[SOLVED] aptX support for the Note 3 (US/European/Korean version confirmed)

Search This thread

Cavcalade

Jul 11, 2012
You can run "adb logcat" from a PC if you have USB debugging enabled, I don't think that requires root.

Thanks! I will try that.

It worked!

Here's my log and the part we've all been waiting for :)

D/CODEC_IF( 2864): codec_if_open: opening libbt-codec_aptx.so...

D/CODEC_IF_MOD( 2864): codec_open: codec_open

D/CODEC_IF_MOD( 2864): codec_open: apt-x encoder initialized successfully

D/CODEC_IF_MOD( 2864): codec_open: version : 1.0.1.0

D/CODEC_IF_MOD( 2864): codec_open: build : AND2.3-000

Last edited:

td854

Jun 4, 2010
Thanks! I will try that.

It worked!

I don't get any lines like that in my ADB, I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong or what. Plug phone into USB, start adb logcat and dump to a file, connect headphones and play music. I don't even get a line with D/CODEC etc. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Edit: Just tested with a Note 2 which surely has Apt-x and it doesn't show up, in addition I finally got a response from the manufacturer of these headphones and they said Apt-X does not work with these headphones on phones, only on standalone transmitting devices because of the headset/mic part of the device. I'm not sure why they didn't allow you to toggle between apt-x and a2dp like the sony headphones I tried previously do. The good news is I can reprogram them to allow apt-x with phones, I just have to get a device to reprogram them, I'll get back to this thread once I manage all that.

Last edited:

Pierre118

Apr 13, 2011
The Hague
Thanks! I will try that.

It worked!

What type of headphone you own?

Cavcalade

Jul 11, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: Pierre118

Pierre118

Apr 13, 2011
The Hague
I don't get any lines like that in my ADB, I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong or what. Plug phone into USB, start adb logcat and dump to a file, connect headphones and play music. I don't even get a line with D/CODEC etc. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Edit: Just tested with a Note 2 which surely has Apt-x and it doesn't show up, in addition I finally got a response from the manufacturer of these headphones and they said Apt-X does not work with these headphones on phones, only on standalone transmitting devices because of the headset/mic part of the device. I'm not sure why they didn't allow you to toggle between apt-x and a2dp like the sony headphones I tried previously do. The good news is I can reprogram them to allow apt-x with phones, I just have to get a device to reprogram them, I'll get back to this thread once I manage all that.

I also have the Bluedio R+, hope you can find a way to use apt-x on this headphone.

MaxKamis

Dec 15, 2006
Kyiv
AAC over Bluetooth Support

Dears,
I would like to buy Parrot Zik bluetooth earphones for my Galaxy Note 3 (Octa). But Parrot Zik doesn't support aptX codec, and also they have only 2.1 + EDR bluetooth version. Parrot service desk told me that the earphones support AAC codec over Bluetooth.
Standart SBC codec of course is also supported, but it has lower quality.

Does Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Octa) support AAC codec over Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cavcalade

Jul 11, 2012
Dears,
I would like to buy Parrot Zik bluetooth earphones for my Galaxy Note 3 (Octa). But Parrot Zik doesn't support aptX codec, and also they have only 2.1 + EDR bluetooth version. Parrot service desk told me that the earphones support AAC codec over Bluetooth.
Standart SBC codec of course is also supported, but it has lower quality.

Does Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Octa) support AAC codec over Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance!

Hi MaxKamis,

According to their website, they do support the AAC codec. But I'm not sure if it is supported via bluetooth.

Audio
Codec : MP3, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB/WB, Vorbis, FLAC(*), WAV(*)
(*) Ultra High Quality Audio (~192KHz, 24 bit) support

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote3-gear/spec.html

Something else. If you consider spending that much on headphones, I encourage you to look at the Harman/Kardon BT headphones. Same price range and it supports aptX. Truly awesome headphones.

UPDATE:

HOLY CRAP: If you are quick, at amazon.com they currently sell for $119. That's a very good price. I paid €250 (~$340) in 2012 in Germany.

Harman/Kardon BT http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-BT-Headphones-Technology/dp/B00A3R3U2U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391728578&sr=8-2&keywords=harman+kardon+bt

UPDATE 2: They were quick. Changed the price back to $199.

Last edited:

dsf3g

Mar 31, 2009
Hi MaxKamis,

According to their website, they do support the AAC codec. But I'm not sure if it is supported via bluetooth.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote3-gear/spec.html

Something else. If you consider spending that much on headphones, I encourage you to look at the Harman/Kardon BT headphones. Same price range and it supports aptX. Truly awesome headphones.

UPDATE:

HOLY CRAP: If you are quick, at amazon.com they currently sell for $119. That's a very good price. I paid €250 (~$340) in 2012 in Germany.

Harman/Kardon BT http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-BT-Headphones-Technology/dp/B00A3R3U2U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391728578&sr=8-2&keywords=harman+kardon+bt

UPDATE 2: They were quick. Changed the price back to $199.

I bought the wired HK headphones for $99 a while back and they are far and away my favorite headphones. Heard them at an Apple store and they sounded better than everything else they had on display (Audio Technicas, Bang & Olufsen, Bowers & Wilkins... to say nothing of the awful, bass heavy Beats). These are closed headphones, meaning that they don't leak a lot of sound for others to hear, but they have a very open sound. Closed headphones can sometimes sound like you're listening to music in a tiny broom closet. These are much more concert hall sized in terms of the expansiveness of the sound. If I could score the BT versions for $119, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

CehowardNote3

Nov 5, 2013
I bought the wired HK headphones for $99 a while back and they are far and away my favorite headphones. Heard them at an Apple store and they sounded better than everything else they had on display (Audio Technicas, Bang & Olufsen, Bowers & Wilkins... to say nothing of the awful, bass heavy Beats). These are closed headphones, meaning that they don't leak a lot of sound for others to hear, but they have a very open sound. Closed headphones can sometimes sound like you're listening to music in a tiny broom closet. These are much more concert hall sized in terms of the expansiveness of the sound. If I could score the BT versions for $119, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

I purchased the Sony MDR 10RBT, which sell for $250/$199.95 but were on sale for $149.95, and they support Aptx.. I have a Note 3, but have no idea of when it Aptx is activated. The Sony MDR 10RBT, in my opinion are awesome. I also ordered the Bluedio R+ Legends. They supposed to have Aptx, but if one would read closer, it is deactivated. However, one could download their program and activate.. It could be that the Aptx in the Note 3 works by default. If it senses and Aptx device connected to it, activates automatically.

CehowardNote3

Nov 5, 2013
Bumping up this thread, because I have dwelled further into this aptx..

First off, the Note does have aptx...

I have the Sony MDR 10RBT, and you have to turn on Sound Quality Mode on these headphones by holding down the power and the +volume button.The headphones acknowledges that is ready to recieve aptx by three blue flashes. I have Harman Kardon BT, and the aptx comes on automatically when connected to a aptx device like the Note 3. The Harman Kardon will flash 4 times when aptx is activated..

My questions is this, will a aptx capable heaphones sound better than non-aptx headphones when the source has aptx??

Example again, which headphone would sound better, the Sony MDR 10RBT which has aptx or the AKG K845BT which does not have aptx??

burrzoo

Aug 10, 2007
Of course, I and every other backer have not actually heard these new bluetooth in-ear headphones in person but they sound SO promising that I'm in for one. Check out "The Dash" project on Kickstarter here.
I am always on the hunt for the best BT Headphones that would be extremely portable and not over-the-ear and these seem so promising!

What do you all think about them?

CehowardNote3

Nov 5, 2013
Of course, I and every other backer have not actually heard these new bluetooth in-ear headphones in person but they sound SO promising that I'm in for one. Check out "The Dash" project on Kickstarter here.
I am always on the hunt for the best BT Headphones that would be extremely portable and not over-the-ear and these seem so promising!

The in ear buds seems to be awesome.. In addition, make my point valid, that anything going bluetooth these days must have aptx to be competitive.

Reactions: burrzoo

markyboy81

Aug 19, 2013
Bumping up this thread, because I have dwelled further into this aptx..

First off, the Note does have aptx...

I have the Sony MDR 10RBT, and you have to turn on Sound Quality Mode on these headphones by holding down the power and the +volume button.The headphones acknowledges that is ready to recieve aptx by three blue flashes. I have Harman Kardon BT, and the aptx comes on automatically when connected to a aptx device like the Note 3. The Harman Kardon will flash 4 times when aptx is activated..

My questions is this, will a aptx capable heaphones sound better than non-aptx headphones when the source has aptx??

Example again, which headphone would sound better, the Sony MDR 10RBT which has aptx or the AKG K845BT which does not have aptx??

I'm a bit confused about this. Whilst I don't doubt for a second that the Note 3 has apt-x I can't understand why there doesn't seem to be any mention of this in the specs, or on the CSR website?
Also, the Samsung galaxy s5 doesn't seem to support apt-x (according to specs), I wonder if it actually does though..

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

CehowardNote3

Nov 5, 2013
I'm a bit confused about this. Whilst I don't doubt for a second that the Note 3 has apt-x I can't understand why there doesn't seem to be any mention of this in the specs, or on the CSR website?
Also, the Samsung galaxy s5 doesn't seem to support apt-x (according to specs), I wonder if it actually does though..

I think Samsung caused that to be confusing by putting the apt-x logo on some boxes in some countries, and not putting the logo on boxes in some other countries.

l can assure you that the Note 3, Note 2, S3, S4 and surely this new S5 has aptx no matter whether it is on the box or not..

markyboy81

Aug 19, 2013
I think Samsung caused that to be confusing by putting the apt-x logo on some boxes in some countries, and not putting the logo on boxes in some other countries.

l can assure you that the Note 3, Note 2, S3, S4 and surely this new S5 has aptx no matter whether it is on the box or not..

That's good to know as if they didn't it would be a backwards step!
I'd just have thought they'd want to show off that it was included in the specs and also make sure it's on the CSR website.
Having said that the s4 zoom supports apt-x (I think), and that's also not listed.
Is there any other way to tell that it's on board?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE January 7th: Posted the log which confirms the presence of aptX

UPDATE October 16th: AptX confirmed. I tried it with my bluetooth headphones (Harman Kardon BT). It connects via aptX(LED flashing four times)

UPDATE October 5th: According to a recent live chat, the US and European version do support aptX. The Korean version has it printed on the back of the box.

I just had a customer chat with Samsung US. Here's the transcript.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: Hi, I'm currently using the Samsung Galaxy S 4 and I would like to preorder the new Galaxy Note 3 but I need the bluetooth protocol aptX that the Galaxy S4 supports. Do you know if the Note 3 also supports aptX?

Samsung: I understand your concern.

Samsung: I'll be glad to assist you.

Samsung: May I place you on hold for 3 minutes, while I gather the information on your request?

Visitor: Sure. Thank you very much.

Samsung: Thank you.

Samsung: Thank you for being on hold.

Samsung: I have checked with the information and I would like to inform you that (aptX) bluetooth profile is not supported by Note3 device.

Visitor: Ok. Thank you very much for helping me out.

Wonder who had the great idea to remove aptX... .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE October 5th: According to a recent live chat the US and European version do support aptX. The Korean version has it printed on the back of the box.

UPDATE October 16th: AptX confirmed. I tried it with my bluetooth headphones (Harman Kardon BT). It connects via aptX(LED flashing four times)

UPDATE January 7th: Posted the log which confirms the presence of aptX
    You can run "adb logcat" from a PC if you have USB debugging enabled, I don't think that requires root.

Thanks! I will try that.

It worked!

What's the use of this "aptX" ? I never heard about it ! ^^

AptX is a bluetooth protocol. It's an audio codec. . Standard aptX goes up to a bitrate of 352kbps. Best mp3's only have a bitrate of up to 320 kbps, so the remaining 32 kbps don't really matter.

There are some other versions of aptX such as aptX lossless with the capability of much higher data rates.

The advantage of aptX is its convenience. Adapter attached to the sound system, switch bluetooth on on your aptX device and connect it. Done. Now you can listen to your mp3 collection without any further losses in quality.

For guys who like to listen to lossless music it's not the right choice of course.

But you cannot hear the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and a let's say 800 or 1000 kbps flac anyways. If you don't believe me do a blind test with foobar and if you are one of the fortunate few, who actually are able to hear the difference, well congrats.
    I need this confirmed. No speculation.

It has it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X67ys65So3Q#t=18

back of the box at 17 seconds in

The in ear buds seems to be awesome.. In addition, make my point valid, that anything going bluetooth these days must have aptx to be competitive.