• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

So I baked my G3 in the oven...

Search This thread

Aimless Rambler

Mar 9, 2012
it's been a while since you have posted your comment, but did you try to reflow your phone? mine has a problem with the SIM card and i tried every other solution except for this.
not sure if i should try this and risk damaging a phone that could otherwise be used for multimedia purposes.

I picked up a couple fixer upper LG G3's listed in local classifieds over the last month to tinker with. One I found for 25 bucks with the infamous screen flicker issue. 35 bucks for the other which had a toasted Sim and SD card reader. I swapped out motherboards, thinking the flicker was related to the LCD and I'd have at least one good device.

Long story short, both phones now work. I think for the most part the screen flicker was related to the connection ribbons themselves. By simply disconnecting and reconnecting them it corrected the problem. Whether it was due to loose connections or some other strange phenomena, it worked and has for over two weeks now. With a 3 day weekend to keep myself occupied I applied my Google skills in an attempt to fix the second board. I came across several threads which discussed baking motherboards, so with nothing to loose I tried it on the SD/Sim card problem board.

I removed the motherboard, made a tin foil rack out of bamboo skewers to lift it off the surface, placed it on a cookie sheet in an oven preheated to 350 f degrees. Baked for 8 minutes (350 f for 4 minutes, turned up heat to 380 f for the remaining 4 minutes). Took it out and let it set for 15 minutes. Two days later ... Still functioning.

I'm now monitoring thermal temperatures, as per other threads espousing the wonders of heat sinks. On average both boards' CPU's run between 100-120 f (no modifications) with normal use. Though I'm not sure what the normal temp should be, by comparison my Droid Turbo under similar conditions runs about 20 degrees cooler. I don't know if the issues the LG boards had were related to overheating or to the flex ribbons ... or a combination of the two ... but baking did seem to cure the Sim and SD card issue, as the pins weren't bent or dirty to begin with. Wife thinks I'm a freak but hey, live and learn.

Update: Three days later, still works.

Moral of the story: Use at your own risk? Your results may vary? Keep the Droid, get rid of the LG3's? Naa... no moral authority here. It's just a damn phone right (and strange obsession).

Last edited:

dreadkopp

Jan 28, 2012
www.p-sol.de
while reflow might work for borked cpu/memory etc - for something as easy to solder as simcard / sdcard or charging port , just take it to some guy who know's his way around a soldering iron. 10€ and it's fixed . No need to melt and kill your phone in the oven.

Reactions: TheMadScientist

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
while reflow might work for borked cpu/memory etc - for something as easy to solder as simcard / sdcard or charging port , just take it to some guy who know's his way around a soldering iron. 10€ and it's fixed . No need to melt and kill your phone in the oven.

I am a big non believer in the oven idea It may help for some and then other not.
People do not think of recourses though What if something gets fried then you put battery in and shorts out instant fire hazard.... Just to dangerous just as putting MBs in freezer on G4 you freeze it then take it out creates condensation on MB so corrosion starts Not to mention possible tripped moisture detectors...

phnord

Jun 4, 2011
Thought I'd share a bit of advice from my personal experience fixing my GPU issues

Tried baking the phone a few times over the past week at temperatures ranging 350-380; the problem would come back in a day or less

Finally tried using two alligator clips to clamp the GPU chip while baking at 400 for 10 minutes and leaving it clamped while cooling for another 10

Then putting folded aluminum foil between the chip and the screen,and folded paper between the opposite side of the chip and the case to apply constant additional pressure and heat disappation via the aluminum

It's worked like a charm ever since. I highly recommend this fix

Reactions: skyman88882002

gmoore777

Feb 2, 2018
My 3-year old LG G3 (VS985 Verizon) died last Saturday. If I removed the battery and put it back in (including a new battery), it would begin to boot up with LG logo, then blue screen, then blackness in about 10 seconds.
Reading this thread, I then baked the mother board in a Pyrex dish at 350 degrees F, for 8 minutes. It worked.
I was able to pull my exported contact list, and all my pictures from it, but I am still retiring the phone as a backup phone and/or for parts.
I did order another brand new LG G3 (D850 AT&T) for $140 via Walmart, cause I like the screen resolution, the 2.5Ghz CPUs and already had 2 belt phone holsters and didn't want that $20 investment to be lost. The new phone's ear piece speaker had a scratchy sound. I did replace it with the old phone's ear speaker, which didn't help, put back the new one, and it works fine now. So the dismantling and re-mantling must have done something.

Aside: I have been Uber-ing for about 5 weeks, and wonder if having the Google Maps navigation always on along with my plastic phone holster cover on it, was creating a hotter than normal environment for it and caused it to die.
(which of course using an oven to fix it is a bit interesting.)

Last edited:

sanraven

Apr 6, 2018
Fixed

Baked my dead G3 mobo at 360F for 10 minutes, now it works fine.

Followed pjmarkert's directions but it in a pyrex dish like gmoore777 suggested. I had little faith but I had nothing to loose since my G3 wouldn't boot up and was going to the trash. I was shocked! It worked. I got everything back which I quickly copied. I wonder if I will learn my lesson and back everything up on my new phone from the beginning. Note: I don't know what the white card under the tray where the SD card goes is, but it started to melt. I should have taken it out before putting it in the oven if that's possible.

iTakMD

Mar 27, 2018
Followed pjmarkert's directions but it in a pyrex dish like gmoore777 suggested. I had little faith but I had nothing to loose since my G3 wouldn't boot up and was going to the trash. I was shocked! It worked. I got everything back which I quickly copied. I wonder if I will learn my lesson and back everything up on my new phone from the beginning. Note: I don't know what the white card under the tray where the SD card goes is, but it started to melt. I should have taken it out before putting it in the oven if that's possible.

That white card is your SIM card, lol...and yeah you should of taken it out before you put it in the oven.

My mothers' phone died and started to boot loop every time it got to the login screen, she already got a new phone and already had backed up her photos. I went ahead and took the phone, took out the motherboard (there's a thin cable connector on the back of the motherboard that should be taken out as well). I took an alligator clip and held down the CPU/GPU chips down, place the board on top of 3 rolled up aluminum foils(to prevent contact with the actual pan) with a aluminum sheet under it on a cooking pan. Cranked up my oven to 400 F preheated and placed it for 10 minutes. Took it out and cooled it down, i also decided to take some 0.5mm thermal pads and place them over the GPU and CPU chips to create pressure to hold it down the chips while using the metal tray as a heatsink. The CPU i used 2 0.5mm thermal pad and place them on top of each other to make 1.0mm so that it can touch the screen, and use the screen as a heatsink. Flashed LOS 14.1, Artx kernel and underclocked the CPU down to 1267 MHz and GPU down to 389 MHz...phone runs much cooler and seems to run multitask and game fine. So far 2 weeks in and no issues with bootloop, although i'm probably going to store the phone soon as a "backup" phone.

sanraven

Apr 6, 2018
SIM card

I figured that out after the fact. I guess I got lucky because even though it melted a little it still worked. I discovered the contact list is stored on the SIM card and my contacts were still on my phone.

That white card is your SIM card, lol...and yeah you should of taken it out before you put it in the oven.

My mothers' phone died and started to boot loop every time it got to the login screen, she already got a new phone and already had backed up her photos. I went ahead and took the phone, took out the motherboard (there's a thin cable connector on the back of the motherboard that should be taken out as well). I took an alligator clip and held down the CPU/GPU chips down, place the board on top of 3 rolled up aluminum foils(to prevent contact with the actual pan) with a aluminum sheet under it on a cooking pan. Cranked up my oven to 400 F preheated and placed it for 10 minutes. Took it out and cooled it down, i also decided to take some 0.5mm thermal pads and place them over the GPU and CPU chips to create pressure to hold it down the chips while using the metal tray as a heatsink. The CPU i used 2 0.5mm thermal pad and place them on top of each other to make 1.0mm so that it can touch the screen, and use the screen as a heatsink. Flashed LOS 14.1, Artx kernel and underclocked the CPU down to 1267 MHz and GPU down to 389 MHz...phone runs much cooler and seems to run multitask and game fine. So far 2 weeks in and no issues with bootloop, although i'm probably going to store the phone soon as a "backup" phone.

vlonethuggish

Apr 8, 2018
Baking did seem to work for a week aaaand 3 days or so, then it flashed the blue screen again and got stuck, put it in the oven again, set it up, then it was official, it was dead... though to anyone whos trying to recover something, go for it, it does work, 10 minutes, 200 degrees celcius CPU side up (golden/yellowish side up)

pointer_2001

Apr 16, 2018
My LG G3 just went black last night and I had tried a few of the other tricks on youtube that didn't work. Came upon this thread so figured I had nothing to lose. 10 minutes at 360 and my phone is back working! Thanks for the help!!

nottechsavvy1

Jun 5, 2018
Genuinely thought this was some kind of wind up but after lots of different websites suggesting the same thing I've baked my motherboard tonight - and it worked!

Jan 29, 2018
Guaymas
even thinking of trying that for my sim card issues...
Reflowing works for the sim rejection issue as well Carlos. Semr my d851 in and had it done. Works like new

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

it's been a while since you have posted your comment, but did you try to reflow your phone? mine has a problem with the SIM card and i tried every other solution except for this.
not sure if i should try this and risk damaging a phone that could otherwise be used for multimedia purposes.

Alsamarri it does work dor sim issue

anip_aniki

Apr 24, 2017
My G3 on brink of death. I manage to short pin and flash stock firmware. The phone was able to boot but
it stuck on logo many times and dead.
When i try charging without battery, i can see my motherboard is working. Whenever i put the battery, the phone is completely dead.
Should i bake my mobo too? I never try a new battery, i afraid it might not worth replacing new battery
Sorry for bad english

mbmsv

Mar 2, 2019
I see many people reported that baking a motherboard results in a temporary fix. I am an electronics engineer and I know a thing or two about the reflow process. The problem is that baking at 350-380F doesn't even get close to real reflow temperatures. Proper reflow process actually involves baking at about 150 deg F for 12-24 hours but only to slowly remove moisture from the components before the reflow. If this step is skipped and there is enough moisture in the component it might crack during the reflow when temperature rises quickly. The reflow itself takes several minutes and goes through several stages from preheat to peak and then cool-down. At the peak the temperature should approach the solder melting point, which for lead free solders is in the range from 230 to 245 deg C. (446 to 473 deg F) . However, at proper reflow temperatures data in flash memories frequently gets corrupted, so you might end up with a hard bricked phone, which will have to be unbricked afterwards. And that is what stops me from trying it on my phone... :(

sanraven

Apr 6, 2018
I'm responding to this post as a non engineer of any kind and can't begin to explain why this procedure worked for me. I don't know what reflow really is but I do know my phone was already dead, so what did I have to loose? I now have a LG v 30+ which I have backed up everything in it. I've learned from my past mistake. Out of curiosity because of this last post I tried to boot up my old phone. It is still working enough to show my contacts and pictures and even has 76% battery. It's been almost a year. Although I would never trust it again. In short it worked but I don't have a clue why, nor do I care. I'll leave that up to the experts. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sometimes I do brilliant things, but this takes the cake. My G3 was having charging issues - wasn't charging at all. It looked like one of the connectors on the charging port was broken. So a friend tells me that his brother puts his damaged motherboards in the oven to reflow the solder. So, like a dummy I look around online amazed at all the success stories, take my phone apart, and carefully cook my motherboard for supper. :mad::mad::mad:

I did 385F for 8 min, waited 20+ min to cool, wrapped everything except the charge port in foil, all that. So when I put it back together....nothing. Occasionally a blank blue screen appears then goes away.

So, cam I do anything to bring back this phone that was awesome before a lost my head?

and just when I think I've heard of everything...

reflowing is for, in general, gaming systems/boards which no longer use lead based soldering, and have grown older and connections may go bad/brittle.

Your G3 is way new.
    Baking th MOBO

My LG G3 died last night. First I got the blue screen, then the looping startup blue screen, then... nothing could not get it to power up at all. I got on some online forums and read about baking the MOBO. Since my phone was bricked and about 18 months old, I figured, what do I have to lose? I didn't think it would work, but I was desperate. I removed the MOBO and baked it in a Pyrex dish at 360 degrees for 10 minutes. Took it our and let it cool, reassembled the phone and it has worked great ever since. It was a very counter-intuitive thing to do, but the whole reflow thing makes sense when you think about it. Still, I'm getting a new phone.
    Sometimes I do brilliant things, but this takes the cake. My G3 was having charging issues - wasn't charging at all. It looked like one of the connectors on the charging port was broken. So a friend tells me that his brother puts his damaged motherboards in the oven to reflow the solder. So, like a dummy I look around online amazed at all the success stories, take my phone apart, and carefully cook my motherboard for supper. :mad::mad::mad:

I did 385F for 8 min, waited 20+ min to cool, wrapped everything except the charge port in foil, all that. So when I put it back together....nothing. Occasionally a blank blue screen appears then goes away.

So, cam I do anything to bring back this phone that was awesome before a lost my head?
    and just when I think I've heard of everything...

reflowing is for, in general, gaming systems/boards which no longer use lead based soldering, and have grown older and connections may go bad/brittle.

Your G3 is way new.

Just when you think you saw and heard every dumb things... Wow

SENT FROM MY D852 G3 RUNNING CM12.
    Just when you think you saw and heard every dumb things... Wow

SENT FROM MY D852 G3 RUNNING CM12.

shahkam,

reflow-

... "is a process in which a solder paste (a sticky mixture of powdered solder and flux) is used to temporarily attach one or several electrical components to their contact pads, after which the entire assembly is subjected to controlled heat, which melts the solder, permanently connecting the joint. Heating may be accomplished by passing the assembly through a reflow oven or under an infrared lamp or by soldering individual joints with a hot air pencil." wiki or someplace

We (military/DOD) have equip 'reflow'ed (repaired) all the time. Newer boards, including gaming consoles, which no longer use lead based solder, considerably more. Comparatively, older (lead based) boards are much more durable and the connections remain stable/intact much better/longer.

reflow.

WOW