Snapdragon 855 vs Exynos 9820?

Search This thread

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If verizon is still 100% CDMA then no, the exynos only works on GSM.

Last year the snap was better on battery then exynos but every year previously it was the other way around. That said i have no problem getting 6hrs SOT on my exynos note 9

The snapdragons have always had better GPUs as well

I'm pretty sure I just bought an Exynos version off of Craigslist. It was brand new, still with stickers and wayyyy less than I would've paid anywhere else. It's dual sim, unlockable bootloader, and when I looked up the ESN online it came up globally whitelisted by Swappa. I also checked each carrier on checkesnfree.com and when I searched AT&T it identified the phone as a Korea S10+. The model # reads SM-G975F.

All of that said, I'm on Verizon and it's working perfectly so far.

I have an S9+ (snapdragon) and I never rooted it because some features would be permanently disabled. If I unlock the bootloader on this phone, would it disable those features (Samsung Pay, etc). I'm a recent Pixel convert and I could unlock them and as long as I didn't root, those type apps worked fine.

If I won't lose any features I'd prefer to unlock now since I haven't finished setting up this phone yet.

Reactions: Chr0nicDreamz

rsktkr1

Nov 10, 2009
DENVER
I bought a S9+ on Amazon last year with Exynos processor. I will never buy Snapdragon until the boot loader can be unlocked. I have official Lineage OS 15.1 running with Magisk and safety net status is all "true". Google Pay works fine. I want a S10+. I will wait I do not see TWRP available yet for S10+.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure I just bought an Exynos version off of Craigslist. It was brand new, still with stickers and wayyyy less than I would've paid anywhere else. It's dual sim, unlockable bootloader, and when I looked up the ESN online it came up globally whitelisted by Swappa. I also checked each carrier on checkesnfree.com and when I searched AT&T it identified the phone as a Korea S10+. The model # reads SM-G975F.

I have an S9+ (snapdragon) and I never rooted it because some features would be permanently disabled. If I unlock the bootloader on this phone, would it disable those features (Samsung Pay, etc). I'm a recent Pixel convert and I could unlock them and as long as I didn't root, those type apps worked fine.

If I won't lose any features I'd prefer to unlock now since I haven't finished setting up this phone yet.

You cannot unlock the boot loader on snapdragon.

Last edited:

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This is a great phone but so far I've been unable to get WiFi calling to work. I get no service at work so WiFi calling is a must for me. I'll bring my backup phone with me tomorrow and try a few things while I'm there. As much as I like it, most likely this phone will be up for sale soon. I've rooted/flashed more phones than I can remember but these days it's more about full functionality to me than modifying. It is nice to have the option to modify if I find a need though.

I bought a S9+ on Amazon last year with Exynos processor. I will never buy Snapdragon until the boot loader can be unlocked. I have official Lineage OS 15.1 running with Magisk and safety net status is all "true". Google Pay works fine. I want a S10+. I will wait I do not see TWRP available yet for S10+.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

force70

Yes you can, just not the NA snaps.

Latin America and HK snaps can be unlocked

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

975F is the international version 975N would be Korean but both exynos.

Somewhere on here I read that verizon has made some changes to their network but i live in Canada so dont know for sure. But i do know that up to the release of the Note 9 exynos will not work on CDMA networks

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yes you can, just not the NA snaps.

Latin America and HK snaps can be unlocked

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

975F is the international version 975N would be Korean but both exynos.

Somewhere on here I read that verizon has made some changes to their network but i live in Canada so dont know for sure. But i do know that up to the release of the Note 9 exynos will not work on CDMA networks

They've been slowly shifting away from CDMA. I don't think I'll ever be able to get 3G on this phone but the only time I don't have LTE is when I don't have service at all (work).

rsktkr1

Nov 10, 2009
DENVER
Not see any custom roms for Latin American or HK version of Snapdragon because TWRP just released. All US versions of Snapdragon boot loader is locked.

sireniankyle

Sep 21, 2012
From what I'm seeing this year, the differences are;
Exynos:
-Root
-TWRP
-Better CPU
-Most likely faster updates

SD:
-7nm (possibly better battery life when compared to the Exynos' 8nm)
-Faster LTE in the U.S. (based off my personal usage in the midwest on AT&T. I previously owned an Exynos S9+, and the download speeds are multiple times faster on the S10+. I went from 2mbps to 29mbps)
-Better gpu (games run more smoothly)
-Better support in the U.S. (like CDMA)

Reactions: Flying Fox

stanley08

Jun 23, 2012
Lagos, Nigeria.
titaniumideas.blogspot.com
Can that be used on Verizon? I heard the battery life was better on the Snapdragon version though.

No, GSM Only. I am in Nigeria. Though I bought it off eBay in the US. Lol.

Last year the snap was better on battery then exynos but every year previously it was the other way around. That said i have no problem getting 6hrs SOT on my exynos note 9

Check out the battery screenshot I attached. I did use the phone for long stretches of time tho. 8hrs+ screen with 20% left. Exynos model

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190313-233317_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190313-233317_Settings.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: force70

Corv0

Feb 28, 2019
From what I'm seeing this year, the differences are;

-7nm (possibly better battery life when compared to the Exynos' 8nm)
-Better gpu (games run more smoothly)

They're both quite possibly false, the Snapdragon seems to defy its theoretical 7nm advantage regarding power efficiency, have a look at our SoT thread, battery life is almost half of what the average Exynos gets, good node but poorly designed?

About the GPU, they perform exactly the same for the first time, focus on the off-screen results, on-screen puts the S10 in disadvantage due to the higher render resolution.

I was quite triggered when I first heard how much the Snapdragon would perform better, I don't worry about that anymore, we have unlockable bootloaders, great power efficiency and very competing GPU power.

sireniankyle

Sep 21, 2012
They're both quite possibly false, the Snapdragon seems to defy its theoretical 7nm advantage regarding power efficiency, have a look at our SoT thread, battery life is almost half of what the average Exynos gets, good node but poorly designed?

About the GPU, they perform exactly the same for the first time, focus on the off-screen results, on-screen puts the S10 in disadvantage due to the higher render resolution.

I was quite triggered when I first heard how much the Snapdragon would perform better, I don't worry about that anymore, we have unlockable bootloaders, great power efficiency and very competing GPU power.

You can't say ignore on screen when you are comparing 2 S10's. The resolution is the same. and there is quite the gap in every benchmark that I have checked. As far as battery, I can only account for mine. Which is pretty damn good. My usage is about the same as the Exynos users. There are a couple of people tweaking every single setting to extend their battery life, but otherwise everyone seems to be getting the same. It's hard to pinpoint which is better when so many unknowns exist (location, signal strength, app usage, bluetooth accessories) So the thought that battery life is half is just wrong.

Last edited:

Corv0

Feb 28, 2019
You can't say ignore on screen when you are comparing 2 S10's. The resolution is the same. and there is quite the gap in every benchmark that I have checked. As far as battery, I can only account for mine. Which is pretty damn good. My usage is about the same as the Exynos users. There are a couple of people tweaking every single setting to extend their battery life, but otherwise everyone seems to be getting the same. It's hard to pinpoint which is better when so many unknowns exist (location, signal strength, app usage, bluetooth accessories) So the thought that battery life is half is just wrong.

What?
I'm talking about the on-screen rendering GPU benchmarks.

But of course you can't ignore screen on time values, it's our major evidence about Exynos being more efficient.

sireniankyle

Sep 21, 2012
What?
I'm talking about the on-screen rendering GPU benchmarks.

But of course you can't ignore screen on time values, it's our major evidence about Exynos being more efficient.

Sorry, the 2 topics are getting mixed. On screen rendering is relevant when the resolution on both devices is the same. And the those values tell us a lot. We can turn to real world use for this. PUBG; you'll get a smoother framerate with SD than EX on there.

As for SOT, they're the same. I went through all the pages. Same.

sireniankyle

Sep 21, 2012
I think PUBG is not optimised for exynos variant yet.

There are a couple tests out there also. IDK how much faith you have in benchmarks, but....

A Youtuber named "Gary Explains" created his own speed test app. It does a combination of testing the cpu and gpu. The results show that the Exynos S10 took as long as an SD845 Note 9. The SDS10 was 14 seconds faster.

3DMark shows that the SDS9+ scores higher in slingshot Extreme than the Exynos S10+. The SDS10+ had around a 1,200 point lead.

Antutu shows the EX S10+ scoring CPU:101,529, UX: 69,550, and 3D:149,434 with an overall of 332,850
Antutu has no listing for the SD version, so I have to reference my own. CPU: 121,994, UX: 71,472, GPU: 157,036 with an overall of 362,329.

I don't take benchmarks as gospel, but there is a huge gap that can't be ignored.

Now credit where it is due; When referencing Geekbench 4, while the SD beats EX in multi-core, the opposite is true in single core, and many people argue that single core is way more important. So if an app loads faster on Exynos, I figure that's why, but from everything that I have seen, the gpu is not even a close race.

Fun fact: my Exynos S9+ has a higher single core score than my SD S10+.

Last edited:

varcor

Jul 15, 2017
San Diego
Samsung Galaxy S10+

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No US stores will sell an Exynos phone. You should almost certainly receive a SD version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hi guys.
    I will be in the US at march 8th and i'm planning to get the s10+.
    My plan is to get it in a physical store and I want to be shure that my phone comes with the snapdragon CPU.
    Does the stores in the US only sells the snapdragon version or there is a possibility that the phone comes with the Exynos?
    I was told that only the carriers locked phones comes with the snapdragon, is that true?

*will use the phone in Brazil
    Thank you!

Any handset bought in the US will be Snapdragon - not Exynos, whether it's bought from a carrier, reseller, or whatever. Unlocked US versions are also Snapdragon only.
    Preordered my S10+ from samsung site so would that be SD?

Yea got dinged with that $66 tax!

Yes...
    Looks like the s9/s9+ Snapdragon variant just got TWRP. https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...ly-available-for-the-snapdragon-galaxy-s9-s9/
    The s10/s10+ Snapdragon variant wont be rootable for sure? How come?

Not for american version, only south america/china , they have unlocked bootloader