So, with the bugs you have, would you get this phone today?

Search This thread

braveally

Apr 12, 2010
Oakland, CA
Currently using the Xperia XZ2C and looking to upgrade either to the Xperia 5 II or divest from Sony and try the One Plus 9. I'm not thrilled about what people are saying about its quirks as well, and my experience with the Motorola Edge left a bad taste for me when it comes to curved screens.
I love the form factor of this phone and features, but I'm concerned about the bugs I'm seeing mentioned. I was all Sony until this year when I decided to get a new Xbox over the PS5. Unfortunately before I made that decision I had already gotten a new Sony TV (X900h) & Soundbar (ST-HT5000). The TV has a lot of software problems in the updates and it's concerning to see here that Sony's buggy Android software continues across multiple devices.
I've been using Xperia phones for the last several years, with a few attempts to try other devices. My experience was so lackluster with them that I ended up repairing my XZ2C to continue to use over the last year.
So, those with regular bugs, would you get this device today? The 5 iii is nowhere to be found for me and not worth it IMHO. What would have been your alternative?

MrN1484

Currently using the Xperia XZ2C and looking to upgrade either to the Xperia 5 II or divest from Sony and try the One Plus 9. I'm not thrilled about what people are saying about its quirks as well, and my experience with the Motorola Edge left a bad taste for me when it comes to curved screens.
I love the form factor of this phone and features, but I'm concerned about the bugs I'm seeing mentioned. I was all Sony until this year when I decided to get a new Xbox over the PS5. Unfortunately before I made that decision I had already gotten a new Sony TV (X900h) & Soundbar (ST-HT5000). The TV has a lot of software problems in the updates and it's concerning to see here that Sony's buggy Android software continues across multiple devices.
I've been using Xperia phones for the last several years, with a few attempts to try other devices. My experience was so lackluster with them that I ended up repairing my XZ2C to continue to use over the last year.
So, those with regular bugs, would you get this device today? The 5 iii is nowhere to be found for me and not worth it IMHO. What would have been your alternative?
I actually really enjoyed this phone, camera is quirky but great when you get used to it, the form factor is perfect, SD card, nice display etc etc.

What I couldn't stand is the proximity sensor didn't seem to work that well so when I was on the phone I'd end up muting myself or random pressing all sorts of buttons with my face. Also, the reception got worse and worse to the point where it was basically unusable for me, such a shame as I liked everything about it but the clue is in the name, a SmartPHONE. As that, it was terrible.

I've moved on to a Pixel 6 and despite the size difference it's a lovely bit of kit.

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
I enjoy the Xperia 5 II because I enjoy taking photos. I'm quite deaf and rarely use the phone and never accept phone calls. I used text messaging a lot. Mostly, I run some apps like Keep, Maps, and Photos and I have two dictionaries I use. I've had no bugs.

wazzaworld

Jun 13, 2008
I'm really happy with my 5 II. Not really seen any bugs. Fingerprint reader is hit and miss but nothing else really i could think of as a bug. Poor flashlight though! Definitely pleased I bought it though.

gerhardo

Aug 23, 2013
Moto X4
Sony Xperia 5 II
My 5ii got trapped between the car and the door and had to be replaced. (It looks like a banana but screen did not crack and it works fine on the desk).
The 5ii was more or less out of stock at that time and I did not bother to get a used phone. I got a OnePlus 8T for half the price of the available 5ii, so I went with that.

I would have preferred the 5ii in general, but there are good and bad.
The phones are quite similar, introduced about the same time with similar SOC.
OP9 is very similar to OP8T, some parts are better, other are not.

Pros for the 5ii:
* Easier to handle, can hold with one hand
* Lighter, more comfortable to hold.
* Sidesense (no built in alternative for OP before Android 12)
* Barometer
* Better screen usage. OP uses more of the front with a screen, this does not matter much when the status field is much wider due to the punch hole
* Camera button, not opposing volume and power as on OP (many screenshots...)
* Better placements of camera, less fingers covers them.
* Tele lens was more useful than I expected
* Cameras may not be better in tests, but I took better photos with them. Probably due to that they are faster.
* 3.5 mm and SD card
* Capacitive sidemounted sensor is normally preferred.

Pros OP8T:
* Larger, brighter and better screen, less need for reading glasses.
* Better phone speakers, louder, no vibration .
* Dual band GPS
* Android 11 +3 updates compared to Android 10 +2 updates - two more years. More open dev community too, better Google Camera etc.
* Main Camera can be better in very few situations
* Quick actions from locked screen is useful

DJPops

Feb 20, 2015
Had the 8T some months ago.
Finally returned it for some reasons
- many missed notifications due to ****ty battery optimizations in stock rom
- no way to disable album cover in the Lock Screen background while listening to music
- severe Amoled screen burn-in after a few days

But with Pixel experience it was one of the best phone I ever had:
- Widevine L1 while being rooted and BL unlocked (!)
- Great speaker sound
- Great GCam support
- Notification volume physical slider
- Many customization options

I got the 5 ii which I love. The headphone jack, battery, screen ratio are a perfect fit for me. But the lack of dev community is somewhat something that will bother me when it will be stuck with Android 12.