• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

so-called GSM unlocked Sprint LG V40 from ebay loops in network activation forever

Search This thread

shng

Jul 25, 2015
I got a so-called "GSM-unlocked Sprint LG V40" from ebay, and I received it a week ago. when I powered up the phone the first time without a SIM card, it went directly with an "Activate your device Please wait while we activate your device for network service." message on the screen, and I had to wait for about 10 minutes for it to finish before I could do anything with the phone. I thought that was OK, since it did not have a SIM crad, and probably it's just some initialization thing. I then put a SIM card in the phone and did some tests, it appeared to be fine. A few days later, I had to restart the phone, and with a SIM card in the phone, the "Activate your device Please wait..." thing after the phone was powered up would take almost forever to finish. And when that "Network Activation" thing is on, the phone is pretty much locked and I could not do anything with it. What's worse is the "Network Activation" process is not only run immediately after powering up, it would come up every 1-2 hour, and each time it would take a few hours to finally give up with a message saying "Activation incomplete." I've seen it just went to the "Activation" loop indefinitely in the last few days. I've tried with WIFI ON or OFF, 4G LTE data On or Off, but nothing helps and the "Activation" loop just continues forever. As an example, I restarted the phone at 11:10am this morning, the "Activation" thing took 2.5 hours to complete (see attached picture). It started again in a little over an hour before I went out for a walk, and when I came back an hour later, the "Activation" thing was still on.

I contacted the seller, and he claimed that the "unlocked" Sprint V40 "unfortunately" has this problem--good for him to acknowledge that after I found it the hard way...he did not disclose this nasty problem at all on ebay. I can return the phone, but then I'll end up losing more than $50 for shipping+import tax.

Does anyone know if there's anyway to stop that "Network Activation" from running? Will paying someone to have the bootloader unlocked and change the ROM help?

Thanks

hDNMrGd.png

dr.guru

Nov 24, 2017
I have also a sprint unlocked V40 and i have the same message each time I reboot my phone but it disappears just after 1 or 2 minutes
maybe there is a way to unistall this checking thing by ADB I would be interested too if someone can help with is

nyttliv7

Dec 27, 2010
Dallas Fort Worth
Package Disabler Pro

Install Package Disabler Pro and disable all Sprint stuff. I'm not sure, but I think it's the Carrier Setup Wizard (com.sprint.psdg.sw) that you experience right now...

jass65

Dec 21, 2014
bought mine sprint gsm unlocked as well from ebay. That screen only comes up after every reboot and only took 2 minutes at most to go away.I found there's no way to disable it.I used package disable to shut down anything sprint related and even the carrier wizard/set packages.Nothing worked.So i just converted it to US open FW and now it's gone as well as sprint's other garbage plus you get pie

shng

Jul 25, 2015
Install Package Disabler Pro and disable all Sprint stuff. I'm not sure, but I think it's the Carrier Setup Wizard (com.sprint.psdg.sw) that you experience right now...

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it doesn't work, but it does help in shortening the annoying activation time in a great deal: Before trying your suggestion, I did a factory reset first, and that dramatically cut down the bootup activation time from a few hours to a little over 5min. I then followed your suggestion and installed the latest version v1.6 Package Disabler Pro for LG. At first, I just disabled Carrier Setup Wizard, but that did not help. So, I disabled all sprint crap except the one that could not be disabled via Package Disabler Pro but still no luck. However, with most Sprint crap disabled, I finally managed to have the annoying bootup activation time shortened to about 1min45sec. For those of you saying the bootup activation only took 1 to 2 minutes, I guess whoever sold you the phone might have already disabled those Sprint crap before you bought the phone.

So, it looks like this annoying "Activation" thing may not be from the Sprint crap, or perhaps it's caused by that one sprint package which could not be disabled (see pic). No matter what, I think whatever program behind it is pretty buggy.

2vAkaAV.png

rpaiu9Y.png

Last edited:

shng

Jul 25, 2015
bought mine sprint gsm unlocked as well from ebay. That screen only comes up after every reboot and only took 2 minutes at most to go away.I found there's no way to disable it.I used package disable to shut down anything sprint related and even the carrier wizard/set packages.Nothing worked.So i just converted it to US open FW and now it's gone as well as sprint's other garbage plus you get pie

As I originally thought, that annoying activation screen could only be removed by replacing the sprint ROM. Did you pay someone to replace the FW, or did you do it yourself? I appreciate if you can point me to a DIY instruction. I prefer doing this myself. Thanks.

shng

Jul 25, 2015
So, it looks like this annoying "Activation" thing may not be from the Sprint crap, or perhaps it's caused by that one sprint package which could not be disabled (see pic).
2vAkaAV.png
Sure enough that one package/service Sprint Android Requirements which could not be disabled by Package Disabler Pro is the one responsible for the after-boot activation screen. I've found a few posts about bloatware on some very old LG devices such as G2 all point to Sprint Android Requirements as responsible for the Activation thing:

Sprint Android Requirements - Removing prevents Activation app from working, Can be removed if you removed SSA activation app

But Sprint Android Requirements cannot be disabled via Package Disabler Pro, I guess one other way is to root and then remove Sprint Android Requirements altogether.

shng

Jul 25, 2015
What about uninstall Sprint Android Requirements with adb?
I don't know. Package Disabler Pro runs on the device, and Sprint Android Requirements is probably installed on the system partition, so without ROOT it could not be disabled. Using adb should do it.

I have ADB environment on my old NB for my old mobile phones, but the NB's mother board is dead. I'll need to set up the environment on the current NB I'm using. I'll give adb a try and report back.

Last edited:

shng

Jul 25, 2015
adb doesn't recognize V40

I'm not able to get adb to work with V40. At first I just grabbed an adb installation someone posted here on xda, but that did not work. I figured it's probably too old, so I downloaded from Android developer site the latest Android SDK Platform Tools v.29 and installed adb&fastboot etc. from there. That still didn't work--adb&fastboot just couldn't recognize V40. I've tried with two non-LG older phones and they all connected to adb swiftly. So I did a factory reset again to V40, but there's still no luck with adb after that. I've tried both File transfer and Photo transfer on V40 USB connection, but neither worked. I'm stuck for now.
【update】Just found out that in order to have LG devices make USB connections to PC painlessly, it's necessary to install LG USB driver on PC for the particular LG device.

Last edited:

shng

Jul 25, 2015
adb disabled all sprint crap but still no luck

I finally managed to make V40 connect with adb and use adb shell command to disable all sprint packages/services, but that annoying boot activation still comes up on every reboot. It's driving me nuts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_190718-3.png
    Screenshot_190718-3.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 203

shng

Jul 25, 2015
Uninstall "com.sprint.psdg.sw" too...
Worth trying :)
Yeah that's something I was going to try next anyway. So I tried, and guess what--not only there was no luck still, but also now the bootup activation reverts back to seemingly forever. Waited for almost half an hour until it finished and then factory reset. I guess I'll just try disabling some of the non-sprint services.

nyttliv7

Dec 27, 2010
Dallas Fort Worth
Octoplus

Yeah that's something I was going to try next anyway. So I tried, and guess what--not only there was no luck still, but also now the bootup activation reverts back to seemingly forever. Waited for almost half an hour until it finished and then factory reset. I guess I'll just try disabling some of the non-sprint services.

If nothing else works, you can always unlock bootloader, root and flash pie... It will cost you a few $, but definitely worth it :)

shng

Jul 25, 2015
Octoplus or Vlad? I'm confused

If nothing else works, you can always unlock bootloader, root and flash pie... It will cost you a few $, but definitely worth it :)

Did you have octoplus or someone else (Vlad?) unlock your v40's bootloader & flash PIE? I saw on another thread you talked to Android4Lif back and forth on waiting for the service and paying for it etc. You recommend octoplus, but Android4Lif uses Vlad, and he's now complaining Vlad bricked his phone. So I'm confused--which one did you go for the service?

I'd really prefer doing this sort of things myself unless there is no other way but paying someone else to do it. Back in the old days, HTC devices have tons of free information&guides available for unlocking bootloader/falshing ROMs. And I've always done unlocking/ROOT/falshing myself on my old phones. I guess the landscape has changed in the last couple of years since I bought my last mobile phone before the recent purchase of a V40--those who have knowledge on unlocking are unwilling to share now.

Last edited:

motogvasyag

Apr 4, 2017
Did you have octoplus or someone else (Vlad?) unlock your v40's bootloader & flash PIE? I saw on another thread you talked to Android4Lif back and forth on waiting for the service and paying for it etc. You recommend octoplus, but Android4Lif uses Vlad, and he's now complaining Vlad bricked his phone. So I'm confused--which one did you go for the service?

I'd really prefer doing this sort of things myself unless there is no other way but paying someone else to do it. Back in the old days, HTC devices have tons of free information&guides available for unlocking bootloader/falshing ROMs. And I've always done unlocking/ROOT/falshing myself on my old phones. I guess the landscape has changed in the last couple of years since I bought my last mobile phone before the recent purchase of a V40--those who have knowledge on unlocking are unwilling to share now.

Hey guys, I can flash the firmware from V405QA instead of the sprint and it will be clean, without sprint applications, and this is 9 android.

Flashing 9 does not have to unload the bootloader, but I can do it.
The firmware will take 20-25 minutes.
And I will not make your device a brick, I have already flashed a lot of these phones and I know all the nuances

Reactions: Neekeet and Kal84

charlietruong

Nov 17, 2006
Hey guys, I can flash the firmware from V405QA instead of the sprint and it will be clean, without sprint applications, and this is 9 android.

And I will not make your device a brick, I have already flashed a lot of these phones and I know all the nuances

Hello motogvasyag, How do you flash 9, and how much you charge?

Kal84

Apr 11, 2017

hi bro V405QA is a version unlock sim because have a sprint version locked

La-ardilla

Mar 6, 2019
Try this:

When the "activacion mode" appears press emergency call - Turn off Wifi - Go Settings - Network and Internet - Mobile networks - Network mode - and here change automatic to LTE/CDMA.

Sometimes works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

hi bro V405QA is a version unlock sim because have a sprint version locked

If you haven't unlocked the SIM with sprint yet then all that updating to Use unlocked Pie would do is unlock apn settings...nothing more..you need to unlock first if you want to use a different carrier