SNS Freezing - Help identify the cause

Search This thread

xspyda

Mar 8, 2006
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this freezing issue affecting many users where the NS will not wake up from standby and requires a battery pull to rectify. As samsung or Google seem reluctant to do anything about this (or even acknowledge the problem) I wonder if we can narrow it down to what is causing the issue? If you are affected by this you will know what I am referring to without the need for further explanation.

If your NS is freezing, please copy and paste the following with your answers:

Length of ownership:
How long ago did freezing start:
Current software version:
Did you notice freezing before update:
Update method (Manual / OTA):
i9020 (SAMOLED) or i9023 (SCLCD):

Hopefully a colleciton of responses to the above might start to show a pattern so if as many of you can replay with your answers as possible we stand a better chance of narrowing this down.

note to mods: please don't move this to Q&A as with my other thread on the matter as this is not a question, more an attempt to gain more info. Thanks

Babydollll

Length of Ownership: Since Feb 25, 2011
Freezing: yes, at random times have not pinpointed what/why (necessitating a battery pull every single time :( )
Version: 2.3.1 OTA
Noticed it shortly after the update (at least twice a week) but NOT before (the OTA update)
Edit: Stock
SAMOLED
Sent from either my Nexus S, N1 or telepathically using two tin cans and some string.

Reactions: xspyda

xspyda

Mar 8, 2006
AllGamer are you on 2.3.3 or something else?

I'm hearing the issue effects all 2.3.x versions ... was there anything before this or is that what the NS released with - I can't recall from when I had mine at launch?

jitzbox

Dec 21, 2010
Bangalore
Hi,

My responses inline.

Length of ownership: 2 months
How long ago did freezing start: 1hr
Current software version: 233
Did you notice freezing before update: no
Update method (Manual / OTA): manual, on custom rom now
i9020 (SAMOLED) or i9023 (SCLCD): i9020

1 thing I noticed is that my freezing was not rectified even after puling the battery out, the only thing it responded was changing the sim card, then it took me phone registration screen and phone was fine after this even with old sim. Never encountered this problem after that.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Worsty

Feb 11, 2010
Singapore
Length of ownership: Jan 2011
How long ago did freezing start: Since Jan 2011 randomly
Current software version: 2.3.3 Cyanogen 7.0 RC4 with netarchy 1.3.0.1 CFS
Did you notice freezing before update: Yes
Update method (Manual / OTA): Manual , using custom roms

Additional comments : Personally, I think it has to do with both BLN and noLED apps and how the kernels are responding to them. BLN pro caused me more problems with the freezing as opposed to noLED so i moved back to noLED.

For me, the freezing is about once every 2-3 days and usually if i flash a non-netarchy CFS kernel. Once i'm on netarchy, it freezes less frequently. Maybe once a week and only if i overclock to 1.3 and charging at the same time. (Possible overheating problem?)

Hope my comments helps in your research. Thanks for doing this

xspyda

Mar 8, 2006
yes 2.3.3

have you guys tried wipe data + wipe cache?

I'm pretty sure that has been tried by many experiencing the problem to no avail. Seems that whatever causes the issue results in a hardware fault that neither Google or Samsung are willing to acknowledge.

I'd LOVE to hear of someone having actually fixed this problem.

Nexus712

Jan 26, 2011
New York
Length of ownership: 4 months
How long ago did freezing start: after 6 weeks
Current software version: 2.3|2.3.1|2.3.2|
Did you notice freezing before update: not sure
Update method (Manual / OTA): OTA

I bought my phone on 12/31/2010 with FW 2.3. The phone worked fine for about 6 weeks, maybe a bit less. At first I've noticed random reboot or freeze, but very very few of them. then it gradually escalated to unusable phone.

Quick summary of Samsung's service.
1.) I've send the phone for the 1st time - Samsung claims no issues found, restores phone to FW 2.3 and mails the phone back. I open a package a week later and cannot boot up the phone, the phone only displayed the while "Google" writing and a lock-pad on the bottom of the screen. After many and many retries I was able to boot up the phone but then it froze again.

2.) I've send the phone for the 2nd time - Samsung keeps the phone for a week and claims no issues found, restores phone to FW 2.3 and mails the phone back. I pick up my phone, put in my battery and the phone freezes within 5-10 minutes. So I mail it back again.

3.) I've send the phone for the 3rd time - They are evaluating I guess. I've called and some woman picked up (2nd level support here in US as i requested) very unfriendly and basically said to my face "we're evaluating your phone and you'll get your phone when you'll get it" and that she cannot do anything about this.

i will never buy a Samsung phone again.

They always reset to FW 2.3 which the phone still freezes on. Some Google guy claimed for a while that they are working on this but it seems doubtful.
here is the link:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?hl=en&tid=44db6d8e31129d4c

xspyda

Mar 8, 2006
Wow, nasty experience with Samsung by the sound of it and from what. I've read this is all too common.

I'd personally be quite satisfied with the Nexus S but I don't think I could use one daily knowing that I could run into this problem at any time with no way to resolve and be at the mercy of Samsung who seemingly don't give a damn.

From the content of this thread I'm not seeeing any pattern as I'd hoped to. Shame, I really thought we might just learn something from this and sadly the only thing I am learning is to steer clear of Samsung.

Of course this issue doesn't affect every NS owner out there but is seems those tthat are unlucky enough to experience issues are left out in the cold.

Still interested to hear of other users' experiences. Thanks to all that have contributed so far, keep your reports coming guys.

Oct 1, 2009
Cupertino
Length of ownership: Since the week of the US release
How long ago did freezing start: Roughly 2-3 weeks ago.
Current software version: 2.3.3
Did you notice freezing before update: No
Update method (Manual / OTA): OTA

I first noticed my phone randomly crash, reboot and then go to the recovery screen with the exclamation mark in the triangle. It was just sitting there when I saw it happen. Pulled the battery and booted fine.

The next day it crashed, rebooted and went into safe mode... which I had never even seen or used before. In safe mode it crashed again and rebooted and went into a crash > safe mode boot loop until I pulled the battery. Worked fine for a while and then the freezes started happening. I would go to power on the screen and nothing would happen. Pulled the batter and then it worked.

Sometimes it would freeze and the screen was just very dimly lit... sometimes I would see just the menu "buttons" lit. either way a battery pull was the only solution. Started happening more frequently... though again not if I was plugged in.

Tried full wipes a couple times including storage... even with just the standard apps installed it still would eventually freeze.

So using my Nexus One for now... I'm really not in a hurry to deal with Samsung so I've been putting off calling them. But I miss my NS in my hands...

pphmmr

Jun 23, 2007
bought in USA Bestbuy

Length of ownership: since January 2011, 4 months
How long ago did freezing start: since end of February after OTA update
Current software version: 2.3.1
Did you notice freezing before update: NO, Nexus S was working for 2 months without freezing
Update method (Manual / OTA): OTA from 2.3 to 2.3.1

My phone randomly crashed, reboot and then went to the recovery screen with the exclamation mark in the triangle.

I've tried factory reset, clear cache, format SDcard,

I've tried flash 2.3.1, 2.3.3 with Odin
I've tried nandroid recovery 2.3.3 , 2.3.1

no idea why and how to solve it

----
I just want to add that I didn't install any software and I didn't change any settings. I've just let the phone in default setting after flashing or recovering (nandroid recovery). I didn't set any google account or set wifi. And also I didn't insert any SIM card and and bootloader is locked. Still is freezing.

xspyda: yes, I tested without SIM card. Right now I haven't been using Nexus S for 2 months it is not possible to use him.

-----
edit2:

I played with this phone again, I did nandroid recovery 2.3.1 ( It is pity that we don't have nandroid backup of 2.3 ) maybe could help.

And after 3-6 restarts he got stuck in this screen and only remove battery helped.

clipboard01dr.jpg

Maybe it helps to move forward this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: xspyda

xspyda

Mar 8, 2006

This may be clutching at straws but have you tried remving the sim card also? In fact, does the freezing still occur without a sim card inserted - anyone?

I could be wrong but it appears to me that the majority of people experiencing freezing issues are doing so only after performing an update, whether that be manual or OTA. Could there be something wrong with the way Google are pushing out these updates I wonder?

I think we need more reports like these already collected and then we need to look at the possibility of passing this information on to the relevant area for investigation (I know, it's a long shot).

Thanks for all reports so far, would be great if we can keep this thead going / updated and gather as many instances of this as possible.

Mods: Any chance of making this a sticky so as to collect as much info as possible?

Please keep your reports coming!

Last edited:

mylexon20s

Jun 26, 2010
Florida
Length of ownership: since january
How long ago did freezing start: about a month or so ago
Current software version: 2.3.2 with voodoo kernel stock rom
Did you notice freezing before update: nope
Update method (Manual / OTA): manual

mylexon20s

Jun 26, 2010
Florida
Lately my phone freezes randomly. Yesterday I got a phone call, went to plug in the head set and the phone wouldn't wake up for me to turn off speaker phone, and then it just rebooted. I'm considering just wiping my phone and starting fresh. I'm starting to lose my patience with this crap

xspyda

Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for the edit / update pphmmr. From what have learned so far there is no way for us to fix this when the freezing occurs.

mylexon20s - are you talking about the same freezing issue that is described in this thread, the known issue affecting many? If so, can you please fill in the template at the beginning as other users have so we can continue to seek a pattern to this fault please?

pphmmr

Jun 23, 2007
Perfect. Done. Now it is my nexus s OK. finally.

I've just updated to 2.3.4.

I was testing it for 3 hours and still ok.

edit1:

still I can wake SNS up after 8 hours and also after 24 hrs. still OK.

How to solve the problem:

I upgraded to GRI49 ver. 2.3.3 by this zip

I copied zip file into SNS sdcard and follow next steps:
1. turn off
1. turn on + hold volume up
3. select RECOVERY
4. if you see exclamation mark in the triangle press and hold power button and after 2 sec. press volume up as well
5, choose update from sdcard
6. find zip file

then I updated again but to ver. 2.3.4 by this zip with same procedure

And then I did factory reset and I wiped cache as well.

If you have 2.3.3 GrI40 you can skip 1st procedure and just update to 2.3.4 directly.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    stock ROM
    ownership: since it came out in december
    freezing: what freeze?
    Did not notice any freeze, not before, not after
    method OTA
    i9020

same answer for custom ROMs, except for the OTA part
    Length of Ownership: Since Feb 25, 2011
    Freezing: yes, at random times have not pinpointed what/why (necessitating a battery pull every single time :( )
    Version: 2.3.1 OTA
    Noticed it shortly after the update (at least twice a week) but NOT before (the OTA update)
    Edit: Stock
    SAMOLED
    Sent from either my Nexus S, N1 or telepathically using two tin cans and some string.
    bought in USA Bestbuy

Length of ownership: since January 2011, 4 months
    How long ago did freezing start: since end of February after OTA update
    Current software version: 2.3.1
    Did you notice freezing before update: NO, Nexus S was working for 2 months without freezing
    Update method (Manual / OTA): OTA from 2.3 to 2.3.1

My phone randomly crashed, reboot and then went to the recovery screen with the exclamation mark in the triangle.

----
    I just want to add that I didn't install any software and I didn't change any settings. I've just let the phone in default setting after flashing or recovering (nandroid recovery). I didn't set any google account or set wifi. And also I didn't insert any SIM card and and bootloader is locked. Still is freezing.

xspyda: yes, I tested without SIM card. Right now I haven't been using Nexus S for 2 months it is not possible to use him.

-----
    edit2:

I played with this phone again, I did nandroid recovery 2.3.1 ( It is pity that we don't have nandroid backup of 2.3 ) maybe could help.

And after 3-6 restarts he got stuck in this screen and only remove battery helped.

clipboard01dr.jpg

Maybe it helps to move forward this issue.