Soft keys build prop edit

Search This thread

l34rn

May 17, 2014
Ok I get it..can you auto hide this with build prop edit ? I mean I can do it with exposed but installing expose module right now is making my device laggy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Syn Ack

Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta
Nvm figured it out.

If you're rooted:

Go to system > usr > keylayout, and open generic.kl with a text editor, find keys 158 and 254 and put a "#" sign in front of both. Save the file and reboot phone. Then go to settings and disable the light.

Last edited:

aholeinthewor1d

Aug 19, 2010
Just an FYI that the build prop edit "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" works to enable the soft keys for anyone interested.

Hey I have been looking around/edited some files in /system/use/keylayout but have not had any luck so far.

I am trying to switch the function of the soft keys. I want a single press to be the "menu" key like it always was and make the long press be the apo switcher. I found App_switch and Menu assigned to button numbers and switched them but all it did was disbale to button. If you have any ideas please respond in here or PM me. I plan to make a guise with pictures etc once I figure it out. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

GoBears

Nov 1, 2011
Hey I have been looking around/edited some files in /system/use/keylayout but have not had any luck so far.

I am trying to switch the function of the soft keys. I want a single press to be the "menu" key like it always was and make the long press be the apo switcher. I found App_switch and Menu assigned to button numbers and switched them but all it did was disbale to button. If you have any ideas please respond in here or PM me. I plan to make a guise with pictures etc once I figure it out. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Yeah, I've never really altered the softkeys through build prop edits. I know there are some Xposed modules to alter the softkeys. Might want to check that out.

Syn Ack

Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta
Put a # in front of keys 158 and 254 once you enable soft keys, This compltely disables the back button and recent buttons at the bottom of the phone. I also disabled the lights for them in settings too.

To enable soft keys you have to type in that line the OP listed at the bottom of the text file.

(You can actually type it anywhere as long as it's on a new line and doesn't have a # in front of it)

Here's my new screen.
e7e7a5a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GoBears

Nov 1, 2011
You can change your soft keys with the Xposed mod "Xperia/AOSP NavBar Buttons"

Yeah I was using that on my M8. I just haven't installed Xposed yet. I'm kind of waiting for SafeStrap so I can make a nice Nandroid without too much crap haha.

Edit: Oh yeah I changed my DPI to 460 and it helped with the overlap in the camera app and others.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone