Software Update Loop Bricked FireTV

Search This thread

LastDeuS

May 22, 2013
OK here is the story

FireTV 51.1.0.2_user_510058520 2 days old
Rooted and installed busybox everything was fine. So I figured I wanted the latest Rootable version.

Followed this guide (http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-manually-upgrade-or-downgrade-the-amazon-fire-tv/ )

Problems started here: at the end trying to push update.zip to cache got error "cannot stat ‘update.zip’: no such file or directory"
update.zip was in same directory as adb

So I went and Installed Clockworkmod Recovery and pushed it using "adbfire" since it can push files to /sdcard (used this other guide http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/)
Went and rebooted into clockworkmod and that's when I saw the Previous command running trying to install update.zip wich was not there cuz I was never able to push it in the first place.
Well I could not get out of there by any means since I don't have a USB keyboard with me anymore

well I pushed the update.zip to /sdcard (again using adbfire) and used the mv command to transfer the file to /cache aaaaaaand reboot

Now I have my android logo updating the firmware and rebooting the FireTV when reaching the middle of the process just to start again and again

note: I can still connect to my firetv via adb while the screen is on and lose connection when reboots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
OK here is the story

Rooted and installed busybox everything was fine. So I figured I wanted the latest Rootable version.

Followed this guide (http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-manually-upgrade-or-downgrade-the-amazon-fire-tv/ )

Problems started here: at the end trying to push update.zip to cache got error "cannot stat ‘update.zip’: no such file or directory"

So I went and Installed Clockworkmod Recovery and pushed it using "adbfire" since it can push files to /sdcard (used this other guide http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-clockworkmod-custom-recovery-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/)
Went and rebooted into clockworkmod and that's when I saw the Previous command running trying to install update.zip wich was not there cuz I was never able to push it in the first place.
Well I could not get out of there by any means since I don't have a USB keyboard with me anymore

well I pushed the update.zip to /sdcard (again using adbfire) and used the mv command to transfer the file to /cache aaaaaaand reboot

Now I have my android logo updating the firmware and rebooting the FireTV when reaching the middle of the process just to start again and again

note: I can still connect to my firetv via adb while the screen is on and lose connection when reboots.

Thanks in advance

Well you can do
Code:
adb reboot recovery
to get to recovery, Then in one window run
Code:
adb shell
and in then run
Code:
/sbin/recovery-input
and then in another window run adb shell again and this time run killall recovery. Then you can use recovery-input to control recovery. I would recommend pushing one of the prerooted updates, flashing it, doing a factory reset, then reboot and it should be fine. Another option is to use adb sideload.

Reactions: LastDeuS

LastDeuS

May 22, 2013
Well you can do
Code:
adb reboot recovery
Code:
adb shell
and in then run
Code:
/sbin/recovery-input
and then in another window run adb shell again and this time run killall recovery. Then you can use recovery-input to control recovery. I would recommend pushing one of the prerooted updates, flashing it, doing a factory reset, then reboot and it should be fine. Another option is to use adb sideload.

First thanks for your quick reply

the thing is my current state is Recovery looping while the firetv tries to install the new software so what I see is

Amazon logo
Android logo updating but just the blue bar filling
then shuts down
then android logo again and again

the commands you recommended were adb reboot recovery ----> /sbin/sh: not found
adb shell ---->/sbin/sh: not found
/sbin/recovery-input ----> Welcome to recovery input (this one works but I'm not quite where I need to be to control anything)
killall recovery ----> This command just reboots again into the same state

You also mentioned adb sideload but that's after I regain control of recovery right???
Please let me know other options to get out of this loop

Thanks again

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011

the thing is my current state is Recovery looping while the firetv tries to install the new software so what I see is

Amazon logo
then shuts down

/sbin/recovery-input ----> Welcome to recovery input (this one works but I'm not quite where I need to be to control anything)

You also mentioned adb sideload but that's after I regain control of recovery right???

Thanks again

If recovery is still in some kind of a loop, doing rm /cache/recovery/* while in adb shell should clear that up.

LastDeuS

May 22, 2013
If recovery is still in some kind of a loop, doing rm /cache/recovery/* while in adb shell should clear that up.

I tried rm /cache/recovery/* and I think it erases that folder cuz when trying to run same command again it states as no such file or directory but then I wait and reboots again into same loop
again ran killall recovery and nothing reboot again looping T_T

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I tried rm /cache/recovery/* and I think it erases that folder cuz when trying to run same command again it states as no such file or directory but then I wait and reboots again into same loop

I dunno. Recovery shouldn't be doing any looping... With an empty /cache/recovery it should just sit there and do nothing. And it makes it more difficult without a usb keyboard.

LastDeuS

May 22, 2013
I dunno. Recovery shouldn't be doing any looping... With an empty /cache/recovery it should just sit there and do nothing. And it makes it more difficult without a usb keyboard.

I can bring a keyboard from work tomorrow if that would help us troubleshoot cuz right now my keyboard is wireless
I know I've been asking a lot this last hour but can you please point me in the right direction so tomorrow I can Try something else using an usb keyboard?

roligov

Dec 29, 2012
London
Boot to recovery mode with a keyboard. (ALT + PRINT/SYSRQ + i when booting) x 4
Press HOME
Reset Cache
Reboot

or

Press HOME
Reset to factory defaults
Reboot

LastDeuS

May 22, 2013
Press HOME
Reset Cache
Reboot

or

Press HOME
Reboot

Well yesterday I couldn't bring the keyboard but now I have it in front of me but I haven't been able to reproduce the recovery mode with the keyboard combination.
I know it works because the firetv reboots but sometimes goes to the initial amazon logo and sometimes just the same updating android logo

So any suggestions now that we have the keyboard here???

LastDeuS

May 22, 2013
OK I finally figured it out.

All started when I ran the command "echo --update_package=/cache/update.zip > command" to update to a stock ROM but was never able to PUSH the actual file... kept getting error "cannot stat ‘update.zip’: no such file or directory"
THEN
I successfully installed Clockworkmod Recovery (luckily) and when rebooted to recovery I was presented with Clockwmod Recovery asking if sure to install the NON PRESENT "rom.zip"
BUT i didn't have a keyboard with me at that moment and didn't know the "control recovery" command either... SO I thought to find a different way to PUSH the file....
So I used push file function in adbfire to get the file into /sdcard/ and the the mv command to get it to /cache

SO I got my problem right there wich I was able to reproduce today: When you connect to adb during recovery or booting the FireTV you will get this error for most commands including su ----> "/sbin/sh: not found"
NOW if you try to push a file it will say it got pushed but only half of it or some shortcut of it I'm not sure

The thing is with that half pushed file the system now obeys "echo --update_package=/cache/update.zip > command" and starts updating and shuts down reboots and update again, whatever you do it keeps on booting again to the same state(trust me nothing works)

What I did basically with the few seconds I got between reboots I ran "rm -f /cache/*.bin" and rm -f /cache/*.zip to erase all cache folder and then I was again asked to install the file (not there again) and disabled recovery flash
Anyways thanks for all the replys I got really appreciated all your help and keep up the good work ppl I hope this helps someone out there besides me.

I'm now running the latest prerooted rom from rbox thanks again for that
have a good one

question: Is there an actual gui windows app to transfer files to FireTV???
2: Do I need to block updates for this custom rom also or that's already implemented?

Last edited:

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
The pre-rooted ROM blocks updates. You can check using TiBU. I think three files are frozen.

Glad you pulled out of your crash.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
The pre-rooted ROM blocks updates. You can check using TiBU. I think three files are frozen.

Glad you pulled out of your crash.

It doesn't. But if you had dcp blocked before installing it, it'll remain blocked. You should always have dcp blocked.

Note3usr

Oct 3, 2014
Think I bricked mine

Just got my firetv and did the usual ie. rooted, su added , then I Installed Clockworkmod Recovery and tried to upgrade to the latest rootable firmware, using update.zip to /cache and then it just keeps rebooting.

No amazon screen, goes to Andriod loads 1/3 of the way andf reboots, over and over.
picture attached

Cant adb to it , when doing the alt+print screen+i with my keyboard just reboots it faster

Think i'm offically bricked and its a bummer , be careful when changing firmware with CWR and sending your update.zip .

I dont know where it went wrong but it did :eek:

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 67

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Just got my firetv and did the usual ie. rooted, su added , then I Installed Clockworkmod Recovery and tried to upgrade to the latest rootable firmware, using update.zip to /cache and then it just keeps rebooting.

No amazon screen, goes to Andriod loads 1/3 of the way andf reboots, over and over.
picture attached

Cant adb to it , when doing the alt+print screen+i with my keyboard just reboots it faster

Think i'm offically bricked and its a bummer , be careful when changing firmware with CWR and sending your update.zip .

Don't use update.zip and don't put it in /cache. Since so many people seem to be screwing up by doing that, I'm going to disable the automatic flashing in the next version. As for not being able to adb to it, it's probably using a different ip than what you are expecting. In every instance of people doing this, adb has always worked. Then just rm whatever you put in /cache. Next time use sideload or put it in /sdcard.

Reactions: {ParanoiA}

Note3usr

Oct 3, 2014
Don't use update.zip and don't put it in /cache. Since so many people seem to be screwing up by doing that, I'm going to disable the automatic flashing in the next version. As for not being able to adb to it, it's probably using a different ip than what you are expecting. In every instance of people doing this, adb has always worked. Then just rm whatever you put in /cache. Next time use sideload or put it in /sdcard.

I send the update.zip to the ftv with Amazon FireTV Utility App and it looked like it went all the way through , by default isnt that where it send it to ? /cache

Ive been trying to ping the ip , or shell to it but how much times could I have when it just keeps cycling. I dont think its possible to adb to it at this point as I get the attached screen for like 10 seconds or something it will just hold at the all white amazon logo if i'm screwing around with the keyboard combantions , i'm just stuck at this point and dont wanna keep burning hours if i cant go further.

I'm assuming its trying to load whatever is in the /cache folder which is either nothing or ave an update.zip file no idea

thanks for the reply as i will try some more to adb in

symphonix

Jun 12, 2008
I am in a similar boat. I tried to install "rom.zip" per the instructions here http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-install-a-custom-rom-image-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/
but it would not install it from CWM. It would abort the installation instantly. I read another thread where someone wasn't able to do something through ADB Shell because of SU permissions. I tried to uninstalled it and sideloaded SuperSU again. When I accessed it instead of clicking on "Normal" I chose the other option. Well, it's not stuck in the same loop as mentioned here.

I see the Amazon logo briefly, then it shows the android logo and reboots. It disconnects for a few seconds with the TV saying there is no HDMI connection and then shows the amazon logo shortly after again. I can no longer ADB into it.

Please help.

LastDeuS

May 22, 2013
I send the update.zip to the ftv with Amazon FireTV Utility App and it looked like it went all the way through , by default isnt that where it send it to ? /cache

Ive been trying to ping the ip , or shell to it but how much times could I have when it just keeps cycling. I dont think its possible to adb to it at this point as I get the attached screen for like 10 seconds or something it will just hold at the all white amazon logo if i'm screwing around with the keyboard combantions , i'm just stuck at this point and dont wanna keep burning hours if i cant go further.

I'm assuming its trying to load whatever is in the /cache folder which is either nothing or ave an update.zip file no idea

thanks for the reply as i will try some more to adb in

Hey your problem is really similar to mine and what I did was connect to adb in between the loops and erase all cache
try searching on your router or do a scan on your network and find the correct ip address for the firetv

also don't worry about not being able to SU just erase cache using "rm -f /cache/*.bin" and "rm -f /cache/*.zip"

then it will ask for the actual file and just choose "not to install" then "disable recovery flash"

pd: Don't try to enter recovery by keyboard combinations it's useless trust me I tried A LOT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK here is the story

Thanks in advance

Well you can do
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    Code:
    adb shell
    and in then run
    Code:
    /sbin/recovery-input

Amazon logo
    then shuts down

Thanks again

Press HOME
    Reset Cache
    Reboot

or

Press HOME
    Reboot

picture attached