• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[SOLVED] Artemis crashing during communications

Search This thread

jkomets

Feb 11, 2008
Berlin
My Artemis gradually stopped working with my SIM card, calls started getting dropped, I started not being able to receive calls. After a while, it would lose connection to the network whenever I would try to place or receive calls. I could have one phone call mine and I would watch it lose connection to the network. Then, I tried a different SIM, and it worked again. I placed and received calls easily to my SIM in a different phone. I got my SIM replaced and it worked fine again with my Artemis.

Then, a new problem started appearing: it would randomly shut down without warning, while I was in the middle of a communication. It has shut down during a phone call, while I have been using GPRS or WLAN, and even once in the middle of sending an SMS. It has always been during communications, though. It has never been with a warning. It tries to start up and gets to the "Windows Mobile 6.1" screen before cycling again, unless I force it off and leave it for a few hours. It can shut off with up to 80% charge reported, and after turning it back on, it has 1% charge reported and a message to replace the battery. The way it looks to me is that a communication is eating up almost the entire battery at once. Is this a battery problem? Or a phone problem?

Thanks for helping.

P.S. I have tried different Radio ROMs, but have not flashed a different full ROM since the problem started. I have, however, reflashed the same ROM once, to no avail.

EDIT: I have the problem fixed, it was a battery issue, for those who are experiencing the same problem

Last edited:

jkomets

Feb 11, 2008
Berlin
Bump: I have now flashed gullum TouchFlo2d beta 5 on my Artemis, and still the same problem. I have not changed the radio ROM since the flash (but different radios have done nothing in the past). I can keep the phone on for days before it reaches 0% battery, but all communications drain the battery completely in a matter of seconds. I still get the low battery warning after (not before) rebooting while plugged in to a power source.

jkomets

Feb 11, 2008
Berlin
Bump. I have since gone back to using my old phone, as it is unacceptable to be able to send three SMS before the battery dies. Would you recommend ordering a new battery and trying it out?

glam

Feb 9, 2007
Communications uses up a lot of juice so I'd try a new battery. Problem is, where is a good place to get batteries?

jkomets

Feb 11, 2008
Berlin
Well, batteries are rather cheap on eBay. I jus don't want to spend money on a new battery and then not need it, like I did with my last phone. I understand that communications uses up battery quickly, but draining a full charge in several seconds just from GPRS makes me wonder - is it a phone problem? Is the battery even being emptied, or is the phone really crashing?

jkomets

Feb 11, 2008
Berlin
I ordered a new battery, and it has finally arrived, and the old one apparently wasn't holding much of a charge. I can now use GPRS and SMS for more than 5 minutes before it turns off. What a relief.