Question Snapdragon 870 stuck on lower maximum frequencies - laggy UI/unsmooth scrolling

Search This thread

companyja

Nov 10, 2016
Hello,

I've been having a terrible problem ever since I tried the ArrowOS Android 12 ROM. I noticed that my phone was notably less smooth when scrolling and it had an ever so slight delay to touch that was infuriating, it's not really that visible but it makes the phone feel very sluggish. Scrolling/flinging would result in a lot of stuttering as well.

I poked around and inspected the kernel, and it seems like there's something wrong with the values for the CPU since the maximum the CPU will go to is 2750 on the fastest core instead of 3.2 and 2250 on the big cores (the LITTLE cores are at 1.8ghz max as intended). Now of course this still shouldn't mean the phone should lag as a snapdragon 870 even at those speeds is plenty fast for things like reddit and youtube and such, but I think this might be related to my problem with the smoothness of the UI.

I've since tried going back to official LineageOS 18.1 but the CPU was still stuck to the lower values and the UI was still not smooth. I've tried going back to the latest global fastboot ROM as well but even on full stock, when installing the fastboot rom through Miflash and doing everything clean, the CPU is stuck at these lower values and the smoothness is affected.

What exactly is wrong with my phone? I also tried a few different kernels and none of them were able to go back to the default SD870 settings. The kernel manager shows the maximum values in the dropdown but if I choose to set them as the maximum CPU frequency, they just revert back as soon as the screen refreshes. Setting the scheduler to performance just sticks the frequency to 2750/2250/1800 at all times, it just won't go to 3200/2500/1800 at all.

Is there any way this can be remedied? Has anyone ever experienced this with a phone? I tried goggling it and found nothing...

Thanks for any answers!

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hello,

I've been having a terrible problem ever since I tried the ArrowOS Android 12 ROM. I noticed that my phone was notably less smooth when scrolling and it had an ever so slight delay to touch that was infuriating, it's not really that visible but it makes the phone feel very sluggish. Scrolling/flinging would result in a lot of stuttering as well.

I poked around and inspected the kernel, and it seems like there's something wrong with the values for the CPU since the maximum the CPU will go to is 2750 on the fastest core instead of 3.2 and 2250 on the big cores (the LITTLE cores are at 1.8ghz max as intended). Now of course this still shouldn't mean the phone should lag as a snapdragon 870 even at those speeds is plenty fast for things like reddit and youtube and such, but I think this might be related to my problem with the smoothness of the UI.

I've since tried going back to official LineageOS 18.1 but the CPU was still stuck to the lower values and the UI was still not smooth. I've tried going back to the latest global fastboot ROM as well but even on full stock, when installing the fastboot rom through Miflash and doing everything clean, the CPU is stuck at these lower values and the smoothness is affected.

What exactly is wrong with my phone? I also tried a few different kernels and none of them were able to go back to the default SD870 settings. The kernel manager shows the maximum values in the dropdown but if I choose to set them as the maximum CPU frequency, they just revert back as soon as the screen refreshes. Setting the scheduler to performance just sticks the frequency to 2750/2250/1800 at all times, it just won't go to 3200/2500/1800 at all.

Is there any way this can be remedied? Has anyone ever experienced this with a phone? I tried goggling it and found nothing...

Thanks for any answers!
the freqs that you report are normal. Most of the roms that i have tried do not go above 2750. They are underclocked a lil. So no issues with your device

Reactions: companyja

companyja

Nov 10, 2016
the freqs that you report are normal. Most of the roms that i have tried do not go above 2750. They are underclocked a lil. So no issues with your device
I understand that default kernels might want to underclock a little but I am literally unable to change these settings and my UI is not smooth at all so I am having a problem, I don't want to unlock the frequencies just for benchmarks or whatever. I am unable to change these frequencies even on the stock global ROM on a fresh fastboot install, I don't think that's normal?

Reactions: m0lly.

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
I understand that default kernels might want to underclock a little but I am literally unable to change these settings and my UI is not smooth at all so I am having a problem, I don't want to unlock the frequencies just for benchmarks or whatever. I am unable to change these frequencies even on the stock global ROM on a fresh fastboot install, I don't think that's normal?
that happened with me too. Simple fix was to flash china fastboot *pls do not lock the bootloader on china* just flash and see. The freqs came back to normal for me and switching between freqs works. btw take it easy it'll def be back to normal, try this out^^^

Reactions: companyja

companyja

Nov 10, 2016
that happened with me too. Simple fix was to flash china fastboot *pls do not lock the bootloader on china* just flash and see. The freqs came back to normal for me and switching between freqs works. btw take it easy it'll def be back to normal, try this out^^^
I actually just started downloading the Chinese rom to try this...thanks for the heads up now I feel a bit more confident in this stupid idea :) just to be sure I am downloading the Redmi K40 fastboot rom from here - I can't find the development ROM for alioth otherwise; am I doing it wrong?

Reactions: m0lly.

TheBrutalLicker

Mar 23, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
Will this reproduce when flashing anything else than china fastboot rom? Or is it some particular ROMs that will bottle CPU freqs? Sound serious if true, can we actually confirm any of this?

companyja

Nov 10, 2016
I can confirm that the latest chinese ROM also has these same frequencies. The only time I was able to get the proper CPU values out of my CPU and a smooth experience is when booting a copy of 15.2.1.0 - it's not related to any app since I tried multiple apps to display CPU info, and when using the CPU throttling test, only 12.5.1.0 allows the CPU to get up to 3.2/2.5.

I tried installing LOS over 12.5.1 but it still locks to 2750/2250. Flashing over 12.5.1.0 firmware onto the LOS install also does nothing. I tried putting the 12.5.4.0 kernel (boot.img) over the 12.5.1.0 ROM to see if the kernel alone makes the difference, but aside not being able to use the network with the 12.5.4.0 kernel, the speeds are still unlocked on 12.5.1.0 with the 12.5.4.0 boot.img. It's smelling awfully like Xiaomi locked down the performance of the SD870 to increase battery life/reduce temperatures at some point between 12.5.1.0 and 12.5.4.0 (I haven't tried 12.5.2.0 yet). I remember LineageOS not having this problem when I switched to Arrow in early novermber but Arrow had it out the gate (but I decided to stick with it to try Android 12 out).

Barring some strange inconcievable problem with my device alone it seems awfully like something Apple would do backhandedly, restricting your CPU through the software just-cause. It doesn't seem like it's a kernel or a firmware change but something deeper, as flashing over both from other versions do not change this behavior - it's locked down on some level that doesn't seem as easy to unlock. I don't want to be alarming but I am at a loss right now and I'll probably use 12.5.1.0 till I can find a more sensible solution. I might try installing an old version of LineageOS later to see whether it locks the speeds down, and to try and see which version triggers the newer values.

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
I can confirm that the latest chinese ROM also has these same frequencies. The only time I was able to get the proper CPU values out of my CPU and a smooth experience is when booting a copy of 15.2.1.0 - it's not related to any app since I tried multiple apps to display CPU info, and when using the CPU throttling test, only 12.5.1.0 allows the CPU to get up to 3.2/2.5.

I tried installing LOS over 12.5.1 but it still locks to 2750/2250. Flashing over 12.5.1.0 firmware onto the LOS install also does nothing. I tried putting the 12.5.4.0 kernel (boot.img) over the 12.5.1.0 ROM to see if the kernel alone makes the difference, but aside not being able to use the network with the 12.5.4.0 kernel, the speeds are still unlocked on 12.5.1.0 with the 12.5.4.0 boot.img. It's smelling awfully like Xiaomi locked down the performance of the SD870 to increase battery life/reduce temperatures at some point between 12.5.1.0 and 12.5.4.0 (I haven't tried 12.5.2.0 yet). I remember LineageOS not having this problem when I switched to Arrow in early novermber but Arrow had it out the gate (but I decided to stick with it to try Android 12 out).

Barring some strange inconcievable problem with my device alone it seems awfully like something Apple would do backhandedly, restricting your CPU through the software just-cause. It doesn't seem like it's a kernel or a firmware change but something deeper, as flashing over both from other versions do not change this behavior - it's locked down on some level that doesn't seem as easy to unlock. I don't want to be alarming but I am at a loss right now and I'll probably use 12.5.1.0 till I can find a more sensible solution. I might try installing an old version of LineageOS later to see whether it locks the speeds down, and to try and see which version triggers the newer values.
brah those are the freqs on all roms 2750 is super normal
btw china flash was only to fix switching between freqs if they were stuck

companyja

Nov 10, 2016
I'm really happy that it's normal however for me it's causing stuttering which is obviously a problem. And either way being fine with your device being arbitrarily locked down is absolutely bizarre to me but maybe that's just me

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
I'm really happy that it's normal however for me it's causing stuttering which is obviously a problem. And either way being fine with your device being arbitrarily locked down is absolutely bizarre to me but maybe that's just me
stuttering happens on my end too but thats dynamic refresh rate and other things btw stutter happens even on stock meme

companyja

Nov 10, 2016
I'm really not sure what your specific issues are but I think I was pretty clear in my first post that the device was working smoothly till I switched to Arrow OS with Android 12, and it works smoothly on stock 12.5.1.0 for me. I'm sure a lot of ROMs stutter a lot (I haven't installed a custom ROM yet that doesn't allow you to force the refresh rate to 60/90/120 anyway) but this wasn't the case with roms such as LineageOS for me before but it seems to be now; sadly the earliest build I can download is 13/11, I wish I saved some of the old builds I had

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
I'm really not sure what your specific issues are but I think I was pretty clear in my first post that the device was working smoothly till I switched to Arrow OS with Android 12, and it works smoothly on stock 12.5.1.0 for me. I'm sure a lot of ROMs stutter a lot (I haven't installed a custom ROM yet that doesn't allow you to force the refresh rate to 60/90/120 anyway) but this wasn't the case with roms such as LineageOS for me before but it seems to be now; sadly the earliest build I can download is 13/11, I wish I saved some of the old builds I had
so you still have max freqs on 12.5.1.0?

companyja

Nov 10, 2016
Yes 12.5.1.0 has the stock frequencies; 12.5.4.0 has locked down frequencies. Haven't tried 12.5.2.0 (this is all Global ROMs)

companyja

Nov 10, 2016
After updating I can confirm 12.5.2.0 is the last known good version with the default maximum clocks. The ROM runs super smoothly and it's a joy to use, if only you could disable dynamic refresh on MIUI...

I've tried two other roms but they both had the new values. I really don't know why there is no option to boost the clocks manually via a kernel manager/different kernel, but even aside from the advertised clocks and all that this has really affected the smoothness of my F3; does anyone have an up-to-date AOSP ROM that has normal clocks? You can check with a kernel manager/downlod CPU Throttling Test and see the maximum clocks you get as soon as you press start.

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
After updating I can confirm 12.5.2.0 is the last known good version with the default maximum clocks. The ROM runs super smoothly and it's a joy to use, if only you could disable dynamic refresh on MIUI...

I've tried two other roms but they both had the new values. I really don't know why there is no option to boost the clocks manually via a kernel manager/different kernel, but even aside from the advertised clocks and all that this has really affected the smoothness of my F3; does anyone have an up-to-date AOSP ROM that has normal clocks? You can check with a kernel manager/downlod CPU Throttling Test and see the maximum clocks you get as soon as you press start.
can confirm 12.5.1.0 *tried the indian one* max freqs on all cores btw there are some thermals that do you help you get max freqs on cpu and dynamic clocks on gpu you'll have to check tg for that

erghezi

Feb 23, 2011
I also had this issue with arrow 12 and a bunch of other AOSP roms (with terrible antutu and geekbench results), but it's OK with latest version of xiaomi.eu (12.5.18.0.RKHCNXM)

Here is the antutu results. in arrow it was around 602000!

index.jpg

Last edited:

lolo9393

Dec 28, 2011
Chau Doc Vietnam
Hello,

Thanks for any answers!
Is that correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-09-16-56-07-618_skynet.cputhrottlingtest.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-09-16-56-07-618_skynet.cputhrottlingtest.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 179

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Thanks for any answers!

Hello,

Thanks for any answers!