(Solved) Cannot Sign Into Older, Factory-reset Device: "Unable to sign in due to unknown error..."

Search This thread

jrredho

Aug 25, 2012
[Edit: Just a quick note to let folks know, if there was anyone who cared at all, that this issue has resolved itself. I have no real understanding why, but I did a few more "Factory Resets", both with "Wipe Userdata and Personalizations" and with just "Wipe Userdata". Whatever I did just seemed to work as my wife was able to sign in afterwards. When she did I removed her account from the phone, did the multi-wipe procedure again and was able to sign in as myself. That was the goal.

Thanks very much, again, to the folks who commented on my question!]

Hey All,

I have an older device, a Moto X Pure, that I've done the factory reset/wipe all data thing via the stock Recovery. The device is on the latest update that Moto provided 3 (or is it now 4) years ago now, Android 7.1. Other than an unlocked bootloader, everything else is on the device is stock and unrooted, although it does not have a SIM card installed in it at this time. In fact, the entire reason that I'm trying to initialize it is to test a number of different mobile service providers to find the best provider for my, largely rural, common travel pathways.

However, once I enter my wifi info successfully and try to sign into this device with my Google ID/password, I cannot do it. Instead I get an error message that starts with the text that's in quotes in the post subject. The message continues with "try another account, or wait 24 hours and try again." Now, I've done the 24-hour wait thing several times, but the result is the same.

The phone was my wife's daily driver until I replaced it a couple of months ago. I've had her try to sign into it as well, but she can't do it either with the identical result.

So I'm at my wit's end. Has anyone in this sphere ever encountered this error? Were you able to overcome it? Can any other kind soul here suggest a way to circumvent this? I mean one that doesn't involve sledge hammers and concrete pads?

Thanks!

cheers,
john

Last edited:

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
My guess is problems like reported could be related to Factory Reset Protection, which happens when the previous owner of a device didn't properly remove his/her Google account from phone prior to doing a factory reset.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
My guess is problems like reported could be related to Factory Reset Protection, which happens when the previous owner of a device didn't properly remove his/her Google account from phone prior to doing a factory reset.

If his wife did a factory reset when she first got it then that's not the case.
OP, did she?

jwoegerbauer, how is the reset password handled? If you originally sign in to the device with one password but then change your Google account password, does the device authorization automatically update too?
Or do you use the original password?
Any failsafe to prevent the device owner from getting permanently locked out?
That whole embedded subsystem gives me a headache.

Reactions: galaxys

jrredho

Aug 25, 2012
Thanks to both of you for the feedback on this!

Ah, yeah, that definitely happened. By that I mean that the previous owner did not properly remove their account prior to my doing the factory reset.

Now the question is: Is there any way for me to recover from this situation? I have the latest factory ROM for this device (from three or four years ago). Can I just flash that over what's on there? Or have I tripped some kind of circuit breaker and I'm just hosed?

OP, did she?

No, and we bought it on Swappa about six months after it came out, with an unlocked bootloader no less, so we just assumed that the seller did a reset before transferring it to us, but we don't know that definitively.

jwoegerbauer, how is the reset password handled? If you originally sign in to the device with one password but then change your Google account password, does the device authorization automatically update too?

Yes, same questions now that blackhawk mentions them. (Since I didn't think to ask such good ones myself!)

Thanks again to both of you for your help!

cheers,
john

Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OP, did she?

Thanks to both of you for the feedback on this!

Ah, yeah, that definitely happened. By that I mean that the previous owner did not properly remove their account prior to my doing the factory reset.

Now the question is: Is there any way for me to recover from this situation? I have the latest factory ROM for this device (from three or four years ago). Can I just flash that over what's on there? Or have I tripped some kind of circuit breaker and I'm just hosed?

OP, did she?

No, and we bought it on Swappa about six months after it came out, with an unlocked bootloader no less, so we just assumed that the seller did a reset before transferring it to us, but we don't know that definitively.

Yes, same questions now that blackhawk mentions them. (Since I didn't think to ask such good ones myself!)

Thanks again to both of you for your help!

cheers,
    john
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone