• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General So it happened - Broken antenna from bending

Search This thread

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
It was probably only a matter of time before the structural weakness of the ROG5 started showing in accidents and broken devices. My device is officially broken from damage around the mid section between the 2 batteries and the side USB/cooler port and antenna soft spot - exactly as highlighted on some videos. As a result, connectivity goes on and off and reception is extremely weak.

To be clear, the device has not been bent violently, dropped, smashed or anyhting like that, there are no physical bends visible other than I noticed one corner of the glass back plate looks a tiny tiny bit detached from the body of the phone. I'm guessing the device might have been bent just enough while in a pocket to damage it. No broken glass plates.

Up to you if go for this device but everyone should be aware of this. The device is with ASUS, if they don't fix it under the warranty and the price for fixing it isn't on the low side, I'll take the loss and switch to another brand.

If you're absolutely going for ASUS, the ROG 3 might be a much better choice - It's better built, has better tempretures/battery life, does custom reccovery like TWRP without pain, probably cheaper now and I bet it performs exactly as well as ROG 5 for 99.5% of games/apps during the remaining lifetime of both devices.

I have feeling the ROG 5 is the device ASUS will regret... It's basically an overheated, inefficient,badly tuned version of ROG 3 with a weak body and some overpriced expanded memory..

• Wow
Reactions: Anubarak16

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Thanks for the hint: however I'm really sceptical to be honest. I can't believe this can happen due to bending in normal pocket (or maybe I don't want to believe it because I like the phone)

I really wish you best of luck that Asus repairs it for free and I would like to know the outcome.

What does your pockets look like? Are they too small/tight because I tried it and whatever I do my current phone isn't under pressure at any time when it's in my pockets.

Reactions: twistedumbrella

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Thanks for the hint: however I'm really sceptical to be honest. I can't believe this can happen due to bending in normal pocket (or maybe I don't want to believe it because I like the phone)

I really wish you best of luck that Asus repairs it for free and I would like to know the outcome.

What does your pockets look like? Are they too small/tight because I tried it and whatever I do my current phone isn't under pressure at any time when it's in my pockets.

I didn't believe it either. Normal pocket size and I never carry my phone in the back pocket where you risk sitting on it. My best guess is the device was in a front pocket while wearing jeans and has bent at an angle on the weak point while sitting down or something just enough for some internal circuit or antenna lines to bend or break. Don't put this to test with your own device - you'll wreck it...

Reactions: Anubarak16
Honestly, the device is meant to be used almost exclusively with the cooler. This is the same reason I never take it off, but turn it off, when putting it in a pocket. Beyond the obvious improvements to heat concerns, it also reinforces the center of the device to prevent bending.

Sure, it does make it a bit bulkier and isn't going to prevent the device from pressure if you wear skinny jeans a size smaller than they should be for proper circulation, but it will definitely stop it from randomly folding in half without breaking that first.

I get dragged into a lot of unplanned physical activity without thinking about preventing stress on the phone. I've been unable to confirm that the phone will simply break over time.

I can only assume it was one of those perfect scenarios, not unlike the Note 7 fires. It is obviously a possibility, but the actual number of people that will ever experience it is probably too low and it's just not enough of a safety concern to justify a recall or discontinuation.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I actually tried to use a Pelican G40 case to store the phone and cooler during travel (and add water protection). The case is just slightly too short and the device had to be angled for a tight fit. This would be a lot like placing the phone in a tight pocket. I would be interested to see bend tests done with the cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Honestly, the device is meant to be used almost exclusively with the cooler. This is the same reason I never take it off, but turn it off, when putting it in a pocket. Beyond the obvious improvements to heat concerns, it also reinforces the center of the device to prevent bending.

Sure, it does make it a bit bulkier and isn't going to prevent the device from bending if you wear skinny jeans a size smaller than they should be for proper circulation, but it will definitely stop it from randomly folding in half from normal use.

I've mentioned before that I only use my device with WiFi, but I live in an area where a lot of neighbors share their connections and get together often. I play Nerf war, skateboard, and all the other stuff that the younger parents get dragged into by being close with them. I should also mention that I have no kids, so it's not something I consider in my own purchases. Knock on wood that I've never been able to confirm that the phone will simply break over time.

I can only assume it was one of those perfect scenarios, not unlike the Note 7 fires. It is obviously a possibility, but the actual number of people that will ever experience it is probably too low and it's just not enough of a safety concern to justify a recall or discontinuation.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I actually tried to use a Pelican G40 case to store the phone during travel (and add water protection). The case is just slightly too short and the device had to be angled for the latch to work. This would be a lot like placing the phone in a tight pocket and the cooler kept it rigid. I would be interested to see those bend tests done with the cooler.

If the device is meant to be used exclusively with the cooler, ASUS should explicitly make that clear and include one with every phone, in which case the design of the Lenovo Legion is probably better - i.e just build a cooler hump into the phone regardless of the looks. The ROG 5 cooler is waay to bulky for pocket use for most people.

I think the weak mid body pf ROG5 is just due to sloppy design - which is unacceptable for what is meant to be a flagship device.

Either way, keep this phone in a bag or jacket pocket and make sure it's not at a bending angle at any time. Seems you don't need a big squeeze to break stuff inside the phone. I don't know what's under the mid section, it could be some antenna rails or other connectors that easily break or bend out of function. Again, I don't recommend testing any of this, the risk of breaking your device is high...

Reactions: blackhawk
If the device is meant to be used exclusively with the cooler, ASUS should explicitly make that clear and include one with every phone, in which case the design of the Lenovo Legion is probably better - i.e just build a cooler hump into the phone regardless of the looks. The ROG 5 cooler is waay to bulky for pocket use for most people.

I think the weak mid body pf ROG5 is just due to sloppy design - which is unacceptable for what is meant to be a flagship device.

Either way, keep this phone in a bag or jacket pocket and make sure it's not at a bending angle at any time. Seems you don't need a big squeeze to break stuff inside the phone. I don't know what's under the mid section, it could be some antenna rails or other connectors that easily break or bend out of function. Again, I don't recommend testing any of this, the risk of breaking your device is high...

Both Pro and Ultimate versions DO come with one, but one of the ways to make a cheaper version is to leave out some accessories and sell them separately. They may still expect you to buy it and may not prioritize the concerns of those that don't. Besides, building something prone to burning out and breaking down into the phone is a terrible decision. Lenovo will no doubt get their own backlash for that down the road.

I feel like carrying the phone in a bag or jacket is just as big of a risk. It would make more sense to get a rigid holster or sleeve. I don't feel like the design was sloppy, but definitely not as durable as typical phones. Much like the Nvidia Shield, I am sure there are a lot of things they wanted to make possible that ended up being a lot of compromises.

I'll be interested to see how widespread this becomes and how Asus goes about handling it. The number of imports / exports mean a lot of people are running around without proper warranty coverage.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update >> ASUS fixed the device. There was damage to both reception as well as reading the SIM slots. The main board had to be replaced. They did it free of charge under the warranty, no questions asked. I think they know they've messed up..

I didn't believe it either. Normal pocket size and I never carry my phone in the back pocket where you risk sitting on it. My best guess is the device was in a front pocket while wearing jeans and has bent at an angle on the weak point while sitting down or something just enough for some internal circuit or antenna lines to bend or break. Don't put this to test with your own device - you'll wreck it...

Sure, it does make it a bit bulkier and isn't going to prevent the device from pressure if you wear skinny jeans a size smaller than they should be for proper circulation, but it will definitely stop it from randomly folding in half without breaking that first.

I get dragged into a lot of unplanned physical activity without thinking about preventing stress on the phone. I've been unable to confirm that the phone will simply break over time.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I actually tried to use a Pelican G40 case to store the phone and cooler during travel (and add water protection). The case is just slightly too short and the device had to be angled for a tight fit. This would be a lot like placing the phone in a tight pocket. I would be interested to see bend tests done with the cooler.

Sure, it does make it a bit bulkier and isn't going to prevent the device from bending if you wear skinny jeans a size smaller than they should be for proper circulation, but it will definitely stop it from randomly folding in half from normal use.

I've mentioned before that I only use my device with WiFi, but I live in an area where a lot of neighbors share their connections and get together often. I play Nerf war, skateboard, and all the other stuff that the younger parents get dragged into by being close with them. I should also mention that I have no kids, so it's not something I consider in my own purchases. Knock on wood that I've never been able to confirm that the phone will simply break over time.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I actually tried to use a Pelican G40 case to store the phone during travel (and add water protection). The case is just slightly too short and the device had to be angled for the latch to work. This would be a lot like placing the phone in a tight pocket and the cooler kept it rigid. I would be interested to see those bend tests done with the cooler.