[Solved] Battery Drain problem with 4.x firmware

Search This thread

siddharthsai

Feb 2, 2010
UPDATE : The battery drain is absent in the 4.xx OTA update. This is for people who used the flash tool or updated via PC Companion.

PROBLEM: As you've noted, there is a bug in the new 4.x (2.3.3 with xLOUD) update. It constantly searches for network even while connected to one. Due to this users are experiencing poor battery life that lasts no more than 10 hours on moderate use.

SOLUTION: Go to settings > Wireless and Networks > Mobile networks > Network Operators > and manually select your operator (2g/3g will be identifiable by the 2g/3g icon). Manually selecting the network reportedly kills the auto search bug ( No wonder Sony pulled the update from PC Companion). If this doesn't work for other devices ( I've only tested in R800i ), It's better to flash back the 3.xx firmware to ensure the long term capacity of your battery.

People are reporting normal battery performance after this setting has been done.

Comments are appreciated

Last edited:

kloodee

Nov 24, 2005
I went back to 3.x but after i saw this solution i installed 4.x and yes after 2 continous hours of using my play (wifi on and downloading stuff)i only lost 25% , i even noticed a change in the battery log compared to before this fix

Thanx !

Last edited:

narflynn619

May 25, 2011
On board Nebuchadnezzar.
what do you mean by this?

UPDATE : The battery drain is absent in the 4.xx OTA update. This is for people who used the flash tool or updated via PC Companion.

only those who used Flash Tool or PCC got the problem?

i updated to 4.0 (xLOUD) via OTA and i noticed significant decrease in battery performance since then, even with my Network set to Manual search.. tsk tsk

Last edited:

brochador

Jul 25, 2011
Not working on my phone.. :( I go to bed with 90-95% charge w/o any apps running except those bloatware, then after 8-9hours of sleep I only have 30-35% left on my battery :eek:

And yeah I noticed it since the xLoud update..

Cat_On_Droid

Aug 13, 2011
Not working on my phone.. :( I go to bed with 90-95% charge w/o any apps running except those bloatware, then after 8-9hours of sleep I only have 30-35% left on my battery :eek:

don't have this problem

Please root your phone and throw the bloat away. SETCPU when screen off underclockED will save even more battery. You can also put Voltage control lower for even more juice

I used the XDA App to post this, what did you use?

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011

Check your battery usage.

If you have more than 35-40%% use on mobile standby, then your phone has the bug causing the battery to drain.

Contrary to what some people may believe, "Mobile standby" doesnt mean "idle", it means it is scanning for signal.

Take sim out, take battery out, for a few minutes, reboot, then use the solution the OP describes to permanently turn of the bug.

brochador

Jul 25, 2011
don't have this problem

Please root your phone and throw the bloat away. SETCPU when screen off underclockED will save even more battery. You can also put Voltage control lower for even more juice

I used the XDA App to post this, what did you use?

My phone is rooted and I already freeze some bloat long time ago, still the problem occurs.. BTW, what's setcpu? Is it like a juice defender? I tried juice defender ultimate, but I dont like it even in basic mode..

Check your battery usage.

If you have more than 35-40%% use on mobile standby, then your phone has the bug causing the battery to drain.

Contrary to what some people may believe, "Mobile standby" doesnt mean "idle", it means it is scanning for signal.

Take sim out, take battery out, for a few minutes, reboot, then use the solution the OP describes to permanently turn of the bug.

Mobile Standby--21%
Phone idle--16%
Android system--14%
Display--10%

Will try to take sim and battery for a few minutes later..

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011
This is a most bizzare problem you have.

SetCPU can overclock (drain battery even more) or underclock (save battery) the cpu.

Ideally you want it underclocked when the screen has dimmed off, and overclocked when you are demanding graphical intensity. (games etc).

I personally think you have the scanning for radio bug still. Are you sure you have turned OFF automatic network?

brochador

Jul 25, 2011
This is a most bizzare problem you have.

SetCPU can overclock (drain battery even more) or underclock (save battery) the cpu.

Ideally you want it underclocked when the screen has dimmed off, and overclocked when you are demanding graphical intensity. (games etc).

I personally think you have the scanning for radio bug still. Are you sure you have turned OFF automatic network?

Yes, It's already set to manual..

Adam3Sixty

Apr 23, 2011
Exeter
linktr.ee
OnePlus 7T
I have a quick question.
I seem to be having the battery drain bug on my R800i (UK) however, I am a bit worried about setting it to manual.
I am with Orange here in the UK, and with Orange u can also use T-Mobile transmitters, where i live and work, i switch between Orange and T-Mobile quite often, if I was to set my phone to manual, and to Orange 3G, when i lost Orange 3G signal, what would happen? Would it still automaticall change to the T-Mobile signal, or would i be left without any signal at all??
I am rooted, and I am already using SetCPU, with also the lowest setting when on stand-by, so the only other reason for my battery drain is the bug.

Thanx in advance, and sorry that it turned out to be not such a quick question, lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PROBLEM: As you've noted, there is a bug in the new 4.x (2.3.3 with xLOUD) update. It constantly searches for network even while connected to one. Due to this users are experiencing poor battery life that lasts no more than 10 hours on moderate use.

SOLUTION: Go to settings > Wireless and Networks > Mobile networks > Network Operators > and manually select your operator (2g/3g will be identifiable by the 2g/3g icon). Manually selecting the network reportedly kills the auto search bug ( No wonder Sony pulled the update from PC Companion). If this doesn't work for other devices ( I've only tested in R800i ), It's better to flash back the 3.xx firmware to ensure the long term capacity of your battery.

People are reporting normal battery performance after this setting has been done.

Comments are appreciated
    Confirmed as working. Thank you :)
    Thanks for the feedback.
    If you set it to Orange UK and you loose signal then you will not have signal. I know this because I'm on Three UK and they use Orange UK signal.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone