Snapdragon Themral Throttling [Discussion]

Search This thread

drago10029

Nov 19, 2008
Phazon Mines
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

This articles above shows that you don't always get what you paid for when you buy the newest bleeding edge tech. It's about the the thermal throttling in the Snapdragon 800 series SoC's. The good ones the bad ones and it def hows a pattern of things being worse off during the beginning of a number in the in the "x" placement ----> 8x0.

Seems like big buyers are being experimented with a bit, tisk, tisk.

Now let's discuss :D

Reactions: ast00

ast00

Apr 29, 2012
I would like to see this test redone with all SoCs undervolted as far as they will go.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I just want to add 2 things to this discussion:

1) Every mobile device will throttle at some point. This is the only way the SoC is able to manage its temperatures in a device that has zero active cooling. Either the user stops using the phone and it cools down or they continue using it and it will throttle.

2) It is the phone manufacturer's responsibility to design a phone and chassis that can support the thermal requirements of the SoC they have chosen for their device. If a phone over heats or the SoC is so throttled that it can never reach it's maximum clock speed (such as the Snapdragon 810 in the HTC M9) then the phone was designed poorly (based on the required specifications) and they should have chosen a lower power SoC.

pgptheoriginal

Mar 16, 2011
Stockholm
I can't understand what manufacturers are looking for when they pack such CPUs in their flagship phones: the speed of a SD 801 is still cutting edge, and it has been the only chip capable of combining acceptable power consumption with top performance lately.
I'm a N5 owner, and really can't complain about speed, but that is just because CPU-intensive tasks, like rendering a webpage or opening an app, often last for just a few seconds, during which the phone doesn't heat up enough for thermal throttling to intervene. I rarely play games with my phone.

If Qualcomm focussed on reducing power consumption in the last couple of years, instead of searching for overly high performances, now we'd probably have phones with the SD 800's speed, but lasting two days, and with consistent performances during every kind of usage.

tebore

Jan 31, 2010
Brampton
Damn it Qua!comm instead of jamming reference cores in to chips get cracking optimizing drivers to get more performance out of existing products. The Adreno driver overhead is embrassing.

Last edited:

treehugger38294

Jul 6, 2011
I can't understand what manufacturers are looking for when they pack such CPUs in their flagship phones: the speed of a SD 801 is still cutting edge, and it has been the only chip capable of combining acceptable power consumption with top performance lately.
I'm a N5 owner, and really can't complain about speed, but that is just because CPU-intensive tasks, like rendering a webpage or opening an app, often last for just a few seconds, during which the phone doesn't heat up enough for thermal throttling to intervene. I rarely play games with my phone.

If Qualcomm focussed on reducing power consumption in the last couple of years, instead of searching for overly high performances, now we'd probably have phones with the SD 800's speed, but lasting two days, and with consistent performances during every kind of usage.

The Exynos 7420 delivers better performance, better thermal management and better efficiency.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
thermal throttle, whats that?? ive disabled thermal throttle on every nexus thats ever had it, since the n4 :p that's the n4, n5, and now n6. but the n6 is the best at not getting hot. as i cant get it over 82C ever.

zerosum0

Feb 7, 2015
The problem is and it applies to terrible battery life is thin phones. We just do not need skinny phones. It's like women. We have been brainwashed into thinking thin phones and thin women are both sexy. I dislike women with a toastrack ribcage and would love my nexus 5 to be twice as thick. No throttling and huge battery life...

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: RossFixxed

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23
The Exynos 7420 delivers better performance, better thermal management and better efficiency.

Only because its on 14nm, if it would be built on 20nm it would throttle down just like the sd810. This isn't so much qualcomm's fault as it is arm's fault, the a53/a57 cores are simply too power hungry, the sd805 with a7/a15 cores barely gets throttled at 20nm.

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
The problem is and it applies to terrible battery life is thin phones. We just do not need skinny phones. It's like women. We have been brainwashed into thinking thin phones and thin women are both sexy. I dislike women with a toastrack ribcage and would love my nexus 5 to be twice as thick. No throttling and huge battery life...

Sent from my Nexus 5
I agree with the battery part... As for women I like a nice toned women.

opssemnik

Account currently disabled
Jun 10, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Only because its on 14nm, if it would be built on 20nm it would throttle down just like the sd810. This isn't so much qualcomm's fault as it is arm's fault, the a53/a57 cores are simply too power hungry, the sd805 with a7/a15 cores barely gets throttled at 20nm.
your post conflicts by itself lol.
Also the 805 is a krait 400(or 500 can´t remember) architeture based on the a50 (the 800/801 are a15, and the 400 is based on the a7 with some variants based on the a9). Basicly the 805 runs a proprietary cpu architeture made after the a50 one, with the armv8 instruction set.
However the 810 runs the a51/53 instruction set, with no modifications, straight from ARM.and that´s something qualcomm didnt do for a long time,and as we can see the 810 WAS rushed to the market(the whole 64bit race)
Now for the thread, talking about the 800 series (since its what we have),it seems to have a good performance-heat ratio,however we feel it on our nexus due to poor thermal design, in the case of the n4/n5 the shield used to spread the heat don´t even touch the SOC lmao.
Talking qualcomm in general, i cant understand why they still have fails, having more than 15years of experience (10+ being with their own custom cores) i would expect them to not have these issues, but they still do.Also not going back much to the past, see the snap S4 gen 1 series(i.e the krait 200 variants, USA´S S3, Nexus 4 and such), they also have hw bugs(for instance, only the first core can go to fully deep sleep), thats something i would expect for a new player, not one with 15 years of experience(to make things even worse, qualcomm has been on the ARM market pretty much since the ARM arch/instruction set came out)
Also to OP, the 615,610,410,210 are all good socs, so the YXY pattern isn´t something here
However i must remember you guys, the one to blame here after all IS qualcomm, we dont have fully documentations and technical details or for most of you(including me) fully understanding of how a cpu is made / works but the a51 / 53 cores itself are fine, one player to see its the exynos 7220 on the s6, it runs a MALI gpu(which is from ARM,) and runs a53/51 architeture with a few modifications(not to the arch itself, but to the chip, make more thermal efficient, support samsung own branded chips, modems ,etc) and it runs better than the 810.
Also what made the 810 look worse is the drivers, adreno drivers sucks (sorry for the word, but this is more of a rant), my 4 year old MALI 400MP gpu haves about the same performance as my 2013´s adreno 330 (s3 exynos 4420 + mali 400mp vs nexus 5 snap 800 + adreno 330)

Last edited:

zerosum0

Feb 7, 2015
Nothing wrong with toned. But this craze of super thin is crazy. As for batteries if some one had come out with a replacement back with a huge battery inthat sloped to the camera that clipped in to replace the other I'd of been in heaven. My Nexus is in a heavy Spiegen case and I'm always amazed how skinny it is when I take it out to clean. I prefer it in the case. Feels better built

Sent from my Nexus 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

This articles above shows that you don't always get what you paid for when you buy the newest bleeding edge tech. It's about the the thermal throttling in the Snapdragon 800 series SoC's. The good ones the bad ones and it def hows a pattern of things being worse off during the beginning of a number in the in the "x" placement ----> 8x0.

Seems like big buyers are being experimented with a bit, tisk, tisk.

Now let's discuss :D

Sent from my Nexus 5