Snail W3D gaming android smartphone,New generation of Xperia PLAY

Search This thread

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
It can definitely be done, because Onlive was released on phones. I had it for Xperia Play. It worked best on WIFI of course, but it worked, and was sweet! I heard they were getting back into Mobile gaming, but it seems like only to push Playstation Now to other devices other than their own, and to make smartphone games, similar to how Nintendo is doing, to bolster their franchises and sell more console copies. Probably an endless runner God of War, or a side story Killzone, since after all, FPS games are pretty numerous on the touch screen platform. Mobile gaming on smartphones is huge and they would be foolish not to get in on it. Of course, to make an Xperia Play 2 would be awesome, and allow for more of their original titles to be released, and there was a HUGE backing for the Xperia Play, with 1000+ Xperia Play optimized games on the market. Developers knew the Play, loved it, and updated their games for it at a rapid pace. They can make the new Play compatible with the old Play API as to still have that backward compatibility. I guess it all depends on how successful ForwardWorks is with the mobile gaming push.

I was thinking of Temple Run: Featuring Nathan Drake or a Twisted Metal racing game akin to the Asphalt series with guns (even though Asphalt itself is practically a copy of the Burnout series). Maybe a Last Guardian virtual pet. Although something like Killzone Mercenaries might port fairly well. There's some potential, but I won't hold my breath. They said the same thing would happen with PlayStation Mobile. If they want to get serious about it, then good. And if the goal is to push more console sales, then I think finding new ways to push Remote Play would help. PlayStation Now may also help. While it might not lead to direct console sales, it would be a source of revenue and would also increase awareness of the PlayStation branding, as long as it's done right.

Don't get me wrong, I still really hope for a proper Xperia Play 2 more than anything. Sony already has made APIs for using DualShock 3 and 4 controllers available to developers after dropping the Play. I've not looked into it, but it may be related to the gamepad API for the Play. Or it may just be a Sony-only thing enabling Android's native gamepad support on their phones. Either way, if they just stuck with that and integrated the controller into a more portable package they very well could accomplish something close to it.

We're saying the same thing. I just wish there was a way to suggest such ideas to Sony (whether they'd listen to them or not).

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
I was thinking of Temple Run: Featuring Nathan Drake or a Twisted Metal racing game akin to the Asphalt series with guns (even though Asphalt itself is practically a copy of the Burnout series). Maybe a Last Guardian virtual pet. Although something like Killzone Mercenaries might port fairly well. There's some potential, but I won't hold my breath. They said the same thing would happen with PlayStation Mobile. If they want to get serious about it, then good. And if the goal is to push more console sales, then I think finding new ways to push Remote Play would help. PlayStation Now may also help. While it might not lead to direct console sales, it would be a source of revenue and would also increase awareness of the PlayStation branding, as long as it's done right.

Don't get me wrong, I still really hope for a proper Xperia Play 2 more than anything. Sony already has made APIs for using DualShock 3 and 4 controllers available to developers after dropping the Play. I've not looked into it, but it may be related to the gamepad API for the Play. Or it may just be a Sony-only thing enabling Android's native gamepad support on their phones. Either way, if they just stuck with that and integrated the controller into a more portable package they very well could accomplish something close to it.

We're saying the same thing. I just wish there was a way to suggest such ideas to Sony (whether they'd listen to them or not).

Yeah, those are all cool ideas for some Sony licensed content on Mobile. At the end of it all, we'll just have to see what they do. Who knows, maybe there are Sony execs reading the forums getting ideas to push to corporate shareholders to fund new projects. That would be nice.

I think Nintendo opened the gate for some new ways of play, as they always have, and other companies are destined to jump on board. I guess we just have to see where this wave takes us. Till then, I'll have to use the W3D as my Xperia Play 2, or Xperia Play 3 rather, since the Snail W1 was dubbed Xperia Play 2 in my book.

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
Yeah, those are all cool ideas for some Sony licensed content on Mobile. At the end of it all, we'll just have to see what they do. Who knows, maybe there are Sony execs reading the forums getting ideas to push to corporate shareholders to fund new projects. That would be nice.

I think Nintendo opened the gate for some new ways of play, as they always have, and other companies are destined to jump on board. I guess we just have to see where this wave takes us. Till then, I'll have to use the W3D as my Xperia Play 2, or Xperia Play 3 rather, since the Snail W1 was dubbed Xperia Play 2 in my book.

At least the W3D actually has some support for North American 3G and 4G bands. That's what has bothered me about every other gaming phone out there is that it would suck to use as a daily driver for just regular cell coverage. Now that we've gotten back on topic, let us know how it is when you get it. I'm tempted to pick one up as well.

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
At least the W3D actually has some support for North American 3G and 4G bands. That's what has bothered me about every other gaming phone out there is that it would suck to use as a daily driver for just regular cell coverage. Now that we've gotten back on topic, let us know how it is when you get it. I'm tempted to pick one up as well.

Sure. There is another W3D thread started by The_Gatekeeper. He and another user, bigpillincaman, are giving their thoughts and impressions on the device, with pics as well. I am currently using my 78P01 for my daily driver. and yeah, coverage gets pretty bad missing that 850 band with AT&T. My desire for a gaming phone trumps the setback, but it's definitely an issue. The W3D has full 3G support at least now, on both SIM's so that's a big plus. However, currently, AT&T may have made some changes with the way their system reads IMEI's, because while I used to get 3G on the device, it now only gets 2G, and a very weak 2G at that. Not sure what happened between now and a few months ago.

But yeah, I had forgot this thread was originally a W3D thread, but hey, it's all Xperia Play based, lol!

Reactions: MechaBouncer
I know it has been a long while since I posted in this thread and even longer since my contact at Snail games left for other employment. I know someone already mentioned this thread earlier, but wanted to post it here. Seems several people received their Snail W3D from Aliexpress when they preordered it.

http://xdaforums.com/android/help/snail-w3d-thread-pictures-t3469547/page3

Found another handheld site that reviews all sorts of handheld type devices:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/android-devices/w3d-already-in-stock/

Last edited:
Reactions: MechaBouncer

saqibkhan

I know it has been a long while since I posted in this thread and even longer since my contact at Snail games left for other employment. I know someone already mentioned this thread earlier, but wanted to post it here. Seems several people received their Snail W3D from Aliexpress when they preordered it.

http://xdaforums.com/android/help/snail-w3d-thread-pictures-t3469547/page3

Found another handheld site that reviews all sorts of handheld type devices:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/android-devices/w3d-already-in-stock/

yes I have seen it selling em on aliexpress for 367 Dollars.. fREE sHIPPING

Deen0X

Dec 30, 2010
www.deen0x.com
Hi.

I wrote a review in spanish for this device.
http://manguiro.blogspot.com.es/2016/11/review-muchsnail-w3d.html

I will get some time for posting an english version of this (and publis here) but you can read this using the translator on the page (top-left)

i know is pity to read using a translator, but most of the info is technical and there are lot of images and tests, that really don´t need so much translation to understand.

anyway, i will do my best to get an english version of thid review for allow to people read in better way than a googletranslator.

Greetings!

Reactions: ozzmanj1

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
Guys Guys Guys..

What is this all about ?? :/

http://www.concept-phones.com/gamin...used-dual-display-smartphone-nvidia-graphics/

is this true.. will it materialize ?? :/

This is just another concept created by some random person. That's what this site for. It's not anything official. It never is. I don't know why people even bother putting so much effort into things they have no ability to actually create unless they are attempting to advertise design skills to phone manufacturers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We are looking forward to trying it.

J

Just got a response from John at techno Buffalo this guy is awesome at responding to emails.

We would actually love to try this, any idea on when it will ship?

If everyone can take a moment of their time to thank John at TechnoBuffalo.
    On snails Facebook page I took a screenshot of the Amazon release date and left a pretty nasty comment regarding my frustration with this phone and the company. Some of it might be harsh but I am just really really upset with them the weight alone has already been asinine and now this happens and no communication from the company on this device or any announcement of the date being pushed back. Snail should be the first place everyone goes to for communication and they have no communication whatsoever. It seems like all that I want to push is there age of wushu. I realize I am just venting, but again I am just very disappointed and angry with them. I am sure a crapton goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but this has to be one of the worst product roll outs I've seen. Again, just upset. Rant done.
    Awesomeness man that thing is going to be practically out of date when it comes out better have some kick ass games!

Sent from my LT28i using XDA Free mobile app

I read on droid gamers that supposedly they are replacing the Mediatek processor with a unknown snapdragon

As much as I want this phone to be awesome, I am getting very frustrated with Snail games on their lack of comunication, and the fact that we have wait 6 months for the release date and now 6 more months for release, this is ridiculous.
    Amazon just posted this phone with the release date of December 31st for $399

Snail Mobile W3D Gaming Cell Phone, Unlocked - Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YZ2T55K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_TrWGvb3ZP0MR7

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=1&articleid=43548945&source=hangouts

Not a single peep from Snail games via their Facebook page as to a release date or pricing.
    Just noticed this official post on Snail's website:

http://www.snail.com/en/news/2015/0108/8683.html

I realize this article is several months old now, but I noticed the following line for those in the US who are interested:

" The phones available in the North American market will arrive unlocked and compatible with most U.S. network providers."

Guess this means that, at the time of this writing, they either did not plan on any carrier support in store, or had nothing lined up yet. That's all, just wanted to share what I found.