[solved] Best Buy version cannot be bootloader unlocked?!

Search This thread

mingkee

Perhaps I have to shell out $35 restocking fee
I just got G7 from Best Buy and it's open market model. I ran fastboot command (fastboot oem get_unlock_data) and successfully retrieved required data, but after I sent the data, I got a return: "Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking."
Isn't the model sold by Best Buy open market?

Update: read #3 reply.
Now unlock data is accepted.

Last edited:

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
i just got mine yesterday too. its possible they didn't add it to the list yet. it was just released yesterday. either that or you entered the commands wrong.

cubano2031

Jul 9, 2011
What's the point of unlock the bootloader? I mean I Know if root but you broke the option to update the phone

cubano2031

Jul 9, 2011
Mine gets updates but i can't install any of the updates...same thing with my Moto Z3 play ...i got the updates but i cannot install the update...

mingkee

You will not be able to install OTA after it's rooted. You have to install full ROM and patch boot.img within and root again
Alternative method: if you have "the current" version full ROM, just flash the original boot.img and install OTA, and regain root using the method above with the latest full ROM

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL
Can the new moto 7 be rooted (and if necessary unroofed). Otherwise what benefit is derived from merely unlocking the bootloader?

You can do some root-ish things once you've unlocked the bootloader and still not be rooted. It will probably mess up your OTA updates, though, if you're not careful. I unrooted my Moto G5S Plus and flashed back to stock so I could take the Oreo OTA and security updates. I had planned on re-rooting it afterward, but then decided not to since I can't get any 3rd-party ROMs working on Sprint anyway. But what I did do was use ADB to edit the build.prop (for wifi hotspot and Camera2 API), which was the only reason I was still rooting Moto phones anyway.

Reactions: maybeme2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I resubmitted same code today, and now it's accepted.
    OEM unlock code should be delivered through email in few hours.
    What's the point of unlock the bootloader? I mean I Know if root but you broke the option to update the phone

The G7 should still get OTA updates with an unlocked bootloader. My Moto G5S Plus does (did).
    Can the new moto 7 be rooted (and if necessary unroofed). Otherwise what benefit is derived from merely unlocking the bootloader?

You can do some root-ish things once you've unlocked the bootloader and still not be rooted. It will probably mess up your OTA updates, though, if you're not careful. I unrooted my Moto G5S Plus and flashed back to stock so I could take the Oreo OTA and security updates. I had planned on re-rooting it afterward, but then decided not to since I can't get any 3rd-party ROMs working on Sprint anyway. But what I did do was use ADB to edit the build.prop (for wifi hotspot and Camera2 API), which was the only reason I was still rooting Moto phones anyway.