Software update from ATT

Search This thread

Bigluc

Oct 1, 2012
So I just got a notification from ATT saying that there is a software update available. Has anyone else gotten this and installed it? Is it jelly bean or a minor update? I haven't tried it myself because I am rooted.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda app-developers app

inick73376

Sep 20, 2011
Joliet
So I just got a notification from ATT saying that there is a software update available. Has anyone else gotten this and installed it? Is it jelly bean or a minor update? I haven't tried it myself because I am rooted.

Yes just got it I'm Rooted & S-OFF
it won't be jelly bean since the ONE X series doesn't have it yet haha just a minor I bet :(

Can someone detail this update?

*Edit* Called AT&T the Update was released October 9th it an 13mb update so yea Minor the girl
on the phone was talking to fast for me to listen what it offers :p

Last edited:

brucegil

Aug 3, 2010
Birmingham
Got it last night. Android version did not change. Couldn't tell for sure if any other numbers updated. It wouldn't kill AT&T to send out an e-mail or text message telling us what the update was for.

3f62011

Nov 3, 2011
Hoboken
www.aqua-calc.com
Sorry bludiamond.

Since my phone is rooted, I did not want to install this update. It's quite upsetting that AT&T forces the update unconditionally.

Anyway, I had let the download to complete, but did not let it to install. The update did prompt me, whether I want it to install now, or later. I had opted for later.

Then, after some Googling, I had deleted the download (from /sdcard/Download), and had un-installed the following services: com.htc.demoflopackageinstaller and com.smithmicro.dm.

Then, I've rebooted the phone. Afterwards, the phone still had a notification, that there's an update ready to be installed. When, selecting the notification, updater did realize that the downloaded file is gone, and had prompted me whether or not I'd like to download the update again, on which, I had responded no. The notification is gone, and AT&T did not prompt me to download and install the update again, at least not yet.

My phone seems to be OK.

Last edited:

anit77

Nov 23, 2008
Atlanta
I was hoping for a new Radio/RIL. That's not what this is...

New Kernel & Recovery. If you are rooted and on a custom rom Do Not run the update. I'm sure the developer of the rom you are on will work to add anything useful to future updates.
The dates on these files is 7/27/12 so it took At$t over to months to test & release.

To delete it look in /cache/fota/OTAPkg.zip
Once gone you shouldn't be bothered by it anymore.

gattech

Dec 22, 2008
San Juan, PR
Have anyone successfuly downloaded and installed it?

What's new? Bluetooth bugs fixes? Usable Voice Dialer? Better battery life?
Sense 4.0?

Please comment.

strose09

Oct 7, 2010
New Jersey

Sense 4.0?

Please comment.

Think the majority of users on here are rooted and running custom roms so they wouldnt' be installing this.

comepso

Dec 3, 2010
I googled the update, and found this on the ATT Support website.

Beginning on October 9, 2012, AT&T and HTC have released an additional software update for the HTC Vivid that will be available via firmware over-the-air (FOTA). This 13MB software package updates the firmware version to 3.26.502.56_R23 and improves sensor performance.

NOTE: Customers must have a data SOC in order to obtain any FOTA updates. Customers who have a data opt-out SOC are not able to receive FOTA updates.

Apatche69

Jul 18, 2010
Napa, CA
For the users in boot loop I just recovered from it. Boot into cwm and clear the cache a couple of times and reboot.

This Fix works. My phone no longer boot loops

Sorry bludiamond.

Since my phone is rooted, I did not want to install this update. It's quite upsetting that AT&T forces the update unconditionally.

Anyway, I had let the download to complete, but did not let it to install. The update did prompt me, whether I want it to install now, or later. I had opted for later.

Then, after some Googling, I had deleted the download (from /sdcard/Download), and had un-installed the following services: com.htc.demoflopackageinstaller and com.smithmicro.dm.

Then, I've rebooted the phone. Afterwards, the phone still had a notification, that there's an update ready to be installed. When, selecting the notification, updater did realize that the downloaded file is gone, and had prompted me whether or not I'd like to download the update again, on which, I had responded no. The notification is gone, and AT&T did not prompt me to download and install the update again, at least not yet.

My phone seems to be OK.

After getting my phone out of the boot loop I tried this and am no longer prompted to update. Thank you for the help

MerlinOfLore

Dec 31, 2007
This Fix works. My phone no longer boot loops

After getting my phone out of the boot loop I tried this and am no longer prompted to update. Thank you for the help

I had the looping issue too. I cleared the cache once and rebooted. Received a message that there was a problem with the update and to wait for the next update. Phone seems to be okay since.

bludiamond

Oct 6, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm unlocked s/on..no custom rom..it was so early, I must have hit the wrong button, so I'm stuck in the loop and can't seem to get into recovery either..ugh

DUTCH Van Atlanta

Nov 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA Metro
I'm stock - not rooted. I did do the download without any problems, although you do have to manually reboot after the update.

It supposedly improves the sensor. Not sure what that means, but that's what the ATT website says. Other than it changing my default ringtone, I don't see any difference.

bludiamond

Oct 6, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Could not get it out of the loop. Took it to the service center and neither could they..they ended up replacing it under warranty..thank goodness. Said that another lady came in with the same issue as well.

Last edited:

WirelessMike

AT&T Upgrade to Nowhere

I'm running stock on the HTC Vivid and got this upgrade pushed out by AT&T. This is the second AT&T upgrade I've done on this phone (the first was to ICS not long after I got the phone).

I ran the update yesterday, which force rebooted my phone and I watched as the upgrade downloaded and installed, then came back up.

NOTHING has changed. I don't know what AT&T supposedly upgraded, but it's certainly nothing noticeable.

I didn't even get the "3.26.502.56_R23" software designation that the AT&T help article says I was supposed to see.

It was literally an upgrade to nowhere. Not sure why I wasted time off the grid and battery power on it.

As usual-- AT&T fail.

At least no harm was done. :)

Mike S.

Sep 20, 2010
I was rooted, stock ROM, and got the notification yesterday. I postponed as much as I could but it finally wouldn't let me anymore and I let it try to update.

Of course, went into a boot loop. I did eventually get the boot looping to stop by reflashing the wxc recovery image and CWM-root, but then my wifi wouldn't work. I suspected some difference in the kernel version or some other borking of the update.

Long story short, I had to re-lock, go back to stock, and re-unlock and root again. Then spend the time (ongoing) to get my environment back. Thank goodness for Titanium backup pro and Dropbox. LOL.

Wish I could bill AT&T for the 18 hours I've spent. And if they push it to me again, I'll be irritated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry bludiamond.

My phone seems to be OK.
    For the users in boot loop I just recovered from it. Boot into cwm and clear the cache a couple of times and reboot.

I actually tried to do that, but the stock ROM that I found online (at HTC's site) was the prior release, before this updated one. So, when I extracted the boot_signed.img from it and flashed it, I was still mis-matched. At that point, I just decided to start over.

Was there something else I could have done?

All you would have had to do was to match the bcm4330.ko file for the kernel that you did flash. You should of been able to get it from the same file/set of files you got the boot.img from. As long as it's ICS, it'll work.
    I actually tried to do that, but the stock ROM that I found online (at HTC's site) was the prior release, before this updated one. So, when I extracted the boot_signed.img from it and flashed it, I was still mis-matched. At that point, I just decided to start over.

Was there something else I could have done?

Reflashing your kernel and/or replacing the bcm4330.ko file in system\lib\modules with the one from your kernel package or ROM zip should get your wifi back up and running without starting over from scratch.

My wifi kept trying to turn on and getting stuck/hung in that state after the update reported it failed. I booted into recovery, and used adb to mount the system directory as R/W to replace the bcmdhd.ko file in /system/lib/modules directory with the version from the ICS March update. After a quick chmod 644 on the file after the copy, I cleared the cache and Dalvik cache. The WiFi problem was resolved on the next reboot.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

I'm also assuming that while the update reported to fail, it seems that some of the new files must have been applied. I noticed that my SW number stayed the same (3.26.502.56 710RD), but the Build number changed to 3.26.502.56_R23 like the release note on AT&T's website indicates.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I'm also assuming that while the update reported to fail, it seems that some of the new files must have been applied. I noticed that my SW number stayed the same (3.26.502.56 710RD), but the Build number changed to 3.26.502.56_R23 like the release note on AT&T's website indicates.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Sense 4.0?

Please comment.

If you're on the stock ROM and have unlocked the bootloader, then you can easily add native voice dialer support. See this post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31897266&postcount=66
    Yes, wiping cache and dalvik did the trick. Rebooted and all was well. No problems since.
    Tried to do the update again, but it said I was all up to date.