• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

so who's switching to the new iphone in a month?

Search This thread
Exactly!

the iPhone is for Guys/Gals who have keep up in being "stylish".
As are all Apple Products.

i this and i that.......still no pic txting.....HSDPA is way better (igarbage = HSDPA 3.6 vurses our 7.2!....not to mention no SLINGBOX!

http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/at...116563-iphone-3g-cometh-2008-06-10_174739.jpg

The Tilt is by far the most suited for me. Word, PDF, Excel and PPT files I use everyday and being in printing I have converted so many damn Vista files on my phone vs on our XP computers in the office.

IMO (like said before) the only compelling argument ifruits have is that even if your the ugliest person on the street when you pull that phone out you look more stylish = SO!

Not to mention reading the apple forum makes me laugh......there even more noobish than some peeps here!

Again all in my own opinion......No Sling.....no Bluetooth???? WTF?

Last edited:

NotATreoFan

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
hope there will be a prepaid version of the new iphone. can you buy it without at&t contract in apple store ? (like the old one)

As of right now, the only carrier that has confirmed prepaid support is Orange. The ONLY way to buy the iPhone officially in the US is at an AT&T store or Apple store, and you must activate right there on the spot. No contract... no phone.

jellycow

Dec 22, 2006
Thank god for Apple

iPhone2 ???? definitely No :p.

I'm not saying I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and get the iPhone 3G. It's just not that much of an improvement over the old iPhone. I really like my 8925 (with my 3125 as backup).

But understand this is coming from a very American point of view...Thank god for Apple and its iPhone 3G! I was not impressed by the device. But when I saw the subsidized price, I was floored. Just think of the possibilities of what will happen to this market in the next 6-12 months!!! It's all about competition and it can only be good for the consumer.

Getting a pretty capable 3G handset into the hands of regular consumers can start that momentum for these US operators to really start competing on features and services. We've had lot of 3G handsets...but nothing so easy for regular joe-schmoes to pickup and use. I hope iPhone succeeds...I hope it pushes our carriers to add new features and new services, lower prices, and start to push the envelope a little...catch up a little to the rest of the world!

And I hope this $200 subsidized price pushes all the other companies to compete on price! I see rumors of HTC Diamond Pro and Sony Xperia X1 being around $4-500 AFTER the subsidy. I hope these guys are shaking in their boots. Because even with single carrier contract being barrier to entry, iPhone will still eat into their market share....and they'll have to react.

Then when HTC and Sony are forced to get on the market for around $250 subsidized price...man...I'll be the first in line!

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
And I hope this $200 subsidized price pushes all the other companies to compete on price! I see rumors of HTC Diamond Pro and Sony Xperia X1 being around $4-500 AFTER the subsidy. I hope these guys are shaking in their boots. Because even with single carrier contract being barrier to entry, iPhone will still eat into their market share....and they'll have to react.
Unlike the iPhone, the Raphael and X1 both have newer technology, not 2 year old stuff that is both crap and "revolutionary". Both the Raphael and X1 are business orietated devices, they are far more corporate, and far more powerful than the "I can't make up my mind if I'm a business phone or a consumer device so I'll sell my self as both and do niether" iPhone...

Both the X1 and the Raphael have higher res screens, hardware keyboards and a hell of a lot more functionality (both hard ware and software wise).

The Diamond is the closest thing to the iPhone (in terms of size and price point) but even that uses better hardware, has a higher clocked processor (528MHz instead of the 600 underclocked to 400MHz iPhone) and has far more standadised software (WM, and all the things that come with it).

jellycow

Dec 22, 2006
Unlike the iPhone, the Raphael and X1 both have newer technology, not 2 year old stuff that is both crap and "revolutionary". Both the Raphael and X1 are business orietated devices, they are far more corporate, and far more powerful than the "I can't make up my mind if I'm a business phone or a consumer device so I'll sell my self as both and do niether" iPhone...

Both the X1 and the Raphael have higher res screens, hardware keyboards and a hell of a lot more functionality (both hard ware and software wise).

The Diamond is the closest thing to the iPhone (in terms of size and price point) but even that uses better hardware, has a higher clocked processor (528MHz instead of the 600 underclocked to 400MHz iPhone) and has far more standadised software (WM, and all the things that come with it).

I totally agree with the fact that WM6.1 devices have far more functionality. It's an OS that's been around longer in various vertical markets to mature with lot more development time. I doubt that iPhone's OS can touch that just yet.

But I do disagree with your view about Diamond and X1 having lot newer technologies and therefore they can charge more. If HTC and SonyEricsson viewed the competition that way, they would already have lost and there is no turning back. I seriously hope this is not the case.

Without a doubt, X1/Diamond has a great screen that's lot higher in resolution than the iPhone. They have better cameras...well...X1 probably will. Not sure about Diamond....my 8925 takes some crap pictures. X1/Diamond has faster CPU. Hardware keyboard is great (I have a hard time living without it...) These things on the surface are great. But when it comes to user experiences, it's a different story. Do you honestly think the non-fan-boys will care which technology is newer? How do you even define newer? Newer = better functionality, no? If that's the case, for lot of the users, X1/Diamond != newer. Some might argue that they are actually older...simply a evolutionary improvement on design that's years old.

iPhones have a big multi-touch screen that just looks great even at its lower resolution. It has a new generation OS that's based on a very old established OS (BSD)...so it's fast. If you put them side by side, nobody will believe you when you say that iPhone is 25% slower than X1/Diamond...because the iPhone OS is more responsive so it pretty much cancels that advantage. It only has a 2mpxl camera but man, it looks helluva lot better than pictures from my 8925 for some reason. It supports the same 4 GSM band / 3 HSDPA-UPA band that others do. It has support for wifi, bluetooth, etc. It has a great development environment that people are churning out software fast. It has a tilt sensor good enough to make games out of. Did you see the keynote with the apps from eBay and the Monkeyball game? Not too shabby. It comes with full exchange support and remote delete. It has OpenGL support. It comes with 8GB/16GB!!!

So if you present consumers with those choices, would anybody consider the iPhone 3G old technology? I doubt it. On the face value, for most of the consumers, all the advantage that you speak of that X1 and Diamond has...gets simply erased. iPhone's OS can be updated as it goes along since Apple seems lot more inclined to update/patch their software than MS as well. But I still don't get the no-MMS, no-video-recording on the iPhone. Just dumb.

I've been a big fan of X1. Until I saw the price for iPhone 3g. I sincerely hope Sony takes on the challenge and compete head on. But I will write X1/Diamond off if they come out at price point above $3-400 subsidized (in the US...not sure about pricing situation anywhere else). Better luck next round maybe?

Does HTC/Sony/Microsoft have the PR and marketing know-how to fight this and educate the consumer with the "no...our technology is newer" ? No they do not. Can they do anything to educate consumers with good solid pros and cons of their devices? (like the fact that iPhone only has 128MB of RAM and it will crash by simply closing the current app you are in if you run out of memory, etc?) I doubt it. But for now, maybe they can compete on price...and that's good for me.

On the plus side, don't you think HTC/Sony/Microsoft has something in the pipeline for the next generation that needs to leapfrog the iPhone? Maybe next X1 will have more than 512MB of storage space? ha ha ha.

Either way, as a consumer, iPhone 3G with exchange support breaks the status quo...and I'll have fun watching the industry take another step forward. I'm still praying for $200/300 Diamond/X1...well...I can dream, eh?

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
I totally agree with the fact that WM6.1 devices have far more functionality. It's an OS that's been around longer in various vertical markets to mature with lot more development time. I doubt that iPhone's OS can touch that just yet.

But I do disagree with your view about Diamond and X1 having lot newer technologies and therefore they can charge more. If HTC and SonyEricsson viewed the competition that way, they would already have lost and there is no turning back. I seriously hope this is not the case.

Without a doubt, X1/Diamond has a great screen that's lot higher in resolution than the iPhone. They have better cameras...well...X1 probably will. Not sure about Diamond....my 8925 takes some crap pictures. X1/Diamond has faster CPU. Hardware keyboard is great (I have a hard time living without it...) These things on the surface are great. But when it comes to user experiences, it's a different story. Do you honestly think the non-fan-boys will care which technology is newer? How do you even define newer? Newer = better functionality, no? If that's the case, for lot of the users, X1/Diamond != newer. Some might argue that they are actually older...simply a evolutionary improvement on design that's years old.

iPhones have a big multi-touch screen that just looks great even at its lower resolution. It has a new generation OS that's based on a very old established OS (BSD)...so it's fast. If you put them side by side, nobody will believe you when you say that iPhone is 25% slower than X1/Diamond...because the iPhone OS is more responsive so it pretty much cancels that advantage. It only has a 2mpxl camera but man, it looks helluva lot better than pictures from my 8925 for some reason. It supports the same 4 GSM band / 3 HSDPA-UPA band that others do. It has support for wifi, bluetooth, etc. It has a great development environment that people are churning out software fast. It has a tilt sensor good enough to make games out of. Did you see the keynote with the apps from eBay and the Monkeyball game? Not too shabby. It comes with full exchange support and remote delete. It has OpenGL support. It comes with 8GB/16GB!!!

So if you present consumers with those choices, would anybody consider the iPhone 3G old technology? I doubt it. On the face value, for most of the consumers, all the advantage that you speak of that X1 and Diamond has...gets simply erased. iPhone's OS can be updated as it goes along since Apple seems lot more inclined to update/patch their software than MS as well. But I still don't get the no-MMS, no-video-recording on the iPhone. Just dumb.

I've been a big fan of X1. Until I saw the price for iPhone 3g. I sincerely hope Sony takes on the challenge and compete head on. But I will write X1/Diamond off if they come out at price point above $3-400 subsidized (in the US...not sure about pricing situation anywhere else). Better luck next round maybe?

Does HTC/Sony/Microsoft have the PR and marketing know-how to fight this and educate the consumer with the "no...our technology is newer" ? No they do not. Can they do anything to educate consumers with good solid pros and cons of their devices? (like the fact that iPhone only has 128MB of RAM and it will crash by simply closing the current app you are in if you run out of memory, etc?) I doubt it. But for now, maybe they can compete on price...and that's good for me.

On the plus side, don't you think HTC/Sony/Microsoft has something in the pipeline for the next generation that needs to leapfrog the iPhone? Maybe next X1 will have more than 512MB of storage space? ha ha ha.

Either way, as a consumer, iPhone 3G with exchange support breaks the status quo...and I'll have fun watching the industry take another step forward. I'm still praying for $200/300 Diamond/X1...well...I can dream, eh?
Whilst the iPhone may have more storage built in, I could plug a 32GB MicroSD card into the newer devices and have double the available memory...

Okay, so the iPhones interface is quite nice, but think about it, all that interface is is a launcher. The size of the icons is about that of the Programs menu in WM, just hide the start bar and softkeys, and it does the same thing. Or, you can just get a program like iFonz (for free without Apple raping you for not having as a signed app) and do it better with more options for that one program than for the entire iPhone.

The "MultiTouch" (for me, the only advantage of the iPhone) is under used, very few programs use it at all, and those that do have limited functionality than can be bettered using hardware buttons. The same is true for the rotation sensor, and the Diamond (and the Raphael for that matter) has a tilt sensor that can be used for games as well (see the press release of it for something on that).

Apple has finally realised that an SDK and opening up the software may help, but for WM, you've been able to develop apps since its release, with many different IDEs and SDKs. There are far more programs and developers for WM than for the iPhone because it is far easier to develop for, and not restricted by WM (although there are some certificate checks, they can easily be disabled).

Add to that the fact that although the "new", "revolutionary" (both terms are utter crap, the technology is not new, and neither is the implementation. The only "new" thing is the marketing) iPhone will actually be more expensive over the two year minimum contract on AT&T, it seems even less attractive.

People seem to be comparing the Raphael and X1 as the competition for the iPhone, and that is plain wrong. They are the next tier above the iPhone, the have hardware keyboards and other business features, where as the iPhone has a "revolutionary" music player (a repacked version of the same software used on all their "revolutionary" music systems), and a browser that is worse than the beta versions of Opera Mobile 9.5... The competition for the iPhone is the Diamond, with its user friendly UI, but the ability to use it as a different device, with a proper OS and some form of functionality.

If you look at HTCs pricing strategy, you will see what I mean: They have the low end, Touch (the original one) device, with higher end devices (Touch Dual etc) with different functionality and newer technology, leading up to the Kaiser etc with the latest and greatest (maybe without drivers) technology, but even with some lackings, they still do far more than the iPhone. Even the Original Touch does more!

I can see that the iPhone may seem attractive with its excellent marketing, but seriously, what can it do better than my Prophet running WM6.1, with some apps from XDA-Devs?

jellycow

Dec 22, 2006
I've never said iPhone is just as advanced as devices from HTC or whatever. My point is that for $200 (free in some European networks), it kicks it to the curve in terms of value proposition, and HTC and Sony needs to step up (which is what I want them to do). I can't imagine a single consumer/typical business phone users in the market thinking about the state of things the way you are describing. We'll see how numbers turn in next few quarters, but with economy the way it is, I can't see that many business users around me clamoring to spend double the money for an HTC device.

Whilst the iPhone may have more storage built in, I could plug a 32GB MicroSD card into the newer devices and have double the available memory...

SanDisk et al barely is at about 16GB with microSDHC that they hope to ship sometime this month for over $200 (their 12GB card is $179.99). 32GB are at least 5-6 months away.

The same is true for the rotation sensor, and the Diamond (and the Raphael for that matter) has a tilt sensor that can be used for games as well (see the press release of it for something on that).

I doubt that 2 devices out of 100's that support a feature will result in apps supporting that feature in the future. With its both pros/cons, having a single OS/Hardware provider does give Apple bit more control on what they can manage.

Add to that the fact that although the "new", "revolutionary" (both terms are utter crap, the technology is not new, and neither is the implementation. The only "new" thing is the marketing) iPhone will actually be more expensive over the two year minimum contract on AT&T, it seems even less attractive.

I used to pay $40 a month for unlimited 3G using my 8925. If I were to decide to switch to the iPhone, I'll save $10 a month. I know people bring up this point about how iPhone's new 3G plan is more expensive, but it's not. I know people with AT&T BlackJack2 that's paying $40 a months as well. (I finally figured out my old 3125 smartphone plan product code so I'm back to $20 a month for unlimited internet...not sure if it's capped at Edge, but it'll do for Exchange uses)

People seem to be comparing the Raphael and X1 as the competition for the iPhone, and that is plain wrong. They are the next tier above the iPhone, the have hardware keyboards and other business features, where as the iPhone has a "revolutionary" music player (a repacked version of the same software used on all their "revolutionary" music systems), and a browser that is worse than the beta versions of Opera Mobile 9.5... The competition for the iPhone is the Diamond, with its user friendly UI, but the ability to use it as a different device, with a proper OS and some form of functionality.

I'm not sure if consumers will see it this way. I personally find keyboard a must...but I troll these forums for new ROMs and such continously. I honestly don't know a single person around me (very tech savvy users but not HTC fanboys) that won't consider the iPhone 3G next to a HTC Diamond Plus or X1. It's just economics.

I can see that the iPhone may seem attractive with its excellent marketing, but seriously, what can it do better than my Prophet running WM6.1, with some apps from XDA-Devs?

There is no one product that's better for everyone. Some will pick iPhone, some will pick the HTC. Competition is good. But I can see how iPhone is a more compelling package to consumers. So we'll see how people vote with their wallets.

hambola

Feb 28, 2008
Yeah the $200 price point is key. It will drive sales and they will hit their numbers.

As for the WM being as or more responsive than the iPhone OSX, I gotta challenge that statement. I don't know if it's due to lack of drivers or slow filesystem access time on our HTC devices, but many operations are pretty slow. Loading up thumbnails of all your pics is pretty slow whether in the HTC Album, Windows Picture Viewer, S2V, etc. Try loading up photos on an iPhone you'll see how fast it is. Going from one pic to the next is quick. zooming and panning is way more fluid then our devices. (Zooming is faster in HTC Album than Picture Viewer, but panning is more smooth in Picture Viewer than HTC Album, but both are crappier than on an iPhone).

This also applies to loading up audio files. If you have over 1000 audio files and try loading them up in HTC Audio Manager or WMP it will take at least 10 seconds before you get a response back.

How about the touch screen bug, I wonder if that's also in the Diamond, but that's ridiculous. You can multi-touch on an iPhone and not have lag. I touch the screen while a video is playing and it stutters. WTH.

Overall, I'm happy with my Cruise and can do way more with it than I could with an iPhone but there's no way our device is as smooth as an iPhone, let alone more.

My 0.02.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
Yeah the $200 price point is key. It will drive sales and they will hit their numbers.

As for the WM being as or more responsive than the iPhone OSX, I gotta challenge that statement. I don't know if it's due to lack of drivers or slow filesystem access time on our HTC devices, but many operations are pretty slow. Loading up thumbnails of all your pics is pretty slow whether in the HTC Album, Windows Picture Viewer, S2V, etc. Try loading up photos on an iPhone you'll see how fast it is. Going from one pic to the next is quick. zooming and panning is way more fluid then our devices. (Zooming is faster in HTC Album than Picture Viewer, but panning is more smooth in Picture Viewer than HTC Album, but both are crappier than on an iPhone).

This also applies to loading up audio files. If you have over 1000 audio files and try loading them up in HTC Audio Manager or WMP it will take at least 10 seconds before you get a response back.

How about the touch screen bug, I wonder if that's also in the Diamond, but that's ridiculous. You can multi-touch on an iPhone and not have lag. I touch the screen while a video is playing and it stutters. WTH.

Overall, I'm happy with my Cruise and can do way more with it than I could with an iPhone but there's no way our device is as smooth as an iPhone, let alone more.

My 0.02.
The $200 dollars works out more expensive over the 24 months, but my guess is Apple are just doing a marketing trick...

Almost every smartphone can be got for free on UK networks, with a lower monthly bill :p (I can get unlimited HSDPA - the UK have that - for less than about $20 a month).

The "touch screen bug" is not something I've ever suffered form...

With WMP, it has this "Library" feature that significantly reduces the time to find music!

Maybe the iPhone can handle images better, but that is about all it can do. You can't send them without e-mail, and you can't take video!

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
I've never said iPhone is just as advanced as devices from HTC or whatever. My point is that for $200 (free in some European networks), it kicks it to the curve in terms of value proposition, and HTC and Sony needs to step up (which is what I want them to do). I can't imagine a single consumer/typical business phone users in the market thinking about the state of things the way you are describing. We'll see how numbers turn in next few quarters, but with economy the way it is, I can't see that many business users around me clamoring to spend double the money for an HTC device.
I got my Prophet for free on orange... On a £20 a month contract (about $50 dollars when I got it...) and that was very shortly after its release...

SanDisk et al barely is at about 16GB with microSDHC that they hope to ship sometime this month for over $200 (their 12GB card is $179.99). 32GB are at least 5-6 months away.
16GB s still more than the iPhone has (700MB is taken by the OS...), and with many UK devices free rather than the £269 of the iPhone (2G that is) it was cheaper to get a Kaiser and a huge microSD card, than the iPhone on the same contract...
I doubt that 2 devices out of 100's that support a feature will result in apps supporting that feature in the future. With its both pros/cons, having a single OS/Hardware provider does give Apple bit more control on what they can manage.
Okay, so limited, but even two devices will be able to get apps as there are far more WM devs and users than iPhone users and devs...
I used to pay $40 a month for unlimited 3G using my 8925. If I were to decide to switch to the iPhone, I'll save $10 a month. I know people bring up this point about how iPhone's new 3G plan is more expensive, but it's not. I know people with AT&T BlackJack2 that's paying $40 a months as well. (I finally figured out my old 3125 smartphone plan product code so I'm back to $20 a month for unlimited internet...not sure if it's capped at Edge, but it'll do for Exchange uses)
On UK networks, the iPhone 2G was £35 a month including unlimeted edge... I could get similar spec devices, with unlimited 3G for less than that at the same time as the iPhone was "revolutionising" mobile internet.
I'm not sure if consumers will see it this way. I personally find keyboard a must...but I troll these forums for new ROMs and such continously. I honestly don't know a single person around me (very tech savvy users but not HTC fanboys) that won't consider the iPhone 3G next to a HTC Diamond Plus or X1. It's just economics.
The Raphael and X1 are a different level of device. The Diamond is the only device of similar specs, and even that does far more than the iPhone can ever do (even if you can "develop" for the platform).
There is no one product that's better for everyone. Some will pick iPhone, some will pick the HTC. Competition is good. But I can see how iPhone is a more compelling package to consumers. So we'll see how people vote with their wallets.
The thing is that I don't see it as "competition", I see the iPhone as a consumer device which thinks it can be useful in the business context and can be sold like that, where as WM really is useful in the business context, and can be got for less... They are completely different devices with different uses. The iPhone is not a smart phone, and that is why Apples marketing is so incredibly annoying to me.

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
"My point is that for $200 (free in some European networks)"

here the networks are forced when they make comercials to state the collected
price of what one pays as min in the whole being tried down period

it's always more then what an unlocked phone cost even if the price of the phone is 0.1€ which many are

http://www.internettablettalk.com/images/o2iphone.gif

18 * 45£ is still 1576.8 us $ / 1021€ in all which is more then i would use in 18months with my local subscription even if i got a 546£ unlocked iphone

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
"My point is that for $200 (free in some European networks)"

here the networks are forced when they make comercials to state the collected
price of what one pays as min in the whole being tried down period

it's always more then what an unlocked phone cost even if the price of the phone is 0.1€ which many are

http://www.internettablettalk.com/images/o2iphone.gif

18 * 45£ is still 1576.8 us $ / 1021€ in all which is more then i would use in 18months with my local subscription even if i got a 546£ unlocked iphone
The iPhone is just being marketed to make it seem attractive in the hope that consumers are too entranced to notice the fact that apple will still be making the same amount (if not more) from them.

jellycow

Dec 22, 2006
The iPhone is just being marketed to make it seem attractive in the hope that consumers are too entranced to notice the fact that apple will still be making the same amount (if not more) from them.

At least in the US, without a doubt, the new iPhone 3G plan will save me money over the plan that I used to have for Kaiser/8925. Worst case, I'll come out the same. Might be different elsewhere. I do know that it's being offered free in some of the markets.

16GB s still more than the iPhone has (700MB is taken by the OS...), and with many UK devices free rather than the £269 of the iPhone (2G that is) it was cheaper to get a Kaiser and a huge microSD card, than the iPhone on the same contract...

You are reaching. If you are gonna complain about the iPhone, do it right....I don't think iPhone's lack of expandable memory is that much of a big deal. 8GB/16GB built in for its price is pretty good. For you to say "I can spend another $200 to get where the iPhone is," is disengenuine. You'd never accept that argument the other way. I think Diamond Plus comes with 4GB, but still. It's not like people keep their phones for 4-5 years now anyway. Legitimate complaints of things that can't be fixed with software on the iphone: only 128MB of RAM (UGH!), non-user-replaceable battery (yeah AppleCare can take care of it...but still, lame.), wobbles on the table (at least it bugs me). Software issues that might get taken care of: No MMS??? No video recording. No Copy/Paste (Most consumers won't miss it...I need it). Other issues? Hmmm. New OS. Not enough Apps. Apple lock down. Etc. Lot of things that can be solved in time. Just like all of HTC/Sony/Nokia issues.

The iPhone is not a smart phone, and that is why Apples marketing is so incredibly annoying to me.

Your definition of a "smartphone" is skewed then. I have had the Nokia 9300i, SonyEricsson P900, eTen x500+, along with about 5 different HTC devices. I consider all of them to be a smartphone (PDA phones?) I have family members with the iPhone. Maybe iPhone 1 was just a fancy phone (until it was unlocked), but the new iPhone 3G with Exchange support is definitely a "smartphone" in all aspects of the term comparable to any I've had before. I hope HTC and Sony people don't think like you and they recognize a good threat when they see one...although I did read articles today about how HTC stated that they are not worried. There is definitely enough market for all and more than enough time for companies to adjust and compete. Besides, Nokia is still spanking all of them overall. But it's not where you are that's important, it's which direction you are going. I'd love to see what Nokia, HTC, Sony et al will counter with.

hambola

Feb 28, 2008
The $200 dollars works out more expensive over the 24 months, but my guess is Apple are just doing a marketing trick...

Almost every smartphone can be got for free on UK networks, with a lower monthly bill :p (I can get unlimited HSDPA - the UK have that - for less than about $20 a month).

The "touch screen bug" is not something I've ever suffered form...

With WMP, it has this "Library" feature that significantly reduces the time to find music!

Maybe the iPhone can handle images better, but that is about all it can do. You can't send them without e-mail, and you can't take video!

Compared to what we have in the US market, a $200 iPhone is a great deal. Check out this link, prices it against the Kaiser for 2 year plans, iPhone ends up being cheaper.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/t...paring-the-iphone-s-quot-true-quot-price.aspx

http://gizmodo.com/5015540/iphone-3gs-true-price-compared

This is added to the fact that I bought my Cruise unlocked which was a helluva a lot more than the prices being quoted for the subsidized costs. So yeah $200 is a good price point for what you're getting.

When you say you've never suffered from it, does that mean you know about it, it just doesn't affect you or you're not even aware of it. Well if it's the former, then it does affect others, and that bug can limit certain types of software. If it's the latter then I can describe the actual problem.

The library feature is good, except for the fact that it's static. Try selecting Update Library and watch that progress bar go. It's been doing it for at least 10 minutes now.

Can't argue about it not taking video or not sending it out except Email. Sad that you can't send by BT or MMS. It's lame I agree. And if you email a photo to it, it couldn't save it from the email. But from what I recall from the keynote, the new firmware will allow you to save images attached in emails. about freakin time.

Ultimately I don't wanna get into this is better than that type discussion. Everyone's entitled to his own opinion and rarely does anyone change theirs through these types of discussions.

Last edited:

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
"The iPhone is not a smart phone, and that is why Apples marketing is so incredibly annoying to me."

i think it's a smartphone alright
and they are markting it as it is the
best thing since sliced bread and why
wouldn't they ?
this and any other business is about making money
to shareholders not to seem the just and freedom figthing
free stuff for the people provider
it whats makes the world go round ;)

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
"The iPhone is not a smart phone, and that is why Apples marketing is so incredibly annoying to me."

i think it's a smartphone alright
and they are markting it as it is the
best thing since sliced bread and why
wouldn't they ?
this and any other business is about making money
to shareholders not to seem the just and freedom figthing
free stuff for the people provider
it whats makes the world go round ;)
What does the iPhone do that could classify it as a smart phone? My ancient nokia can do the same things (and take video :p) in a less fluid way, but it's never been classed as a "Smartphone"

The whole iPhone concept is not be cutting edge (MMS, video etc could easily have been implemented) but to make people buy the next step up and make as much money as possible.