• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Solved] Control App (jp.pioneer.avsoft.android.controlapp)

Search This thread

gregory_cooky

Mar 31, 2016
Hi,
I'm still using CD Receiver XC-HM82. There is a dedicated, quite old, application Control App which Pioneer released some time ago. After installing the app, when a CD receiver is discovered the app unfortunately downloads some data needed for managing this particular model.

Recently I reinstalled android system and when I try downloading those data it says "download failed". The reason might be that there are some issues on Pioneer server side or they've simply stopped supporting this device.

I have still one phone where this application is fully installed and working fine. I think that the data (downloaded from Pioneer servers to manage XC-HM82) are being store at: /data/user/0. However, I haven't rooted this phone.

The question. How can I retrieve data from /data/user/0 and what's maybe even more important can I create APK which will include all data needed for managing XC-HM-82 so I could still use this application to manage my CD receiver?

Thanks for any tips

gregory_cooky

Mar 31, 2016
I'll answer to my own post for users who might use it.

1.Turn on Developers option in your phone

2. If you use Lineage OS allow Debugging as Root or Root via ADB

3. Check all aps you have installed

adb shell pm list packages -f -3

4. To backup base apk (in my case)

adb pull /data/app/jp.pioneer.avsoft.android.controlapp-PIpLM2ikeE7WRs7X2TlOFg==/base.apk pioneer.apk

5. To backup data of the application (including packet for controlling particular model)

adb backup -f pioneer.adb -apk jp.pioneer.avsoft.android.controlapp

Please note: you'll have to accept this action in Android

6. You should received two files: pioneer.apk and pioneer.adb

7. To restore base apk (in my case)

adb install pioneer.apk

8. To restore data of your app (in my case)

adb restore pioneer.adb

Eventually, you should have a feel backup of you app with data folder.

This procedure has been created based on this source page:
https://gist.github.com/AnatomicJC/e773dd55ae60ab0b2d6dd2351eb977c1 \
Thanks to "@AnatomicJC"

Last edited:

PtKt

Apr 4, 2018

/data/app/jp.pioneer.avsoft.android.controlapp-PIpLM2ikeE7WRs7X2TlOFg==/base.apk pioneer.apk

5. To backup data of the application (including packet for controlling particular model)

adb install pioneer.apk

adb restore pioneer.adb

Thanks to "@AnatomicJC"
Gregory, thank you very much for your post!
First of all, I learned that I could stop checking my home network/router/settings etc.. to find the cause of the failing download.

I have the bluray player Pioneer MCS-FS232, with the controlapp working on my tablet.
I want to transfer the app to my phone.

I followed your steps:
Pulled the apk and backed up the data
I re-installed the app with adb install, and I restored the data with the commands above. Device report success after restoring data.

Unfortunately the app persists in asking for a download (also after restarting device). I tried also on another device, same result.

Could it be that the data restore command do need more specifications?

Thanks in advance for your reply...

Ptr

PS: the full command for step 4 would be (in my case)
adb pull /data/app/jp.pioneer.avsoft.android.controlapp-HjWUmVnui7FpTk0qKpQ3Ow==/base.apk pioneer.apk

you might want to add
adb pull
to your text in step 4

Reactions: gregory_cooky

gregory_cooky

Mar 31, 2016
Thanks PtKt for your post and correction regarding "adb pull" missing.

There's no problem with base apk:

The thing is the data files (downloaded from Pioneer servers when it was still possible). What's the version of system: on a tablet and phone?

Recently, I realized that this method works on Android 9-11 but not on Android 7 cause there's a different folder structure. It recognized CD receiver but crashes when trying to connect to it.

PtKt

Apr 4, 2018
Hello Gregory,
1. first tried it on my phone (where I had the app, but deleted it ( ). Android 11. This is the taarget-device. Not rooted. APK file installed with adb succesfully
2. when this did not work I tried on a tablet (rooted Asus transformer tf701t with timduru android 7). installed APK, date reports succes, but no working app.
3. device where the app works is Huawei tablet with android 10 (not rooted)
4. My computer is an old IMAC with Ununtu 20.4 lts

I tried to open the pioneer adb file, only partly accessible and only 5 lines.

I checked Androi/data/jp.pioneer.avsoft (etc), on my android 7 tablet, there is a map ' files' but without files.

tbc, Ptr

Last edited:

gregory_cooky

Mar 31, 2016
I'm not so advanced in this matter, but up to Android Version it's about folder /data/data/jp.pioneer... (and so on). You can't access it without root. Maybe you can do that via TWRP on Android 7 on later version it's an issue in easy way. Other solution is to use Magisk to manually copy needed files.
I'm not sure if referring to the system version different files were downloaded from Pioneer's serves. Unfortunately, I don't know.

PtKt

Apr 4, 2018
I'm not so advanced in this matter, but up to Android Version it's about folder /data/data/jp.pioneer... (and so on). You can't access it without root. Maybe you can do that via TWRP on Android 7 on later version it's an issue in easy way. Other solution is to use Magisk to manually copy needed files.
I'm not sure if referring to the system version different files were downloaded from Pioneer's serves. Unfortunately, I don't know.
Aiai.... after a few days of efforts my conclusion was that you need root access to your source device.
And then I re-read your solution and I saw that I overlooked the last part of point 2 of your solution....
"2. If you use Lineage OS allow Debugging or Root via ADB." I did allow USB debugging but I missed 'as Root or Root via ADB'

OK, it is a pity, I'm not going to root my Android 10 tablet where the working app lives. Meanwhile I learned a lot and that's always fun....

Thank you very much for your work, if I come across another solution I will report here.

Ptr

Reactions: gregory_cooky

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

/data/app/jp.pioneer.avsoft.android.controlapp-PIpLM2ikeE7WRs7X2TlOFg==/base.apk pioneer.apk

adb install pioneer.apk

adb restore pioneer.adb

Thanks to "@AnatomicJC"
    Gregory, thank you very much for your post!
    First of all, I learned that I could stop checking my home network/router/settings etc.. to find the cause of the failing download.

I have the bluray player Pioneer MCS-FS232, with the controlapp working on my tablet.
    I want to transfer the app to my phone.

I followed your steps:
    Pulled the apk and backed up the data
    I re-installed the app with adb install, and I restored the data with the commands above. Device report success after restoring data.

Unfortunately the app persists in asking for a download (also after restarting device). I tried also on another device, same result.

Could it be that the data restore command do need more specifications?

Thanks in advance for your reply...

Ptr

PS: the full command for step 4 would be (in my case)
    adb pull /data/app/jp.pioneer.avsoft.android.controlapp-HjWUmVnui7FpTk0qKpQ3Ow==/base.apk pioneer.apk

you might want to add
    adb pull
    to your text in step 4
    Aiai.... after a few days of efforts my conclusion was that you need root access to your source device.
    And then I re-read your solution and I saw that I overlooked the last part of point 2 of your solution....
    "2. If you use Lineage OS allow Debugging or Root via ADB." I did allow USB debugging but I missed 'as Root or Root via ADB'

OK, it is a pity, I'm not going to root my Android 10 tablet where the working app lives. Meanwhile I learned a lot and that's always fun....

Thank you very much for your work, if I come across another solution I will report here.

Ptr