• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question So what is the best android charging habit...?

Search This thread

RRK173

May 25, 2021
So I bought POCO X3 Pro earlier this month...So I play games on it mainly and the question is which kind of charging habit is better?

1.Frequently charging to make the percentage between 50%-100%
2.Charge it to 80-90 and try not make to make it fall below 20% and charge only once in a day?

The second option is a bit far fetched for me...Though I will try

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
If you root your device, you can use Battery Charge Limit.

You can set the maximum charging percentage, like setting it to 80%, then the charger will stop charging.

For our POCO X3 PRO, we need to go into this app setting and change "Set Control File" to the one with mi6 or something I don't clearly remember.

ArrowOS has this smart charging built-in.

I personally use my old charger to charge it slowly.
From what I observe, the Xiaomi 33W charger will rise the battery temperature to 40°C, which is bad to the battery. My slow charger will increase to ~33°C.

The fast charge is for convenience and emergency eg. forgot to charge at night and need to rush in the morning.

Frequently charging between 40~80% is better for battery health in long term.
Advanced Charging Controller (acc) is a good module to do this under control. It also has links about battery health explanation. (Battery university)

Nov 19, 2015
i keep mine at 70% max. i charge when it gets to 40%. I use arrowOS so i can set max charging and it resets the battery stats as well, so i know which apps eats power next time

nthp999

May 21, 2021
Actually, I always keep my battery between 25% and 75%, then I restart the device once a week. Finally, I will use it until 0% one or two times a month before charging fully to 100% , I have read in a newspaper, it is necessary for digital devices.

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
Wait... is there a problem with charging my phone to 100%?

If you want your phone battery health to last longer for years, like 2 years or more, then it's better. Info is here: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

For long term, battery will degrade and loose it's capacity, so your battery die eventually, then replace, then die, then replace...
Like this:

If you are wealthy enough to change your phone so frequently that you don't even want to concern the long term damage to phones, then forget about it and go for the TOP. (And coffee for me :p)

LITUATUI

Jun 3, 2021
  • Cycling from 100 to 0 % we get 500 cycles
  • Cycling from 100 to 10 % we get 500 cycles
  • Cycling from 100 to 20 % we get 1.000 cycles

• Cycling from 90 to 0 % we get 1.500 cycles
  • Cycling from 90 to 10 % we get 1.500 cycles
  • Cycling from 90 to 20 % we get 2.000 cycles

• Cycling from 80 to 0 % we get 3.000 cycles
  • Cycling from 80 to 10 % we get 3.000 cycles
  • Cycling from 80 to 20 % we get 3.500 cycles

• Cycling from 70 to 0 % we get 5.000 cycles
  • Cycling from 70 to 10 % we get 5.500 cycles
  • Cycling from 70 to 20 % we get 6.000 cycles

thorin0815

Apr 27, 2017
Germany
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about any loss of capacity in the battery. My oldest still active device is now 5 years old and even with that I do not notice any significant loss of capacity. Typically all of my devices charge from around 5% to 100%. My Nokia 7 Plus was charged almost daily by me for 2 years and by my brother for a year before that, but I don't know how he charged it. Still, I haven't noticed any change in the running time to this day.

Darklink007

Jun 1, 2021
Maybe it's not the place to ask, but I was wondering, is there any way to know if a Xiaomi charger is fake? I want to buy a charger between 10-18w to replace my 33w charger in order to reduce my POCO X3 PRO battery's suffering, but I live in a third world country where is VERY difficult to adquire imported products and I don't want to buy a fake one from the local online marketplaces, if you guys could please help me I would appreciate it

thorin0815

Apr 27, 2017
Germany
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Maybe it's not the place to ask, but I was wondering, is there any way to know if a Xiaomi charger is fake? I want to buy a charger between 10-18w to replace my 33w charger in order to reduce my POCO X3 PRO battery's suffering, but I live in a third world country where is VERY difficult to adquire imported products and I don't want to buy a fake one from the local online marketplaces, if you guys could please help me I would appreciate it
Just buy any 2 Ampere, 5 Volt charger. It should be fast enough, but not too fast. It doesn't have to be a Xiaomi charger.

Reactions: Darklink007

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019

If you have a laptop, use it's USB. It most likely will charge VERY slow, to the point that you want it to charge faster.

Edit: The alternative way is to use Magisk module Advanced Charging Controller (acc)

You need to unlock bootloader, install Magisk, and install Advanced Charging Controller (acc) module.

Then you can restrict the charging current or voltage. I tried with the official charger and it can be charged below 500 mAh, so below 2.5 watts.

Last edited:

ChriMo

Oct 13, 2014
If you root your device, you can use Battery Charge Limit. ... like setting it to 80% ... ArrowOS has this smart charging built-in.

From what I observe, the Xiaomi 33W charger will rise the battery temperature to 40°C, which is bad to the battery. My slow charger will increase to ~33°C.

The fast charge is for convenience and emergency eg. forgot to charge at night and need to rush in the morning.

Advanced Charging Controller (acc) is a good module to do this under control. It also has links about battery health explanation. (Battery university)

It is best to keep it between 20-80 present and not gaming while charging. I use my old slow charger when i am not in a hurry.

The first two are should be the standard user behaviour, given the ROM build-in recharging warning. The difference in cycles to 70 to 20 % seems huge (6-10x more)
If you have a laptop, use it's USB. It most likely will charge VERY slow, to the point that you want it to charge faster.

All interesting posts. I wonder however:
What about having the device connected to the charger most of the time (at work place) with 100% most of the time, so it is de-charged only a small time of the day? So only at times when really moving around some workdays or in the weekend the device gets down to 20% or below.
I have now changed the 33W (12V/3A) Fast-Charger with the older 18W (9V/2A) Charger of the RN7 I have.
Would setting the charge limit to 80% give a huge benefit if I would like to use the device at least for 2-3 years?

Last edited:

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
The first two are should be the standard user behaviour, given the ROM build-in recharging warning. The difference in cycles to 70 to 20 % seems huge (6-10x more)

All interesting posts. I wonder however:
What about having the device connected to the charger most of the time (at work place) with 100% most of the time, so it is de-charged only a small time of the day? So only at times when really moving around some workdays or in the weekend the device gets down to 20% or below.
I have now changed the 33W (12V/3A) Fast-Charger with the older 18W (9V/2A) Charger of the RN7 I have.
Would setting the charge limit to 80% give a huge benefit if I would like to use the device at least for 2-3 years?

Connecting to the power all the time at around 100% is bad. It is at the limit of Over charging, the battery may bloat up and destroy the screen.

If you want, it's better to set it limit 40~80% and connect. The importance is the battery temperature. Don't make it hot. You can check it with Ampere.

The benefit is about the battery. You might not need to replace it often when you encounter like cases of sudden drop of percentage or sudden shutdown.

Huge or not is subjective.

Reactions: ChriMo

ChriMo

Oct 13, 2014
Connecting to the power all the time at around 100% is bad. It is at the limit of Over charging, the battery may bloat up and destroy the screen.
If you want, it's better to set it limit 40~80% and connect. The importance is the battery temperature. Don't make it hot. You can check it with Ampere.
Regarding battery temperature at least after reaching 100% I never noticed a hot or even warm phone.
I taught the device/system has some "charging intelligence" when always connected, so that the phone is directly using the power from the cable while the battery is not drained?

In Stock MIUI (debloated) or xiaomi.eu without root it is not possible to set a different Battery Charge Limit then?

pl1992aw

Apr 5, 2019
Regarding battery temperature at least after reaching 100% I never noticed a hot or even warm phone.
When it's about to reach 80% or 90%, smart batteries now will charge slower automatically, so you don't feel the temperature.

However, when you see it in ultra-fast charge, like 40% charing to 70% in 30 minutes, the battery rise to 40°C or higher (as I observed.) Can even go higher depend on climate and using while charging.

I taught the device/system has some "charging intelligence" when always connected, so that the phone is directly using the power from the cable while the battery is not drained?
This can be done with Advanced Charging Controller (acc).

I had answered similar questions here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/custom-kernel-for-gaming-poco-x3-pro-please.4281305/post-85105659

In Stock MIUI (debloated) or xiaomi.eu without root it is not possible to set a different Battery Charge Limit then?

This control needs root.

Unless it's built into the Rom.

ArrowOS version 2021-05-07 had Smart charging that can set a limit threshold without root.

But developer said will remove this funtcion. See in his Rom thread for his reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChriMo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you root your device, you can use Battery Charge Limit.

You can set the maximum charging percentage, like setting it to 80%, then the charger will stop charging.

For our POCO X3 PRO, we need to go into this app setting and change "Set Control File" to the one with mi6 or something I don't clearly remember.

ArrowOS has this smart charging built-in.

Wait... is there a problem with charging my phone to 100%?

If you want your phone battery health to last longer for years, like 2 years or more, then it's better. Info is here: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

For long term, battery will degrade and loose it's capacity, so your battery die eventually, then replace, then die, then replace...
    Like this:

If you are wealthy enough to change your phone so frequently that you don't even want to concern the long term damage to phones, then forget about it and go for the TOP. (And coffee for me :p)
    My habit is 1 + 2: when around 50%, charge it up to around 90%.

Of course I'm not paranoid about it. But I do check battery levels most times I pick up my phone, to decide what to do.
    It is best to keep it between 20-80 present and not gaming while charging. I use my old slow charger when i am not in a hurry.
    Actually, I always keep my battery between 25% and 75%, then I restart the device once a week. Finally, I will use it until 0% one or two times a month before charging fully to 100% , I have read in a newspaper, it is necessary for digital devices.

discharging at 0% seems to be at a high risk that it won't power on anymore