• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[SOLUTION] External_SD Writable Fix on Kitkat 4.4

Search This thread

TecknoFreak

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 20, 2011
Deltona
Hello guys after searching and searching for all the Ported CM and AOSP 4.4 roms looking for a fix to external sd cards to be able to write I came to the frustrating conclusion that there is nothing yet posted to address this.

So I went into the files system to look into it to try to find anything suspicious that is bugging out the ext_sd.
I found that the platform.xml have some external sd writable properties I see that is missing a line so apps can write to the external_sd

Here is the fix;

1. Get or Download Root Explorer app or any File Manager with ROOT access from the PlayStore to be able to access the system files.
  2. Locate the platform.xml file in the system/etc/permissions folder.
  3. Create a backup of the original file before you go any further in case you need to revert back.
  4. Either open this file up on your phone or copy it to your PC for editing with Notepad++.
  5. At the file open, scroll down until you find a row beginning name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” >, I believe is on line 71 in the file.
  6. On a new line under lines” and “, you need to add , and save the file.
  7. Just make sure you keep the line right below the other ones like shown in the picture below for organize purposes.

It should loom like this
Code:
    <permission name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

<group gid="sdcard_rw" />

<group gid="media_rw" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.ACCESS_ALL_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

<group gid="sdcard_all" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >

<group gid="media_rw" />

</permission>

Done, save the changes, or copy the file back from your PC, and overwrite the original version.
Set permissions
Reboot your phone and the fix will be applied.

This Method should work on any device except for the already edited file attached.

If this have help in any way please a Thank and a credit will be great

Attachments

• platform.rar
    1.8 KB · Views: 7,192
Last edited:

pcarenza

Jan 10, 2013
Chattanooga
Hello guys after searching and searching for all the Ported CM and AOSP 4.4 roms looking for a fix to external sd cards to be able to write I came to the frustrating conclusion that there is nothing yet posted to address this.

So I went into the files system to look into it to try to find anything suspicious that is bugging out the ext_sd.
I found that the platform.xml have some external sd writable properties I see that is missing a line so apps can write to the external_sd

Here is the fix;

1. Get or Download Root Explorer app or any File Manager with ROOT access from the PlayStore to be able to access the system files.
  3. Create a backup of the original file before you go any further in case you need to revert back.
  4. Either open this file up on your phone or copy it to your PC for editing with Notepad++.
  5. At the file open, scroll down until you find a row beginning name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” >, I believe is on line 71 in the file.
  6. On a new line under lines”<group gid="sdcard_r" /> and <group gid=”sdcard_rw” />“, you need to add <group gid=”media_rw” />, and save the file.
  7. Just make sure you keep the line right below the other ones like shown in the picture below for organize purposes.

sd_fix_44_zps70385796.jpg

Done, save the changes, or copy the file back from your PC, and overwrite the original version.

This Method should work on any device except for the already edited file attached.
Now looking at the system files to try increase network signal to stock signal strength and LTE

Thanks for finding this! We need to remember to add this to source....

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Thanks, good find. Submitted this as a pull request to the dev team, giving you credits in the commit message. Also starting a new kk build with that included and whatever AOSP updates have happened.....I haven't bothered checking, but I noticed a few updates during the repo sync.

Last edited:
Reactions: TecknoFreak

TecknoFreak

Feb 20, 2011
Deltona
Thanks skeevy, i dont have a github so I couldnt. I was actually waiting for you to tell you.lol

Sent from my MB886 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here is the fix;

6. On a new line under lines” and “, you need to add , and save the file.

It should loom like this
    Code:
        <permission name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

<group gid="media_rw" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.ACCESS_ALL_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

<group gid="sdcard_all" />

</permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >

<group gid="media_rw" />

</permission>

Set permissions

Here is the fix;

6. On a new line under lines”<group gid="sdcard_r" /> and <group gid=”sdcard_rw” />“, you need to add <group gid=”media_rw” />, and save the file.

sd_fix_44_zps70385796.jpg

Now looking at the system files to try increase network signal to stock signal strength and LTE

Thanks for finding this! We need to remember to add this to source....
    So here is my result/

I am just enable to stored the new platform.xml .

when the original one is compressed I can check effectively on 3 different explorer that it has been saved on the system.
    But after rebooting no change on the original xml as I was able few days ago .... !!!!!

I have made a full wipe and a full clean installation starting with the stock ROM and aplly the OTA 3.06.708.3

So I have no idea how I can keep the platform.xml and store it really like I did few days ago in the Bs .

need help ... and to confirm that I am rooted with up-date SuperSU v1.93.

thanks .. again
    ok in that case lets delete it and add the new modified one ok.

Just go to recovery and flash the zip attached made just for your device or at least made from the provided platform from custom rom by maximus.

Let me know if it work for you ok
    Don't quote the whole op man really?
    But good job man definitely gonna try it.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX
    Thank you, it worked fine :)