But it was worth.
I created my own rom with added small gapps. Playstore works.
From there gmail can be installed.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, here it is. Its on my network/pogo drive...so...Be patient if sluggish, getting a lot of attention. I will try to UL to youtube B4 i leave for work.

Hi,

Here's a link:

(ok, i agree, bad idea)...youtube will be up soon...geez

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

You guys gotta mellow out...ur killing my bandwidth...

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

OK...gotta kill this link to my drive. All my tablets are dead...so, im doing this on my laptop...so archaic....feels like a caveman banging bones on rocks.

ya know, this vid had over 170 views on DB alone...thanks meter <<<<<<<<<< hasnt moved.

come on guys, show the LOVE!!!! wont post youtube link until it moves. LOL.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

here ya go...watch to ur hearts content...

http://youtu.be/1dCQ7TLr1R4

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Thanks button is here, give it a try.
    Z-watch Review, PT 1

For those asking for pix and videos, I saw that you tube already has 5 or 6 of them, search term: SmartQ Z-watch.

Okay, here it goes. So far, this watch is quite surprising for a first crack from Smart Devices. The watch is very easy to connect and sync with most of your phone's vital information. The display is bright and quite clear in comparison to the Sony Smart Watch 2. The touch screen is excellent at flipping through the panels as well as function entry. Before the power went out, I was able to connect the watch to multiple different phones and OSs. of these phones which were the HTC Vivid, desire, One x and One. I also had a Samsung s3 and s4 available for short testing. Most of the tests and reviews below are from being connected to an HTC One with the Maximus 21 rom. One issue arose during the testing on HTCs...phones with 4.1 and above, the watch does NOT answer incoming calls. I have notified SD.

The minute you open the box you will see that this watch was designed and implemented for an Asian market. In the box, you will find a watch and a charging cord, that's it! No user guide, no download links, no quick start guide, Etc! You're basically on your own to comb the internet for bits and pieces of information. I have a friend who speaks Mandarin that is doing a quick translation of the guide I found online I will post that later today or tomorrow. When you turn to watch on the agent market influence is also quite evident. You will see a couple of icons that do not display the English translation for the app. In addition, and quite surprising, when you go to set the weather every single country in the world is included...but only four cities in the USA. Very odd considering that there are only four languages built into the Z Watch!?? But anyways we must remember it's only $99.

As far as side loading apps and custom tweaks, due to the power outage, I have very little to report. When the watch mounts to your desktop, it mounts as an MTP. I tried a couple different methods to adb a few different apks, as i was unable to figure out how to boot into recovery yet. even if I was able to install an apk I do not think that it would work properly. This Engenic CPU is MIPS architecture, not ARM. I already have located hey utility as well as many programs that I've already been converted to the mIps architecture. However, after opening and reviewing a couple of the MIPS apk's found online, some tweaking is going to have to be done in order for it to run correctly on the 240 by 240 display. I do not know this for sure, as I have yet to have successfully installed an apk. But I'm pretty sure it will be required.

As for the included functions of the watch, they all seem to work very well for their intended purpose. One of the compelling items of the watch is the inclusion of the fairly popular chat engine WeChat. I was able to play with this a little this morning and found it quite amusing. With the wifi it seems that this watch could actually act as an emergency stand alone if ur phone was unavailable. The calendar works well and displays information quickly. When you first open the app a template of the current full month is displayed. At the top, there is a drop down that changes the view to agenda. the contacts app is well built and quick to respond even with over 1000 contacts loaded. The app has a sidebar that quickly slide thru the alphabet as well as your contacts pictures are displayed in miniature icons. I have yet to figure out the real use this app as you cannot evoke a phone call from the watch. I imagine its purpose is solely for wechat. The SMS messaging extension also works very well and displays information in aeasily read manner. and there are 4 or 5 pre-defined messages you can reply with already built into the app. if you have not seen already, this watch has an internal memory of 4 gigabytes. Of that 4 gigabytes 2 are available for user to load music. The onboard music application makes this watch also an mp3 player Of the other apps included such as GoFit, sleep analyzer, remote camera, etc are all well built for their purpose, but not productive.

The Windows utility is very simple and easy to use. It has a built-in program notification center, remote keyboard, update engine, and other basic utilities. Not an exciting app, but it does what it is intended to do.

In conclusion, for now, overall I am quite impressed with the abilities, software and hardware that is being delivered for under a Benji. Out of the box it does most of what current smart watches do without having to add or purchase additional software. it was disappointing to see no Gmail app or anyway to retrieve the email itself. All you get is a notification that email has arrived. I really do believe that if we could get a couple of good developers on this watch, it could be really compelling. However, without that support, IMO it will fall by the wayside as another cheap, Asian Smart Watch.For those who are wanting pix and videos... There are already 5 or 6 on you tube.

I will continue to work on the side loading. If someone can help me figure out what could be the issue, or would be helpful. The watch mounts and is listed as an MTP. When I run adb, no devices are found. I tried a number of different drivers and utilities, including Cyan's universal. Nothing works. Any help would be great.

Part 2 coming soon
    I got Google accounts to work. Gmail, Play Store, Google Now with voice search, Calendar, etc is all working. All I did was copy the google apps from the latest gapps for 4.1 to system/app in the update.zip and did a firmare upgrade. After the watch rebooted, I opened Play and it asked me to sign in. After that, I noticed some of the apps were crashing so I updated them in Play and they all worked. I'll post links for the gapps apks and my own update.zip if you want to try it. Disclaimer: I'm not a developer by any means. I just know enough to be dangerous Ha! So if you decide to...use at your own risk. That said, it definitely worked for me.

As far as PIE, that's really cool! I'd never come across it before. It works great on the watch. I set it to the bottom with a narrow touch area. It also had a sync option under settings which is where I figured out that there was an accounts settings on the watch. I was able to adjust my Google account and Twitter to set it to sync etc.

Nova is cool and I may use it, but I kind of like the simplicity of the built in launcher on such a small screen. It allows widgets too. I'll try to find time this weekend to post a vid about the watch.

Now to figure out Youtube.

gapps apks
    update zip
    Uploading 11min vid now...

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Ok, here ya go. I dont have much time so u will do a follow up on call/sms/app notifications tomorrow. I will also be doing a side by side with the sw2.

https://db.tt/vW5dMePA

I tried to optimize without losing the quality. Lmk if it doesnt stream well.

BTW: i do have 1k contacts, looking into why it shows only half are present.

I have one coming and even though I have left the dev world I will drop anything useful I find in here.