So what does everyone use to text people?

What do you use to text?

• stock tw messaging app

Votes: 86 58.9%
  • go sms

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • sliding sms

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • handcent

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • other

Votes: 20 13.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
I've been using Go Sms Pro but kinda bored with it. Looking to use something else or just stick with stock messaging.

I used Go SMS Pro all the time before. But the ad texts were getting annoying. I have a policy if I give money its of my own free will. If I get harassed then I dont give money and stop using.

I've been happy with the stock messenger. I really like the air view features in it.

Sent from my awesome AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SGH-I337 using xda developers app.

schollianmj

Feb 27, 2009
I think since this isnt about JUST the S4 thi should be in the XDA General forum, not the S4 section....

This is getting ridiculous.... So many people want to come in and blast posters for posting in the wrong section. Just report the post if it offends you that much.

Now back to topic....

I use Handcent. Been using it since I had the original Moto Droid. Love the Themes, the doodle option, and emoji support.

I tried GoSMS, and while I liked it, the constant barrage of ads killed it for me.

cybershawngates

Jan 28, 2012
Handcent sms

can someone figure this out....I can't get pictures of the persons fb profile icon to show in handcent. even though it shows up in the stock message app

Last edited:

dstech

Jun 7, 2007
Detroit
I use the at&t messaging app because it rolls in the visual voice mail support too along with auto cloud backup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cybershawngates

Jan 28, 2012
Handcent sms

can someone figure this out....I can't get pictures of the persons fb profile icon to show in handcent. even though it shows up in the stock message app
. Credit to this link re: gosms with similar issue (http://www.appeggs.com/apps/com.jb.gosms,77/go-sms-pro-no-contact-photos-after-ics,797.html)

Ok if you're missing contact pictures from FB in your handcent app (same works for go sms pro - it was no better with missing pics).

1. settings --> Accounts. Remove the FB account. Exit
2. Log back into FB app. This time choose DON"T Sync contacts when prompted upon login to fb app
3. Download Ubersync for facebook (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.weednet.contactssync&hl=en).
4. Open this app, add FB account if needed. In the settings I chose picture size "NORMAL" - not sure if this step is needed instead of the default max supported. Sync All contacts checked and match by facebook ID checked. Run full sync to run a full sync
5. Open handcent - most of the pics will be there. If still missing a pic and you're sure they are on FB do this:
5a. Open contacts app. Type name of person with no pic. Usually you will see 1 of 2 issues: The contact has no pic OR there's two or more contacts but only one has the pic. You need to remove the contacts iwth no pic OR join them to the one with the pic. Or choose a pic manually.

** Removing DUPLICATE contacts that have no pic is the key issue. Seems handcent and even go sms gets confused if there's 2 i.e. "Jane Doe" but only one has a pic. This is especially true if the number you SMS exists in both. I.e. both Jane Doe in contacts have the same SMS number i.e. 800-555-1212 - it gets confused. The SMS number needs to be in only one contact (or join contacts in teh contacts app till only one contact).

Hope that helps!!

Thermalwolf

Mar 13, 2011
Austintown, Ohio
Used slide messaging pro for awhile. Very cool way to manage texts but its way to laggy for me. Sometimes it runs fast, sometimes it drags. Going back to stock until I find a more optimized third party app.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda premium

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I used to use Handcent but I get frequent popup issues where the keyboard hides the message on popups.

So I am on GoSMS now. At first I hated it, but once I figured out that you can "buy the premium package" and block the "spam" texts and adjust the view so you don't see any advertising or suggestions.

Now it's a great SMS app and fully customizable to the nth degree.

greyhulk

Jan 14, 2009
For the first time, I feel like Samsung got the stock messaging app right. Every MMS doesn't turn into a slideshow (annoying on previous versions), you can customize the look and feel, and it works really well.

I only ever replace the stock SMS app if I feel that it's crippled (like it was on the GS3 and Note 2) or inadequate. Personally, I find that there are too many compromises with almost all of the third party solutions.

Reactions: plwalsh88

plwalsh88

Apr 4, 2011
Boston, MA
For the first time, I feel like Samsung got the stock messaging app right. Every MMS doesn't turn into a slideshow (annoying on previous versions), you can customize the look and feel, and it works really well.

I only ever replace the stock SMS app if I feel that it's crippled (like it was on the GS3 and Note 2) or inadequate. Personally, I find that there are too many compromises with almost all of the third party solutions.

Agree 100%. Just wish the overall UI was dark, like everyone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

WoodburyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Connecticut
Using stock MMS app. My favorite by far is Google default one. I did use CM10.1 for a while and loved it, except it had a bug where it would not resize images correctly. And I dislike Go SMS, Handslide, and all the others. They all seem slow compared to the stock app. If I could put the stock Google SMS app on the stock(based) ROM I would love it.

While on the subject. Anyone know how to get stock AOSP MMS.APK working in our stock or stock-based roms?

Last edited:

plwalsh88

Apr 4, 2011
Boston, MA
Using stock MMS app. My favorite by far is Google default one. I did use CM10.1 for a while and loved it, except it had a bug where it would not resize images correctly. And I dislike Go SMS, Handslide, and all the others. They all seem slow compared to the stock app. If I could put the stock Google SMS app on the stock(based) ROM I would love it.

While on the subject. Anyone know how to get stock AOSP MMS.APK working in our stock or stock-based roms?

In other words, porting the Nexus 4 mms.apk over to the S4?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

alexmihai92

Jun 14, 2013
I used to text with the stock messaging app, but by some time whatsapp became more convenient for me, so now I use it most.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sms popup in the playstore. It adds quick reply to the stock messaging app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium
    It's a poll and kind of an open thread about texting apps. Not really the same as Q&A just because it ends with a question mark.

Ok, so you're not really asking what everyone uses. My bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app
    I use the stock messenger

Sent from my awesome AT&T SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SGH-I337 using xda developers app.
    This sounds like a question to me. Probably should post it in the q&a section next time.

It's a poll and kind of an open thread about texting apps. Not really the same as Q&A just because it ends with a question mark.
    Ok, so you're not really asking what everyone uses. My bad

Well I have always had the idea that the Q &A section was more towards general assistance to a problem for example the question would be "I have a media storage drain how do i fix it?" and the answer would be " perform x and y task and you will be all set" This is just a general poll about what people are using. I am not asking for advice as to what texting app I should use but just more so curious as to what people in general are using. Does that make any sense?