[SOLVED] big USB problem - really need your help, xda!

Search This thread

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
having real problems here..

I Flashed harcores speedmod k12g on darkys 7.5 rom (great kernel and great ROM, may i add!) and lost USB connectivity to my PC - the phone just does not recognize that it's connected to a PC via USB - it merely charges as if it was connected to the wall charger. Even when connected in download mode, odin just remains blank!

Flashed a variety of roms and kernels, but the problem still exists.

Here's everything else i've tried:
- Full wipe/factory reset
- Turned on/off USB debug + reboot - still only charges, doesn't display that its connected via USB debugging
- Tried switching between all USB modes (KIES, media player, mass storage, ask on connection)
- Reinstalled KIES, USB driver
- Tried another cable
- Tried it on a friends PC - his SGS works on it but mine doesn't - only charges. Ditto when i tried odin on his PC

The thing is that if its a hardware defect, i can't flash it back to the original firmware and give it in for under warrantly because it doesn't show up on odin!

Everything else is working perfectly fine.. Currently running darkys 8.0 (wipe - had to transfer it via bluetooth. Took absolute ages)

suggestions please :(

UPDATE: ISSUE SOLVED:

ref: http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...stays-after-usb-disconnected.html#post2028045

The problem was indeed with the micro usb port on the phone - corrosion due to condensation, namely. i have a (bad) habit of using my phones as a music boom box while i take a shower (never again!). The steam from the hot water condensed in and corroded the contacts inside the phone. I then got an alcohol swab and carefully cleaned it out, and voila, it's now working as good as new!

thanks everyone for the replies!

Last edited:

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The thing is that if its a hardware defect, i can't flash it back to the original firmware and give it in for under warrantly because it doesn't show up on odin!

You would need your original saved firmware or copy of the original not stock .

. Currently running darkys 8.0.
Dump that delete format and wipe everything undo lagfix etc .
install JM8 with 512 pit and repartition and see if its fixed .
Dont think its hardware more like rom **** up .
Have you looked at darkys bug reports/asked darky

jje

andreas_k

Aug 9, 2010
How he can install jm8 without odin?

you need cwm backup of jm8 or another not modded firmware.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

omersak

Oct 15, 2010

You would need your original saved firmware or copy of the original not stock .

. Currently running darkys 8.0.
Dump that delete format and wipe everything undo lagfix etc .
install JM8 with 512 pit and repartition and see if its fixed .
Dont think its hardware more like rom **** up .
Have you looked at darkys bug reports/asked darky

jje

I've tried a full wipe and i've never used a lagfix with 2.2.1, and i would gladly install jm8 but, like i said, not even odin recognizes that i've connected the phone to the PC. The place where its supposed to be yellow remains blank, as if i havent connected anything :\

I asked around on darkys and hardcores threads and tried some suggestions, but it still didnt work!

g00ndu

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
c'mon guys, there has to be something i can do to save my galaxy!

You know how to package a rom via update zip? Download from samfirmware the jm8, extract the factoryfs.rfs and put it in an update zip. Then upload to the sdcard and flash via cwm.

Only problem is any one going to create the update zip for you...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

g00ndu

Apr 22, 2008
I can make this for you if you still need it

You need to use magiciso to extract the files out from factoryfs.rfs. Refer to the video guide in the stickies over at the development section. Then use either jim panse's update script as reference to create your own update script. Need to be careful, cos there might be additional folders (example: /system/etc/init.d/) which your stock rom does not have, but in other customized rom it is included. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
update

UPDATE: the problem hasnt been fixed.. but today, when i came back to my phone after letting it charge with the wall charger, it was displaying the "connected to USB" screen.. while charging on the wall charger! :confused:

When i tried connecting it to my PC about a hundred times, it would still only charge without detecting that its been plugged in to a PC, but a couple of times a steering wheel and "car mode activated" would display in the notification bar.

Does this mean that it's definitely a hardware problem?

Hrithan2020

Sep 8, 2010
UPDATE: the problem hasnt been fixed.. but today, when i came back to my phone after letting it charge with the wall charger, it was displaying the "connected to USB" screen.. while charging on the wall charger! :confused:

When i tried connecting it to my PC about a hundred times, it would still only charge without detecting that its been plugged in to a PC, but a couple of times a steering wheel and "car mode activated" would display in the notification bar.

Does this mean that it's definitely a hardware problem?

I am facing the same issue. Tried lots of options ,but still not working.
Can anyone share the stock ROM, in update.zip (Ideally DDJP6, but any would do)?

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
I am facing the same issue. Tried lots of options ,but still not working.
Can anyone share the stock ROM, in update.zip (Ideally DDJP6, but any would do)?

Mine's fixed:

ref: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...ml#post2028045

The problem was indeed with the micro usb port on the phone - corrosion due to condensation, namely. i have a (bad) habit of using my phones as a music boom box while i take a shower (never again!). The steam from the hot water condensed in and corroded the contacts inside the phone. I then got an alcohol swab and carefully cleaned it out, and voila, it's now working as good as new!

hope this does the trick for you too!

Hrithan2020

Sep 8, 2010
Mine's fixed:

ref: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...ml#post2028045

hope this does the trick for you too!

The link you've given is not working. Can you please provide the correct link?
So, your solution involves dismantling the phone and then applying alcohol or just apply from outside?

Also, my phone is getting detected as an unknown device in Windows XP machine with or without the Samsung USB driver installed . Was your phone doing that?

g00ndu

Apr 22, 2008
So, your solution involves dismantling the phone and then applying alcohol or just apply from outside?

Also, my phone is getting detected as an unknown device in Windows XP machine with or without the Samsung USB driver installed . Was your phone doing that?

Go to androidforum and search for post #2028045....

omersak

Oct 15, 2010

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...stays-after-usb-disconnected.html#post2028045

i didnt have to dismantle the phone.. just cleaned out the micro usb port on top of the phone. i got a really thin wire and wrapped an alcohol swab around it, and stuffed it inside the micro usb port to clean out its contacts.

And yes, before totally dying, my phone would get detected as an unknown device in windows.

good luck!

Reactions: Hrithan2020

Hrithan2020

Sep 8, 2010
http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...stays-after-usb-disconnected.html#post2028045

i didnt have to dismantle the phone.. just cleaned out the micro usb port on top of the phone. i got a really thin wire and wrapped an alcohol swab around it, and stuffed it inside the micro usb port to clean out its contacts.

And yes, before totally dying, my phone would get detected as an unknown device in windows.

good luck!

Thanks a ton !!!

It didn't work in the first try, and I was thinking it was beyond repair (or a software problem), but decided to give it another try(this time using just a cloth dipped with surgical spirit) and it worked !!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

good luck!