[solution] couldn't install app in usb and sd card in 4.4. Kitkat roms

Search This thread

rarjonillo

Oct 21, 2012
Sevilla
To all KITKAT ROM USERS having problems in installing apps from play store:

If you have tried to install an app and got an error message: COULDN'T INSTALL IN USB STORAGE OR SD CARD,

1. DOWNLOAD and INSTALL SELINUX MODE CHANGER from play store. (Make sure that you have supersu installed and your phone rooted obviously). Grant permission access to SELinux mode changer when supersu prompts you.
2. OPEN SELINUX MODE CHANGER AND CHANGE SELINUX permission to PERMISSIVE.
3. INSTALL THE APP which you wanted for your phone.

Enjoy.;)
N.B. You can change the permission to ENFORCING after installing the app you wanted.

Last edited:

rarjonillo

Oct 21, 2012
Sevilla
Omni rom don't have selinux
so how i install the app?

HI Fighting Dreamer. Omnirom has SELinux. But its mode in Android 4.4 is set to ENFORCING by default. I suspect that this is one of the reasons why we get the error message upon installing some apps which worked for previous android versions and rom.
Anyway, just download SELinux mode changer from playstore and follow the above instructions then install the app which gave you the error message. Update me if it worked for you. Good luck:)

Last edited:

Mll4eveR.

Mar 25, 2012
This worked before the 4.4.1 is implanted. I'm not sure if it's just me but on the latest build of Omni rom this solution didn't work out.

rarjonillo

Oct 21, 2012
Sevilla
This worked before the 4.4.1 is implanted. I'm not sure if it's just me but on the latest build of Omni rom this solution didn't work out.

Sorry to hear that. But in my case, the app which gave problem in omni 4.4 did not disappear in 4.4.1. In case it helps, I remember updating the rom to 4.4.1 it with SE Linux mode in "permissive".

Mll4eveR.

Mar 25, 2012
Sorry to hear that. But in my case, the app which gave problem in omni 4.4 did not disappear in 4.4.1. In case it helps, I remember updating the rom to 4.4.1 it with SE Linux mode in "permissive".

Well I guess I'll try to install 4.4 and enable "permissive" mode and update to 4.4.1 to see if it works. Thanks for the tip.

Mll4eveR.

Mar 25, 2012

Well I just flashed 4.4 and set SE Linux mode in "permissive" and updated to 4.4.1. The mode appeared to be "permissive" indeed in 4.4.1 but somehow the "couldn't install app in usb and sd card" error persisted.

colorprint

Apr 14, 2008
I have the same problem... CM11 4.4.1, SELinux is permissive, but still have the problem with SD

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

In logcat I see errors like this:
Failed to create secure container smdl2tmp1
Error creating imagefile (read-only file system)
ASEC image file creation failed (Read-only file system)
Failed to create container smdl2tmp1
No content provider found for permission revoke
Installation error code: -18

rarjonillo

Oct 21, 2012
Sevilla
Well I guess I'll try to install 4.4 and enable "permissive" mode and update to 4.4.1 to see if it works. Thanks for the tip.

I have the same problem... CM11 4.4.1, SELinux is permissive, but still have the problem with SD

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

In logcat I see errors like this:
Failed to create secure container smdl2tmp1
Error creating imagefile (read-only file system)
ASEC image file creation failed (Read-only file system)
Failed to create container smdl2tmp1
No content provider found for permission revoke
Installation error code: -18

I think it's high time to report this to ryuinferno and jiangyi (developers of the CM11 and omni roms respectively).It may be caused by either the rom or still the specific app since there are some which are still not working with the 4.4 structure http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/331321-apps-do-not-work-currently-n5-4-4-a.html.
I'll report this. Thanks!

colorprint

Apr 14, 2008
This can be resolved if to remount the /storage folder to r/w with Root Explorer.
But after reboot it will not work again. So it should be fixed in the firmware...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To all KITKAT ROM USERS having problems in installing apps from play store:

If you have tried to install an app and got an error message: COULDN'T INSTALL IN USB STORAGE OR SD CARD,

1. DOWNLOAD and INSTALL SELINUX MODE CHANGER from play store. (Make sure that you have supersu installed and your phone rooted obviously). Grant permission access to SELinux mode changer when supersu prompts you.
    2. OPEN SELINUX MODE CHANGER AND CHANGE SELINUX permission to PERMISSIVE.
    3. INSTALL THE APP which you wanted for your phone.

Enjoy.;)
    N.B. You can change the permission to ENFORCING after installing the app you wanted.
    Thx very much. Gonna try this after work.

Sent from my fat iDevice using Tapatalk HD
    This is also how to get Cydia Substrate working on 4.4

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 4