• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. To discuss, report bugs and other issues, use this thread.

Solution for:HTC Desire back button (and others) not working good after a while

nounours_32

Aug 22, 2011
Dear all,

I'd like to share a solution with the global HTC Desire community to the "buttons not working properly" issue.
My problem was that after a few months of use, some buttons of my HTC Desire began to not be as responsive as before.
It started by the "back button" and then the "home button" ; I had to push harder on it to get it work.

I saw several topics on this subject and no one proposed a solution that was really working.
Some people were saying that it was a software issue but as I had changed everything on my Desire since the first day I got this issue, I was sure it was hardware related.

I was about to follow the disassembly tutorial on youtube to have a look at the buttons more accurately but my father proposed to use a "moisture remover" before.
The product is this one but I'm sure some equivalent can be found:

MicroCare MCC-DC1 - VeriClean™ Flux Remover - 10 oz Aerosol Can

Basically, from what I understood, it helps to dry the parts where you use it (might help also from swimming pool issue...).

We turned off the phone, and used it directly on the buttons, trying to get the product inside (the buttons are quite loose so it was definitely feasible).
I turned on the phone 1min later and I'm still very impressed of the result.

Every button are now working properly (no need to press harder) and they react like the first day I got my phone. This is is very impressing and for all who might have the same issue than me I'd like to see if it works for everyone. It seems that my phone got wet some day (which doesn't surprise me at all) and the wetness never left, messing with the buttons.
Let us know if I'm right !

Cheers !

mattg

Jan 18, 2007
Thanks for the tip. Had the same problem with my year old Desire. I just tried this with some PCB & Flux cleaner from Maplin (£3.99) and so far it seems to working much better.

Will see how long it lasts.

jobano

Sep 10, 2010
I'm based in Sydney, Australia
Following your advice I found a similar product in a Auto shop
I bought a can of Contacts Cleaner, non conductive, plastic safe and leaving no residue

AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY

THANK YOU SO MUCH

biggyt

Nov 23, 2010
I had this trouble and found an app called 'Button Savior' which displays an icon on the screen that when tapped displays a 'strip' of buttons onscreen (Home, Menu, Back etc)

It requires root for full functionality and as I am rooted I don't know what functionality it would have for un-rooted phones.

Reactions: Bingley

biggyt

Nov 23, 2010
It has Home, Menu, Power, Back, Phone, Search and Camera buttons.

There is also an app callled 'Volume Widget' which allows you to put a widget on a screen to turn up or down the volume for Call/Music/Ringer etc.

mrtiggleworth

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks for the tip. Had the same problem with my year old Desire. I just tried this with some PCB & Flux cleaner from Maplin (£3.99) and so far it seems to working much better.

Will see how long it lasts.
Used this and worked a treat. did two attempts as didn't want to cover the phone, only the buttons which weren't working. Now my buttons are working like new. :D

vadimgutu

Aug 21, 2012
Dear all,

I'd like to share a solution with the global HTC Desire community to the "buttons not working properly" issue.
My problem was that after a few months of use, some buttons of my HTC Desire began to not be as responsive as before.
It started by the "back button" and then the "home button" ; I had to push harder on it to get it work.

I saw several topics on this subject and no one proposed a solution that was really working.
Some people were saying that it was a software issue but as I had changed everything on my Desire since the first day I got this issue, I was sure it was hardware related.

I was about to follow the disassembly tutorial on youtube to have a look at the buttons more accurately but my father proposed to use a "moisture remover" before.

Basically, from what I understood, it helps to dry the parts where you use it (might help also from swimming pool issue...).

We turned off the phone, and used it directly on the buttons, trying to get the product inside (the buttons are quite loose so it was definitely feasible).

Every button are now working properly (no need to press harder) and they react like the first day I got my phone. This is is very impressing and for all who might have the same issue than me I'd like to see if it works for everyone. It seems that my phone got wet some day (which doesn't surprise me at all) and the wetness never left, messing with the buttons.

Cheers !
Man, your father is a genius. It worked perfect for me, got myself a KONTAKT LR spray (easier to find in switerland) which does the job at 100%, my back button is working perfect now, the volume button is also like new. Thank you guys.

hansiman2

Sep 19, 2012
Yes !

Dear all,

Cheers !

Yes ! It really works!

I have a HTC Desire brown and my Home, Menu and volume down buttons were barely working.

I used MicroCare MCC-DC1 - VeriClean™ Flux Remover - 10 oz Aerosol Can
because the suggested product above is not available here in Belgium.

I removed the back panel and the battery. Then carefully sprayed some flux remover on the malfunctioning buttons, waited a minute and done!

Thanks so much to you and your dad for sharing this solution !
I can really recommend it to everyone with this problem.

dunel

Dec 6, 2012
Dell Venue pro

My back button is starting to die too!

Will definitely look into the solutions posted in this thread!
Dear all,

Cheers !

Hi,
I had the same problem on my dell venue pro the letters E, I, D, L and X did not, even when I pressed so hard, but as you recommended I had to cleaned up and surprise...it worked and still doing.....thanks a lot!

ComptUnix

Jan 22, 2012
Dear all,

Cheers !
how you that.. i too facing same problem.