• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Sofia(p)(r)][Recovery][WIP] TWRP 3.4.0.0

Search This thread

Leroy_Sparks

Jun 12, 2018
You have tried by having twrp flashed on your phone though, not thru adb, correct? The user from that one post i linked claimed he was able to do a backup and restore using that method. Although I'd like to get a general consensus that loading twrp from your computer via adb will grant you the ability to perform a proper backup and recovery. Knowing it only works for 1 person isn't enough for me to give it a try
I accessed/executed TWRP via ADB (fastboot boot twrpname) - I did not flash it on the phone. Using a mouse allowed me to select function and "swipe". I'm with you, though - because there doesn't seem to be a solid consensus that restores work, I'm very reluctant to attempt restoring the backup I made. This is the first phone I've had that didn't have documented, fully functional recovery available (surprising considering that it seems to be fairly popular). I used the 3.5.0-0 version BTW.

Reactions: Banana_sam

Leroy_Sparks

Jun 12, 2018
OK. Just as an experiment I decided to try a twrp restore - with mixed results. Here is what I did and results:

I had been running Lineage 17 for the past month or so and decided to try another ROM. So I booted into TWRP-3.5.0-0-rav-sofia using fastboot boot comand (i.e. I have not FLASHED TWRP) and did a backup to my SD card. I then installed a different ROM via fastboot (OmniRom) and got it up and running. I, again, booted into twrp and backed it up. Then - I did a restore of the previous (Lineage 17) system. It seemed to go smoothly until after the restore twrp said it couldn't mount a couple of things. Finally, I rebooted and here's what happened - got the moto logo/orange warning screen a couple of times then a message that asked me to wipe data and I agreed. The phone did the data wipe and rebooted into Lineage (yay), but it was like a new install of Lineage (lost apps, data, microg, etc.).

I trying out CrDroid now and I may try to restore the OmniROM just for giggles. BTW before changing ROMS I backed up everything with OandBackupX.

Reactions: Banana_sam

Beetle84

Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2013
Hervey Bay
Motorola Moto G100 / Edge S
To install gapps zip?
Or can I just boot in to TWRP(without flashing or installing) to install gapps?
I'm currently on Android 10
You can just boot into twrp if you dont want it installed.

My above comment was referring to booting twrp to install it. Theres no need.

To boot twrp: fastboot boot twrp.img

To install: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot flash recovery_b twrp.img

yknip

Jan 4, 2015
I'm puzzled by this twrp.

With twrp 3.5 installed in both slots, and the crdroid4.6 ROM on slot A, I cannot dirty flash (wiped davlik, ART, not system) the crdroid7.7 zip. twrp seems to successfully flash the zip on (the default) slot B, however slot B then boots to fastboot. Slot A appears unchanged. What am I missing?

1. Must I wipe system on slot A or B?
2. Should I install the zip to slot A?
3. Must I first reboot to something other than system after flashing?

Aceofzeroz

I'm puzzled by this twrp.

With twrp 3.5 installed in both slots, and the crdroid4.6 ROM on slot A, I cannot dirty flash (wiped davlik, ART, not system) the crdroid7.7 zip. twrp seems to successfully flash the zip on (the default) slot B, however slot B then boots to fastboot. Slot A appears unchanged. What am I missing?

1. Must I wipe system on slot A or B?
2. Should I install the zip to slot A?
3. Must I first reboot to something other than system after flashing?
From what I've learned recently about flashing roms in this twrp, you have to switch to slot b first and then reboot into twrp again and make sure the active slot is b. Then you can flash your rom to slot a and then switch back to slot a and then flash magisk and gapps if you want.

Reactions: martianmarvel

PhoneFever

Aug 4, 2021
I updated my device to the latest Android 11 (RPES31.Q4U-47-35-5)
Even with screen lock disabled, TWRP 3.4 asks for a password that I don't have, and both TWRP 3.4 and 3.5 can't access any of the files of the device.
Before updating to Android 11, TWRP 3.4 asked me for my pattern and everything worked fine
I think Motorola changed how device encryption works in 11.
XT2041-3 variant if this matters

Last edited:
Reactions: TiTiB

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
I updated my device to the latest Android 11 (RPES31.Q4U-47-35-5)
Even with screen lock disabled, TWRP 3.4 asks for a password that I don't have, and both TWRP 3.4 and 3.5 can't access any of the files of the device.
Before updating to Android 11, TWRP 3.4 asked me for my pattern and everything worked fine
I think Motorola changed how device encryption works in 11.
XT2041-3 variant if this matters
+1 (XT2041-4)

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
In TWRP for pattern unlock I can press the 5x5 or 6x6 buttons... but 4x4 and 3x3 do not work. I remove the pattern in the phone, boot again into TWRP, hit Install and the only apparently correct button is File Manager. Using that it is just spastic. I try to hit 'storage' but it took me to the twrp subdir instead. So I need to go back... buuut, the back and up functions simply do not work.

TWRP for sofia is completely untrustworthy AFAIC -especially- for something as important as writing firmware.

alexp1289

Nov 18, 2011
Moto G Power
So is everything working on this because I'm on Android 11 and I've never unlocked the bootloader or flashed a ROM on this phone. It is my only phone so I don't want to do it if it's not working properly. I have XT2041-4 Retail unlocked model.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Thomas0430 is this the one you're using that @vache linked to? Want to make sure I'm getting the right version of 3.5.0.0

Also it may be appropriate to wait for 3.5.1.0 because as I understand it 3.5.0.0 doesn't flash slot A/B simultaneously which is why there's a report of someone bricking their device a few pages back in this thread.
    I've got this one and it works fine...except if you use android 11 firmware, all our custom roms on a10... Super img can be flashed in twrp ..like all other devices it keeps encryption on data even if you format...I use stock recovery and fastbootd a lot because I'm into the gsi flashing and creating super.img now that we figured out how to flash magisk and gapps plus its more secure with official moto patches on vendor boot.IMG...because any one can change the date on the default prop to look current and they certainly do...I have slowly watched twrp fall off because of google...and really I just use to flash zips and get full root at the terminal ..so I learned how to use DD commands and terminal to pull stock IMG and found that for backups the migrate app is topnotch...whenever I need to switch recovery I flash from in the ROM with smartpack kernel mgr...as long as I'm still rooted I flash twrp back in the kernel mgr after reboot...or PC but less on the PC is best for me
    I've got this one and it works fine...except if you use android 11 firmware, all our custom roms on a10... Super img can be flashed in twrp ..like all other devices it keeps encryption on data even if you format...I use stock recovery and fastbootd a lot because I'm into the gsi flashing and creating super.img now that we figured out how to flash magisk and gapps plus its more secure with official moto patches on vendor boot.IMG...because any one can change the date on the default prop to look current and they certainly do...I have slowly watched twrp fall off because of google...and really I just use to flash zips and get full root at the terminal ..so I learned how to use DD commands and terminal to pull stock IMG and found that for backups the migrate app is topnotch...whenever I need to switch recovery I flash from in the ROM with smartpack kernel mgr...as long as I'm still rooted I flash twrp back in the kernel mgr after reboot...or PC but less on the PC is best for me
    Outstanding! I have done limited test of the twrp 3.5.2-10 that krasevalex made using this (for touchscreen issues some of us have had until he found the alternate supplier/driver fix) and it looks very good.
    Here you go : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x4t6ca8TLf1bNHrQa-jjCN_AhdV2W78u/view?usp=drivesdk
    Boots on sofia (g power), sofiar (g8 power), sofiap (g stylus), sofiap_ao (g pro)

I started the thread, but did not make this build. Everything should work. Thank @vache.
    Here she is boys.

sofia-twrp-3.4.0-0

The touchscreen works, you just need to cycle the screen off then back on with the power button once its booted.

decryption is still iffy a lot of work to do. Had to do some messing around with the image, the build system / device trees are still weird.
    Here you go : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x4t6ca8TLf1bNHrQa-jjCN_AhdV2W78u/view?usp=drivesdk
    Boots on sofia (g power), sofiar (g8 power), sofiap (g stylus), sofiap_ao (g pro)
    Don't fret though. :) I will make it work...

Here is a video so far:....

TWRP-(Android-10) booting on Sofia
    Quick update I did get TWRP to build successfully. Unfortunately it just sits on the boot logo but doesn't go back to fastboot, but that was just a quick see what happens build. I haven't added everything I need to yet. Will work on it more tonight, but progress is good so far. :)