Solved - Boot S10 into rooted ROM without requiring 3 buttons pressed

Search This thread

BLING2X

Jan 6, 2021
Ocala, Florida, USA
www.bling2x.com
I have purchased my Samsung S10 Exynos and successfully rooted it using the only possible ways that have seems to be available so far. I have gained root, but I was wondering if anyone has solved the issue of having to turn the device on with all 3 keys held down at the same time. I understand that this is because the rooted version of the phone has be installed on the recovery of the phone, but I hope that there becomes a way to turn on the phone with root and use only the power button. I check from time to time, but it seems that this has not been solved yet. If anyone can find a solution for me so that I do not have to keep searching then I will reward them $100. An idea that I had is if there was a way to modify the power button to boot into recovery by itself? I believe this would be impossible but if anyone could think of a way to do that then that would solve the problem. I am okay with never being able to unroot the device if this would be the case.

BLING2X

Jan 6, 2021
Ocala, Florida, USA
www.bling2x.com
How often do you cold boot?

reboot:
- Magisk boot menu
- adb reboot recovery

Hello, thank you for the suggestion. I thought about that idea already and I forgot to mention it in my post. I am looking for a way to do it via a cold boot. I know about the reboot into recovery method already, and I know of a way to map the power button to reboot into recovery if held down, but I am looking for a way to cold boot into recovery with just the power button.

I like your idea, but if there was a way to do it as a cold boot then that is ideally what I'm looking for. Your method would work if there was a way to just keep the phone shut down and wait until I hold the power button to turn it on and then it boot into recovery. If you can think of a way to do that then let me know.

The reason I am seeking this is because I root the S10 out to have a proprietary app on it and the app requires root to function properly. I need the power button to boot with root on the S10 so that it will always do so and my employees / customers will not access the non-rooted side of the phone by accident. The 3 button combination is too difficult, so I would need to resort so either a S8 or S9 if the S10 won't allow power button only to boot with root access. The app that I make uses a great amount of battery life so I need the ability to shut down the phone and cold boot it back into recovery. Thanks.

pjc21

Mar 3, 2012
Melbourne
Hi, I assume you have rooted using the magisk-patched-recovery method (patched AP file) and if memory serves and from what I am re-reading this method does require the 3-button-combo to boot to rooted system.
When I first got my s10 and rooted this was the only method at the time, but then came custom kernels with built-in magisk.
With this method from power menu if I...
- reboot, phone will reboot to rooted system.
- power off, the power on button will boot to rooted system.

In fact I'm not sure how/if I can boot to non-rooted system with this method.

I currently on custom rom AmbasadiiRom 2.2 with AmbasadiiCruel Kernel G97xF-v3.10.
There are a few custom kernels that have built-in magisk. You will have to check rom compatibility but believe they work on samsung stock based firmware/roms, AmbasadiRomi is based on stock firmware.
- Cruel Kernel
- ThundeRStormS kernel

If you like I can provide a step-by-step, but you will lose all data as it will require flashing stock unpatched firmware, unpatched twrp in odin then custom rom (optional - depending on if the custom kernel does work on stock firmware) & custom kernel.

Reactions: BLING2X

BLING2X

Jan 6, 2021
Ocala, Florida, USA
www.bling2x.com
Hi, I assume you have rooted using the magisk-patched-recovery method (patched AP file) and if memory serves and from what I am re-reading this method does require the 3-button-combo to boot to rooted system.
When I first got my s10 and rooted this was the only method at the time, but then came custom kernels with built-in magisk.

I currently on custom rom AmbasadiiRom 2.2 with AmbasadiiCruel Kernel G97xF-v3.10.
There are a few custom kernels that have built-in magisk. You will have to check rom compatibility but believe they work on samsung stock based firmware/roms, AmbasadiRomi is based on stock firmware.
- Cruel Kernel
- ThundeRStormS kernel

If you like I can provide a step-by-step, but you will lose all data as it will require flashing stock unpatched firmware, unpatched twrp in odin then custom rom (optional - depending on if the custom kernel does work on stock firmware) & custom kernel.

Awesome. Your solution sounds perfect for what I was looking for. Yes, I got my S10 back over a year ago and rooted it with patched AP file and magisk. I was only able to find that method even up until yesterday. I would like a step by step if you are able to quickly put one together. If it works then I am glad to grant you the reward for your help. I am willing to do this in the easiest way possible, even if it requires wiping data. I never used the phone so wiping is no problem at all. I am looking to do this to several devices so the easiest and fastest way would be the best. I will look into your comments and see if I can figure out doing this over this weekend. Will keep everyone updated.

BLING2X

Jan 6, 2021
Ocala, Florida, USA
www.bling2x.com

- Cruel Kernel
- ThundeRStormS kernel

I just read some info on the links you provided and i think i can figure it out. if i have any trouble then ill let you know. Dont worry about a step by step for now unless I have any trouble. Thanks!

pjc21

Mar 3, 2012
Melbourne
Here is a bit of a step-by-step for Samsung s10 Exynos Model:SM-G973F

Info below is based on using December Security patch: 2020-12-01 firmware G973FXXS9DTK9 (Android 10) and Ambasadii Rom

NOTICE: The easiest and fastest way would probably be flashing kernel with stock firmware/rom. I have only done custom (but stock based) roms with kernel so am assuming the steps (5a.) for stock firmware/rom, you may want to post in chosen kernel thread to confirm if those steps are correct.
- both kernels I mentioned say they are compatibly with stock roms & AmbasadiiCruel Kernel is based on Cruel Kernel so I assume that would also work on stock rom.

This assumes you have already unlocked your bootloader, if not check this Recovery thread under Instructions: Odin (windows) - steps 1-6 for how to unlock bootloader.

1. Download all files needed to pc.
- Current latest firmware G973FXXS9DTK9, I use frija tool as downloading from samfirmware.com is very slow.
Enter Model, CSC, check the auto box & click check update and download.
Once complete unzip with 7Zip or preferred zip tool.

- In Recovery thread download latest twrp for device, is this case for S10 G973F latest twrp is - twrp-3.5.0_9-1-beyond1lte.img.tar
Under Instructions: Odin (windows) download
- Odin v3.14.1
- avb disabled vbmeta.tar
- click link to multidisabler-samsung-2.* and download latest version from there, currently multidisabler-samsung-3.1.zip

If sticking with stock and custom kernel
- easiest one looks like it would be Cruel kernel or AmbasadiiCruel kernel.
- check kernel thread of choice for compatibility with stock firmware and specific install instructions.

For custom rom in this example for Ambasadii rom
- Download files from Ambasadii rom site
- ROM.G97xF.XXS9DTK9-v2.2.by.ambasadii.zip
- mods_DTJA-v1.3.4.zip
- magisk_safetynet_fix.zip
- AmbasadiiCruel-G97xF-v3.10.zip (rom does include previous kernel 3.9 but this one is updated to latest magisk 21.2)

Bootlogo patcher - this will get rid of the warning about bootloader being unlocked when booting phone. (optional)
TWRP_Bootlogo_patcher.zip

Copy the below files to phones external SDCard
- multidisabler-samsung-3.1.zip
- TWRP_Bootlogo_patcher.zip (optional)
- chosen kernel zip - if sticking with stock

Custom Rom files
- mods_DTJA-v1.3.4.zip
- AmbasadiiCruel-G97xF-v3.10.zip

2. Flashing stock firmware - Odin
- Open Odin on pc
- Turn off the phone
- Use vol down + bixby, then connect usb cable to phone from pc to start the phone in download mode, press vol up to confirm and go to download mode.
- In Odin under log you should see added, I also like to turn off auto reboot under the options tab and do manual reboot once complete but that's up to you.
- Add BL, AP, CP & CSC from the unzipped firmware downloaded in step 1. The AP & CSC can take a little time as they are larger files.
- Once all files added click start and wait until complete, you should see SUCCESS in the top left area once done.
- If you turned off auto-reboot then unplug usb and do manual reboot by pressing vol down + power for 7 seconds, else phone should reboot automatically then unplug.

3. Once phone boots up
- complete setup and connect to Wi-Fi or data
- skip adding Google & Samsung accounts.
- enable developer settings & check OEM unlock is on.
- turn off the phone.

4. Flashing TWRP Recovery - Odin
- In the Recovery thread under Instructions: Odin (windows) continue on from step 8 including formatting data and flashing multidisabler zip which you copied to SDCard.
- in twrp go back to wipe and select advanced and wipe data, cache & dalvik-cache

5a. If sticking with stock & custom kernel - Read NOTICE at top of post
Assumed Steps
- Still in twrp recovery go back to main menu
- select install and flash kernel zip, then TWRP_Bootlogo_patcher.zip
- Not sure if magisk_safetynet_fix is needed or works on stock, would need to confirm in Ambasadii thread.
- go back to main menu and select reboot & system
- give the phone a few minutes to start, and then complete setup including adding your accounts.
- once setup is complete open magisk and it will run additional setup, and then phone will reboot
- done

OR

5b. If flashing Custom Rom & Kernel - steps below for Ambasadii Rom

- select install and flash ROM.G97xF.XXS9DTK9-v2.2.by.ambasadii.zip, choose options in aroma - once the install is complete exit back to twrp recovery
- select and flash mods_DTJA-v1.3.4.zip, then magisk_safetynet_fix.zip, then AmbasadiiCruel-G97xF-v3.10.zip, then TWRP_Bootlogo_patcher.zip
- once you have flashed all files go back to main menu and select reboot & system
- give the phone about 8 minutes to start, and then complete setup including adding your accounts.
- once setup is complete open magisk and it will run additional setup, and then phone will reboot
- done

6. If you went with Ambasadii Rom
- you will then notice status bar icons are pushed to the right behind the camera
- open rom control, grant superuser rights
- select status bar/options and play around with notch adjustments and positions
- can be a little confusing to start but play around and you'll get the hang of it.

Hope this info helps, let me know if you need any clarification/detail to any of the steps
Also no need for reward, happy to help

Reactions: BLING2X and jelbo

BLING2X

Jan 6, 2021
Ocala, Florida, USA
www.bling2x.com

Info below is based on using December Security patch: 2020-12-01 firmware G973FXXS9DTK9 (Android 10) and Ambasadii Rom

NOTICE: The easiest and fastest way would probably be flashing kernel with stock firmware/rom. I have only done custom (but stock based) roms with kernel so am assuming the steps (5a.) for stock firmware/rom, you may want to post in chosen kernel thread to confirm if those steps are correct.
- both kernels I mentioned say they are compatibly with stock roms & AmbasadiiCruel Kernel is based on Cruel Kernel so I assume that would also work on stock rom.

This assumes you have already unlocked your bootloader, if not check this Recovery thread under Instructions: Odin (windows) - steps 1-6 for how to unlock bootloader.

- Current latest firmware G973FXXS9DTK9, I use frija tool as downloading from samfirmware.com is very slow.

- In Recovery thread download latest twrp for device, is this case for S10 G973F latest twrp is - twrp-3.5.0_9-1-beyond1lte.img.tar
- Odin v3.14.1
- click link to multidisabler-samsung-2.* and download latest version from there, currently multidisabler-samsung-3.1.zip

- check kernel thread of choice for compatibility with stock firmware and specific install instructions.

- mods_DTJA-v1.3.4.zip
- AmbasadiiCruel-G97xF-v3.10.zip (rom does include previous kernel 3.9 but this one is updated to latest magisk 21.2)

Bootlogo patcher - this will get rid of the warning about bootloader being unlocked when booting phone. (optional)

Custom Rom files
- mods_DTJA-v1.3.4.zip

- Open Odin on pc
- Turn off the phone
- Use vol down + bixby, then connect usb cable to phone from pc to start the phone in download mode, press vol up to confirm and go to download mode.
- In Odin under log you should see added, I also like to turn off auto reboot under the options tab and do manual reboot once complete but that's up to you.
- Add BL, AP, CP & CSC from the unzipped firmware downloaded in step 1. The AP & CSC can take a little time as they are larger files.
- Once all files added click start and wait until complete, you should see SUCCESS in the top left area once done.
- If you turned off auto-reboot then unplug usb and do manual reboot by pressing vol down + power for 7 seconds, else phone should reboot automatically then unplug.

3. Once phone boots up
- turn off the phone.

- In the Recovery thread under Instructions: Odin (windows) continue on from step 8 including formatting data and flashing multidisabler zip which you copied to SDCard.
- in twrp go back to wipe and select advanced and wipe data, cache & dalvik-cache

Assumed Steps
- Not sure if magisk_safetynet_fix is needed or works on stock, would need to confirm in Ambasadii thread.
- give the phone a few minutes to start, and then complete setup including adding your accounts.
- done

OR

- select install and flash ROM.G97xF.XXS9DTK9-v2.2.by.ambasadii.zip, choose options in aroma - once the install is complete exit back to twrp recovery
- select and flash mods_DTJA-v1.3.4.zip, then magisk_safetynet_fix.zip, then AmbasadiiCruel-G97xF-v3.10.zip, then TWRP_Bootlogo_patcher.zip
- once you have flashed all files go back to main menu and select reboot & system
- give the phone about 8 minutes to start, and then complete setup including adding your accounts.
- done

- you will then notice status bar icons are pushed to the right behind the camera
- select status bar/options and play around with notch adjustments and positions
- can be a little confusing to start but play around and you'll get the hang of it.

Hope this info helps, let me know if you need any clarification/detail to any of the steps

Hey There, Been busy lately and I haven't gotten around to trying any of these methods until today. Today I attempted the stockrom+CruelKernel. I am having a strange problem. I am acquiring root but as a read-only. I can not make any changes to system files, I can only view them. Can you tell me if you are able to modify or add to the system directory? Let me know. I know your phone is running custom rom + custom kernel, so I just might have to do that if that is the only fix. I have tried several things and read all of the threads but can not find anyone else that is experiencing this issue / I can not find a fix. I'm about to try the custom rom (stock based) + custom kernel to see if that works. If you can tell me if you have access to read/write system files then let me know so I know if this is even possible. Thanks.

pjc21

Mar 3, 2012
Melbourne
Hey, sorry for late reply - ever since xda updated it's not sending me emails when I get a notification.

As for the system directory being read-only, I believe this is normal even with root. Root just gives access to the /root dir that you would not normally have without it.
- my system dir permissions by default are 755/rwxr-xr-x

After a bit of searching looks like there are a few ways to change permissions
- twrp, can mount system as r,w - but as you said this reverts on reboot
- adb shell, and chmod permissions, same why you do with linux
- in android using either root explorer or x-plore, haven't tried root explorer as it is a paid app but did test with x-plore and working fine.

check this vid on changing the root access to superuser+mount writable which allows for changes in read-only folders and how to set permissions for files/folders.

I not sure if changing permissions on the system folder itself is safe or would cause any issues, I just created a folder within system and set permissions to 644 reclusive, created some files and rebooted - created folders/files and modified permissions remained fine after reboot.

If you need write permissions in system to install apps as system/app you may find this magisk module useful, it's called App Systemizer which allows you to use apps as system apps systemlessly. Just search in magisk modules.

Hope this helps.

BLING2X

Jan 6, 2021
Ocala, Florida, USA
www.bling2x.com
Hey, sorry for late reply - ever since xda updated it's not sending me emails when I get a notification.

As for the system directory being read-only, I believe this is normal even with root. Root just gives access to the /root dir that you would not normally have without it.
- my system dir permissions by default are 755/rwxr-xr-x

After a bit of searching looks like there are a few ways to change permissions
- twrp, can mount system as r,w - but as you said this reverts on reboot
- adb shell, and chmod permissions, same why you do with linux
- in android using either root explorer or x-plore, haven't tried root explorer as it is a paid app but did test with x-plore and working fine.

check this vid on changing the root access to superuser+mount writable which allows for changes in read-only folders and how to set permissions for files/folders.

I not sure if changing permissions on the system folder itself is safe or would cause any issues, I just created a folder within system and set permissions to 644 reclusive, created some files and rebooted - created folders/files and modified permissions remained fine after reboot.

If you need write permissions in system to install apps as system/app you may find this magisk module useful, it's called App Systemizer which allows you to use apps as system apps systemlessly. Just search in magisk modules.

Hope this helps.

Cool, I'll give your suggestions a try. I'm a fan of ES File Explorer. They have a root explorer built in their app and previously I had a S8 Exynos and a S9 Exynos and that app worked for those phones but with this S10 the switch is grayed out and no other app is working for me either. On my older S8 Exynos and S9 Exynos I rooted with stock-rom + stock-kernel and just needed TWRP+Magisk and I always was able to modify or add/delete system files with ES file explorer. I guess Samsung is getting more and more strict on allowing this by making us hop through more hoops in order to do so. So far I only have ready only system files on the S10 Exynos which is new to me because the S8 and S9 always allowed modifying system files in the past but I will try your methods you suggested. Worst case I'll attempt the custom-rom + custom-kernel and see if that works. Right now I have stock-rom+custom-kernel. I was able to make changes in the system files in TWRP but hopefully your method will allow me to edit system files without having to switch to TWRP every time I want to change something. I will keep you updated.

On a side note I just rooted a Samsung S20 Exynos and turns out that the system files are read only everywhere whether in TWRP or not, so Samsung keeps making things more difficult on us all. I currently have no way of modifying system files on the S20 no matter what I try but that phone is still much newer so I will give the magicians more time before I look into the forums more for that phone. Right now if I can get the S10 Exynos then I'll be happy.

I'll let you know how things progress. If I get what I need done with this S10 then I am happy to give you a donation for your help in this matter. I would not have gotten this far without your help. Previously the S8 and S9 days were so much easier and people had youtube videos galore that described how to root. The process was easy and everything was unlocked as read write back in the S8 and S9 days.

pjc21

Mar 3, 2012
Melbourne
Yeah I use to use ES on android 6-8 then moved of to solid explorer, very similar ui to ES and also has root explorer but unfortunately it does not work to change permissions on s10 android 10 (bloody samsung/google). So far the only free one I have found is x-plore to be able to do this now. Looks like google is locking down android even more now with android 11 😞

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- Odin v3.14.1

- mods_DTJA-v1.3.4.zip

Custom Rom files
    - mods_DTJA-v1.3.4.zip

- Open Odin on pc
    - Turn off the phone

3. Once phone boots up
    - turn off the phone.

Assumed Steps
    - done

OR

- done

- Cruel Kernel
    - ThundeRStormS kernel