General Snapdragon 888 vs Exynos 2100 after latest updates

Search This thread

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I know there are already a few threads for the same discussion ,
But I am making this thread for a healthy discussion on what's better between Snapdragon 888 and Exynos 2100 after the latest software updates for both models .

There are youtube reviews that are contradictory to each other

1) Mrwhosetheboss says Snapdragon is way better and Exynos is heating like crazy.
Also in camera sd>exynos

2) The tech chap on the other hand says Exynos to be faster and cooler .

Let's discuss

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I am planning to buy the s21 ultra over the OnePlus 9 pro just because I am getting it at the same price as OnePlus 9 pro ,

Also the software on OnePlus is always going to be buggy and an update to fix one issue will create more bugs .

Reactions: Prashanthme

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
But I am making this thread for a healthy discussion on what's better between Snapdragon 888 and Exynos 2100 after the latest software updates for both models .

1) Mrwhosetheboss says Snapdragon is way better and Exynos is heating like crazy.
Also in camera sd>exynos

Let's discuss

After my experience with the Exynos, I'm far more inclined to believe the Tech Chap. I've had no issues with thermal throttling, and my phone sits most of the time at between 28 and 32 degrees when being used under normal circumstances (browsing, light camera use etc). I've also run the benchmarks he ran and got pretty much the same results. I'm very happy with it.

I strongly suspect that boss geezer just had bad luck and picked up an Exynos model with a bad SOC. The difference between the two is he didn't buy another to rule that out.

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
After my experience with the Exynos, I'm far more inclined to believe the Tech Chap. I've had no issues with thermal throttling, and my phone sits most of the time at between 28 and 32 degrees when being used under normal circumstances (browsing, light camera use etc). I've also run the benchmarks he ran and got pretty much the same results. I'm very happy with it.

I strongly suspect that boss geezer just had bad luck and picked up an Exynos model with a bad SOC. The difference between the two is he didn't buy another to rule that out.
What's the ambient temperature in your area?

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Like both Youtubers in this thread, I'm in England so it's not hot at the moment.

Ambient temp makes a difference, but my experience of mobile phones in the UK over the last 25+ years, not massively so.
I live in a area where the temperatures are like 40°C for like 8 months and 10°C for 4 months ..

At 40°C ambient temps even apple iphones break their sweat and throttle.

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I live in a area where the temperatures are like 40°C for like 8 months and 10°C for 4 months ..

At 40°C ambient temps even apple iphones break their sweat and throttle.

You say even Apple iPhones but they're dogs**t when it comes to thermal dissipation, in particular the more recent ones.

All I can say is that this phone is no worse than any others I've had when it comes to thermals, and seems to be better than most of them.

babyboy3265

Sep 20, 2012
Jupiter
After I contemplated a lot, I went for it and purchased the EXYNOS version as I live in Europe and the Snapdragon seems to be Single SIM, so no point ordering it from Amazon.

Mrwhostheboss either had a faulty unit or at the time of his video, the update he put wasn't enough to fix the software issues.

Mine works fine, no overheating (gets a bit warm when doing heavier tasks, ~22c ambient room temps), no camera problems or glitches, all seems good. The camera quality is pretty fine too, although it did definitely improve further after I installed the last update. When I tested the camera out of the box, it was all weird.

Battery life for me is quite fine as well. At the time of writing this message I got SOT 1h45m and battery is at 78%. Plenty of apps installed, Dual SIMs active. AOD active.

I also have the Dr. Ketan ROM with root, AFWall and etc. So I slightly debloated the useless stuff.

I am satisfied with the EXYNOS, and although I have no way to test them next to each other, I'm sure that If the SNAP is better in some ways, it is NOT in others, like NO DUAL SIM.... And for sure if there is anything left to fix on the EXYNOS, they will fix it with the upcoming updates.

But again, if you buy an EXYNOS, make sure you do it right. Start it, install all your apps, make sure you update it to the latest firmware version and then start testing it. If it has problems, factory reset it and return it for a new one.

Good luck!!!

Reactions: eldrid

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
After I contemplated a lot, I went for it and purchased the EXYNOS version as I live in Europe and the Snapdragon seems to be Single SIM, so no point ordering it from Amazon.

Mrwhostheboss either had a faulty unit or at the time of his video, the update he put wasn't enough to fix the software issues.

Mine works fine, no overheating (gets a bit warm when doing heavier tasks, ~22c ambient room temps), no camera problems or glitches, all seems good. The camera quality is pretty fine too, although it did definitely improve further after I installed the last update. When I tested the camera out of the box, it was all weird.

Battery life for me is quite fine as well. At the time of writing this message I got SOT 1h45m and battery is at 78%. Plenty of apps installed, Dual SIMs active. AOD active.

I also have the Dr. Ketan ROM with root, AFWall and etc. So I slightly debloated the useless stuff.

I am satisfied with the EXYNOS, and although I have no way to test them next to each other, I'm sure that If the SNAP is better in some ways, it is NOT in others, like NO DUAL SIM.... And for sure if there is anything left to fix on the EXYNOS, they will fix it with the upcoming updates.

But again, if you buy an EXYNOS, make sure you do it right. Start it, install all your apps, make sure you update it to the latest firmware version and then start testing it. If it has problems, factory reset it and return it for a new one.

Good luck!!!
In india there is nothing as return ..
Once paid the device is yours till it has some major issues and they are just repaired ,

Unfortunately We cannot return it for a refund here in india 🙁.

That is why thinking twice before buying .

Berserker900

May 7, 2020
Yo bro,

Listen, avoid YouTube reviews. Bro these ppl are just benefiting from these kindda arguments and stuff.

I had the s21 ultra 512 and i sold it coz i have literally watched every single review out there and was too worried i might have been scammed or made the wrong choice.

After talking to some ppl here i bought it again and this time i made sure i cleared my search history lol and never ever to watch a thing.

It is not SD888 but it is close, it has good battery, cameras are barely any difference between them. If you game a lot you should really just buy a different phone just for gaming.

The screen is phenomenal.

Bro i live in Kuwait, temps here reach 55°....until now i have not experienced any extreme heating issues.

My advice to you, don't listen to anything, the device is amazing...yes it lacks behind the SD888 but for me it's the better pick.. i get warranty for a year and a trade on later or i can even sell it and not lose while the imported is basically non sellable here.

So weigh things out and decide, once you decide do not regret. Do not hesitate it's just a phone, if you have a slight doubt avoid it and wait for a different phone.

Goodluck.

Also in camera sd>exynos

Let's discuss

Camera has improved on the exynos with updates, personally I still feel low light video and photos are just ok, but anything in decent light is great, and I don't have anything other than a pixel 3 to compare to, so not a fair fight as the camera tech on that is old.

In regards to the video, mr whos the boss was using antutu for temperatures and it's well known that at that time it couldn't read exynos temps properly. When I had antutu, it showed around 40 degrees, but CPU monitor was around 25 degrees

I've got the exynos and had no real issues to date, battery life is sometimes great, sometime ok, but more than enough to do me from morning to night with my usage. Other than that can't complain at all

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Should wait for the xiaomi's launch today?
Camera has improved on the exynos with updates, personally I still feel low light video and photos are just ok, but anything in decent light is great, and I don't have anything other than a pixel 3 to compare to, so not a fair fight as the camera tech on that is old.

In regards to the video, mr whos the boss was using antutu for temperatures and it's well known that at that time it couldn't read exynos temps properly. When I had antutu, it showed around 40 degrees, but CPU monitor was around 25 degrees

I've got the exynos and had no real issues to date, battery life is sometimes great, sometime ok, but more than enough to do me from morning to night with my usage. Other than that can't complain at all
Yo bro,

Listen, avoid YouTube reviews. Bro these ppl are just benefiting from these kindda arguments and stuff.

I had the s21 ultra 512 and i sold it coz i have literally watched every single review out there and was too worried i might have been scammed or made the wrong choice.

After talking to some ppl here i bought it again and this time i made sure i cleared my search history lol and never ever to watch a thing.

It is not SD888 but it is close, it has good battery, cameras are barely any difference between them. If you game a lot you should really just buy a different phone just for gaming.

Bro i live in Kuwait, temps here reach 55°....until now i have not experienced any extreme heating issues.

My advice to you, don't listen to anything, the device is amazing...yes it lacks behind the SD888 but for me it's the better pick.. i get warranty for a year and a trade on later or i can even sell it and not lose while the imported is basically non sellable here.

So weigh things out and decide, once you decide do not regret. Do not hesitate it's just a phone, if you have a slight doubt avoid it and wait for a different phone.

Goodluck.

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

That temp thing with Antutu makes sense, I was worried when I first got my phone as it was listing my CPU temperature in the low 50s but then I installed CPU Monitor and it showed it was around 30 degrees. Maybe MrWhosTheBoss should have done a bit more research.

It's funny reading the comments on that video. Thousands of people talking about the S21 Ultra being rubbish on Exynos without having the first clue what they're talking about. It goes to show how a badly made video can really effect how a phone is perceived.

Last edited:
Reactions: babyboy3265

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
That temp thing with Antutu makes sense, I was worried when I first got my phone as it was listing my CPU temperature in the low 50s but then I installed CPU Monitor and it showed it was around 30 degrees. Maybe MrWhosTheBoss should have done a bit more research.

It's funny reading the comments on that video. Thousands of people talking about the S21 Ultra being rubbish on Exynos without having the first clue what they're talking about. It goes to show how a badly made video can really effect how a phone is perceived.
Exactly and there is me researching this from a week before buying it .

Also tried to stress the camera on the demo unit at a samsung store , but it was warm to touch but not at all hot ..

By the way , as OnePlus markets their 9 pro with 5 layer cooling system , how's the cooling on s21 ultra?

Exactly and there is me researching this from a week before buying it .

Also tried to stress the camera on the demo unit at a samsung store , but it was warm to touch but not at all hot ..

By the way , as OnePlus markets their 9 pro with 5 layer cooling system , how's the cooling on s21 ultra?

The Samsung is much more aggressive with its thermal throttling than the mi 11 (A good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want in a phone), don't know about the oneplus or how effective it's cooling system actually is (could just be a gimmick/branding, but I don't know).

I would say from what I've seen, s21u has better battery, genuine adaptive refresh, marginally photos cameras but much more versatile camera array, better software.

Mi11 better charging and sustained gaming

Early oneplus reviews have middling battery life, but an educated guess that they haven't enabled the variable refresh yet on the pro, as it seems to last the same amount of time as the base model.

In all honesty, if you aren't sure, wait a month or so for the 'long term' reviews, then you will get a better idea of the final product

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The Samsung is much more aggressive with its thermal throttling than the mi 11 (A good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want in a phone), don't know about the oneplus or how effective it's cooling system actually is (could just be a gimmick/branding, but I don't know).

I would say from what I've seen, s21u has better battery, genuine adaptive refresh, marginally photos cameras but much more versatile camera array, better software.

Mi11 better charging and sustained gaming

Early oneplus reviews have middling battery life, but an educated guess that they haven't enabled the variable refresh yet on the pro, as it seems to last the same amount of time as the base model.

In all honesty, if you aren't sure, wait a month or so for the 'long term' reviews, then you will get a better idea of the final product
I am getting the s21 u e2100 today .. let's hope I get a good silicon compared to what some people have got

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
I seriously have a feeling that both versions of the phone are nearly identical in performance and camera quality. The primary reason why we see so many threads regarding heat issues, app crash issues or battery issues are not necessarily due to the versions of the phone that are being used (Exynos or Snapdragon)... But instead, I think that this is mainly due to the fact that a lot of Samsung's phone sales are to people who aren't very tech friendly....at all...

I mean, think of Apple's iPhone market. What percentage of their customers are tech geniuses who know everything about complete device care and optimization? I'd say, near me in the US, maybe about 3-5% of their customers... And with that said, you have to keep in mind that Samsung is the most Apple equivalent company in sales numbers for Android devices in the US. So probably only about 1-2% of their phone customers actually know what the heck they're doing.

So (internally thought lol) truth be told, I don't think one variant is better than the other. I just think that we need to keep in mind the fact that the Samsung phone market is packed to the gills with customers who don't know much at all regarding the technology that's used or how it works/can be optimized or made better. Luckily for us on this particular thread, we probably don't run into the aforementioned issues as we're likely all people who actually know how to use, care for and optimize a damn smart phone lol.

Side note: this was a long comment, so my apologies.

*Edit* - To respond to @aj7400 without wasting more post space 😀 :
The US isn't really a particularly cold area. It's just a much bigger area. So there are certainly some states where the temperature stays cold for a while... But there are tons of other places where it stays over 23°C all year round (and a few states where it stays above 33°C all year). So overall, I still believe that these issues are just coming up due to a severe lack of knowledge =(. But the good thing for you is that you actually appear to know what the deal is, hence why you're here on XDA. Thanks for being here =). But ya see what I mean? You were aware of the slightly warmer temperature of the S21U and you were aware of the fact that you live in a hot area. Therefore, you're not constantly complaining about the phone being borked out of the box, but instead, you're looking for potential solutions. Kudos!

Last edited:

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I seriously have a feeling that both versions of the phone are nearly identical in performance and camera quality. The primary reason why we see so many threads regarding heat issues, app crash issues or battery issues are not necessarily due to the versions of the phone that are being used (Exynos or Snapdragon)... But instead, I think that this is mainly due to the fact that a lot of Samsung's phone sales are to people who aren't very tech friendly....at all...

I mean, think of Apple's iPhone market. What percentage of their customers are tech geniuses who know everything about complete device care and optimization? I'd say, near me in the US, maybe about 3-5% of their customers... And with that said, you have to keep in mind that Samsung is the most Apple equivalent company in sales numbers for Android devices in the US. So probably only about 1-2% of their phone customers actually know what the heck they're doing.

So (internally thought lol) truth be told, I don't think one variant is better than the other. I just think that we need to keep in mind the fact that the Samsung phone market is packed to the gills with customers who don't know much at all regarding the technology that's used or how it works/can be optimized or made better.

Side note: this was a long comment, so my apologies.
That's allright ,
But imo apple is from day 1 producing good chips and their optimization is top notch ,
And samsung in US is just offering Snapdragon .
That's the main reason people are not complaining about both , and they don't care what are the specs in their phone .

Also US is a relatively cold area so not much is going around throttling issues .

I live in india where highest temps reach 45°C , where the real problem of thermal throttling arise .

So I care much about these things .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know how anyone would bother getting the Exynos. It's trash. I went straight for the snapdragon and couldn't be happier.

Maybe because China and USA are not the whole world.

Also in camera sd>exynos

Let's discuss

Xiaomi and oneplus are always better in Benchmark. But i think in daily use galaxy phones are more stable .
    S21u with snapdragon 888 has almost same Performance as Exynos 2100.
    Both oneplus and xiaomi are going to 45°c or even higher .
    Whereas samsungs stays cool at 40°c.

Moreover both processors are made by samsung this time around ,
    So tbh samsung is reducing the benchmarks results of sd888 , so that people dont complain .

In general sd888 is scoring better in both geekbench and antutu as compared to e2100
    General announcement
    Versus threads have a tendency to sometime bring out bad sides of people... I've had to spend a few minutes cleaning up the thread, since language and temper was getting a bit out of hand.

Keep things civil and respectful, and there's no need for profanities or name-calling. Simple as that...

If anyone has anything to add, or any questions, my conversation inbox is always open.

Have a good day everybody.
    Didgeridoohan
    Forum Moderator/Developer Relations
    Yo bro,

Goodluck.