So... Miracast and the Nexus 7?

Search This thread

Locklear308

Feb 6, 2012
Loganville
Please tell me the N7 4.2 update will bring miracast. Because I cannot explain to you guys how exciting that would be XD

Also...anyone know where to buy one of those adapters?

ezieger

Dec 23, 2010
DC
I know you are excited... we all are.

Where to start? Ok first off don't buy any adapters for anything yet. Read this and get a little depressed, first (but less depressed than if you wasted money on an adapter that isn't compatible with your device).
http://www.slashgear.com/miracast-accessories-dont-jump-in-head-first-just-yet-06255843/

Now let's make you feel a little better. Hardware wise, yes Nexus 7(which has Tegra 3 chips) should be fine with Miracast.
http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/07/tegra-enhances-miracast-wireless-display-on-hdtvs/

Although we don't really know if the bandwith of the wireless card will allow for streaming content from the interwebs to your TV, what the quality will be for a 2.4 Ghz wireless card or if Google will natively support it for the N7 (even though 4.2 is supposed to)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1896605

Time will tell. For now, just sit back and watch the posts to see the early adopters complain or rejoyce. As it is we really haven't even seen Miracast in action in the real world, just very controlled demos intended to get us all excited (please correct me if you have a real world video).

Last edited:
Reactions: supercopter

James-NC

Jul 14, 2012
Durham
The update is here for many people so it is time to settle this once and for all.;)

I know some of you that have already updated have a netgear 3000 ready to go so...what is the verdict?Does it work or not?

Reactions: ezieger

ezieger

Dec 23, 2010
DC
I mean...hey guys

The google native support was always an iffy thing. It sucks but I'm sure we'll see some custom rom love in the upcoming weeks/months (hours? I love you guys... You are doing God's work). There doesn't seems to be a lot of options for Miracast from the pull side (unless you want to go buy a new TV just to support your $200-$300 tablet) So it's not like there is a huge rush to get the push side working right away. The bigger question is the persormance we'll see. But to be honest the fact that google nixed it from the start seems to suggest we may be disappointed with that too.

stunndd

Apr 23, 2011
So I bought the Netgear ptv3000 updated my N7 hooked it up to my TV connected to it through WIFI-Direct and nothing. Screen on my TV says it's "ready to connect". It connects via wifi-direct according to my tablet but not the 3000 isn't showing it. :(

arkade110

Aug 2, 2012
Nexus 7 will support Miracast needs to be on 4.2 and set op boxes may need to be updated, but overall, wait o buy, here what people say about them. I am waiting for the update to be pushed to me over the air because I am to lazy to dit manually right now, but it should be to all of us in at most 3-4 days. It may be a setting inside apps. Although, from the man websites I have been to, they have all been saying that it will get Miracast. I would post some but I have just lost track of all of the websites.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Reactions: stunndd

stunndd

Apr 23, 2011
I hoped someone would say that. It connects according to the tablet but nothing beyond that. Thanks for giving me hope. I did update to 4.2 and no updates for the netgear ptv3000.

Last edited:

sci05

Jan 7, 2008
I hoped someone would say that. It connects according to the tablet but nothing beyond that. Thanks for giving me hope. I did update to 4.2 and no updates for the netgear ptv3000.

Did you connect via WiFi direct? I just noticed under WiFi settings -> menu (the 3 dots) there's a WiFi direct option that didn't use to be there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mpalensh

Nov 11, 2008
Did you connect via WiFi direct? I just noticed under WiFi settings -> menu (the 3 dots) there's a WiFi direct option that didn't use to be there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

For the moment, it just doesn't seem to be an option as Google hasn't included it in the 4.2 build. I tried to connect up my 3000 with the Wi-Fi direct option, but it doesn't do anything- I suspect it won't work without the option in the display menu.

After the late availability emails today on 4/10 releases to the store, Google is not on my nice list at the moment.

wjr002

Jul 4, 2012
For the moment, it just doesn't seem to be an option as Google hasn't included it in the 4.2 build. I tried to connect up my 3000 with the Wi-Fi direct option, but it doesn't do anything- I suspect it won't work without the option in the display menu.

After the late availability emails today on 4/10 releases to the store, Google is not on my nice list at the moment.

Have you tried playing YouTube through the TV via the new YouTube app?
Not full Miracast as far as I can tell but it might work.

Omar04

Jul 22, 2011
Kissimmee
WiFi direct doesn't work. At least for me but I don't use it anyways.

Sent from my SPH-D710/Nexus7 using Tapatalk v2.4.1

jjaime

Nov 14, 2012
The update is here for many people so it is time to settle this once and for all.;)

I know some of you that have already updated have a netgear 3000 ready to go so...what is the verdict?Does it work or not?

Upgraded Nexus 7 to 4.2, bought a Netgear PTV3000 and tested.
First of all, couldn't find any Miracast related settings in N7/4.2.
Was able to see the adapter, changing its mode from Intel WiDi to Miracast mode and enabling Wi-Fi Direct option in Wi-Fi settings on N7/4.2. I can invite the adapter, but nothing happens on the other side.

Wi-Fi Direct option was already available in 4.1.2 and I understand its purpose is to transfer files only.

Any input or suggestion?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Decompiling the framework-res.apk of the n7 4.2 update there is an option to enable miracast. I doubt it would work but I will try it as soon as a working adapter is on the market.

It is currently disabled on pur device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    No updates. No point in an update until we have some certified tvs, receivers, etc. For all we know miracast works on every tablet and phone ever created including your rotary dial. There is however nothing out right now that is certified to pull it. For now we wait and occasionally read spurious posts from people who dont know the difference between wifi direct and miracast that got it working sort of for a few minutes. Then get excited at how awesome it will be when it sort of works for our device or mad that our device wont able to sort of get it to work.

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda app-developers app
    No disrespect intended but we have all heard a lot of rumors of it working but little to show for it. Are you sure you're not mixing up Miracast and Wifi direct? You were able to push video to another display wirelessly using the ptv3000? If so, how was the quality? Could you post some pictures or a video? You would probably be the first non-industry person to do it.

Not so, I got one a few days after my n4 arrived. Updated the PTV and started using it around early-mid january. I use n4->miracast exclusively with the ptv3000 and have no widi enabled laptops to even try widi with.

There is always ~100ms lag and there are drops with terrible pixelation. Every once in a while (hour or two) I can drop the connection entirely. It sometimes refuses to connect and spits out slews of HDMI and HDCP errors. Your phone overheats like a mofo while miracasting. You often have the soft buttons on the big screen. It appears to render the screens at different resolutions and aspects, not truely mirroring/scaling them. Your phone display never shuts off, making it distracting in dark rooms, you can't use the phone for anything else while miracasting.

When it does work it works well, and for certain applications (video) it is nice. For games it's terrible. For *most* things it's terrible right now but I suspect a lot of that will be fixed.
    Also interested in knowing how well this will work. Please report successes/failures here. I am looking to switch from my T-Mobile Springboard to N73G but I'll miss the HDMI.