• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Snail W3D gaming android smartphone,New generation of Xperia PLAY

Search This thread

psxpetey

Dec 4, 2011
www.youtube.com
So as we are all aware that this phone is to be released on September 30th of this month Acer just announced their new Acer predator gaming phone with a MediaTek 10 core processor and 4 gigs of ram. No pricing or ETA on the phone however they do have an 8 inch gaming tablet that is speculated will be out between the end of this month to the first week of November. Despite its crazy specs it does not have a physical game Padme out it looks just like a regular smartphone with just a boatload of power.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/acer-predator-6-gaming-phone/

http://www.androidauthority.com/acer-predator-phone-and-tablet-638703/

10 cores to eat even more power and never be used for anything lol. When will android phone makers learn to make single core performance more powerful. Android doesn't even use that many cores lol.

Sent from my D6603 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: david7380

david7380

Dec 2, 2008
Columbia
10 cores to eat even more power and never be used for anything lol. When will android phone makers learn to make single core performance more powerful. Android doesn't even use that many cores lol.

Sent from my D6603 using XDA Free mobile app

I agree. Moreover, why would I want a gaming phone without physical buttons, I would need to buy a separate controller but then the portability is lost. So being that the case I rather use my laptop or my Ps Vita.
The Xperia Play is the only device that has combined portability and full gaming experience, I hope some other company takes the Xperia Play approach.

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
I agree. Moreover, why would I want a gaming phone without physical buttons, I would need to buy a separate controller but then the portability is lost. So being that the case I rather use my laptop or my Ps Vita.
The Xperia Play is the only device that has combined portability and full gaming experience, I hope some other company takes the Xperia Play approach.

Same here. I recently had to revert back to my old Xperia Play after my Xperia Z3 Compact took a dip and got water inside. It's still terribly slow, but the form-factor was perfect. Everything else is way too big by comparison. And this Snail W3D is the first of the Chinese gaming phones to actually feature usable wireless bands in the US. The Much W1 and JXD S5800 both only had a single 3G frequency per carrier, which would result in shoddy coverage no matter who you were with. If Snail were to release a lighter version based around a smaller (~4.5"), lower-resolution (probably 720p tops at that size), non-3D screen, but with similar specs otherwise, I would be all over it. Suffice it to say, I'll be very interested to see what they offer next and if they will release a little brother to the W3D.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the phone will be roughly 6.5 inches wide! That is massive. Never mind that they announced this phone almost 10 months ago. I don't know what the hold up is but they should have had this out by June at the latest. The current asking price of $400 for a phone that has about 2 year old hardware seems over priced for me. I'm still hopeful that snail blows me away but I must confess my interest is waning lately.

Reactions: psxpetey

psxpetey

Dec 4, 2011
www.youtube.com
I read somewhere that the phone will be roughly 6.5 inches wide! That is massive. Never mind that they announced this phone almost 10 months ago. I don't know what the hold up is but they should have had this out by June at the latest. The current asking price of $400 for a phone that has about 2 year old hardware seems over priced for me. I'm still hopeful that snail blows me away but I must confess my interest is waning lately.

same man it is taking painfully long.

Hikorust

Jun 10, 2015
Brno
Gaming phone withou physical buttons? Why? Why 10 cores? I am dissapointed. Holding hopes for Nintendo.. There must be something in future.

Reactions: psxpetey

inaroom

Feb 26, 2013
Moto Z2 Play
i hope nvidia will do something worth buying with shield...they did almost everything a tablet, a console, a controller with a display but not a phone...and why not a sort of fusion between the vita and the xplay by sony, as a successor of vita? i know, it would kill the already dying vita now, but in a couple yeard would be nice, and it woul be nicer if nintendo would do the same with the 3ds successor...everyone says the gaming future is mobile, so why wouldn't game company such as nintendo and sony, nvidia or even microsoft go that way with a gaming android phone? microsoft and sony already have their android phone production,as well as gaming market, nintendo and sony have their portable consoles...i know it's just dreams, but still feels like a nice scenario...until then i can only stay on the xplay, the only decent way i have to enjoy portable gaming, and i wouldn't really call the snail portable, or the acer predator, or the nvidia shield...

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
i hope nvidia will do something worth buying with shield...they did almost everything a tablet, a console, a controller with a display but not a phone...and why not a sort of fusion between the vita and the xplay by sony, as a successor of vita? i know, it would kill the already dying vita now, but in a couple yeard would be nice, and it woul be nicer if nintendo would do the same with the 3ds successor...everyone says the gaming future is mobile, so why wouldn't game company such as nintendo and sony, nvidia or even microsoft go that way with a gaming android phone? microsoft and sony already have their android phone production,as well as gaming market, nintendo and sony have their portable consoles...i know it's just dreams, but still feels like a nice scenario...until then i can only stay on the xplay, the only decent way i have to enjoy portable gaming, and i wouldn't really call the snail portable, or the acer predator, or the nvidia shield...

I also also hope that they would make a Shield phone. When Tegra4 came out, there was supposed to be a variant of it that had a few less cores, but included LTE for use in phones. Although I never saw that really take off. Maybe they will release a newer chip designed for phones? I still think they need to update the Shield portable with a Tegra K1 or X1. Maybe when that happens?

Also, with Nintendo's NX platform extending to phones and tablets as well as their home and handheld consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought some sort of gaming phone to market as well. I'm also speculating that the NX systems could easily use Tegra processors similar to how the Shield tablet and Shield console do. It was rumored that the system ran a forked version of Android, and even though Nintendo flat out denied it, they did the same thing with every leaked console that later turned out to be true. So I don't believe their denials anymore.

Sony is still the prime company to make another gaming phone, but then they aren't even supporting the Vita very much lately. A Vita phone would be great, but it would suck if it only ran Sony apps. For as much as the Vita was pushed to be like a tablet competitor, it took years to even get a calendar app or any useful non-game apps. It would really need to run another more established OS like Android and emulate Vita games. Although they're probably too scared to do so after how the Xperia Play's emulator got hacked and people figured out how to run their own game images instead. So that's probably unlikely.

All we can really do is wait and see.

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
SPECS
Display
5.5" Glasses Free 3D eye tracking 1080p IPS LCD display
OS
Custom UI built on Android 4.4 Kitkat
CPU
MediaTek MT6595 2.0GHz 8-core processor
Memory
2GB RAM
Storage
16GB micro SD expandable up to 64GB
Camera
5 MP infra-red eye tracking front camera and 13 MP rear camera
Battery
4,000 mAh removable battery; lasts for 5-7 hours of continuous 3D gaming, over 24 hours of normal cellular usage.
SIM
Dual SIM slots, LTE (SIM 1), WCDMA/TD-SCDMA/GSM (SIM 2)
Supported Frequencies
LTE 4G: LTE TDD & LTE FDD (China, Europe, US)
3G: China Unicom 3G & China Mobile 3G (China, Europe, US) 2G: China Unicom 2G & China Mobile 2G (China, Europe, US);
GSM: B2, B3, B5, B8;
WCDMA: B1, B2, B5, B8;
TD-SCDMA: B34, B39;
LTE FDD: B1, B3, B7, B17;
LTE TDD: B38, B39, B40, B41

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

I got the info from here http://www.snail.com/en/news/2015/0826/10206.html

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

If anyone can see which carrier this would be best on. Please help. I mean I am not seeing anything that it will take full advantage on.

Ugh so no Verizon LTE support? :crying: Might have to cancel my pre-order.

us-wireless-bands.png

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
Ugh so no Verizon LTE support? :crying: Might have to cancel my pre-order.

us-wireless-bands.png

It's more than that. It's GSM-based, which means that the ONLY thing that could possibly work would be LTE and it just doesn't have any Verizon LTE freqencies. And it doesn't have CDMA support for 2G or EV-DO for 3G. So it won't work on Verizon at all.

Reactions: hairdewx

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
Oh well...

I checked my preorder on amazon today and my order got pushed from 9/28/2015 to 12/28/2015. Looks like Snail having issues.....

Can anyone else confirm delay for their preorder?

Last edited:
Reactions: m.morcielago

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
I got hit with a double whammy this morning opening up this forum. Why you ask? Welp:
1) w3d looks like no go for verizon
2) checked my preorder on amazon today and my order got pushed from 9/28/2015 to 12/28/2015. Looks like Snail having issues.....

Can anyone else confirm delay for their preorder?

I didn't pre-order it, but the Amazon page now says December 28th as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Snail-Mobile-Gaming-Cell-Phone-Unlocked/dp/B00YZ2T55K

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
Snail PR sent me an email

Here is the update for delay:

Yes, it is coming. New market creating devices have lots of hurdles to overcome. The product design and development are completely done as is first production. We just need to finish an equally impressive user interface and on-line store to make it a truly great experience.

Please be patient with us.

Dan Doughty
Director of Business Development
Snail

Reactions: m.morcielago

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
Verizon does work

Oh forgot to mention Dan stated W3D does work on Verizon in the US nicely. So I cancelled my order purely because of the wait time. But if you plan on canceling just because you are worried if Verizon will work and dont mind waiting then don't cancel. It will work on Verizon.

On snails Facebook page I took a screenshot of the Amazon release date and left a pretty nasty comment regarding my frustration with this phone and the company. Some of it might be harsh but I am just really really upset with them the weight alone has already been asinine and now this happens and no communication from the company on this device or any announcement of the date being pushed back. Snail should be the first place everyone goes to for communication and they have no communication whatsoever. It seems like all that I want to push is there age of wushu. I realize I am just venting, but again I am just very disappointed and angry with them. I am sure a crapton goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but this has to be one of the worst product roll outs I've seen. Again, just upset. Rant done.

Last edited:

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
Hey Ozzman

I feel your frustration and pissed offness....I am still on a darn iPhone 5...I never upgraded or cared to because I (probably like you) was one of the first to pre order this on Amazon once it went live.

Anyways lets wait till Q1 of 2016 and see what happens. If there are hardware upgrades between now and then maybe delays will be worth it. I'm sure Snail US in under considerable amount of stress and must be working hard to get this phone out.

Last edited:
I feel your frustration and pissed offness....I am still on a damn iPhone 5...I never upgraded or cared to because I (probably like you) was one of the first to pre order this on Amazon once it went live. I myself am extremely frustrated with two things...

1) It is ok to postpone the phone launch but don't do it a week out from launch and at least...AT LEAST...post on your Facebook page that you guys are extremely sorry and apologize for the delay.

2) Communication (or lack thereof) from Snail has been hush hush since CES announcement. Being proactive with your customers' would've saved a lot of pre order cancellations.

Anyways lets wait till Q1 of 2016 and see what happens. If there are hardware upgrades between now and then maybe delays will be worth it.

If/when they do release the W3D and they have already mentioned the specs won't change, they should lower the price to something more appropriate for the specs. Currently the specs are already aging. I cancelled my preorder on this phone. I will wait for it to come out and see what the reviews are. But to be honest I have also been eyeballing the zte axon pro for its specs and price. I also own a vita and love it but something like the xperia play and snail w3d would be nice to not have to carry two devices. Anyways time will tell. Even if it will be about one week shy of a year since they announced this phone when its released.

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
Lol

I still use my xperia play as well. I am just shocked nothing like it has come out since 2011....bummer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We are looking forward to trying it.

J

Just got a response from John at techno Buffalo this guy is awesome at responding to emails.

We would actually love to try this, any idea on when it will ship?

If everyone can take a moment of their time to thank John at TechnoBuffalo.
    On snails Facebook page I took a screenshot of the Amazon release date and left a pretty nasty comment regarding my frustration with this phone and the company. Some of it might be harsh but I am just really really upset with them the weight alone has already been asinine and now this happens and no communication from the company on this device or any announcement of the date being pushed back. Snail should be the first place everyone goes to for communication and they have no communication whatsoever. It seems like all that I want to push is there age of wushu. I realize I am just venting, but again I am just very disappointed and angry with them. I am sure a crapton goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but this has to be one of the worst product roll outs I've seen. Again, just upset. Rant done.
    Awesomeness man that thing is going to be practically out of date when it comes out better have some kick ass games!

Sent from my LT28i using XDA Free mobile app

I read on droid gamers that supposedly they are replacing the Mediatek processor with a unknown snapdragon

As much as I want this phone to be awesome, I am getting very frustrated with Snail games on their lack of comunication, and the fact that we have wait 6 months for the release date and now 6 more months for release, this is ridiculous.
    Amazon just posted this phone with the release date of December 31st for $399

Snail Mobile W3D Gaming Cell Phone, Unlocked - Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YZ2T55K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_TrWGvb3ZP0MR7

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=1&articleid=43548945&source=hangouts

Not a single peep from Snail games via their Facebook page as to a release date or pricing.
    Just noticed this official post on Snail's website:

http://www.snail.com/en/news/2015/0108/8683.html

I realize this article is several months old now, but I noticed the following line for those in the US who are interested:

" The phones available in the North American market will arrive unlocked and compatible with most U.S. network providers."

Guess this means that, at the time of this writing, they either did not plan on any carrier support in store, or had nothing lined up yet. That's all, just wanted to share what I found.