[SOLVED] Bootloop-ish on Fastboot Mode but TWRP works

Search This thread

namastyler

Apr 19, 2021
Hello, I'm new here, so if I'm doing something wrong have mercy 🙏.
My 1+7Pro GM1913 is unlocked, rooted with Magisk (I think 22.1), TWRP 3.5.0_9-0-guacamole and OOS (last flashed version was 10.0.11.GM21BA considering I still have on the phone the OnePlus7ProOxygen_21.E.32_OTA_032_all_2101280020_c39273ef1f205b6.zip).
Last time I've flashed something I think was about a month ago, with the last update. No problem so far, until today. This morning my phone had problems with wifi, so I rebooted it.
From that moment on, it boots only to Fastboot Mode. I can get to TWRP and I can access my phone directories from the pc only from TWRP, every other mode makes my phone unreachable from usb, and installing or updating drivers doesn't work.
I would love to avoid any data loss or anything related to having to reinstall every 2FA I have.
I tried deleting everything from /data/adb/modules but nothing changed.
I looked around on XDA but I usually get people stuck on Fastboot only and accessible via usb, which is not my case.
So I was thinking about flashing the latest available OTA, then TWRP, then Magisk from TWRP but I'm not sure if it will works or just worsen my problem.
Has anyone had this problem before? Any idea about how to solve this?
Thanks for anyone willing to help me.
Have a nice day!

EDIT:
Solved flashing the full OTA.zip, twrp.zip, reboot and Magisk.zip after renaming the apk.

Attachments

• photo_2021-04-19_14-28-51.jpg
    photo_2021-04-19_14-28-51.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ghost323

Mar 30, 2016
I think this will help you:
Twrp --> flash your boot.img (with "payload dumper" it can be extracted from the full OTA update file)
Then flash twrp.zip, reboot in to twrp, flash magisk.zip, wipe dalvik cache
Reboot and provit ;-)

namastyler

Apr 19, 2021
Being a monday and everything, I'll write down what I've done so far, this way if anyone find this post with the same luck as mine maybe it will be less painful for him\her.
I followed this guide on XDA in merit of the "payload dumper" suggested by Ghost323 and followed the instruction on the Github page, which are:

• google protobuf for
    Code:
    python pip install protobuf
  • Make you sure you have Python 3.6 installed.
  • Download payload_dumper.py and update_metadata_pb2.py
  • Extract your OTA zip and place payload.bin in the same folder as these files.
  • Open PowerShell, Command Prompt, or Terminal depending on your OS.
  • Enter the following command:
    Code:
    python -m pip install protobuf

and being my zip a full OTA​

• When that’s finished, enter this command:
    Code:
    python payload_dumper.py payload.bin
  • This will start to extract the images within the payload.bin file to the output folder you are in.
All good until the
Code:
gave me a "no module named bdsiff4" error.
So I used
Code:
pip install bsdiff4
and turns out I'm missing Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0, which is absurd because I'm staring at it in my programs and I used it last week.

Anyway, one vs_BuildTools.exe, 12Gb downloaded and a reboot later, this time
Code:
pip install bsdiff4
works and the
Code:
command finally starts.
Once that's done in the output folder I found the boot.img and made a copy into my phone root folder /.

At this point, I was looking for a flashable zip of Magisk, but I found out in a tweet dated 11:55 AM · Jan 22, 2021 that "the Magisk Manager APK *itself* is a custom recovery flashable zip", so back to Github to download the Magisk-v22.1.apk and copy that on the same root folder on my phone, following the instruction under the Magisk v22.0 updated installation guide. Under "Custom Recovery" it is written to rename the .apk into .zip.

On TWRP, Install, Install Image, and selected boot.img.
At that point I can choose between Boot, System Image, Vendor Image and Install Recovery Ramdisk.
But on the installation guide of Magisk is written "Never, ever try to restore either boot or recovery partitions back to stock! You can easily brick your device by doing so, and the only way out is to do a full Odin restore with data wipe."

So now I'm stuck. Please help.

Later I'll flash twrp-installer-3.5.2_9-0-guacamole.zip, reboot to TWRP and flash the Magisk-v22.1.zip.

Last edited:

ghost323

Mar 30, 2016
You can install your full OTA update file in TWRP. Then install TWRP.zip. Restart into TWRP, install Magisk.zip (rename Magisk 22.1.apk to Magisk 22.1.zip). Wipe dalvik cache and reboot into the system.
That should work the same way. The main thing is that your Boot.img is fine again.
Both ways of mine should lead to the same success.
I wish you success.

Reactions: namastyler

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can install your full OTA update file in TWRP. Then install TWRP.zip. Restart into TWRP, install Magisk.zip (rename Magisk 22.1.apk to Magisk 22.1.zip). Wipe dalvik cache and reboot into the system.
    That should work the same way. The main thing is that your Boot.img is fine again.
    Both ways of mine should lead to the same success.
    I wish you success.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone