• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General [SOLVED] Can't copy Titanium Backup files to PC!!!

Search This thread
How can i copy TitaniumBackup folder to PC?

With my others Galaxy phones i always could copy through MTP but with my G998B/DS i can't.
I've used all the methods i found on the internet, such as:

Copy through MTP;
Compress TitaniumBackup's folder into a .zip file;
And through the ADB command
Code:
adb pull "/sdcard/TitaniumBackup" "D:\BACKUP"

Through MTP and compressing the folder i only get the .PROPERTIES files and through ADB i get this error message:

adb: error: failed to copy '/sdcard/TitaniumBackup/com.google.android.apps.photos-20210403-172138.tar.gz' to 'D:\BACKUP\TitaniumBackup\com.google.android.apps.photos-20210403-172138.tar.gz': remote open failed: Permission denied

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

SOLUTION: I entered in TWRP and i've been able to copy the folder.

Last edited:

User699

Feb 28, 2021
anyone know how to resolve this? i don't have TWRP so i can't use that work around.
Do you get the same error as below?
adb: error: failed to copy '/sdcard/TitaniumBackup/com.google.android.apps.photos-20210403-172138.tar.gz' to 'D:\BACKUP\TitaniumBackup\com.google.android.apps.photos-20210403-172138.tar.gz': remote open failed: Permission denied

Maybe the "Permission denied" error is triggered by windows itself since you try to copy into the root of drive D. Maybe running your terminal (e.g. PowerShell) as admin will resolve your issue.

Else, @fizmixa , you could still manually boot (but not flash) twrp using fastboot, if your device isn't a Samsung device (I don't know if you can achieve this with Samsung).

user456788

Jun 7, 2021
I had the same problem. Looks like it's permission related. I fixed the problem by booting into TWRP -> Advanced -> File Manager, navigating to /sdcard/TitaniumBackup, clicking the blue folder with the tick and then selecting the chmod755 option.

@fizmixa, try and download Terminal Emulator for Android from the Play store and run:
Code:
chmod 755 /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/

Last edited:

qwertsdf

Oct 14, 2017
It is about owner permission. Tar.gz files has a different owner from .properties. I don't have TWRP recovery because I use Android Emulator. How can I solve this problem?

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
I'm struggling with the same issue .. No TWRP with me yet. So any clue how to get these files out of the device ?
They're protected due to security changes in newer versions of Android. I had the same issue on my last device, unable to pull /sdcard/android or /sdcard/TitaniumBackup using ADB for example.

You can try the SmartSwitch Windows app to take a backup of your phone?

Just a word of warning, I used SmartSwitch yesterday and although the backup was successful the call log backup zip was corrupt and couldn't be restored.

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
They're protected due to security changes in newer versions of Android. I had the same issue on my last device, unable to pull /sdcard/android or /sdcard/TitaniumBackup using ADB for example.

Just a word of warning, I used SmartSwitch yesterday and although the backup was successful the call log backup zip was corrupt and couldn't be restored.

Hey, I just managed to sort it out.

Go to Titanium Backup, Preferences, Backup location - and click the below selected option;
Select the external backup storage option, and allow access to it.

It was weird how this caused the PC copying / internal copying to fail .. This sorted the problem for good.

TBBB.png

Reactions: RaS_KoR and skymera

skymera

Mar 28, 2010

Go to Titanium Backup, Preferences, Backup location - and click the below selected option;

It was weird how this caused the PC copying / internal copying to fail .. This sorted the problem for good.
I'm not rooting my S21U but this is good to know for the future, tks.

scarlion

Mar 15, 2015
I'm also having this problem with Android 11 on Pixel 5a, adb: error: failed to copy ...: remote open failed: Permission denied

There isn't a TWRP for this device yet so I can't try that solution. I tried JazonX's idea but it hasn't helped. The problem seems to be that the tar.gz files are owned by media_rw user instead of u0_a252 like the other files. I tried using 'adb shell', "su -" and then "chmod 755 /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/" but it doesn't actually change any of the permissions. Also tried commands such as "chown u0_a252 *.tar.gz" but it doesn't actually change anything. I tried to write to TB support too but no response yet. Any other ideas?

scarlion

Mar 15, 2015
Aha! I found a solution! use "adb shell" then "su -" then navigate to "cd /data/media/0/TitaniumBackup". Now commands like "chown u0_a252 *" actually work and I was able to get full backup of /sdcard/TitaniumBackup with "adb pull". Crazy Android file system!

Reactions: Woobhurk

Woobhurk

Apr 18, 2017
Aha! I found a solution! use "adb shell" then "su -" then navigate to "cd /data/media/0/TitaniumBackup". Now commands like "chown u0_a252 *" actually work and I was able to get full backup of /sdcard/TitaniumBackup with "adb pull". Crazy Android file system!
Wow! It worked for me! Thanks very much 👏🏻

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TBBB.png