• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Snail W3D gaming android smartphone,New generation of Xperia PLAY

Search This thread

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
Yeah, depending on the span of the delay, since I'm sure no self-respecting company will release a new device after the holiday season, I am sure that date is a place holder, but with Snail being so mum on what's going on, it's pretty irritating.

Snail really needs to be more open about this device. Why the delay? I hope it isn't just them making their store app look better on launch day. You don't stop your device launch a week before for something like that. Anything software related, other than lollipop, which probably needs some tweaking to work with the controls, can be released over their update app.

Other than a hardware change, or something major, a delay now for something trivial such as the interface change, or online store change can wait. I would feel better if they stated the delay due to the fact the iPhone 6S is releasing. Hopefully, it's to announce that the smaller version is also releasing.

I'm not cancelling my pre-order since it's already paid and I'm sure the price isn't going up, it better not, if anything down, but beside the point, I still want a new Gaming phone. I currently retired my Xperia Play this February to the tune of Snail's W1 gaming phone, and the phone works great despite a few pitfalls. I really hope Snail comes clean about this delay.

Last edited:

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
@DroidX2

Great valid points you made.

Im thinking about the Much W1. Do you know if it works for verizon cdma? And also do you like the W1? How is button mapping? How is build quality? Do you recommend it as an xperia play replacement?

Last edited:

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
Oh forgot to mention Dan stated W3D does work on Verizon in the US nicely. So I cancelled my order purely because of the wait time. But if you plan on canceling just because you are worried if Verizon will work and dont mind waiting then don't cancel. It will work on Verizon.

If that's the case, then they must have another variant of it that they haven't listed specs for because those that they have listed do not match Verizon at all. Or maybe they're piggybacking on someone else's (AT&T's) network as I'm pretty sure that they have to share the 700MHz band thanks to Google when the spectrum was auctioned off. Otherwise he's lying.

Great valid points you made. It IS a little suspect the reasons they gave for delay.....

I think I will order the Much W1. Do you know if it works for verizon cdma? And also do you like the W1? How is button mapping? How is build quality? Do you recommend it as an xperia play replacement?

The Much W1 was GSM/WCDMA-only. It didn't even have LTE, so it's completely incompatible with Verizon on their CDMA/EV-DO network. WCDMA and CDMA are entirely different from each other. WCDMA is also known as UMTS. I found another decent review of it and here are the supported GSM and WCDMA frequencies:

• 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
  • 3G: WCDMA 2100M/1900M/900MHz
  • 4G: NO 4G support

If you recall the network frequencies and technologies:
us-wireless-bands.png

So really the only 3G frequency supported is 1900MHz on both AT&T and T-Mobile and 2100MHz for T-Mobile. Considering that video reviewer mentioned above was on T-Mobile and had poor 3G connectivity, that doesn't bode well for it as a phone.

Here's the link to the reviews:
http://manguiro.blogspot.com/2015/03/review-snail-much-w1-ireadygo-78dian.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGblp5TDi8

Last edited:

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
So that means

The Xperia Play is the ONLY gaming phone with hardware controls in 2015 that works with all US major networks? That is sad and pathetic. iPhone is another phone that has mfi form fitting controls but they are super bulky. I can't believe there is NO solid options for gaming phones. This sucks

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
The Xperia Play is the ONLY gaming phone with hardware controls in 2015 that works with all US major networks? That is sad and pathetic. iPhone is another phone that has mfi form fitting controls but they are super bulky. I can't believe there is NO solid options for gaming phones. This sucks

So far as I've found, that seems to be the case. There was the Bladepad for iPhone 4S and 5, but as far as I'm aware it was never modified to use the standardized gamepad API and I haven't heard anything new in the last couple years:
http://www.bladepad.com/about/Supported-Devices/

The only other one I can think of is the JXD S5800:
http://www.jxdofficial.com/jxd-s5800-3g-phone-game-console-299.html

It's significantly cheaper, but the specs are also much lower. It's a MediaTek MTK6582 (Quad-Core Cortex A7 @1.3GHz), so it's more like a slightly faster quad-core version of the Xperia Play. It's still about as big as a PS Vita or PSP. Although it seems to support some different WCDMA bands (850/2100MHz) that I believe are a bit more common for AT&T and T-Mobile (sorry, still no Verizon support).

Here are a couple reviews on it:
http://www.digitalversus.com/mobile-phone/jxd-s5800-p19039/test.html
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615389-android/69202081

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
Great valid points you made.

Im thinking about the Much W1. Do you know if it works for verizon cdma? And also do you like the W1? How is button mapping? How is build quality? Do you recommend it as an xperia play replacement?

The Much W1 is GSM/WCDMA(HSPDA) only. I have it with AT&T and it works fairly good, but inside coverage isn't all that great, or to say, pretty bad since the only frequencies supported are the higher 1900 and 2100. While 2G is supported on the 850, it won't do much. Between the reviews, I would say Daniel's review on youtube is accurate for a normal user, but Deen0X review is more comprehensive of those that use tweaks and understand more of what is in the device.

I left Verizon just to get this phone, but be warned that Verizon is network top dog for a reason, lol! The device does replace the Xperia Play for me. I can play games with ease, the phone is no slouch either. I can have 5 full games, probably more, running in the background and switch between without slowdown. I could barely run Shadow Fight alone on Xperia Play, although not insulting the Play in no way. The default button mapper is good for normal games, but for more detailed games, and fighting games, you will want Tincore Mapper. It works beautifully with the Much W1.

The build quality is mediocre. The feel of the device isn't as solid as most devices I've used. The plastic doesn't seem too strong, and the length of the device doesn't help when in the pocket. With the glossy build it's a fingerprint magnet. But I have to say, with the bronze trimming and design, it's a nice looking device.

As for the buttons. They are strong and clicky. Not the best, but they are highly functional. However, a major gripe for fighting gamers, such as myself, is the D-Pad. The location of it is behind a molding, which looks nice, but blocks movements to the right. Pulling off a fireball or dragon punch requires practice. Shoulder buttons and face buttons are good, although I did confront the sticky R button mentioned in the review. I fixed it by tightening some of the screws on the back of the device.
The analogs work surprising well. I have played a couple of third person and first person games with them and they function quite nicely. They aren't console perfect, but light-years better than the touch pads on the Xperia Play, man I hated those. The Start and select buttons are oddly placed and take time to get used to, but they work nicely. I wish they were back-lit though.

Overall, if you are on Verizon, with the W3D releasing soon(crosses fingers) I would wait it out, since the W1 has its share of ups and downs. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome device and I'm glad I have it. I left Verizon unlimited data for this device, and don't regret it, but in your position, I would stick with the Play until Snail makes a move.

If you have any other questions regarding the Snail W1, feel free to ask.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

If that's the case, then they must have another variant of it that they haven't listed specs for because those that they have listed do not match Verizon at all. Or maybe they're piggybacking on someone else's (AT&T's) network as I'm pretty sure that they have to share the 700MHz band thanks to Google when the spectrum was auctioned off. Otherwise he's lying.

You may have a point. Not sure why, but the specs sheet they gave is the same spec sheet that's been on AliExpress for a while now, more specifically the Band information. My question is, if this device which was supposed to release limited to the US, why release it with Chinese bands supported? It was advertised as unlocked, working on all US bands, so why does the spec sheet clearly exclude Verizon, and halfway supporting everyone else? And if he is stating that the device supports Verizon, then that spec sheet has to be wrong.

Once again, like it was stated earlier, this has fallen back to poor communication on Snail's part to share the details of this device. I understand developing for a new emerging market can be taxing, but the elementary thing to do is keep the hype by releasing information regarding the device.

Last edited:

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
Snail is a good company and I'm sure they will come through. If Snail needs the time to perfect the w3d by all means do so because they are just making it better for us. I have faith in them and I'm going to patiently wait for the official release come early 2016. Big fan of the device and I'm optimistic Snail USA will come through and it will be glorious!!!! Talk to you guys in a couple months after official release.

psxpetey

Dec 4, 2011
www.youtube.com
On snails Facebook page I took a screenshot of the Amazon release date and left a pretty nasty comment regarding my frustration with this phone and the company. Some of it might be harsh but I am just really really upset with them the weight alone has already been asinine and now this happens and no communication from the company on this device or any announcement of the date being pushed back. Snail should be the first place everyone goes to for communication and they have no communication whatsoever. It seems like all that I want to push is there age of wushu. I realize I am just venting, but again I am just very disappointed and angry with them. I am sure a crapton goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but this has to be one of the worst product roll outs I've seen. Again, just upset. Rant done.

They are mind-blowingly slow.

Sent from my D6603 using XDA Free mobile app

david7380

Dec 2, 2008
Columbia
Finally here we are three or four days later after Amazon changed the release date for this phone and official page has gone up.

http://www.snail.com/en/news/2015/0922/10476.html

Purchase it says that they have pushed the release date to an undisclosed date but that they will work on the software for this phone

Honestly the waiting would be worth it only if they are planning to launch the smaller non-3D version as well. Otherwise the delay would be useless and unjustified for a device with a 2014 hardware.

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
The smaller version has been pretty much non-existant other than a small mention earlier this year. Barely much info for the W3D actually. The spec sheet given was actually on Aliexpress months ago. The internals have been widely know since its first mention last year in China. Putting everything together, we really don't know much else about the device, seeing it's close to release, I hope.

Reactions: psxpetey

Sgill1036

Aug 23, 2015
Yeah

The smaller version would have been ideal for comfort purposes as well as adding a bit of incognito gameplay out in public. The 3D feature within the bigger W3D i feel won't be utilized by users as a everyday thing.....I would take the smaller (non 3d) version over the bigger 3d version hands down. Im a loyal Snail customer still after delay was announced. Still can't wait to get my hands on it and load every possible emulator i can install....

To Snail USA.......please still release the phone. Don't be like Razer or Bladepad and announce the product then NOT release it! I have faith in you guys to not abandon the W3D because even though the hardware is a but outdated, there is obviously a group of us who have been patiently waiting since 2011 (almost 6 freaking years) for an Xperia Play alternative.

navilon

Jun 5, 2010
I'm confused

Has this device already been released in china?. There is a seller on aliexpress that has the W3D up for sale.

I cant post links yet, but just google "aliexpress 32275921397"

DroidX2

Aug 12, 2011
The AliExpress page has been up for a while. I would check with the seller to verify if they actually have physical stock of the device. The pictures and description they have posted is easily obtained through a search engine. Perhaps a new picture of the device, or the device packaging.

navilon

Jun 5, 2010
The AliExpress page has been up for a while. I would check with the seller to verify if they actually have physical stock of the device. The pictures and description they have posted is easily obtained through a search engine. Perhaps a new picture of the device, or the device packaging.

I got a response from the vendor and he said "I don't know when I'll have these in stock"

Reactions: DroidX2

navilon

Jun 5, 2010
GPS?

I'm thinking about replacing my phone with this device. but the lack of GPS might be a deal breaker.

Anyone know if this was mentioned? I cant seem to find full specs for this device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We are looking forward to trying it.

J

Just got a response from John at techno Buffalo this guy is awesome at responding to emails.

We would actually love to try this, any idea on when it will ship?

If everyone can take a moment of their time to thank John at TechnoBuffalo.
    On snails Facebook page I took a screenshot of the Amazon release date and left a pretty nasty comment regarding my frustration with this phone and the company. Some of it might be harsh but I am just really really upset with them the weight alone has already been asinine and now this happens and no communication from the company on this device or any announcement of the date being pushed back. Snail should be the first place everyone goes to for communication and they have no communication whatsoever. It seems like all that I want to push is there age of wushu. I realize I am just venting, but again I am just very disappointed and angry with them. I am sure a crapton goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but this has to be one of the worst product roll outs I've seen. Again, just upset. Rant done.
    Awesomeness man that thing is going to be practically out of date when it comes out better have some kick ass games!

Sent from my LT28i using XDA Free mobile app

I read on droid gamers that supposedly they are replacing the Mediatek processor with a unknown snapdragon

As much as I want this phone to be awesome, I am getting very frustrated with Snail games on their lack of comunication, and the fact that we have wait 6 months for the release date and now 6 more months for release, this is ridiculous.
    Amazon just posted this phone with the release date of December 31st for $399

Snail Mobile W3D Gaming Cell Phone, Unlocked - Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YZ2T55K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_TrWGvb3ZP0MR7

http://www.appy-geek.com/Web/ArticleWeb.aspx?regionid=1&articleid=43548945&source=hangouts

Not a single peep from Snail games via their Facebook page as to a release date or pricing.
    Just noticed this official post on Snail's website:

http://www.snail.com/en/news/2015/0108/8683.html

I realize this article is several months old now, but I noticed the following line for those in the US who are interested:

" The phones available in the North American market will arrive unlocked and compatible with most U.S. network providers."

Guess this means that, at the time of this writing, they either did not plan on any carrier support in store, or had nothing lined up yet. That's all, just wanted to share what I found.