SMS App

bigant262

May 12, 2009
Looks like 8SMS was updated today to work with 4.4. I would suggest if you want a messaging app like the one in CM, download this app. Only thing I didn't like was that it doesn't auto retrieve MMS.

blocman

May 30, 2013
Just uploaded the 4.4 ASOP MMS.apk
Allows me to select it as default and works OK for SMS - not tried MMS.
http://rapidshare.com/share/B9A76F0C553E0D4B4579AAD97D5D07FA

Edit: MMS works perfectly too.

Does this apk have a limit on total messages or something? I downloaded, installed, made default.. but after initially showing the conversations, when I tried to delete a text the app got stuck at "loading conversations" and has been for quite a while now. When I reboot it'll list conversations, but when trying to open one it gives a blank screen. going back to the index shows "loading conversations" again.. indefinitely.

IIRC there were 7600 at last backup..

stone_phalanges

Aug 11, 2010
What is the best texting app that will back up your messages so when you get a new phone or flash it restores them. I have been using mysms and I just want to keep my options open.

mythenmetz

Aug 5, 2012
What is the best texting app that will back up your messages so when you get a new phone or flash it restores them. I have been using mysms and I just want to keep my options open.
I'm using SMS Backup & restore. Using it since ages on all my phones and it works on all roms and android versions, it works great and has all the options i need (number of backups kept, planned backups...), and with the addon for the app you can easily upload your backup in the cloud.

ix3u

Aug 15, 2008
Just uploaded the 4.4 ASOP MMS.apk
Allows me to select it as default and works OK for SMS - not tried MMS.
http://rapidshare.com/share/B9A76F0C553E0D4B4579AAD97D5D07FA

Edit: MMS works perfectly too.
Tried this and is telling me no apn specified on the device... Any idea how to fix that? On sprint if that matters

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Edit: Never mind... A reboot solved the problem! Thanks a ton !

Last edited:

vimto25

Jan 1, 2009
Burton-On-Trent,UK
Is there a app for a counter of unread messages etc.. As my old devices used to say a number on the icon but this phone/software doesn't. Great 4.4 SMS app BTW works a treat

ix3u

Aug 15, 2008
I spoke too soon saying that a reboot fixed it... After the reboot I could send MMS, but can't receive anything actually... Any myself a text and an MMS from my wife's phone and nothing came through. Kinda disappointed its not working for me :-\ I REALLY don't want to use hangouts, so am using textra atm, but would much rather be able to just use a stock, no frills kind of messaging. Anyone else getting this to work with sprint? All I've done so far is the cf-auto to root.