[SOLVED] ADB Bootloader driver -- can't flash Zenfone AR, waiting for devices

Search This thread

TheDoshu

Mar 7, 2011
In a nutshell, i can't speak to the phone once it's in the bootloader -- i was looking to flash recovery with unofficial TWRP.

The bootloader was sucessfully unlocked with the ASUS app and i've downloaded all the drivers i could find -- including universal adb drivers and qualcomm drivers.

When the phone is in Android OS and USB debugging, it seems detected just fine (device management) and it's serial num is listed when the "adb devices" command is run.

"adb reboot bootloader" works just fine and the device boots in bootloader mode (you can see the "unlocked" state).

Here is the problem: now the device no longer detected in device management so when i run, for example, "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img", it can't find the device and just sits there waiting.

Stuff i've tried:
- Give the device the path of a ton of different drivers (sometimes even same drivers from diff sources) = FAIL
- Choose the device driver myself in device management (picked Android device -> Android Bootloader Driver) = FAIL**

**Although the flashing command ran, no recovery was found on the phone and "adb devices" listed nothing -- fastboot did try to flash... something.

Sending 'recovery' (18672 KB) OKAY [ 0.623s]
Writing 'recovery' OKAY [ 0.203s]
Finished. Total time: 0.920s

I'm at wit's end and would not mind if it was something really simple/obvious that i forgot. :D

EDIT:
Forgot to mention OSs. The operations listed above were tried in Windows 10 and Windows 7.

[SOLVED]
I finally managed to get the phone talking by using Linux -- Ubuntu running in virtualbox with adb tools/libraries.
- Put phone in bootloader mode
- Connected to PC
- Connected USB device "Google Android" to the VM
- Presto!

Maybe there was some conflict with previous drivers on my Windows machines.

Last edited: