SnuG Watch Bands Bumper/Strap Review

Search This thread
Disclaimer: I do not represent the company in any other manner then as a customer. I received the product for free as explained below.

I'd like to begin by explaining how I came to receive the products I'm reviewing. I read a post on these forums (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2973627) which mentioned these new bumpers. After browsing www.funwatchbands.com I added some bumpers to my cart. However I never completed the purchase as shipping from the USA to the UK was a rather steep $18! I made comment about the shipping in the same thread. Not long after I received an email from the guys at SnuG containing a discount code which essentially meant all I paid for was the $18 shipping and the product was free. So I thought what the hell and ordered a black and a purple bumper on 16th December.

A few days later SnuG replied to the above thread acknowledging the issue with international shipping. They also added that they had thrown in a few 'extras'! Festive spirit a plenty! The items shipped on the 23rd December and I eagerly awaited what surprises the parcel would contain!

Today, 28th December I found out. The guys at SnuG can only be described as AWESOME! I ordered two bumpers and received 7 of various colour. Not content with that, they also threw in a complete black strap with clasp AND an additional blue, purple and red strap! I was genuinely shocked at the generosity. So thanks to all the guys at SnuG for extending the festivities of this time of year for me!

I'd like to just take a moment to point out a few things here. When unknown companies or representatives take time to interact with consumers on forums and social media it always puts my mind at ease about any thoughts of legitimacy. Kudos to SnuG.

Secondly it's good to see that they have acknowledged the issue with shipping costs and are looking at ways of reducing.

Moving on to the products then...

Quick word on packaging. Minimalistic and environmentally friendly just about covers it. The items came in a long brown envelope which looks like its made from recycled material. Aside from the products inside, there was a letter again printed on recycled paper and a small round 'insert' for one of the bumpers.

I personally like this type of packaging. Less mess and no fuss.

The letter detailed a brief few paragraphs about the products, their development and their future development. I get the impression from SnuG that they care a great deal about their products and how they are received, as it went on to say that although they are happy with the current version, they feel it can be improved and as such, they expect a new version to be available January 2015.

They kindly included a discount code to be used in January for a free new improved version. Cheers!

I'll begin by talking about the bumpers. Installation is pretty easy and self explanatory. I found that lining up the button hole and stretching the bumper on was the best method after a few attempts.

Fitment is pretty good. The bumper is a good fit in terms of coverage and the cut outs are spot on, however I do feel that one area it could be improved is in it's attachment. It can be 'accidentally' removed i.e. by coat cuff if caught. It's not enough of an issue to avoid purchasing but it may be worth waiting to see what January's version improves.

The material is a silicone and its a real decent quality. Feels hard wearing but smooth to the touch. Its just pliable enough that its not too loose, especially after installation. Like most silicone though, it does pick up dust and lint (from hands in coat pocket) but does brush off fairly easy. Seems to affect the black colour more then the others but that's probably because it shows up more.

Addressing protection, it raises a couple millimetres above the screen and offers a good knocks and bumps protection to the 360 body and to a degree, may deflect some potential screen damage - though that is obviously not its main intention. What its intended for, it does well. Silicone cases are as old as smartphones and are still a top choice for most. So this is tried and trusted really.

Colour options available give a good selection for consumer. If I had one negative to say about options, I'd say some of the naming of the colours is a bit misleading. "Chrome Black" doesn't make a whole lot of sense given its simply a matte black bumper. The colours themselves though, are bright and vibrant.

The only issue I experienced with the bumpers was 1 of 7 did not have the cut outs. It looks as though the cuts just didn't go completely through. Nothing a knife couldn't sort out though.

The only other bumper I've tried is a 3D printed plastic one from Shapeways which was truly awful. In comparison, these silicone bumpers from SnuG are on a completely different playing field where quality is concerned. And to be honest, I feel silicone is a far superior material to use for this purpose then plastic.

In summary, I've no real complaints with the bumpers other then the aforementioned room for improvement where attachment (hold) is concerned. I would certainly recommend SnuG bumpers IF shipping suits your pocket. On price, I'd have to be honest and say that at $29.99 for a pack of six bumpers is probably a little too much. I can see where they have come to that price, at $5 each it doesn't seem too bad, but for a multi pack $19.99 may have been more appealing. I'm sure if sales and interest in the products takes off, pricing will go down in time. However, considering there is very little competition out there so...

Moving on to the straps. At a good 5-6mm (which is about the same as the stock leather) thick they feel real solid. Again the silicone is high quality, smooth and rugged. The company logo is engraved into the silicone on each strap closest to watch body end - it's well placed, well done.

Installation was a cinch. If you've ever changed a watch strap, you'll have no issue here. Pop out the spring loaded pins, re-insert. Done. I had to cut a good CM off for a comfortable fit and I have average-to-slim wrists. With a few adjustment holes on the clasp too, you get a good range of size options which will cover larger wrist sizes too.

It's been pretty cold here in the UK so can't yet really comment on sweat resistance! However I can say that they feel really comfortable to wear. Having bought a cheap deployment clasp off Amazon previously and whilst it was functional, it was cheap quality I'm happy to report that the ones used by SnuG are of a high quality. You don't feel it there when worn. It springs open nicely when the buttons are pressed. It doesn't rattle at all when closed and feels secure and solid.

Quite honestly, I've not got a bad word to say about the straps. I can't see them having any detrimental effect on the watch back or contributing to cracked back. They slot in as well as the stock leather as unlike metal bands, you've no links to deal with here.

Again range of colours is plenty and I love that you can mix and match colours to suit your requirements. Add a bumper and your options for colour customisation are plenty! The straps do not detract from the elegance of the 360 thanks mainly to the quality of the silicone and clasp. This is a solid and sound product made with care, quality and pride.

I can only highly recommend these SnuG products. The silicone straps are a great alternative to metal and leather which may appeal more to fitness and sports persons, but not limited to. The range of colour customisation is universally appealing.

834f5695abbc73f98e00dd0261d21b59.jpg

I get a really good feeling from SnuG, putting aside the freebies (genuinely), they seem like a sound, modern and professional outfit that listen to feedback and respond.

The products they produce are top quality and I would not hesitate to purchase from them again in future.

See the link below for a whole host of photos I took of the products I received.

Thanks for reading.

http://imgur.com/a/ETrra

Edit: just noticed SnuG have reduced shipping cost to $8 globally. Great news! Also use XDADEVELOPERS at checkout for 10% off (until 7th January).

Last edited:

alexthetech

Nov 8, 2014
I just got mine.. Found it on eBay.. Wish I had found the site first.. But I love mine.. Can't wait to see the next version of the bumper..

Reactions: Chris_c81

B1gC72

Feb 2, 2008
Maryland
Wow! Thank you so much for the feedback and taking the time to write such a detailed review. We really appreciate it. We can't wait to share the updated protectors with you all very soon.
Are you guys able to say what will be different about the updated version? This is exactly what I've been looking for my 360. I got one of the 3D printed covers from shapeways a while back but it ended up falling off and getting lost (it was better concept than execution anyway). These look much better but I'm curious if you guys have found a solution to the bumpers being pulled off (maybe some kind of lip that grips the bottom). I appreciate in advance any reply!

EDIT: just realized you're handing out codes for the updated protectors. I'm buying a set now then!

Last edited:

JudgeDredd67

Dec 24, 2006
Here, always here
Ordered mine on the 2nd didn't ship till the 6th and now I know why the USPS is broke. It left LA to go to Springfield, MA when I live in Missouri. Yup, that's how I would have done it. LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-09-06-27-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-09-06-27-39.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 1,255

Orito

Jul 16, 2012
Topeka
Great review. +1

Would also be interested in their steel bands for Moto 360. They look "okay" at best, but the connector to the Moto 360 itself in regards to the back cracking is what I'm curious about.

Are you guys able to say what will be different about the updated version? This is exactly what I've been looking for my 360. I got one of the 3D printed covers from shapeways a while back but it ended up falling off and getting lost (it was better concept than execution anyway). These look much better but I'm curious if you guys have found a solution to the bumpers being pulled off (maybe some kind of lip that grips the bottom). I appreciate in advance any reply!

EDIT: just realized you're handing out codes for the updated protectors. I'm buying a set now then!
Their Facebook page recently updated a status with some details. Basically the only change is a more "snug" fit. Which to be honest, is all it really needs. The current version is far too easily removed by accident.

FunWatchbands

Dec 24, 2014
Updated Protectors

Hey All,
Thanks for the continued support. A sample from a new mold was approved and we hope to have them ready to ship by about the 20th and will be updating the site shortly to take preorders.
The feedback was used to make some very minor changes that will make a big difference.
The material on the inside of the protector is no longer as slippery feeling as the material on the outside which helps the protector stay on much better.
The lip that wraps around the watchface was slightly reduced to give a less bulky appearance.
The inside depth was also increased slightly to allow the lower lip to better wrap under the ridge on the watch.

We put the sample to the test on our 360 and pulled our arm in and out of a tight shirt sleeve several times and it doesn't budge. We can't wait to share them with you!

We will also be introducing some new options to the 6 colors we already offer in the upcoming weeks.

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
Hey All,
Thanks for the continued support. A sample from a new mold was approved and we hope to have them ready to ship by about the 20th and will be updating the site shortly to take preorders.
The feedback was used to make some very minor changes that will make a big difference.
The material on the inside of the protector is no longer as slippery feeling as the material on the outside which helps the protector stay on much better.
The lip that wraps around the watchface was slightly reduced to give a less bulky appearance.
The inside depth was also increased slightly to allow the lower lip to better wrap under the ridge on the watch.

We put the sample to the test on our 360 and pulled our arm in and out of a tight shirt sleeve several times and it doesn't budge. We can't wait to share them with you!

We will also be introducing some new options to the 6 colors we already offer in the upcoming weeks.

Awesome! And those of us who purchased the original versions will be receiving the updated styles for free, right? How soon should we expect them?

In an update to my review, I just wanted to add my extended experience with the products.

To be brutally honest, I'm not rocking the bumpers currently. Basically I was finding that too often for my liking, the bumper was getting accidentally knocked off. It's less of an issue when wearing baggier sleeve clothing but with tight cuff clothing it is a bit of a nuisance. Couple of times I hadn't noticed immediately that the bumper was gone.

This takes nothing away from the look, feel and quality of the product though.

Thankfully, I firmly believe the guys at SnuG will have sorted this. It seems like something that could be rectified relatively easy with some design changes. From what SnuG have said here, they appear to be addressing it.

The straps, I'm still rocking however! I've not yet returned to the leather. I can't see that changing anytime soon.
Awesome! And those of us who purchased the original versions will be receiving the updated styles for free, right? How soon should we expect them?
Don't know if it applied across the board, but I certainly received a printed note with my delivery which gave me a discount code to apply at checkout to get the new protectors free when they launch.

JudgeDredd67

Dec 24, 2006
Here, always here
Got mine last Friday after the mail man took it half way round the world and back. I have not used the band yet but it seems very well made and has a good feel. As I purchased mainly for the protector and as much as I love the look and feel of it, there is no way it was going to stay on even without sleeves. I spent a lot of time chasing it down. I even tried using some narrow pieces of 2 way tape but with the material being silicon it improves it staying on just slightly. I did get the same card for the new version so I will be giving the 2.0 version a spin and hopefully can report back with good results.

FunWatchbands

Dec 24, 2014
New protectors

Anybody who ordered protectors, or a band that came with one from funwatchbands.com should have gotten information on how to get a updated replacement (If you got a protector for free / as an extra gift we can not replace it).

We are very excited to start shipping them out next week!

Next week we will also announce and start offering a new protector style option made from the updated mold with more to follow.

ANYBODY WHO PREORDERS A WATCHBAND SET OR PACK OF PROTECTORS BETWEEN NOW AND 1/19/15 WILL GET THIS NEW PROTECTOR CASE WITH THEIR ORDER FOR FREE! (no code to enter):cowboy:

doghous

Sep 17, 2010
Amsterdam
www.vwclub.gr
I Just ordered mine from funwatchbands.com (1x "Chrome Black" SnuG watch band SET for Moto 360).
I hope that I will receive the new protector! :)
I really want to protect "my precious", I accidentally did a small scratch on it yesterday and I was soooooo annoyed :( :mad:

JudgeDredd67

Dec 24, 2006
Here, always here
Got the updated protector today and it is a wonderful improvement. I would also like to say that this company ROCKS. They are more than plesent to deal with and I will be purchasing more from them in the near future. Now I know everyone would like to know what's up so I took some pictures and will share them here. Now keep in mind that I am not using the Snug band yet because my main interest was in the protector. But the band is quality built and has a very good look and feel. I however have a cheep-o Casio band that I picked up for like 8 bucks. I like the styling of it even though it's cheep. I had to do a little trimming to get it to work but I am satisfied with the results.

Now on to the pictures of the protector portion of my purchas. As most know version 1 was prone to slipping off. They seem to have fixed this in version 2. The inside seems to have a better grippy feel. It fits tighter and almost seems to click in place around the back side of the watch. The surface of the protector has that same nice soft feel as the band and I really like the look and the protection it should give. The edge is less raised than the last version but still sits slightly above the face. Wonderful product with wonderful service from the folks at FunWatchBands.com

port-glen

Jan 29, 2015
Protectors are rubbish - don't waste your money

I tried version 2 of the bumper protector yesterday and it fell off as soon as I put my jacket on.
No improvement on version 1 in my opinion and I will not be using the bumper as it will probably just fall off.

Not suitable for purpose and Snug watchbands are ripping people off by selling this crap!

JudgeDredd67

Dec 24, 2006
Here, always here
I put it on yesterday and have been at work for 4 hours today ( it is required by my job that I wear long sleeves ) I have been checking my watch regularly to check how the bumper is staying in place and as far as I can tell it hasn't moved since I installed it.

Not saying that someone else might not have the same experience, but so far it’s a winner for me.

pookeee

Mar 19, 2008
Sunrise, FL
I made the recent purchase as well. And unfortunately my experience isn't so good. But with all due respect i just haven't reached out to the Snug Watch people to see if i got a bad batch. So I ordered a set of two protectors the red and the black. And as a really nice gift they added an extra protector free of charge.BUT!!!! my set of protectors just do not stay on my watch. Now its been freezing here in florida lately lol so ive been wearing a jacket and plenty of times i look at the face of the watch and the protector is gone. Ive tried all three just in case one was defective but i have the problem on all three protectors.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I do not represent the company in any other manner then as a customer. I received the product for free as explained below.

I'd like to begin by explaining how I came to receive the products I'm reviewing. I read a post on these forums (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2973627) which mentioned these new bumpers. After browsing www.funwatchbands.com I added some bumpers to my cart. However I never completed the purchase as shipping from the USA to the UK was a rather steep $18! I made comment about the shipping in the same thread. Not long after I received an email from the guys at SnuG containing a discount code which essentially meant all I paid for was the $18 shipping and the product was free. So I thought what the hell and ordered a black and a purple bumper on 16th December.

A few days later SnuG replied to the above thread acknowledging the issue with international shipping. They also added that they had thrown in a few 'extras'! Festive spirit a plenty! The items shipped on the 23rd December and I eagerly awaited what surprises the parcel would contain!

Today, 28th December I found out. The guys at SnuG can only be described as AWESOME! I ordered two bumpers and received 7 of various colour. Not content with that, they also threw in a complete black strap with clasp AND an additional blue, purple and red strap! I was genuinely shocked at the generosity. So thanks to all the guys at SnuG for extending the festivities of this time of year for me!

I'd like to just take a moment to point out a few things here. When unknown companies or representatives take time to interact with consumers on forums and social media it always puts my mind at ease about any thoughts of legitimacy. Kudos to SnuG.

Secondly it's good to see that they have acknowledged the issue with shipping costs and are looking at ways of reducing.

Moving on to the products then...

Quick word on packaging. Minimalistic and environmentally friendly just about covers it. The items came in a long brown envelope which looks like its made from recycled material. Aside from the products inside, there was a letter again printed on recycled paper and a small round 'insert' for one of the bumpers.

I personally like this type of packaging. Less mess and no fuss.

The letter detailed a brief few paragraphs about the products, their development and their future development. I get the impression from SnuG that they care a great deal about their products and how they are received, as it went on to say that although they are happy with the current version, they feel it can be improved and as such, they expect a new version to be available January 2015.

They kindly included a discount code to be used in January for a free new improved version. Cheers!

I'll begin by talking about the bumpers. Installation is pretty easy and self explanatory. I found that lining up the button hole and stretching the bumper on was the best method after a few attempts.

Fitment is pretty good. The bumper is a good fit in terms of coverage and the cut outs are spot on, however I do feel that one area it could be improved is in it's attachment. It can be 'accidentally' removed i.e. by coat cuff if caught. It's not enough of an issue to avoid purchasing but it may be worth waiting to see what January's version improves.

The material is a silicone and its a real decent quality. Feels hard wearing but smooth to the touch. Its just pliable enough that its not too loose, especially after installation. Like most silicone though, it does pick up dust and lint (from hands in coat pocket) but does brush off fairly easy. Seems to affect the black colour more then the others but that's probably because it shows up more.

Addressing protection, it raises a couple millimetres above the screen and offers a good knocks and bumps protection to the 360 body and to a degree, may deflect some potential screen damage - though that is obviously not its main intention. What its intended for, it does well. Silicone cases are as old as smartphones and are still a top choice for most. So this is tried and trusted really.

Colour options available give a good selection for consumer. If I had one negative to say about options, I'd say some of the naming of the colours is a bit misleading. "Chrome Black" doesn't make a whole lot of sense given its simply a matte black bumper. The colours themselves though, are bright and vibrant.

The only issue I experienced with the bumpers was 1 of 7 did not have the cut outs. It looks as though the cuts just didn't go completely through. Nothing a knife couldn't sort out though.

The only other bumper I've tried is a 3D printed plastic one from Shapeways which was truly awful. In comparison, these silicone bumpers from SnuG are on a completely different playing field where quality is concerned. And to be honest, I feel silicone is a far superior material to use for this purpose then plastic.

In summary, I've no real complaints with the bumpers other then the aforementioned room for improvement where attachment (hold) is concerned. I would certainly recommend SnuG bumpers IF shipping suits your pocket. On price, I'd have to be honest and say that at $29.99 for a pack of six bumpers is probably a little too much. I can see where they have come to that price, at $5 each it doesn't seem too bad, but for a multi pack $19.99 may have been more appealing. I'm sure if sales and interest in the products takes off, pricing will go down in time. However, considering there is very little competition out there so...

Moving on to the straps. At a good 5-6mm (which is about the same as the stock leather) thick they feel real solid. Again the silicone is high quality, smooth and rugged. The company logo is engraved into the silicone on each strap closest to watch body end - it's well placed, well done.

Installation was a cinch. If you've ever changed a watch strap, you'll have no issue here. Pop out the spring loaded pins, re-insert. Done. I had to cut a good CM off for a comfortable fit and I have average-to-slim wrists. With a few adjustment holes on the clasp too, you get a good range of size options which will cover larger wrist sizes too.

It's been pretty cold here in the UK so can't yet really comment on sweat resistance! However I can say that they feel really comfortable to wear. Having bought a cheap deployment clasp off Amazon previously and whilst it was functional, it was cheap quality I'm happy to report that the ones used by SnuG are of a high quality. You don't feel it there when worn. It springs open nicely when the buttons are pressed. It doesn't rattle at all when closed and feels secure and solid.

Quite honestly, I've not got a bad word to say about the straps. I can't see them having any detrimental effect on the watch back or contributing to cracked back. They slot in as well as the stock leather as unlike metal bands, you've no links to deal with here.

Again range of colours is plenty and I love that you can mix and match colours to suit your requirements. Add a bumper and your options for colour customisation are plenty! The straps do not detract from the elegance of the 360 thanks mainly to the quality of the silicone and clasp. This is a solid and sound product made with care, quality and pride.

I can only highly recommend these SnuG products. The silicone straps are a great alternative to metal and leather which may appeal more to fitness and sports persons, but not limited to. The range of colour customisation is universally appealing.

834f5695abbc73f98e00dd0261d21b59.jpg

I get a really good feeling from SnuG, putting aside the freebies (genuinely), they seem like a sound, modern and professional outfit that listen to feedback and respond.

The products they produce are top quality and I would not hesitate to purchase from them again in future.

See the link below for a whole host of photos I took of the products I received.

Thanks for reading.

http://imgur.com/a/ETrra

Edit: just noticed SnuG have reduced shipping cost to $8 globally. Great news! Also use XDADEVELOPERS at checkout for 10% off (until 7th January).
    THANK YOU!

Wow! Thank you so much for the feedback and taking the time to write such a detailed review. We really appreciate it. We can't wait to share the updated protectors with you all very soon.
    In an update to my review, I just wanted to add my extended experience with the products.

To be brutally honest, I'm not rocking the bumpers currently. Basically I was finding that too often for my liking, the bumper was getting accidentally knocked off. It's less of an issue when wearing baggier sleeve clothing but with tight cuff clothing it is a bit of a nuisance. Couple of times I hadn't noticed immediately that the bumper was gone.

This takes nothing away from the look, feel and quality of the product though.

Thankfully, I firmly believe the guys at SnuG will have sorted this. It seems like something that could be rectified relatively easy with some design changes. From what SnuG have said here, they appear to be addressing it.

The straps, I'm still rocking however! I've not yet returned to the leather. I can't see that changing anytime soon.
    Don't know if it applied across the board, but I certainly received a printed note with my delivery which gave me a discount code to apply at checkout to get the new protectors free when they launch.

Updated Protectors

Hey All,