• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[SODP][ROM][AOSP][XZ2, XZ2C, XZ3] SonyAOSP 11 [BETA]

Search This thread

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
I think there won't by any new build by me for this ROM (going EOL).

Android 12 comes this month and there should me no new 11 release in the AOSP repos to sync with.

So I'll create a new topic with SODP AOSP 12 after it's ready (first A12 OEM image released or if the A11 OEM image is compatible).

hibikase

May 31, 2019
Indonesia
Project Treble
Xperia XZ2
I think there won't by any new build by me for this ROM (going EOL).

Android 12 comes this month and there should me no new 11 release in the AOSP repos to sync with.

So I'll create a new topic with SODP AOSP 12 after it's ready (first A12 OEM image released or if the A11 OEM image is compatible).
I thought your next project is ArrowOS,, or will do at same time?

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Sadly in my life outside of the smartphone stuff my job and my studies ate much time (corona virus/chaos at the university because of the old, internet hating teachers and trouble in the job because corona made our customers crazy).

Seems that arrowOS should start with android 12 (and we probably get kernel 4.19 which should fix our battery drain caused bei the qcom RPMh preventing the real deep sleep).
So I hope optimistically I can port it now. (the battery drain disturbed me a lot, since I don't want to age my battery).

And I need to port my TWRP on AOSP11.

And some IT projects for my family, since I'm the multi functional cowpigsheep there doing development, server administration, smartphone fixes, etc for them xD

TheeWolf

Oct 8, 2011
Can you please explain this step:
fastboot flash oem _a oem_*.img (Only needed until the device receives mainline support by SODP)

I tried fastboot flash oem_a SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.19_v7b_lena.img
but got an error:

Code:
4.19_v7b_lena.img
Sending 'oem_a' (356640 KB)                        OKAY [  8.431s]
Writing 'oem_a'                                    FAILED (remote: 'Error flashing partition : Volume Full')
fastboot: error: Command failed

Of course I first went through the "flashing without a recovery steps".

Edit: What I understood from the last step of flashing without recovery:
Now you got the AOSP recovery, to please continue with the normal installation

Was that after I'm done with all the steps there, I'm supposed to perform the steps in "flashing with recovery". This would at least explain the need for the OEM files provided. Am I wrong here?

Last edited:

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Can you please explain this step:
fastboot flash oem _a oem_*.img (Only needed until the device receives mainline support by SODP)

I tried fastboot flash oem_a SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.19_v7b_lena.img
but got an error:

Code:
4.19_v7b_lena.img
Sending 'oem_a' (356640 KB)                        OKAY [  8.431s]
Writing 'oem_a'                                    FAILED (remote: 'Error flashing partition : Volume Full')
fastboot: error: Command failed

Of course I first went through the "flashing without a recovery steps".

Edit: What I understood from the last step of flashing without recovery:
Now you got the AOSP recovery, to please continue with the normal installation

Was that after I'm done with all the steps there, I'm supposed to perform the steps in "flashing with recovery". This would at least explain the need for the OEM files provided. Am I wrong here?
That's a tama thread, not lena.
Please follow the aosp build guide on the Sony website.

TheeWolf

Oct 8, 2011
That's a tama thread, not lena.
Please follow the aosp build guide on the Sony website.
You're right, I didn't notice the code words.

As for the build guide, I looked at it but it looks a bit different from your instructions and I prefer to follow yours.

So I'll ask again - once I'm done with Flash the ROM without a recovery steps, am I supposed to do:
fastboot flash oem _a oem_*.img
but replace oem_*.img with SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.14_v7_tama.img?

OR, is flashing the ROM without a recovery enough? In which case, I don't need to care about the SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.14_v7_tama.img? file.

Thank you very much!

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
You're right, I didn't notice the code words.

As for the build guide, I looked at it but it looks a bit different from your instructions and I prefer to follow yours.

So I'll ask again - once I'm done with Flash the ROM without a recovery steps, am I supposed to do:
fastboot flash oem _a oem_*.img
but replace oem_*.img with SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.14_v7_tama.img?

OR, is flashing the ROM without a recovery enough? In which case, I don't need to care about the SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_11_4.14_v7_tama.img? file.

Thank you very much!
Lena or tama? xD

For tama you need to flash the OEM binary.
Sadly tama is now the only qcom xperia platform (and its devices) since xperia x without device trees merged into the Linux kernel, so I think it will take a bit until we get the mainline kernel and getting rid of the OEM file.
(But mainline boots fine to run telnet and having a terminal on the phone)

TheeWolf

Oct 8, 2011
Lena or tama? xD

For tama you need to flash the OEM binary.
Sadly tama is now the only qcom xperia platform (and its devices) since xperia x without device trees merged into the Linux kernel, so I think it will take a bit until we get the mainline kernel and getting rid of the OEM file.
(But mainline boots fine to run telnet and having a terminal on the phone)
Tama :) Like I said, I didn't even notice the code words - I just selected what was on top of the list in the software binaries page. That's why I got to Lena.

Okay, so if I understand you correctly, I have to perform the Flash the ROM without a recovery steps first, and then Installation with a recovery second (since the the first one does not include a step saying to flashing the OEM file). And that recovery is AOSP recovery. Can you please confirm this?

Thanks!

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Tama :) Like I said, I didn't even notice the code words - I just selected what was on top of the list in the software binaries page. That's why I got to Lena.

Okay, so if I understand you correctly, I have to perform the Flash the ROM without a recovery steps first, and then Installation with a recovery second (since the the first one does not include a step saying to flashing the OEM file). And that recovery is AOSP recovery. Can you please confirm this?

Thanks!
if you run stock, you could use stock twrp (fastboot boot) and flash AOSP (and maybe magisk and gapps).
Then instead of booting aosp you boot fastboot and flash oem_a.

TheeWolf

Oct 8, 2011
if you run stock, you could use stock twrp (fastboot boot) and flash AOSP (and maybe magisk and gapps).
Then instead of booting aosp you boot fastboot and flash oem_a.

Thanks for the answer.

I managed to flash the ROM, and have three unrelated questions:
1. I'm missing the ambient display. Is there any way to bring that back?
2. Is there a way to hide the fact this is a custom ROM (even though it's AOSP) from apps? I have an app that does not run.
3. Can I permanently stop the open devices ModemConfig notification?

Thanks!

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Thanks for the answer.

I managed to flash the ROM, and have three unrelated questions:
1. I'm missing the ambient display. Is there any way to bring that back?
2. Is there a way to hide the fact this is a custom ROM (even though it's AOSP) from apps? I have an app that does not run.
3. Can I permanently stop the open devices ModemConfig notification?

Thanks!
  1. I think it isn't part of the core AOSP code.
  2. Maybe magisk hide.
  3. Maybe swiping it away. It never disturbed me, so I never looked for.
    You could also open an issue ticket about it. (But I think it only appears if your mobile provider config file isn't in the sodp database, which prevents you from using IMS (VoLTE/VoWIFI).

You're welcome.

TheeWolf

Oct 8, 2011
Sorry but I've got some more questions (for anyone using this, actually).

1. I've noticed the call volume is incredibly loud. I mean, I'm talking to someone (not on speaker), I lower the volume to it's lowest value, and still it's so loud that not only other people can hear my conversation, but the person on the other side says they hear themselves.
Is this something you also encounter?

2. Am I mistaken or is the camera quality much worse than before?

3. Apps (Magisk and Bitwarden) don't recognize the fingerprint sensor. Why is that?

4. I think there is also a battery drain worse than before. Is this something you also experienced?

5. @MartinX3 everytime I open Magisk, there is a message saying that another, unsupported "su" command is detected. Why is that?

I'm seriously thinking of reflashing Android 10 again...

Last edited:

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Sorry but I've got some more questions (for anyone using this, actually).

1. I've noticed the call volume is incredibly loud. I mean, I'm talking to someone (not on speaker), I lower the volume to it's lowest value, and still it's so loud that not only other people can hear my conversation, but the person on the other side says they hear themselves.
Is this something you also encounter?

2. Am I mistaken or is the camera quality much worse than before?

3. Apps (Magisk and Bitwarden) don't recognize the fingerprint sensor. Why is that?

4. I think there is also a battery drain worse than before. Is this something you also experienced?

5. @MartinX3 everytime I open Magisk, there is a message saying that another, unsupported "su" command is detected. Why is that?

I'm seriously thinking of reflashing Android 10 again...
1. Bug Tracker
2. Bug Tracker
3. It works here, if you can reproduce it and see something in the logs, please open a bug tracker entry
4. Bug Tracker
5. 23.0 works here, if you can reproduce it and see something in the logs, please open a bug tracker entry

MCBuhl

Nov 13, 2009
Stuttgart
Yo, after not being able to build my own sources and some time of hesitation, my xz2c actually is on Android 11. Thank you.
Two things:
- the tan app (dkb tan2go) won't install, as they claim phone is rooted (which it isn't)
- the auto down scrolling of notification panel is still an issue, but better than on stock-10. Someone mentioned this won't happen anymor, can't confirm
Despite, phone's graphics are lagging from time to time, but no pb.

Thanks for giving the opportunity!!!

MartinX3

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2014
Mars
martinx3.github.io
Yo, after not being able to build my own sources and some time of hesitation, my xz2c actually is on Android 11. Thank you.
Two things:
- the tan app (dkb tan2go) won't install, as they claim phone is rooted (which it isn't)
- the auto down scrolling of notification panel is still an issue, but better than on stock-10. Someone mentioned this won't happen anymor, can't confirm
Despite, phone's graphics are lagging from time to time, but no pb.

Thanks for giving the opportunity!!!

Thank you, you're welcome :)

Did you try magisk hide?
Maybe the tan app's message is bad written and checks for the unlock state of the bootloader instead via the google services?

The ui lag is here:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Great work to those involved in getting this upstreamed (although there's a scary bit about a UFS issue that could render the device dead).
    Yes

Btw every Xperia with UFS storage has this UFS bug needing a kernel hack.
    Only the new Xperia 1 III seems to have a properly formatted UFS storage.
    And we can't fix it, since this means to format the entire UFS with the bootloader on it.
    So the hack is in stock, sodp and later in mainline for affected devices.
    @MartinX3 Wow, talk about a factory defect that affects several generations of Xperias, and that needs a workaround nonetheless. One wonders how could this have slipped QA under the "watchful" eyes of their engineers. 🙄
    The UFS flash storage just got formatted in a way the kernel think by default it's garbarge which needs to be formatted first.
    But with the Sony kernel fix the kernel see that it's already a perfect formatted storage.
    So with the kernel fix you can't kill your device.
    I don't know why they formatted it in a way which is not supported by default in the Linux kernel, but only a kid would drop this patch in a kernel port.
    So we're save :D
    btw why camera issue on our xperia xz2 even api2 is lvl 3 supported,no gcam
    working,,can u please share working gcam?
    There is an issue ticket about gcam support.
    The latest changes are made after OEMv7 if I remember correctly.
    So we need to wait for the A12 OEM.
    I'm excited for kernel 4.19 and the new OEM for A12 😁
    A bird twittered to me, that we got a booted 5.14 mainline kernel on the xz2.
    Now features like usb, sdcard, etc gets added.
    The A12 build guide is up and I almost synced A12 AOSP.

Now we need to wait for it to be in a bootable state on tama. :)
    The august release will be delayed to match OEMv6 with its new adreno drivers.
    android-11.0.0_r43 (September security patchlevel)
    OEMv7 support
    Sadly in my life outside of the smartphone stuff my job and my studies ate much time (corona virus/chaos at the university because of the old, internet hating teachers and trouble in the job because corona made our customers crazy).

Seems that arrowOS should start with android 12 (and we probably get kernel 4.19 which should fix our battery drain caused bei the qcom RPMh preventing the real deep sleep).
    So I hope optimistically I can port it now. (the battery drain disturbed me a lot, since I don't want to age my battery).

And I need to port my TWRP on AOSP11.

And some IT projects for my family, since I'm the multi functional cowpigsheep there doing development, server administration, smartphone fixes, etc for them xD