• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[SODP][ROM][AOSP][XZ2, XZ2C, XZ3] SonyAOSP 11 [BETA]

Search This thread

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
@zhka Thank you for the report.
We got now the same camx camera framework the xperia 1 and 1 II got (and 1 III soon) (the framework code between the devices got unified)
Maybe the raw fix got lost on the migration, please comment in the issue ticket.

The Sony Open Devices Project is always happy about volunteers (coding, testing, etc) :)
Also mainlining your favorite snapdragon powered xperia device into the mainline kernel is possible and we will be glad to help you!

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
*/

This is the AOSP ROM for the Sony Xperia XZ2 (akari), XZ2C (apollo) and XZ3 (akatsuki)

This ROM build will always mainly based on Sony AOSP Code and maybe include cherry-picks.
I plan to make monthly builds, after a new security patch level, if there is no need for a critical hotfix.

FAQ:

Bugtracker:

Bugreport:
  • A bugreport needs
    Code:
    logcat -b all
    and a way to reproduce the issue.
  • A crash of the system requires the content of the /sys/fs/pstore folder as bug report
    • Be aware that a second reboot erases this folder
  • A crash to the recovery partition requires additionally the content of the /dev/block/by-name/misc partition
    • You get the content via `cat /dev/block/by-name/misc partition > /path/to/output/file.txt`
  • To rescue a not responding phone:
    • VOLUP+POWER for 3 Seconds -> RESTART with one Vibration.
    • VOLUP+POWER for 20 Seconds -> SHUTDOWN with 3 Vibrations.
    • VOLUP+POWER+CAMERA for 30 Seconds -> HARDWARE SHUTDOWN by discharging a capacitor.

Thank you very much for your help, code contribution & testing! (Random order):
  • @jerpelea, the sony employees and their volunteers (people like you and me) coding this wonderful piece of software
  • @dhacke for providing a download server
  • And many thanks to the few donators! :)

A telegram group for technical SODP stuff:

XDA:DevDB Information
AOSP, ROM for the Xperia XZ2

Contributors
MartinX3, Sony, SonyAOSP
Source Code: https://github.com/sonyxperiadev

ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Latest Stock Firmware
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Beta
Current Beta Version: 11
Beta Release Date: 2020-10-23

Created 2020-10-23
Last Updated 2020-10-23
Hey,
I'm currently using LOS 18.1, do I need to follow the step or need to flash the original firmware first before flash this ROM?

patomovil

Dec 29, 2017
Moto X4
Google Pixel 2
Wow, congratulations on the advances in this project!

My device is still running stock ROM. In the past, I understood that flashing the device erased some special keys that meant the camera would never be as nice as stock, any maybe some other things got lost. Now that this custom ROM is on OEMv6, is there anything I lose by flashing from stock?

patomovil

Dec 29, 2017
Moto X4
Google Pixel 2
Also, what's the difference between this SonyAOSP ROM vs the LineageOS 18.1 ROM?

(I'm looking for a stable daily driver with a good camera and security updates, so those are the differences I'm most interested in, but if there's a complete description of the difference somewhere, maybe I'll notice something else important to me.)

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Wow, congratulations on the advances in this project!

My device is still running stock ROM. In the past, I understood that flashing the device erased some special keys that meant the camera would never be as nice as stock, any maybe some other things got lost. Now that this custom ROM is on OEMv6, is there anything I lose by flashing from stock?

DRM keys are only used on vanilla stock. Not on custom roms based on stock or SODP.
The camera won't degrade on stock as well now if you booted the newest stock firmware on both slots before unlocking.
Also, what's the difference between this SonyAOSP ROM vs the LineageOS 18.1 ROM?

(I'm looking for a stable daily driver with a good camera and security updates, so those are the differences I'm most interested in, but if there's a complete description of the difference somewhere, maybe I'll notice something else important to me.)
The stock based LineageOS has a better camera, but will stay on the old 4.9 kernel forever.
Also they need to workaround the old qcom closed source drivers more with every new android version.

SODP has a newer kernel and will move again to a newer kernel.
In the end the device will get the kernel.org mainline kernel directly (first device trees for sony xperias will appear until the end of this year if every kernel patch got merged upstream by linus torvalds or whoever is the kernel maintainer for this topic)
Sadly currently the camera is worse, if you don't manually fine tune it with camera apps like open camera etc. The automatic stuff isn't calibrated enough.
And IMS need to get fixed. At my provider it's needed for VoLTE, VoWIFI and IPv6.
And there is a battery drain. The RPMh by QCOM prevents the phone from deep sleeping. Probably fixed with the 4.19 kernel, but definitely fixed after the device runs the mainline kernel and is free from any closed source blobs and get updated like your home computer for years.

nickocou

Aug 27, 2021
Hi, I had difficults installing the ROM but in the end I was able to do it thanks to an alternative tutorial from a previous reply.
Now I'm trying to set up my Google account and backups but it's impossible to do since I don't get messages. Phone doesn't register in the mobile network and doesn't find any either when searching, and fails to send SMS. Sorry if this has been already answered before but I haven't found any solution yet.

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Hi, I had difficults installing the ROM but in the end I was able to do it thanks to an alternative tutorial from a previous reply.
Now I'm trying to set up my Google account and backups but it's impossible to do since I don't get messages. Phone doesn't register in the mobile network and fails to send SMS. Sorry if this has been already answered before but I haven't found any solution yet.
Did flash and boot the newest stock firmware, before you moved to the world of custom roms?
Shoud be 10 in mid 2020.

And of course OEM v6 binary, the newest ROM version and the dual sim flasher if your device is a dual sim device.
All described on the first page.

Last edited:

nickocou

Aug 27, 2021
Did flash and boot the newest stock firmware, before you moved to the world of custom roms?
Shoud be 10 in mid 2020.

And of course OEM v6 binary, the newest ROM version and the dual sim flasher if your device is a dual simdevice.
All described on the first page.
I moved from Lineage 18.1 and before doing it I indeed installed the latest stock firmware. Also did install the last Tama binary and the dual sim patcher just in case even though I have a single SIM model (H8216).

patomovil

Dec 29, 2017
Moto X4
Google Pixel 2
The camera won't degrade on stock as well now if you booted the newest stock firmware on both slots before unlocking.
How do I boot the newest stock on both slots?
The stock based LineageOS has a better camera,
Ok, then I'll go with LineageOS for now, and migrate to this AOSP ROM when the camera and battery issues are resolved. The VoLTE and VoWiFi probably won't work here in Ecuador until 2030 anyways, so I'm not concerned about those.
Also they need to workaround the old qcom closed source drivers more with every new android version.
There are open source Qualcomm drivers now!?!? That might be the most exciting news I've heard this month.

Thanks for your detailed replies :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The A12 build guide is up and I almost synced A12 AOSP.

Now we need to wait for it to be in a bootable state on tama. :)
    I thought your next project is ArrowOS,, or will do at same time?
    Sadly in my life outside of the smartphone stuff my job and my studies ate much time (corona virus/chaos at the university because of the old, internet hating teachers and trouble in the job because corona made our customers crazy).

Seems that arrowOS should start with android 12 (and we probably get kernel 4.19 which should fix our battery drain caused bei the qcom RPMh preventing the real deep sleep).
    So I hope optimistically I can port it now. (the battery drain disturbed me a lot, since I don't want to age my battery).

And I need to port my TWRP on AOSP11.

And some IT projects for my family, since I'm the multi functional cowpigsheep there doing development, server administration, smartphone fixes, etc for them xD
    yes RAW is working, but if your goal is for gcam and such then there's no fully working gcam yet. Most likely need different port for our device.
    open camera works, but there's still focus issue, and the image quality in general is just better in stock / stock based rom.

just letting you know in case that's one of your goal for achieving RAW support.
    Yes, the autofocus should be deactivated, if you focus manually, you get way better quality results.

And about the gcam issue, we need more fixes in the camera driver, there is this issue ticket in the bug tracker where the sony employee (camera driver developer) is reacting to.
    I think there won't by any new build by me for this ROM (going EOL).

Android 12 comes this month and there should me no new 11 release in the AOSP repos to sync with.

So I'll create a new topic with SODP AOSP 12 after it's ready (first A12 OEM image released or if the A11 OEM image is compatible).
    Still waiting for Android 12 SODP release...
    Go help the team and make the devices compatible.
    A bird twittered to me, that we got a booted 5.14 mainline kernel on the xz2.
    Now features like usb, sdcard, etc gets added.
    The A12 build guide is up and I almost synced A12 AOSP.

Now we need to wait for it to be in a bootable state on tama. :)
    The august release will be delayed to match OEMv6 with its new adreno drivers.
    android-11.0.0_r43 (September security patchlevel)
    OEMv7 support
    I thought your next project is ArrowOS,, or will do at same time?
    Sadly in my life outside of the smartphone stuff my job and my studies ate much time (corona virus/chaos at the university because of the old, internet hating teachers and trouble in the job because corona made our customers crazy).

Seems that arrowOS should start with android 12 (and we probably get kernel 4.19 which should fix our battery drain caused bei the qcom RPMh preventing the real deep sleep).
    So I hope optimistically I can port it now. (the battery drain disturbed me a lot, since I don't want to age my battery).

And I need to port my TWRP on AOSP11.

And some IT projects for my family, since I'm the multi functional cowpigsheep there doing development, server administration, smartphone fixes, etc for them xD