• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Software Update Europe 1.29.401.7

Search This thread

Torc'qua

May 3, 2012
Preston
Not necessarily correct, HTC test the update after the carrier puts its customisations in for the simple reason that if bad software is released it reflects badly on HTC.

HTC could come back and say they are yet to test the software which would point to a 2 week waiting que (typically 1 week from start of testing) or if they have finished testing the software it could be any day.

Also it's not through IMEI, its through Serial Numbers and CID. :cool:

I suppose that's also true.
Been led round in a viscous circle with previous HTC phones and updates. It's either contact HTC which tell you to contact your provider, which then send you backwards.

Half the time I wonder who actually knows the real answer instead of directing it elsewhere.

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
I suppose that's also true.
Been led round in a viscous circle with previous HTC phones and updates. It's either contact HTC which tell you to contact your provider, which then send you backwards.

Half the time I wonder who actually knows the real answer instead of directing it elsewhere.

It's all bullshit, I waited 6 months for Orange to release the Froyo update for my original Desire, only to be stabbed in the back with the release of the Desire HD... :mad:

Torc'qua

May 3, 2012
Preston
It's all bullshit, I waited 6 months for Orange to release the Froyo update for my original Desire, only to be stabbed in the back with the release of the Desire HD... :mad:

You're not the only one.

My previous provide with the Desire HD was Orange.
I've never experienced such bad service in my life. I felt my life slowly degrading whilst on the phone to themselves. Not to mention the service itself disgraceful.

As of update's for the handsets, half the time they didn't know what the hell it was. I remember mentioning Gingerbread to them for the Desire HD, wondering why it wasn't released yet and other providers had it weeks before.

I got a reponse 'what is gingerbread?' ..

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
To be fair, unless you know Android you wouldn't have a CLUE if someone said 'Where's the Gingerbread update' - they'd think you were mad!!

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
You're not the only one.

My previous provide with the Desire HD was Orange.
I've never experienced such bad service in my life. I felt my life slowly degrading whilst on the phone to themselves. Not to mention the service itself disgraceful.

As of update's for the handsets, half the time they didn't know what the hell it was. I remember mentioning Gingerbread to them for the Desire HD, wondering why it wasn't released yet and other providers had it weeks before.

I got a reponse 'what is gingerbread?' ..

At least someone feels the same way as me! I've never rung up for Software Updates, because the way I see it, they aren't really allowed to tell you when its going to be released but also think about it.. you work for Orange, it doesn't necessarily mean that you ENJOY working with phones. It could just be that you desperately need a job and that that's just one of many that's going? The first thing I'd do if I ever went for a branded phone again, would be to immediately de-brand it.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

To be fair, unless you know Android you wouldn't have a CLUE if someone said 'Where's the Gingerbread update' - they'd think you were mad!!

Agreed.

Torc'qua

May 3, 2012
Preston

It may just be my views but surely you would think to work in that sort of environment you need at least a little more knowledge especially when rolling out updates.

It's like working in IT but not knowing what a PC is.

chrisjcks

Sep 26, 2010
Bolton
Regarding live wallpapers bug....

I've wanted this fixed since 1.26, but it seems as though HTC are not listening!

This is part of the OS & should be fixed immediately.

I've used some really old phones with not so great specs, all which managed to run live wallpapers on android without issues.

It should not be stopping at all, period.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Torc'qua

May 3, 2012
Preston
At least someone feels the same way as me! I've never rung up for Software Updates, because the way I see it, they aren't really allowed to tell you when its going to be released but also think about it.. you work for Orange, it doesn't necessarily mean that you ENJOY working with phones. It could just be that you desperately need a job and that that's just one of many that's going? The first thing I'd do if I ever went for a branded phone again, would be to immediately de-brand it.

I suppose you're right. There's many of people out there who just need a job, hate it but can't get by without one.

At least about de-branding you would more than likely get the updates sooner as well as also getting rid of those pesky branded apps they like to clog your phone up with.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
It may just be my views but surely you would think to work in that sort of environment you need at least a little more knowledge especially when rolling out updates.

It's like working in IT but not knowing what a PC is.

Absolutely, but whether they'd know it as GB or Android 2.3 is debatable - training for these sort of things if minimal I'd imagine. It'll be those who have an active interest in their job that'll know the terms

Torc'qua

May 3, 2012
Preston
Absolutely, but whether they'd know it as GB or Android 2.3 is debatable - training for these sort of things if minimal I'd imagine. It'll be those who have an active interest in their job that'll know the terms

You're very much correct in what you say.

It's only users like ourselves who take interest in software,firmware,hardware etc. That provide a difficulty to those unfortunate call center advisors as they have no idea of what we are on about.

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
You're very much correct in what you say.

It's only users like ourselves who take interest in software,firmware,hardware etc. That provide a difficulty to those unfortunate call center advisors as they have no idea of what we are on about.

I think the problem is communication. I currently study Business Studies and I can tell you that communication is probably the key feature to running a successful business, however I can probably ring up Orange about one issue let's say three times and get a monopoly of answers.

Before purchasing my One X I was told by an Orange representative that I shouldn't buy it from The Carphone Warehouse as they purchase their phones of untrustworthy wholesalers. Yeah, okay. I inspected a phone from the Orange Shop and The Carphone Warehouse, both were made in Taiwan.

Here's something even more interesting though, where I live The Carphone Warehouse & Orange are directly next door to each other and their deliveries come through the front of the shop as they don't have rear access. The guy delivering a batch of HTC's took about 20 out of one box, went next door, and gave about 20 out of the same batch to The Carphone Warehouse.

In the end I bought from The Carphone Warehouse, they seem much more 'in-to' things, everyone that you speak to in store seems to have a good knowledge about phones. The woman that served me must have been no older than 21, looked completely like your average woman not a geek or anything, but she was telling me how she had installed all this custom firmware on her Sensation and how it was so much better.

If XDA was Orange support, there would never be any problems. What takes developers on XDA a day seems to take HTC & Orange months. It feel's good to be part of a community that help's one-another, well, the majority anyway ;)

Torc'qua

May 3, 2012
Preston
I think the problem is communication. I currently study Business Studies and I can tell you that communication is probably the key feature to running a successful business, however I can probably ring up Orange about one issue let's say three times and get a monopoly of answers.

Before purchasing my One X I was told by an Orange representative that I shouldn't buy it from The Carphone Warehouse as they purchase their phones of untrustworthy wholesalers. Yeah, okay. I inspected a phone from the Orange Shop and The Carphone Warehouse, both were made in Taiwan.

Here's something even more interesting though, where I live The Carphone Warehouse & Orange are directly next door to each other and their deliveries come through the front of the shop as they don't have rear access. The guy delivering a batch of HTC's took about 20 out of one box, went next door, and gave about 20 out of the same batch to The Carphone Warehouse.

In the end I bought from The Carphone Warehouse, they seem much more 'in-to' things, everyone that you speak to in store seems to have a good knowledge about phones. The woman that served me must have been no older than 21, looked completely like your average woman not a geek or anything, but she was telling me how she had installed all this custom firmware on her Sensation and how it was so much better.

If XDA was Orange support, there would never be any problems. What takes developers on XDA a day seems to take HTC & Orange months. It feel's good to be part of a community that help's one-another, well, the majority anyway ;)

I couldn't agree with you more.

It's forums like these which make the community and realising what phones and their software are capable of especially on the development scale. I just joined today realising what use I get out of the forums, reading about all different issues, fixes, custom firmwares etc. Hoping I could be of use at the same time.

My knowledge varies on phones, but is very expansive in IT as I work as an IT Analyst so they aren't miles apart from each other of the software scale.

With Orange telling you where not to buy from, just sounds like the classic business fights. 'Oh don't get it from here we are much better' when in retrospect, you're the exact same but just want my custom.

As for the average looking lady, appearance can be deceptive as we all well know!

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
I couldn't agree with you more.

It's forums like these which make the community and realising what phones and their software are capable of especially on the development scale. I just joined today realising what use I get out of the forums, reading about all different issues, fixes, custom firmwares etc. Hoping I could be of use at the same time.

My knowledge varies on phones, but is very expansive in IT as I work as an IT Analyst so they aren't miles apart from each other of the software scale.

With Orange telling you where not to buy from, just sounds like the classic business fights. 'Oh don't get it from here we are much better' when in retrospect, you're the exact same but just want my custom.

As for the average looking lady, appearance can be deceptive as we all well know!

Couldn't have put it better! Welcome to the forums, you WILL enjoy your stay :D

Reactions: Torc'qua

Top Liked Posts