So where is the Official ASUS Thread - Weak Wifi Issues?

Search This thread

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
I am sure the pogopins are an issue. My Wifi works, poorer is some instances, the same in others as compared to my wife's iPad and my Thunderbolt. But in the instances where the Wifi is worse I can press on the face of the Prime where the pogopin for the Wifi is and speedtest will go from 2+ Mb to 20. So I do think those pogopins are a big part of the problem.

And that happens with the back facing the position of the router.

I'd say so. I put shims under all my antenna and went from 0 sats in view (got 1 one time by pinching, never worked again though) to 13 in view and 9 in use. The .13 update has since turned that into just 1 sat bouncing in and out constantly, not sure why.

I also didn't used to get full WiFi bars even sitting directly underneath my router with a -50 dBm or so. After the shims, I pull -40 dBm and get full reception under my router.

So, yes, at least in a number of Primes the pogopins are making a piss-poor connection and causing some of the WiFi/GPS issues. Not all of them though.

lp_stealth

Jan 19, 2009
The actual failure rates are much lower than acceptable norm mentioned above. Regardless of how people draw conclusions from forum posts, the actual RMA and reported problems combined (reported problem but upon contact, the customer did not want to RMA or return) are less than 0.9% based (top problems reported) upon current unit deliveries (actual numbers will be reported shortly).

That said we are working through the issues reported and will continue to do so as quickly as possible.

what about the GPS that doesn't work in probably safe to say half the units, while still advertising it on the box?

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
General rule of thumb: Don't change your wifi settings to match specifically your Prime. Go to an airport/hotel/Starbucks/university/friends house/ect, and you can't change the settings there = your screwed. I use these scenarios as "typical wifi hotspot" tests.

I understand what you're saying but that isn't a fix for this issue. I can take my wifes iPad anywhere and there is no wifi issue, no settings I have to change. If I take my TP to any of those places, well you know the rest..:rolleyes:

I know what you mean, but i havent had an issue yet. I use my TP at home, with a mobile hotspot from my phone, at my fiancee's, one time i used a strange prog to make a hotspot around the laptop of a friend because we only had cable internt, i used it at a cafe with open wlan. I didnt have issues (yet?). I mainly did those tests to get the optimal situation for all our devices here at home, and to see if the prime would performe worse than the others. It didnt, for me.

Also i didnt made that thread only in response to you, i'm sure you know what you're doing :) i just wanted to share my observations.

And last but not least, i'm not saying the aluminum doesnt interfere. I'm sure it does. BUT in my case it doesnt interfere so much that i would notice it or have disadvantages because of it.
But if there's a solution to get better wifi performance in the end, i'm all ears :) its never bad to have better connection.

Aluminous

Jan 26, 2008
Seoul
This is true. I have 3 stuck pixels, a bright spot that recently formed on my screen, and the BT/WiFi issues (along with weak WiFi and non-existent GPS, which I understand are not fixable). I'm afraid to RMA my Prime for the "fixable" problems because of the reasons you listed above. Oh well. I guess you live, you learn. These problems notwithstanding, overall, I do like my Prime. However, this will certainly be the last Asus product I ever purchase, and being the resident "tech geek" among friends and family, I will certainly advise them to stay away from Asus as well.

I was pretty lucky. I got my Prime before the new year, and it had only the WiFi BT issue.

Now, I have the same recently formed bright spot (!?) -- not light bleed or a stuck pixel, and I'm fairly certain it hasn't always been there (I thoroughly inspected my prime when it arrived). I'd like to get both this and the WiFi+BT issue fixed, but I'm also afraid of having it RMA'd (That on top of the fact that I need my prime for taking notes/textbooks).

That said, I still like Asus and my Prime (sexy backplate included). I would buy from them again, but I won't be making any pre-orders. I appreciate the rapid updates -- at least they're trying. Samsung hardly ever updates their products...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, this is my first day on this forum. I've been on Transformerforums.com since the Prime launch and I've participated in a number of discussions over there but I decided to participate over here because it looked like the technical quality of the discussions was a little deeper and more informative. Attacking another single user for his choice of words in describing a problem is not helpful and does not forward the discussion of the issue. I think we understood what he was saying and I agree with him. Let's keep this on topic and actually discuss the Prime, not someone language semantics.
    There probably isn't one because weak wifi is subjective to user opinion ans their personal network. So many different factors can influence network performance as no 2 networks are the same. Its alot more complicated to determine if someone truly has weak wifi or if its their network settings or if something else is interfering with signal that's unknown yet.

Well my Prime's WiFi is much weaker compared to two other tablets, Galaxy 10.1 and HTC Flyer.
    There probably isn't one because weak wifi is subjective to user opinion ans their personal network. So many different factors can influence network performance as no 2 networks are the same. Its alot more complicated to determine if someone truly has weak wifi or if its their network settings or if something else is interfering with signal that's unknown yet.

Weak WiFi is no more subjective than anything else if you're using proper measurement tools. "Bars" mean nothing, and I won't quote "bars" as any evidence. However, tools like Wifi Analyzer and Speedtest.net give objective, comparable numbers. I understand that a number of factors effect WiFi but that's the point -- a weak WiFi will have more problems accommodating these factors. It's not sufficient to say "you're not in the optimal environment" when that environment cannot be controlled outside of one's own house or (sometimes) place of business.

With that introduction....

I'm on my second Prime, and I can verify that WiFi PERFORMANCE has been generally lower on both Primes than my HTC Incredible and my HP laptop. At my house, D-Link 802.11G Channel 6, the phone is usually about 15 to 20% faster on Speedtest.net, and with the laptop it can be 40% faster. Additionally, as many other users report, at further distances from the router the dropoff on the Primes becomes substantial. In the farthest room of my house from the router (one floor down, two rooms away) my phone can pull 3000-4000k on Speedtest and my laptop pulls 7000k+, yet both Primes CONSISTENTLY drop to 1000k or below.

I tested at my brother-in-law's house yesterday during the Super Bowl to see how it would behave on a different network. Linksys router, 802.11G on Channel 11, my phone consistently got 5500-6500k down and my Prime never got above 2500. I was one floor down, one room over from the router.

Oddly, on WiFi Analyzer my Prime gets almost the exact same signal strength as my phone in all environments. That's the only hope I have that this could be a software issue and be fixable with a new firmware.

Again, I understand variance in network environments, but I think it's clear that for a significant number of users in varied environments, the WiFi on the Prime is delivering lower performance than other devices in similar conditions.
    To me, WiFi being weak, means that the WiFi in general is weak. Throughput is most important to me. Not relative signal strength, although as I (and another) have noted, signal strength on Prime is similar to other tablets I've tested here at home. It's WiFi throughput (especially at distance) where the Prime is weak.

I will see if I can make it any clearer by editing, adding "throughput" to post.
    There is no reason for you to waste your time posting a video. You and I both know that a serious amount of Primes have problems with BT/WiFi/GPS. There's an overabundant amount of info in & out of this forum confirming our own REAL World experiences. I know you are Pro User so don't waste anymore time on this.

Let's all work together in getting Asus to fix these Out of the Box problems with the TF201.

I strongly agree with this. Especially the last part. It is getting tedious posting my experience then someone with a conflicting experience wants to come n battle..lol n vice versa also..I'm guilty of it. The fact is like you said, there's enough defective units out there to know some people really do have these issues that needs addressing from Asus. If we all work together more or on same page then we might can make a real difference. Direct energy more towards Asus vs. Conflicting with each other on who right or wrong.