Question Snapdragon 870 stuck on lower maximum frequencies - laggy UI/unsmooth scrolling

Search This thread

jefffrom

Oct 19, 2016
Very interesting thread I'm on arrow 11 and it does come up at 2 .7 but I also don't notice any lag or stutter going back to unlock frequencies do you notice a big hit the battery life?

TheBrutalLicker

Mar 23, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
Maybe we could attempt to create a list of all confirmed 3.2 ghz roms? :)

AFAIK not a single AOSP manages to workaround this issue(al tough would be joyful if we could find one!), how about custom MIUI Rom based 3.2 Ghz builds?

michelD

Jan 12, 2009
Google Nexus 4
HTC Desire 820
No problems at all here with MMX MIUI A12 v21.12.1
All the CPUs can go to the max frequency.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20211209_200109.jpg
    IMG_20211209_200109.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 133
Hey! Are you able to overclock the GPU by any means? People say it is locked and will put you in a bootloop.
U can use app Konabess.

Try using my config. Before that, backup your vendor_image from app if something get bootloop.

Tested Genshin impact.

Attachments

• UC and OC for Poco F3 (150-683 Mhz).txt
    891 bytes · Views: 47

finalgravity525

Jul 7, 2012
U can use app Konabess.

Try using my config. Before that, backup your vendor_image from app if something get bootloop.

Tested Genshin impact.
I also use konabess but I noticed even if I downclocked the gpu to the lowest possible when playing mobile legends is still taking the same power draw but when I use 3dmark and gfxbench the power draw is much lower compare to the stock voltages.

Bosstek

Jan 12, 2022
U can use app Konabess.

Tested Genshin impact.
Oh thx! But thats the thing I forgot to mention I am familar that it overclock to 683mhz but not even 1mhz more. Saw a comment about someone mentioning he tried it on oneplus 9r and pocof3 and was throwing it in a bootloop. Just 13mhz gain is almost no gain though, i guess SD870 users got unlucky.

Rstment ^m^

Aug 19, 2018
Xiaomi Poco F3
On arrow os you can select kernel profiles inside battery settings - default value gives almost half the fps when in games , if you bump it up to benchmark or gaming profile the fps becomes almost the same as stock , in some games better but in some worse...

Try arrow 12 , the latest updates are insane . Really good performance / battery life and bluetooth - like 0 latency bluetooth. Feels better than miui when you enable everything - perfomance mode and faster touch polling

Sauceunny

Dec 31, 2021
On arrow os you can select kernel profiles inside battery settings - default value gives almost half the fps when in games , if you bump it up to benchmark or gaming profile the fps becomes almost the same as stock , in some games better but in some worse...

Try arrow 12 , the latest updates are insane . Really good performance / battery life and bluetooth - like 0 latency bluetooth. Feels better than miui when you enable everything - perfomance mode and faster touch polling
Are the values of ArrowOS profiles based on the stock kernel or do they change depending on what you have installed? I would assume the latter but was wondering if you have experience.

ale82to

Apr 7, 2014
there 's a Magisk module to solve this issue I ve found it from a telegram channel flashed 3.19 GHz and finally I got full speed on snap 870

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I've been having a terrible problem ever since I tried the ArrowOS Android 12 ROM. I noticed that my phone was notably less smooth when scrolling and it had an ever so slight delay to touch that was infuriating, it's not really that visible but it makes the phone feel very sluggish. Scrolling/flinging would result in a lot of stuttering as well.

I poked around and inspected the kernel, and it seems like there's something wrong with the values for the CPU since the maximum the CPU will go to is 2750 on the fastest core instead of 3.2 and 2250 on the big cores (the LITTLE cores are at 1.8ghz max as intended). Now of course this still shouldn't mean the phone should lag as a snapdragon 870 even at those speeds is plenty fast for things like reddit and youtube and such, but I think this might be related to my problem with the smoothness of the UI.

I've since tried going back to official LineageOS 18.1 but the CPU was still stuck to the lower values and the UI was still not smooth. I've tried going back to the latest global fastboot ROM as well but even on full stock, when installing the fastboot rom through Miflash and doing everything clean, the CPU is stuck at these lower values and the smoothness is affected.

What exactly is wrong with my phone? I also tried a few different kernels and none of them were able to go back to the default SD870 settings. The kernel manager shows the maximum values in the dropdown but if I choose to set them as the maximum CPU frequency, they just revert back as soon as the screen refreshes. Setting the scheduler to performance just sticks the frequency to 2750/2250/1800 at all times, it just won't go to 3200/2500/1800 at all.

Is there any way this can be remedied? Has anyone ever experienced this with a phone? I tried goggling it and found nothing...

Thanks for any answers!
    I can confirm that the latest chinese ROM also has these same frequencies. The only time I was able to get the proper CPU values out of my CPU and a smooth experience is when booting a copy of 15.2.1.0 - it's not related to any app since I tried multiple apps to display CPU info, and when using the CPU throttling test, only 12.5.1.0 allows the CPU to get up to 3.2/2.5.

I tried installing LOS over 12.5.1 but it still locks to 2750/2250. Flashing over 12.5.1.0 firmware onto the LOS install also does nothing. I tried putting the 12.5.4.0 kernel (boot.img) over the 12.5.1.0 ROM to see if the kernel alone makes the difference, but aside not being able to use the network with the 12.5.4.0 kernel, the speeds are still unlocked on 12.5.1.0 with the 12.5.4.0 boot.img. It's smelling awfully like Xiaomi locked down the performance of the SD870 to increase battery life/reduce temperatures at some point between 12.5.1.0 and 12.5.4.0 (I haven't tried 12.5.2.0 yet). I remember LineageOS not having this problem when I switched to Arrow in early novermber but Arrow had it out the gate (but I decided to stick with it to try Android 12 out).

Barring some strange inconcievable problem with my device alone it seems awfully like something Apple would do backhandedly, restricting your CPU through the software just-cause. It doesn't seem like it's a kernel or a firmware change but something deeper, as flashing over both from other versions do not change this behavior - it's locked down on some level that doesn't seem as easy to unlock. I don't want to be alarming but I am at a loss right now and I'll probably use 12.5.1.0 till I can find a more sensible solution. I might try installing an old version of LineageOS later to see whether it locks the speeds down, and to try and see which version triggers the newer values.
    After updating I can confirm 12.5.2.0 is the last known good version with the default maximum clocks. The ROM runs super smoothly and it's a joy to use, if only you could disable dynamic refresh on MIUI...

I've tried two other roms but they both had the new values. I really don't know why there is no option to boost the clocks manually via a kernel manager/different kernel, but even aside from the advertised clocks and all that this has really affected the smoothness of my F3; does anyone have an up-to-date AOSP ROM that has normal clocks? You can check with a kernel manager/downlod CPU Throttling Test and see the maximum clocks you get as soon as you press start.
    Hello,

I've been having a terrible problem ever since I tried the ArrowOS Android 12 ROM. I noticed that my phone was notably less smooth when scrolling and it had an ever so slight delay to touch that was infuriating, it's not really that visible but it makes the phone feel very sluggish. Scrolling/flinging would result in a lot of stuttering as well.

I poked around and inspected the kernel, and it seems like there's something wrong with the values for the CPU since the maximum the CPU will go to is 2750 on the fastest core instead of 3.2 and 2250 on the big cores (the LITTLE cores are at 1.8ghz max as intended). Now of course this still shouldn't mean the phone should lag as a snapdragon 870 even at those speeds is plenty fast for things like reddit and youtube and such, but I think this might be related to my problem with the smoothness of the UI.

I've since tried going back to official LineageOS 18.1 but the CPU was still stuck to the lower values and the UI was still not smooth. I've tried going back to the latest global fastboot ROM as well but even on full stock, when installing the fastboot rom through Miflash and doing everything clean, the CPU is stuck at these lower values and the smoothness is affected.

What exactly is wrong with my phone? I also tried a few different kernels and none of them were able to go back to the default SD870 settings. The kernel manager shows the maximum values in the dropdown but if I choose to set them as the maximum CPU frequency, they just revert back as soon as the screen refreshes. Setting the scheduler to performance just sticks the frequency to 2750/2250/1800 at all times, it just won't go to 3200/2500/1800 at all.

Is there any way this can be remedied? Has anyone ever experienced this with a phone? I tried goggling it and found nothing...

Thanks for any answers!
    the freqs that you report are normal. Most of the roms that i have tried do not go above 2750. They are underclocked a lil. So no issues with your device