Soft Modder Section

Search This thread

RohinZaraki

Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys, I've been observing the X8 Dev section and what i've observed is that there are many "developers" releasing their "roms", faster than Kim Kardashian's divorce :)D trust me, THAT was really fast TBH)...and from what I see, things are getting very ugly between know-it-all senior members and wannabe developers...the former accusing the latter that he/she merely themed a MiniCM rom and the latter defending their work, based on the fact that soft-modding is not a crime on xda, so as long as they're free of warez and proper credits are given...

I want your opinions and thoughts on the subject; Should a Soft-Modding Section be opened for these junior/begginer/wannabe developers ?

I for one feel that it should. Soft-modding is the 1st step in learning how to develop. No one should be punushed or banned for doing so...however, I also agree that the DEV forums shouldn't be cluttered with these modded roms... Even I am sick and tired of opening a new thread and reading past the 1st paragraph, saying something like "Hi, this is my first rom on XDA ! I hope you guys like it :) ! My work is based on nAa's MiniCM 2.2.0, with a few "tweaks" to it"...and what makes me even more sick is the amount of negative responses from senior members whom I thought had more ethics and manners...and what DO i always see happening to these threads ? A lock icon on the top right corner (I use tapatalk app :p )...So I want to know, what do you think :) ?

P.S. :YES, I KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER THREAD LIKE THIS NOT TOO LONG AGO BUT IT WAS CLOSED DUE TO THE MEANINGFUL THREAD ENDING UP IN SOME STUPID FLAME WAR ! SO PLEASE, NO TROLLING, HATING, GOING OFF TOPIC OR FLAMING HERE TOO :mad:

Sent from my X8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skrizevski

Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, I've been observing the X8 Dev section and what i've observed is that there are many "developers" releasing their "roms", faster than Kim Kardashian's divorce :)D trust me, THAT was really fast TBH)...and from what I see, things are getting very ugly between know-it-all senior members and wannabe developers...the former accusing the latter that he/she merely themed a MiniCM rom and the latter defending their work, based on the fact that soft-modding is not a crime on xda, so as long as they're free of warez and proper credits are given...

I want your opinions and thoughts on the subject; Should a Soft-Modding Section be opened for these junior/begginer/wannabe developers ?

I for one feel that it should. Soft-modding is the 1st step in learning how to develop. No one should be punushed or banned for doing so...however, I also agree that the DEV forums shouldn't be cluttered with these modded roms...what do you think :) ?

P.S. :YES, I KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER THREAD LIKE THIS NOT TOO LONG AGO BUT IT WAS CLOSED DUE TO THE MEANINGFUL THREAD ENDING UP IN SOME STUPID FLAME WAR ! SO PLEASE, NO TROLLING, HATING OR FLAMING HERE TOO :mad:

+1

hetunandu

May 8, 2011
I totally agree with u rohin, but chk out other forums in xda, all have the basic five sections

General
Q & A
Development
Themes and apps
Accessories

Are u suggesting another section for soft modders?

RohinZaraki

Sep 8, 2011
I totally agree with u rohin, but chk out other forums in xda, all have the basic five sections

General
Q & A
Development
Themes and apps
Accessories

Are u suggesting another section for soft modders?

Yes thats exactly what im proposing....soft modding is not considered DEVELOPING but neither is it as lowly as to be considered THEMING either...i have tried these modded roms...some are merely themed but some are actually better than the originals

IROC_69

May 13, 2011
+1 there should be a soft modding section like they have for samsung galaxy SII

we only have a few base roms and tons of soft modded roms

Vicky26

Feb 22, 2012
I agree with having a separate section.Soft modding is not against the forum rules, while endless flame wars and spamming is. If people want to have it clear on whether a rom is original or tweaked, the best solution is a separate section.

Rahat34

Nov 28, 2011
Chandigarh
Guys we have "themes and apps" section.
What do soft modders do ?
They edit framework-res and system UI
AND thats what themers do.
People should post in themes and apps section.
BUT members want to be "recognized developers" so they post in dev secion(i can understand you guyz)
PS-was getting bored of studying,couldnt leave xda :D

stamatis

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
stamatis∈A, A=∅
I thought that soft moded roms arent acceptable in dev session
why dont you just report those that you see in dev session and you think is soft modded roms?
and no i dont think a new session about soft modded roms should be created
seriously who wants them?!
and if by any chance one of these worth it should be in dev session...

daddy_rhon

Nov 2, 2011
Disagree...Sorry sir...Just like the other said,we have themes & apps section...I saw some works in themes & apps thats like the one you thought...They based their work in the rom & credit to the op of the rom,like petrukgrinder,he based his transparent status in minicm,in that case people recognized him also an x8 contributor & not pain in the ass just like they call them a troller...

zmuhammx

Mar 4, 2012
Guys,
I would like to say yes but I think its not necessary.I mean,me like what these guy doing & me appreciated Them but thats not the way should be.

1.If somebody can fix some bugs or can make a rom better performance why not just cooperate with DEV so their can solved in their next update.
However, there always a few exceptional like:
a)Dev had enough, others can continued exp-what B.Jay do for GDX
b)Make a rom for difference kernel exp-What Devstaf did for ICS stock

2.If somebody can make a rom more beautiful there are 2 options they can post in Theme sec.
a)make a flashable zip exp-what Bakabon19 do for Athojan SDE rom
b)make a CWM/Xrecovery backup-not yet in here but many Chinese forum already practicing it.

So if everybody play theirs role,the add sec need no more.
Thank to Rohin for this thread
Peace

RohinZaraki

Sep 8, 2011
I get why some of you want soft modding is banned...but the fact remains that it isnt illegal to soft mod and share on xda...hope none of you hate me for my replies...im basically sitting on the fence with this...i'll debate with all of you...as for those who agree that soft modding is ok, im asking you, why do you want to see the same thing over & over & over with just a new face ???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just my 2 cents which I've already communicated to the mods:
    Soft mods belong to the apps and themes section of the forum. Also i don't understand why would people want to post a full rom when an update.zip with the changes compared to the rom they base on is simply enough in most of the cases.

Bottom line: the dev forum is currently a zoo and there is hardly any real development at all. Mods are doing their best but they don't have all the time in the world to police everything. Its up to the users to show some respect here.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA

I for one feel that it should. Soft-modding is the 1st step in learning how to develop. No one should be punushed or banned for doing so...however, I also agree that the DEV forums shouldn't be cluttered with these modded roms... Even I am sick and tired of opening a new thread and reading past the 1st paragraph, saying something like "Hi, this is my first rom on XDA ! I hope you guys like it :) ! My work is based on nAa's MiniCM 2.2.0, with a few "tweaks" to it"...and what makes me even more sick is the amount of negative responses from senior members whom I thought had more ethics and manners...and what DO i always see happening to these threads ? A lock icon on the top right corner (I use tapatalk app :p )...So I want to know, what do you think :) ?

P.S. :YES, I KNOW THERE WAS ANOTHER THREAD LIKE THIS NOT TOO LONG AGO BUT IT WAS CLOSED DUE TO THE MEANINGFUL THREAD ENDING UP IN SOME STUPID FLAME WAR ! SO PLEASE, NO TROLLING, HATING, GOING OFF TOPIC OR FLAMING HERE TOO :mad:

Got some report make:

I know how to read Chinese and I dont like using Google Translate. Its not accurate. So I just surfed the Hiapk Chinese forum... and it turns out most of the ROM had been modded and themed from XDA's original ROMs. But, they do have some new ROMs, like iPhone ROM, LewaOS ROM, MIUI ROMs. All are in Chinese though. I am not sure they are English languages included.

The most wicked part of the forum is, after you log in to the forum, and you try to download some ROMs. You will find out that, to download these ROMs, you need VIRTUAL CREDITS. I dont how we earn that, but a ROM cost at least 5 COINS. So, the devs are paid for their work.

Hit The THANKS Button If I Helped You!

Sent From My W8 Using Tapatalk
    Stop that you two. Why focus on haters when there is more happy user thankful to the developer? Instead on focusing about haters go focus on how to fix bugs and how to continue making people happy :)
    I agree with you nAa. And, the forum is not just a zoo, it's a wild jungle here.

Sent From My W8 Using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone