Soft Bricked Oneplus 5 - Virturally Zero storage, accidentally deleted I think.

Search This thread
Jul 1, 2017
Guys i got my oneplus 5 in the mail yesterday and I like it, but I think i ****ed up...big time. please somebody help me out.

i was following this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/oneplus-5-unlock-bootloader-flash-twrp-t3624877
to root my oneplus 5 so i can use Adaway. Ive rooted and installed a custom rom many times on my oneplus one before so I didn't really have any issues.

but then when I got to "Gaining root access" part, I was a little confused because I wasn't sure what step to take, so i Just did the stuff from the top. I think somewhere along the way I ****ed up and for some reason all my folders are gone except for android. (ie downloads, notifications, alarms, ringtones, music, pictures, etc folders are gone)

even when i take a picture, it just disappears because it has nowhere to save to... :(. when I plug it in with file transfer mode, there is literally only 1 folder, look at this picture: http://imgur.com/a/F49v0

is there anything I can do to fix this? or did i just GG no re 540$? I know i'm a ****ing stupid ass ****ing low life piece of **** dumbass **** head.

If worse comes to worse, I still got like 13 days left to return it if possible? Do u think they'll accept a return or replacement from me?

when I go to google and try to download an image, it says It can't be downloaded because of missing SD card. wtf is going on?!

EDIT UPDATE: okay now my phone is stuck on boot screen with the 1+ symbol. any1 know how to help me out?

Last edited:

TikiThePug

Feb 10, 2013
Guys i got my oneplus 5 in the mail yesterday and I like it, but I think i ****ed up...big time. please somebody help me out.

i was following this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/oneplus-5-unlock-bootloader-flash-twrp-t3624877
to root my oneplus 5 so i can use Adaway. Ive rooted and installed a custom rom many times on my oneplus one before so I didn't really have any issues.

but then when I got to "Gaining root access" part, I was a little confused because I wasn't sure what step to take, so i Just did the stuff from the top. I think somewhere along the way I ****ed up and for some reason all my folders are gone except for android. (ie downloads, notifications, alarms, ringtones, music, pictures, etc folders are gone)

even when i take a picture, it just disappears because it has nowhere to save to... :(. when I plug it in with file transfer mode, there is literally only 1 folder, look at this picture: http://imgur.com/a/F49v0

is there anything I can do to fix this? or did i just GG no re 540$? I know i'm a ****ing stupid ass ****ing low life piece of **** dumbass **** head.

If worse comes to worse, I still got like 13 days left to return it if possible? Do u think they'll accept a return or replacement from me?

when I go to google and try to download an image, it says It can't be downloaded because of missing SD card. wtf is going on?!

EDIT UPDATE: okay now my phone is stuck on boot screen with the 1+ symbol. any1 know how to help me out?
Try to reboot into TWRP and format everything, including internal storage. Then flash any ROM and reboot.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to start all over again. Do a complete revert to stock.

1. Download the stock OP5 OOS 4.5.4 zip.
  2. Download OnePlus stock recovery.
  3. Reboot into fastboot/bootloader mode.
  4. Flash stock recovery.
  5. Boot into stock recovery.
  6. Do a full wipe of /system and /data and /data/media (internal storage).
  7. Sideload the full zip you downloaded in step 1 and flash it via stock recovery.
  8. Reboot your phone.

Reactions: onepluslover69
Jul 1, 2017
Try to reboot into TWRP and format everything, including internal storage. Then flash any ROM and reboot.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to start all over again. Do a complete revert to stock.

4. Flash stock recovery.
  7. Sideload the full zip you downloaded in step 1 and flash it via stock recovery.
  8. Reboot your phone.

i'm downloading a rom right now. btw I thought the latest OP5 OOS rom was 4.5.3?

might I ask what exactly does this zip do?

update: solved everything by following khozam's method! that guys a ****ing beast. saved my ass. cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: TikiThePug

sawihsiwi

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
Sideload cannot read zip file

4. Flash stock recovery.
  8. Reboot your phone.

Followed the steps. Everything works fine until sideload. I constantly get error in CMD prompt: cannot read...
I tried removing the zip file extension, dragging the file into command prompt. What am I doing wrong?
I have the same problem as OP where I foolishly deleted storage and now all I have is the android folder on the phone and cannot save files, nor download certain apps from the play store.
Thank you in advance...

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
Followed the steps. Everything works fine until sideload. I constantly get error in CMD prompt: cannot read...
I tried removing the zip file extension, dragging the file into command prompt. What am I doing wrong?
I have the same problem as OP where I foolishly deleted storage and now all I have is the android folder on the phone and cannot save files, nor download certain apps from the play store.
Thank you in advance...

Can you try formating first using the flash tool? If you accedentally deleted all folders even those in the root branch of the phone, It will generate the necessary files on your phone i think. Then you can simply flash twrp using the tool and should see the folders in twrp. Otherwise you can flash the full ota to generate them

Last edited:

TikiThePug

Feb 10, 2013
Thank you in advance...
Theoretically you should also be able to issue the following command in Recovery:
Code:
adb push -p [COLOR="Red"]<full zip path>[/COLOR] /sdcard/
Then select the zip from there. If you still get the read error, can you try rebooting into normal mode and issuing the same command?

Reactions: sawihsiwi

arjunarora

Feb 13, 2017
If anyone ever faces this again, Just follow below mentioned steps..

1: Flash TWRP
2: Got to Wipe and FORMAT data this will Decrypt you... AND let's you access your internal storage again..!
3: Now copy stock rom and FLASH.. This makes you ENCRYPTED again.
4: Now everything should be back to normal, just flash twrp again and enjoy..

chibi

Sep 13, 2006
Go to TWRP ----> select DATA (check it) ---> DONT swipe to wipe but click on REPAIR OR CHANGE FILE SYSTEM and select EXT 4. After that, reboot to twrp and data is recognized as normal sdcard..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4. Flash stock recovery.
    8. Reboot your phone.

4. Flash stock recovery.
    8. Reboot your phone.

i'm downloading a rom right now. btw I thought the latest OP5 OOS rom was 4.5.3?

might I ask what exactly does this zip do?

update: solved everything by following khozam's method! that guys a ****ing beast. saved my ass. cheers
    Thank you in advance...
    Theoretically you should also be able to issue the following command in Recovery:
    Code:
    adb push -p [COLOR="Red"]<full zip path>[/COLOR] /sdcard/
    Then select the zip from there. If you still get the read error, can you try rebooting into normal mode and issuing the same command?